HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Katz and Group Including Gretzky in Seattle *Oilers*

Old
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Katz and Group Including Gretzky in Seattle *Oilers*

Quote:
Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR
Breaking. A group representing the #Edmonton Oilers, including team president, owner was in Seattle today taking a tour of Key Arena. #NHL
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Hang on to your hats...sources tell 630 CHED's @ReidWilkins that Wayne Gretzky, Kevin Lowe & Patrick LaForge are accompanying Daryl Katz.
Now, 99% of this is posturing by Katz. The kick in the ass to the city of Edmonton he needs to get an arena deal done. Can't blame him for this move, really.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
senorchang

is this real life?

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
What a money-grubbing ******

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
lol at Gretzky being there.

Canada's biggest hockey superstar involved in trying to get a team out of the country? Suuuure. Total bluff.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Now, 99% of this is posturing by Katz. The kick in the ass to the city of Edmonton he needs to get an arena deal done. Can't blame him for this move, really.
Kick in the ass? He's trying to blackmail our city right now, not exactly a good way to foster goodwill in negotiations. This has turned high-stakes and hard headed.

What other leverage does Katz have? The only thing I can think of is that no mayor wants to be the one sitting in when the Oilers leave town. If they moved would he really make more money in Seattle? I'd love to see the Oilers' cash flow statements as of now, it would probably make Katz's proposals seem like a joke. There would be a 10-team death race to move to Edmonton if they moved and we would have a team back within 5 years if Katz got in too deep on his bluff.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:42 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Doesn't feel to good to be in that position eh Oilers fans?? Take it from experience as an NYI fan, we've been there. Best of luck to the Oilers on their attempt to get a new arena.

NYI365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Kick in the ass? He's trying to blackmail our city right now, not exactly a good way to foster goodwill in negotiations. This has turned high-stakes and hard headed.

What other leverage does Katz have? The only thing I can think of is that no mayor wants to be the one sitting in when the Oilers leave town. If they moved would he really make more money in Seattle? I'd love to see the Oilers' cash flow statements as of now, it would probably make Katz's proposals seem like a joke. There would be a 10-team death race to move to Edmonton if they moved and we would have a team back within 5 years if Katz got in too deep on his bluff.
Self-made billionaires don't **** around.

Twilight Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
jebs

Bluff or not, such a kick in the teeth to us fans who have been selling out rexall every freakin night to watch the worst team in the league.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

Hi, build me an arena. Thanks. Taxes? Sure, I'll pay. Seeing as the arena will help Edmonton actually turn into an actual, buzzing city, with things to do besides showing everyone an oversized mall. Need the arena, Deadmonton is not a flattering label. Do your thing Katz.

Signed
Annoyed Oilers Fan

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

I never said I agree with it. He'll get an arena deal done, and you guys (taxpayers) will be the ones eating **** for years over it.

I wonder if Bettman steps in and starts working this, like he did in Pitt? His absence will be telling, if he doesn't show up at any point.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
dubey
~manlets~

All those years at the bottom of the NHL only to build a team for Seattle

Sounds like a Charles Wang move

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
puckfan13

I just hate when Edmontonians bow down to Katz and basically want the mayor to hand bags of money to him hand over hand... There's other ways to get this done.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:51 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

They're were in Seattle to watch tonight's MNF game....and toured the arena to troll.... and it looks like it worked.
Oilers are going nowhere.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
All those years at the bottom of the NHL only to build a team for Seattle

Sounds like a Charles Wang move
More like an Art Modell move haha, Cleveland to Baltimore and they win a Super Bowl. That would make me cry.

Old
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I never said I agree with it. He'll get an arena deal done, and you guys (taxpayers) will be the ones eating **** for years over it.

I wonder if Bettman steps in and starts working this, like he did in Pitt? His absence will be telling, if he doesn't show up at any point.
A lot cheaper and a more significant benefit than paying for the Olympics.

Bettman has already been involved. Go back to sleep.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel View Post
Hi, build me an arena. Thanks. Taxes? Sure, I'll pay. Seeing as the arena will help Edmonton actually turn into an actual, buzzing city, with things to do besides showing everyone an oversized mall. Need the arena, Deadmonton is not a flattering label. Do your thing Katz.

Signed
Annoyed Oilers Fan
There's this side of it too, which I've argued for years in favour of taxpayers paying their share of publicly used facilities like a multi purpose entertainment center.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
More like an Art Modell move haha, Cleveland to Baltimore and they win a Super Bowl. That would make me cry.
Don't bring the NFL into this. The correct comparison would be the Nordiques to Colorado.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
kingpest19

So Katz tours an arena that's unfit for juniors and would require a complete overhaul to be suitable for the NHL? Seems like a major bluff to me.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
A lot cheaper and a more significant benefit than paying for the Olympics.

Bettman has already been involved. Go back to sleep.
Do you have some kind of misconception that I am trolling Oilers fans in some way?

Old
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Don't bring the NFL into this. The correct comparison would be the Nordiques to Colorado.
Didn't even think of that, slipped my mind.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
RogerRoeper*

They'll stay in Edmonton. City Council will bend-over for him over this move.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Quebec to Colorado?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel View Post

Signed
Annoyed Oilers Fan
Hate to say it but Deadmonton is the correct label. The city of Calgary is putting us to shame every year.

Hey you wanna build a multi million dollar art gallery in Edmonton noone will go to? Sure

But we wont give you money for an arena that will actually help out downtown

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Katz the richest owner of a Canadian team? I'm not talking of companies like Rogers+Bell etc, single owners like Pegula, Wang, Katz etc.

The Oilers have such passionate fans and he's pretty much forcing the city to pay more. It's a bluff but the city will cave in sooner or later sadly.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:

First of all... obvious leverage move which i don't believe goes anywhere.

But..
- Seattle would definitely make money because: A} new thing in town B} team is primed with young talent that will flourish just as the 'new franchise smell' starts to waiver.

- You may be right about teams lining up to come to Edmonton... but i doubt it would be without that new arena. Assuming for 1 split sec that Katz moves - it would be because of a failed arena deal. What are the chances the new prospective owners would fair any better? i.e. would they still line up without a new arena?

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote