Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Further thought on this, to get high-end talent, you usually draft it - very difficult to get via FA (for Jets, most likely) or trade (as you normally have to give far too many pieces the other way).

Therefore, if i was Chevy and you have a top 3 or 5 pick, go for the high-end offensive guy. You may not have a chance to get a player like that any other way.
I agree.

In general I lean towards prospects with offensive upside. Even if that offensive upside comes with a slightly greater boom or bust element, I want the offensive upside. Scoring is just way way way harder to find.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:43 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Others to consider should the pick not be as high as we all hope are .....

Hudson Fasching

Frederik Gauthier

Anthony Mantha

William Carrier

Ryan Hartman

Ryan Kujawinski

For defensemen, I really like Steve Santini.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Yeah, I've been saying if Hudson Fasching makes it to the second, he'll have his name high on Winnipeg's list.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Daddy Longlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Who are some first rounders for this draft that seem to fit the mold of a Chevy pick?
If I had to guess I'd say the top of our draft list might look like this

MacKinnon
Jones
Monahan
Nurse
Lazar
Erne

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barkov or Lindholm high on the list despite being European. I really don't think Drouin would attract Chevy and probably not Shinkaruk either.
I think Chevy would be borderline ******** to not have Barkov and Lindholm on his list. Like, extremely high on his list. If we pick between 3 and 5, we'd better take one of them. Drouin or Monahan would be the only other acceptables IMO. I do some how feel that they are slightly lesser players though. Would be ecstatic to get either of them between 5 and 7 though.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Chevy seems to also value high hockey IQ as well - that would explain Wellwood, and although Scheifele brings other assets to the table, it would also partially explain that pick.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
I think Chevy would be borderline ******** to not have Barkov and Lindholm on his list. Like, extremely high on his list. If we pick between 3 and 5, we'd better take one of them. Drouin or Monahan would be the only other acceptables IMO. I do some how feel that they are slightly lesser players though. Would be ecstatic to get either of them between 5 and 7 though.
I agree. The Jets have defiantly shown a tendency, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to blindly follow that in the event that a player with superior talent is available.

Barkov is in the mix for #1. If TNSE had him behind guys like Nurse, Lazar, and Erne, that would be a real head scratcher for me (to put it lightly).

Same for Lindholm. If the team projects him as a top 3 forward and the guy available who fits their mold as a 2-3rd liner, it would be crazy to me to think the team would take the 2-3rd line tweener.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree. The Jets have defiantly shown a tendency, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to blindly follow that in the event that a player with superior talent is available.

Barkov is in the mix for #1. If TNSE had him behind guys like Nurse, Lazar, and Erne, that would be a real head scratcher for me (to put it lightly).

Same for Lindholm. If the team projects him as a top 3 forward and the guy available who fits their mold as a 2-3rd liner, it would be crazy to me to think the team would take the 2-3rd line tweener.
Gawd, i would hope so, too.

This draft looks more and more exciting. A top 5 pick and you get either Barkov, Mackinnon, Jones, Lindholm or Drouin. Any of those forwards in the top 5 to 7 would go a long way in helping the Jets become a contender in a few years.

If there's no season, and a draft lottery gives us a mid-round pick (14-20), i'm going to be pissed.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:14 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Anybody remember the one time that Couturier was in the mix for #1?
How about that other time when Grigerenko was on the mix for #1?

Who knows what will happen.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

There's quite a few 2013 eligible draft prospects playing in the WJC. Besides the usual top 10 players like McKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Drouin, etc, are there any that people are keeping a specific eye on? A couple for me are...

Nick Sorensen - RW - Swe
Artturi Lehkonen - RW - Fin
Ryan Hartman - RW - USA
Valeri Nichushkin - LW - Rus
Marko Dano - C/RW - Slovakia

One of the good things about most of these players is it's also an area of need in the organization (RW).

Old
12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Anybody remember the one time that Couturier was in the mix for #1?
How about that other time when Grigerenko was on the mix for #1?

Who knows what will happen.
The jets still picked guys they considered first line, top pair guys (Scheifele , Trouba).

My point was that it would be puzzling for the team to draft a guy who they think has less talent.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
The jets still picked guys they considered first line, top pair guys (Scheifele , Trouba).

My point was that it would be puzzling for the team to draft a guy who they think has less talent.
I agree. I was just being contrary for the sake of it.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:31 PM
nabby12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
There's quite a few 2013 eligible draft prospects playing in the WJC. Besides the usual top 10 players like McKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Drouin, etc, are there any that people are keeping a specific eye on? A couple for me are...

Nick Sorensen - RW - Swe
Artturi Lehkonen - RW - Fin
Ryan Hartman - RW - USA
Valeri Nichushkin - LW - Rus
Marko Dano - C/RW - Slovakia

One of the good things about most of these players is it's also an area of need in the organization (RW).
lol the Jets will select no europeans for the third straight year.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
lol the Jets will select no europeans for the third straight year.
It's possible, but definitely not a certainty.

Care to respond to my question that post?

Old
12-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Jetsfareast
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 300
There will be no NHL and the jets will be picking top six, who will it be?

Old
12-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
There will be no NHL and the jets will be picking top six, who will it be?
Monahan or Lindholm. Whomever is still available.

