HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 3.0 - Unbelievable++ Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 04:45 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Hey guys, i'm going to buy a Hockeystreams membership to watch Galchenyuk Later.... When i click Preview HQ Streams it works, but then when i click LQ Preview it just does this forever, any ideas?

I've tried Chrome/Firefox/IE Still does it for all of them... It Has happened on other sites before to so i don't think its something wrong with Hockeystreams
I've never seen that before but that little pylon is the icon for VLC Media Player...so you might need to download that. It's free (and a good media player to boot) so just Google it. If you already have VLC, maybe you need to update/reinstall it?

Old
10-07-2012, 04:47 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I've never seen that before but that little pylon is the icon for VLC Media Player...so you might need to download that. It's free (and a good media player to boot) so just Google it. If you already have VLC, maybe you need to update/reinstall it?
Yeah, i have VLC installed, and it works perfect, no clue what's going on... ill try reinstalling it, and see if that works

Last edited by 99GoHabsGo99: 10-08-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old
10-07-2012, 04:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Friday highlights:

Goal:

Assist:

And the highlights for his 4 point game on Saturday are available here:

http://www.sarniasting.com/video/index/id/1349581817

Last edited by hototogisu: 10-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You do see it turning now with Grigo point total and Gally "slow" start.....it might change to sarcasm again if Gally keeps his production.
You misunderstood...If Gally keeps this production level of the last 2 games going it will just lead to more sarcasm/mocking from us of the ''comparison'' that was being made based on a handful of games.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
People forget that the habs brass would be elated if Galchenyuk develop as 70pts+ 2-way power-forward center like a Jonathan Toews. Forget Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, Thornton or any pure scorer center.

As of right now he is on the right path to do so!
A power forwards records more than 32 hits a season. Gally is not a power-forward.

He look's like a very lite version of Crosby. He's amazing in every aspects. Just way way less than Crosby.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Gally's second goal at ~3:20 was great, the way he got the puck, cross zone passed it, then crashed the net and found a lane to tap in the pass back

Old
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Since we're still talking about comparisons, I still think the Marian Hossa comparison is the best one. Strong player (but not a power forward), consistent 70-80 point threat, very good 2-way player. Galchenyuk is definitely grittier than Hossa, but I don't see him putting up 100 points like Hossa did either.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Since we're still talking about comparisons, I still think the Marian Hossa comparison is the best one. Strong player (but not a power forward), consistent 70-80 point threat, very good 2-way player. Galchenyuk is definitely grittier than Hossa, but I don't see him putting up 100 points like Hossa did either.
Hossa is basically the winger version of Crosby So, yeah pretty much this.

Keep in mind at the time Hossa scored 100 points, the league was at one of his highest scoring in recent history(post lockout.) 7 players broke the 100 point mark. The highest it has been since this year was 3 100 points player.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think a good, best case, type of comparison is Tavares.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tavares is much more of an offensive wizzard than Gally.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Tavares is much more of an offensive wizzard than Gally.
Perhaps, but I'm mostly referring to their similar size, high skill level, "knack", as well as the fact they are both sort of "half court" types of players.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm mostly referring to their similar size, high skill level, "knack", as well as the fact they are both sort of "half court" types of players.
Poor comparison IMO. Tavares has a higher skill level but doesn't compete as well as Galchenyuk defensively.

The Toews comparison is a decent one as they play similar styles but Toews is a better skater. There never is an exact comparison but a couple of older ones that I would use are Bernie Federko and Thomas Steen.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Lebowski

I disagree with that.

Galchenyuk is a much more explosive, gritty player and has more of that sniper aspect to his game.

Tavares a cerebral player that doesn't have the greatest shot or skating skills, but he's a very cerebral player.

I don't think they are very good comparable at all.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
I disagree with that.

Galchenyuk is a much more explosive, gritty player and has more of that sniper aspect to his game.

Tavares a cerebral player that doesn't have the greatest shot or skating skills, but he's a very cerebral player.

I don't think they are very good comparable at all.
Are you kidding???????????

Tavares has a ridiculous shot/release.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

He never struck me as a top notch shooter honestly.

To me, ridiculous release equals guys like Semin, Kovalchuk, A. Kostitsyn, Stamkos.

Tavares is not part of this group. I guess I never really paid attention though. Who would you compare him to, shooting-wise?

Old
10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

Yup, and he's also improved his stride enough where his skating is comparable to Gallys (presently). And they are about the same size.

