HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

10/17/13 "Head Coach To Goalie Tom" - Bruins VS Panthers

View Poll Results: How does Thomas fare against his old team?
Thomas will be remarkable and get a you-know-what-out. 6 17.65%
Tim will do just enough to win. 13 38.24%
Thomas will be rusty and won't be able to keep the Panthers in it. 10 29.41%
Has anyone seen Scott Clemmensen lately? 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
10/17/13 "Head Coach To Goalie Tom" - Bruins VS Panthers

Get ready as your Florida Panthers take on the Boston Bruins! Game time at 7:30pm EST live from BB&T Center!

So continues the goalie odyssey...

TV: Live on FSN Florida and Center Ice.
Radio: Listen Live on 560 WQAM

VS

Standings
Florida:
Wins Losses OTL/SOL Total Points
2 5 0 4

Boston:
Wins Losses OTL/SOL Total Points
320 6

Injuries
Boston:
Player Date Of Incident Status Injury
Marc Savard 2013-09-07 on injured reserve and will miss the entire season post-concussion syndrome
Carl Soderberg 2013-10-01 on injured reserve swollen ankle

Florida:
Player Date Of Incident Status Injury
Ed Jovanovski 2013-09-25 on injured reserve hip surgery
Steve Pinizzotto 2013-09-25 on injured reserve hip
Sean Bergenheim 2013-10-02 on injured reserve hip/abdominal surgery

Line Combinations (Subject To Change)
Boston:
LW C RW
Milan LucicDavid KrejciJarome Iginla
Reilly SmithPatrice BergeronLoui Eriksson
Brad MarchandChris KellyJordan Caron
Daniel PailleGregory CampbellShawn Thornton

LDRD
Zdeno CharaJohnny Boychuk
Dennis SeidenbergMatt Bartkowski
Torey KrugAdam McQuaid

Florida:
LW C RW
Jonathan HuberdeauScott GomezKris Versteeg
Tomas FleischmannAleksander BarkovBrad Boyes
Scottie UpshallNick BjustadTomas Kopecky
Jesse WinchesterMarcel GocShawn Matthias

LDRD
Brian CampbellTom Gilbert
Dmitry KulikovMike Weaver
Erik GudbransonMatt Gilroy

Expected Starting Goaltenders
Boston:
Tuukka Rask
GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
5 3 20 1.41 .951 0

VS.

Florida:
Tim Thomas
GP W L OTL GAA SV% SO
3 1 2 0 5.02 .8500

Special Teams
Boston:
PP%PP RankPK%PK Rank
10.5%25th86.7%4th

Florida:
PP%PP RankPK%PK Rank
10.7%24th82.6%12th

Team Leaders
Boston:
GoalsMilan Lucic3
AssistsDavid Krejci4
PointsMilan Lucic5
+/-Johnny Boychuk+3
PIMShawn Thornton17
WTuukka Rask3
LTuukka Rask2
GAATuukka Rask1.41
SV%Tuukka Rask.951
SONoneN/A

Florida:
GoalsBrad Boyes4
AssistsTomas Fleischmann6
PointsTomas Fleischmann7
+/-Drew Shore+1
PIMErik Gudbranson30
WJacob Markstrom/Tim Thomas1
LJacob Markstrom3
GAAJacob Markstrom3.60
SV%Jacob Markstrom.882
SONoneN/A

Current Eastern Conference Standings

News And Notes
Quote:
Coach Kevin Dineen rarely announces his plans for who is in net and followed suit on Wednesday afternoon. When asked about Thomas going back into goal after missing the past week with a groin issue, Dineen said Thomas was "questionable."

A few hours later, the Panthers sent out a tweet saying Thomas would indeed start -- then changed it to "play" against the Bruins.

No one I've spoken to will tell me definitively that information came from Dineen. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#storylink=cpy
George Richards' Blog of the Miami Herald:Your Source For Reliable, Early Panthers Info!

Red Eye: The Ex-Panther Watch

Gregory Campbell was well liked in South Florida and it came as a bit of a surprise when he was traded along with Nathan Horton to Boston. He was part of the bargaining chip to get defenseman Dennis Wideman, and more importantly, led to 1st round drafting of current center Nick Bjustad. The two centers square off tonight, and while Bjustad is still trying to make an impact, Campbell has not only already won a cup with Boston, he became a hero to the team for his broken leg shift in the playoffs last year.

Red Hot: Cat Of The Night

Jonathan Huberdeau, the reigning Calder Trophy winner has picked up where he left off last season with a few great goals against Pittsburgh and Nashville. The sky is the limit for Huberdeau.

Last Game VS. Bruins

Last Game Played

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
17 game winning streak starts...........NOW.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I was going to post in other thread but closed:

-Markie was being praised by all the posters around here early in the season which I did not fully get, now being BASHED? Are you kidding me? He's been average to above average. Does he need to be better? Yes. Do others need to be better on this team including those players on the backend in front of him? Hell ya. His rebound control can be a little better especially on soft shots in high slot area, but far from horrid. He does play deep in the net, but started to play out of the net more in Nashville and challenged shooters most of the night. The turnovers need to STOP , it's killing Markstrom on GA.