I would think Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov and Drouin will be picked by then.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:31 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 777
This simulator is kind of fun to play around with. First time I tried it the Jets got 1st pick.

http://timgur.com/nhl/draft/index#

Old
12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
This simulator is kind of fun to play around with. First time I tried it the Jets got 1st pick.

I ran it 4 times and the Jets never got a better position than 16th! 5th time around they got the 10th pick.

Update: and then I ran it a hundred more times and the Jets finished in the top 10 about 60% of the time, 11-20 about 30% and 21-30 about 10%.

Last edited by Gm0ney: 12-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post

The Bettman simulation is funny, although I think Phoenix would win if that's the case.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Loved what I saw out of Marko Dano today. The one concern I had with him was physicality, and he proved today that he could handle the hitting and toughness of the Canadian juniors while still being a great offensive threat. Throwing hits, driving the net, standing out front, while still have his slick hands and overall hockey smarts. I really really hope the Jets nab him in the 2nd-4th round this year...

Old
12-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Loved what I saw out of Marko Dano today. The one concern I had with him was physicality, and he proved today that he could handle the hitting and toughness of the Canadian juniors while still being a great offensive threat. Throwing hits, driving the net, standing out front, while still have his slick hands and overall hockey smarts. I really really hope the Jets nab him in the 2nd-4th round this year...
Dano played well today. I believe the knock on him was size and speed, but he looked fine today.

With multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks, he would be a guy to follow for sure.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Dano played well today. I believe the knock on him was size and speed, but he looked fine today.

With multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks, he would be a guy to follow for sure.
Oh, I've been following him for a while (posted about him a while back ). His size and ability to battle was really my only concern. I've watched him play quite a bit with Slovan Bratislava in the KHL, and he has great hands, great shot, great offensive awareness (vision), very shifty player. His top end speed is not great, but his game would be more comparable to a Burmistrov (although not as polished yet, nor is his defensive game at Burmistrov's level), where top end speed is not really necessary to be effective. But the way he battled for goals and position in the corners and out front against the Canadians was very encouraging.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Oh, I've been following him for a while (posted about him a while back ). His size and ability to battle was really my only concern. I've watched him play quite a bit with Slovan Bratislava in the KHL, and he has great hands, great shot, great offensive awareness (vision), very shifty player. His top end speed is not great, but his game would be more comparable to a Burmistrov (although not as polished yet, nor is his defensive game at Burmistrov's level), where top end speed is not really necessary to be effective. But the way he battled for goals and position in the corners and out front against the Canadians was very encouraging.
Weren't you at all concerned by his lack of play without the puck? Pretty much invisible IMO. He's definitely dangerous on the PP. Small players that lack top end speed always worry me. I'd still take a flyer on him from the 3rd round on.

Last edited by Paradise: 12-28-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Weren't you at all concerned by his lack of play without the puck? Pretty much invisible IMO. He's definitely dangerous on the PP. Small players that lack top end speed always worry me. I'd still take a flyer on him from the 3rd round on.
Not really sure what you are talking about? I am currently re watching the game with my bro, so I am watching him specifically on this rewatch, but I saw 3-4 solid hits by Dano on the original, plus saw him several times (including his first goal) doing good work out front of the net standing his ground, and winning a few puck battles in the corners (although he lost a few as well).

He's dangerous on more than the PP, IMO. Dangerous every time he touched the puck (which was ALOT last game ). He is not fast, but he is shifty ala Patrick Kane/Alex Burmistrov, so I am not too concerned about his skating myself. He is not like a Azevedo/Locke, his skating is vastly superior to those guys, particularly his agility, which is very good, IMO(which is why I say "shifty" skater). Although in general I do agree with you about the small/bad skater thing.

He just average size (5'11'', 180lbs), does not have blazing speed, and not a grinder. He is the type of player that will be a top 6 or bust, for sure. Lots of risk, but his upside is extremely high.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Not really sure what you are talking about? I am currently re watching the game with my bro, so I am watching him specifically on this rewatch, but I saw 3-4 solid hits by Dano on the original, plus saw him several times (including his first goal) doing good work out front of the net standing his ground, and winning a few puck battles in the corners (although he lost a few as well).

He's dangerous on more than the PP, IMO. Dangerous every time he touched the puck (which was ALOT last game ). He is not fast, but he is shifty ala Patrick Kane/Alex Burmistrov, so I am not too concerned about his skating myself. He is not like a Azevedo/Locke, his skating is vastly superior to those guys, particularly his agility, which is very good, IMO(which is why I say "shifty" skater). Although in general I do agree with you about the small/bad skater thing.

He just average size (5'11'', 180lbs), does not have blazing speed, and not a grinder. He is the type of player that will be a top 6 or bust, for sure. Lots of risk, but his upside is extremely high.
The defensive side of his play, mostly (which could be worked on). Besides today's game, I'm talking about the other times I've seen him play. Good offensively, but like you said top 6 or bust. He seems to get back late on the back check and needs work on his gap control IMO.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
For what it's worth (which is probably nothing), as of my typing this, there have been 43176 drafts simulated on that website. Winnipeg finished with the best average draft position of any team (10.619)

Closed Thread