It's not a perfect comparison, but among centers in the league it's pretty solid (though admittedly not as good as the often tossed around Toews comparison. )

Old
10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
HabsPassion

To be honest, I would compare Galchenyuk to Zach Parise + A few inches.

1. Both have Great Leadership Abilities
2. Both are Solid 2-Way Players
3. Both have great vision
4. Solid skating (Galchenyuk is not as explosive, but think he will progress one day to Parise's level).
5. Both seem to be extremely hard-working.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
He never struck me as a top notch shooter honestly.

To me, ridiculous release equals guys like Semin, Kovalchuk, A. Kostitsyn, Stamkos.

Tavares is not part of this group. I guess I never really paid attention though. Who would you compare him to, shooting-wise?
Tavares has drawn many comparisons to Mike Bossy as he is deadly from below the hash marks. You are correct in saying that he doesn't have the raw shot power of Stamkos and company but it is still very good. It is his accuracy and release that are truly elite.

These comparisons to Bossy were very common when he was with Oshawa/London but he has changed his game to be more of a playmaker at the pro level. I expect him to eventually put up some gawdy goal totals when he learns to be more assertive much like Crosby has.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:19 PM
That

Quote:
If you watched Tavares last year, you'd know how dominant he was at times last year. He took over more games last season (in the NHL), than Galchenyuk has in his OHL career.

Tavares vision may be the best in the league and on top of that he has ridiculous hands. Galchenyuk has great vision and top notch hands, but not even close to Tavares' level. Tavares does also have an incredible shot, but he just doesn't use it enough.

I don't see some of these comparisons (Tavares, Toews, Parise, etc.). Maybe in terms of skill sets some may be close, but the way they move around the ice, or how they use that skill sets are completely different. Galchenyuk is an extremely unique player, but if I had to compare him:

Quote:
This is the best comparison and the best description.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
To be honest, I would compare Galchenyuk to Zach Parise + A few inches.

1. Both have Great Leadership Abilities
2. Both are Solid 2-Way Players
3. Both have great vision
4. Solid skating (Galchenyuk is not as explosive, but think he will progress one day to Parise's level).
5. Both seem to be extremely hard-working.
Very astute comparison.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:24 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
If you watched Tavares last year, you'd know how dominant he was at times last year. He took over more games last season (in the NHL), than Galchenyuk has in his OHL career.

Tavares vision may be the best in the league and on top of that he has ridiculous hands. Galchenyuk has great vision and top notch hands, but not even close to Tavares' level. Tavares does also have an incredible shot, but he just doesn't use it enough.
I'm well aware of how awesome a player Tavares is. It was an absolute ceiling comparison, and anyone who has followed JT will tell you what is most impressive is the development he has made, as he has greatly improved his skating. If Gally can make similar strides, I do think he has similar upside.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:28 PM
That

Quote:
I'm well aware of how awesome a player Tavares is. It was an absolute ceiling comparison, and anyone who has followed JT will tell you what is most impressive is the development he has made, as he has greatly improved his skating. If Gally can make similar strides, I do think he has similar upside.
Fair enough. I always felt that his skating issues were overblown, but maybe I was just in awe of everything else he could do .

I don't think that Galchenyuk's speed or technique is a problem area in his skating, but it's more of acceleration. He can just blow past people he gets going, but very rarely does he reach that speed.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I disagree that Tavares has greatly improved his skating. He has improved but the truth of the matter is that his skating defficiencies as a teenager were grossly overblown as he was under a microscope for years before he was drafted. He has always been a decent skater but will never be an explosive skater. Every player in the NHL has improved their skating from the time that they were drafted. Tavares is no different but he is not an exceptional example in this case.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I disagree that Tavares has greatly improved his skating. He has improved but the truth of the matter is that his skating defficiencies as a teenager were grossly overblown as he was under a microscope for years before he was drafted. He has always been a decent skater but will never be an explosive skater. Every player in the NHL has improved their skating from the time that they were drafted. Tavares is no different but he is not an exceptional example in this case.
It's your prerogative to disagree, and while I do think he was unfairly having his game picked apart thanks to being under a microscope, the impressive development of his skating is pretty obvious. Not that he's a flyer out there now, but he was able to turn his almost pedestrian skating into something that is now very solid/good.

I think he would even admit as much, as he made the strides after the OHL adjusted to him of sorts, and has continued to develop in that area as he expands his game.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Mrb1p

Why can't we have a Tavares

Closed Thread