-Forwards are just as much to blame as some of these dmen. Come back hard, play the body etc... Gomez and Versteeg (yet again no surprise) looked horrible on that one goal and looked like little boys trying to clear the front of the net. This has been Huberdeau's weakness too this season, backcheck!

-People want to trade Kuli now I wanted him dealt for a guy like Stastny which would had forced our hand to draft Seth Jones. Do I like the Barkov pick? Oh yes wanted him #2 all along, but that was the chance there to move Kuli. I feel his value is starting to slip now, and might not ever return to where it once was. OT: Why does Vanek want to go to Minny? Hemsky is a decent option, but a PASS FIRST guy. Versteeg has to go.

-Bjugstad and Guds better not be moved before Kuli/Shore are. Versteeg should be the first to go.

-Thomas better pull his socks up and do something here soon...pressure is on the vet; not Markie.

-I like the Weaver battle between: MarkstromRules and CHI posters.

I'm not optimistic about this homestand, but a win versus Bruins could get it started towards 3 out of 4 wins.

Last edited by CanadianPantherFan: 10-17-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old
10-16-2013, 09:48 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Nice post CPF,

I know everyone wants #32 gone but who's willing to take him? That would make it his 5th team in his short career at his cap hit. I think the most viable option is for him to be bought out but I don't see that happening either. Honestly the only way I see Versteeg traded is packaged with either Shore/Kulikov/Goc. I would be happy if Versteeg and Shore could net us a legitimate top 6 "sniper". Easier said then done though.

We would have to take a healthy cap hit coming back in a trade if Versteeg is part of it as he still has 2.85 years left @ $4.4mil. We may have to bite the bullet this year and hopefully he can put up 40-50pts somehow and then re-evaluate what to do with him in the offseason. Tallon just re-signed the guy so I doubt you will see him leaving anytime soon.

If it came down to Kuli or Guds leaving in a trade I'd prefer Kuli to go to be honest. Guds brings toughness that this team lacks big time. He fights and can still imporve his game immensely as he's only 21. I'd hate to see either go to another team and flourish in 2-3 years time.

I think Goc or Weaver with an added pick will be our trade bait this year. Everyone asking for a huge trade will be let down. Trading Bjugstad would be a big mistake for any asking for that as well. The guy will be an amazing two-way Center and hopefully he will slot into #2C behind Barkov in a year or two.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:52 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
I was going to post in other thread but closed:

-Markie was being praised by all the posters around here early in the season which I did not get fully get, now being BASHED? Are you kidding me? He's been average to above average. Does he need to be better? Yes. Do others need to be better on this team including those players on the backend in front of him? Hell ya. His rebound control can be a little better especially on soft shots in high slot area, but far from horrid. He does play deep in the net, but started to play out of the net more in Nashville and challenged shooters most of the night. The turnovers need to STOP , it's killing Markstrom on GA.

-Forwards are just as much to blame as some of these dmen. Come back hard, play the body etc... Gomez and Versteeg (yet again no surprise) looked horrible on that one goal and looked like little boys trying to clear the front of the net. This has been Huberdeau's weakness too this season, backcheck!

-People want to trade Kuli now I wanted him dealt for a guy like Stastny which would had forced our hand to draft Seth Jones. Do I like the Barkov pick? Oh yes wanted him #2 all along, but that was the chance there to move Kuli. I feel his value is starting to slip now, and might not ever return to where it once was. OT: Why does Vanek want to go to Minny? Hemsky is a decent option, but a PASS FIRST guy. Versteeg has to go.

-Bjugstad and Guds better not be moved before Kuli/Shore are. Versteeg should be the first to go.

-Thomas better pull his socks up and do something here soon...pressure is on the vet; not Markie.

-I like the Weaver battle between: MarkstromRules and CHI posters.

I'm not optimistic about this homestand, but a win versus Bruins could get it started towards 3 out of 4 wins.
I really don't thin we have to worry about Bjugs or Guds going anywhere unless something really big is heading our way. I think Versteeg is a given, and the only way I see him sticking around is if there is literally no market for him, or Tallon refuses to deal one of "his guys".

I also agree with your Markstrom comments. I've been criticizing him but I've said many times, there are far more problems with this team than just goaltending, and those need to improve before we can expect any results in net.

Boston is going to be hella-tough to beat. Would be nice to win but I really don't expect it, even less than I did against Pittsburgh. Boston is just so big and they will just push us around. It could get ugly unless Timmy stands on his head.

Old
10-17-2013, 05:13 AM
PSLguy

Nice work, and love the David Bowie reference, on the GDT!

Once again I am just looking for a solid 60 minute effort. If they do this often enough the wins and points will come.

Lets go P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!

Old
10-17-2013, 06:04 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Nice post CPF,

I know everyone wants #32 gone but who's willing to take him? That would make it his 5th team in his short career at his cap hit. I think the most viable option is for him to be bought out but I don't see that happening either. Honestly the only way I see Versteeg traded is packaged with either Shore/Kulikov/Goc. I would be happy if Versteeg and Shore could net us a legitimate top 6 "sniper". Easier said then done though.

We would have to take a healthy cap hit coming back in a trade if Versteeg is part of it as he still has 2.85 years left @ $4.4mil. We may have to bite the bullet this year and hopefully he can put up 40-50pts somehow and then re-evaluate what to do with him in the offseason. Tallon just re-signed the guy so I doubt you will see him leaving anytime soon.
IMO Versteeg is tradeable, but we'd have to take a similar struggling (constant injuries or inconsistency mainly) player on the same money/term back.

Counting in this year, Versteeg is owed 13 million over 3 years. Same kind of players IMO:

Buffalo: Stafford 8M over 2 years.
Buffalo: Leino 15M over 4 years.
Carolina: Ruutu 15M over 3 years.
Vancouver: Booth 9.25M over 2 years (yeah yeah, never going to happen, I know).
Washington: Erat 6M over 2 years.

Not familiar with what Ruutu's role and how Canes right handed depth is, but a Ruutu for Versteeg swap could benefit both teams. Tallon did trade him away thou, so maybe there's some bad blood between the two.

Erat could be interesting (Oates has some weird fetish that he wants to play lefties on LW and righties on RW, Erat is a leftie RW), and we could easily retain some of Versteeg's salary (1M?) since the drop off between the two contracts is 7 million.

Old
10-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Boooooth10

I like the Bowie reference

Old
10-17-2013, 06:48 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Don't like it, but I'll deal with it.
Hate to use the phrase "I told you so", but, you know.

Old
10-17-2013, 07:42 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Boston's powerplay looked ineffective against Detroit (their last game, Det won 3-2), so they have their own problems. Lots of shots but not even near the net (sounds familiar? ).

Old
10-17-2013, 08:23 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

@Soupy Fin

Ya I'd be willing to do a Stafford for Versteeg trade anyday of the week but is Buffalo willing?

The other players you mentioned don't interest me enough. Versteeg can still produce offensively but ya his defensive part of the game is non-existent.

Florida can beat Boston but it will take the all around effort they had against the Penguins.

Old
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
gudzilla

hopefully the gudbranosaurus rex crushes someone today. i want a punishing hit

Old
10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
@Soupy Fin

Ya I'd be willing to do a Stafford for Versteeg trade anyday of the week but is Buffalo willing?
Have no idea really, I was just looking at capgeek for underperforming players with high salary, and his name stood out.

I'm past the point of caring what could be had in return for Steeg, just want that bum gone for good.

Old
10-17-2013, 10:22 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Florida can beat Boston but it will take the all around effort they had against the Penguins.
Exactly what I was going to say. The effort last game "at times" wasn't bad, but with the Bruins defense and Rask in net, they're going to have to start attempting to get something going from the start. A full 60 minute effort and not even a two goal lead is safe.

Old
10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
sooshii
Living the dream

Hi guys. B's fan in peace.

Is there a story behind Timmy's white mask? thanks.

Looking forward to tonight. No injuries!

Old
10-17-2013, 11:25 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

awesome GDT

My feelings on the goaltending: Clearly Marky hasn't done well enough early on to take the 1a goalie position. Clearly he hasn't done poor enough to lose the B/U position.
Had Marky "stole" a game or 2 the convo would be different. He's developing and as is the blueprint, he will improve as the season progresses with NHL experience as the 1b/2a.

Old
10-17-2013, 11:26 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post

I believe a mask is being produced and this is just a temp.

Question for you...Are most Bfans rooting for him or against (tonight aside)?

Come by and say hi anytime.

Old
10-17-2013, 11:32 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Let's see energy and hustle all night long. Make the easy pass and put biscuits on the net.

Go Florida Panthers Go!

Old
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
I have been a Bruins fan all my life and just once in my 42 year old life have I ever routed for another team. When #77 went to the Aves. Well today is second time. Love my beloved B's but ........ you get where I'm going without me spelling it out.

Good luck Timmy and Brad!

Old
10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
klabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post

Apparently, this is a preview of his mask.
http://seenive.com/v/1002569248998158336

Old
10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

I'm not saying a word!

Old
10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

Rooting for the Bruins, not rooting against Timmay(if that makes any sense) but if you guys do get a win I would hope it was because TT stood on his head, and not that we just stunk it up.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:56 PM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
I for one love TT and wish him nothing but the best and hope his career with you guys is a great one. I of course hope that he loses tonight and every time he plays the B's or a game that might affect our standing in the division/conference.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I'll be at the game tonight. Hoping for no defensive turnovers and Thomas saving the day.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I'll be at the game tonight. Hoping for no defensive turnovers and Thomas saving the day.

Closed Thread