Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

vCash: 500
I believe that the Jets scout was tonight in Jokerit-Kalpa game watching Artturi Lehkonen. Meanwhile Barkov:

Old
02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post
I believe that the Jets scout was tonight in Jokerit-Kalpa game watching Artturi Lehkonen. Meanwhile Barkov:

That's just sick. Almost unfair to goalies that he could pull off moves such as that. Dare I say, it's almost a "Datsyukian" type move.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
What do you guys think about Ryan Pulock? D man from the Brandon Wheat Kings with 154 points in 197 games. At 6'1 211 and a shot that was clocked at 101 MPH he could be good pick if we dont get one of the top 5 picks.

Not really sold on Pulock. He's definitely an interesting prospect, but again, there are just so many other options that are equally talented and are of greater need.

If they do in fact target a defenseman, I'd rather it be Ristolainen, Zadorov, or Nurse, but the way things are shaping up, it's not out of the question that they will be selecting much higher than we anticipated. If that's the case, outside of Jones, you're going for one of the top end forwards when picking that high.

Like others have mentioned, there are some pretty good defensemem that can be had later in Steven Santini, Ian McCoshen, Robert Hagg and Dillon Heatherington.

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-17-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
What do you guys think about Ryan Pulock? D man from the Brandon Wheat Kings with 154 points in 197 games. At 6'1 211 and a shot that was clocked at 101 MPH he could be good pick if we dont get one of the top 5 picks.
Pulock is by far my favourite defenseman. I disagree with some earlier posters. Even though he's a right-handed D, if he was available I'd take him over any other D.

An outstanding blend of offensive and defensive skills to go with a very solid hockey IQ. Plus he has one of the hardest slappers seen in a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I would personally prefer to get Nurse/Zadorov with our first (I can't say which one would be better). If we can get a franchise center that's great but if management feels the talent level is equal, the weakest positions in our organization are LD and RW.

That, plus the fact it generally takes longer for D to round into form than a forward and I think a high end LD would be the best for us going forward.
I really like Zadorov. Can't say that enough. However, he's still my second favourite D in this draft behind Pulock.

Earlier I had posted in this thread when Nurse was a relative unknown, but now he's recently shot up draft boards which I don't necessarily agree with. I think some are heavily overrating Nurses intangibles, mainly his nastiness. He's a very physical player, but I'm still not sold on his offensive skills climbing much higher and he hasn't done much to alleviate my concerns over some of his defensive positioning and gap control. Right now I think Nurse is getting quite overrated.

Zadorov also has some questions offensively, but he is absolutely elite defensively. His positioning, gap control, skating and blend of physicality with a great poke check make him impossible to beat one on one. Zadorov also has a knack for making turnovers in the neutral zone and helps transition a quick counter-attack for the London Knights. Whether or not Zadorov develops a great offensive game I still see him as a top pairing defenseman because he is just so good defensively in every facet you could want.

In summary Pulock, Zadorov, and Nurse all have the upside to be top defenseman. At their best I think Pulock has the best shot at being a number one, while Zadorov is a top pairing elite shutdown defenseman with solid puck movement skills, Nurse has top pairing upside, but I very seriously doubt he reaches it. Nurse has good intangibles, but I don't think he becomes better than a #3 or #4 defenseman.

Last edited by Sweech: 02-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
jetkarma

Depends where , if Wpg has a chance , either to draft where they are or move up to get the elite C or offensive player this draft , they have to seriously decide if they can do that imo.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Huffer

Sweech, where do you put RR in that list? (RR, Pulock, Zadorov, Nurse)

Do you not like him, or just forget to add him in?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Depends where , if Wpg has a chance , either to draft where they are or move up to get the elite C or offensive player this draft , they have to seriously decide if they can do that imo.
I agree.

The Jets really really really need a #1C and that is far and away the hardest position to fill if FA or the late rounds of the draft.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I agree.

The Jets really really really need a #1C and that is far and away the hardest position to fill if FA or the late rounds of the draft.
At some point you have to "make it happen" ...it doesn't always fall into your lap . This year it seems there are several legitimate answers to that #1C position , making one available lower than pick 1 or 2 for example.

Now if you finish with pick 12 it makes it much harder , but if you finish with 7 or 8 , you would have to pay a steep price , but it is possible.

I think this year Wpg. needs to seriously look at this option if they finish around that area. Getting that C1 gets the team closer to where it needs to and , imo the sooner the better.

If you get the right guy , the price is almost always worth it .

Old
02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
At some point you have to "make it happen" ...it doesn't always fall into your lap . This year it seems there are several legitimate answers to that #1C position , making one available lower than pick 1 or 2 for example.

Now if you finish with pick 12 it makes it much harder , but if you finish with 7 or 8 , you would have to pay a steep price , but it is possible.

I think this year Wpg. needs to seriously look at this option if they finish around that area. Getting that C1 gets the team closer to where it needs to and , imo the sooner the better.

If you get the right guy , the price is almost always worth it .
I have seen #1C as the biggest issue since we got the team back. That is the reason I got a little choked when TNSE passed on Couturier and Grigs in back to back years. Hopefully Scheifele can be that guy otherwise they need to find that guy soon.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:16 PM
puck stoppa

If we picked 5-6, and wanted to move to 1-2, what would that take? Swap picks, trade both 2nd rounders and a prospect like Telegin or Postma? That may be too much in a deep draft but it would be unreal for this organization to get Jones or Nate, that could change everything.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:21 PM
jetkarma

Not sure TSNE had either of those 2 rated as that type of C to be honest. If that was the case then kudos for not making the move to draft either. I like Schiefele and Trouba in those spots to be honest , but if they think Barkov , Lindholm or Monahan for instance ,let alone MacKinnon are answers to the #1C question and they finish where they indeed may , the opportunity is there and maybe more so than it will be for a long long time ..... you make it happen imo.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
If we picked 5-6, and wanted to move to 1-2, what would that take? Swap picks, trade both 2nd rounders and a prospect like Telegin or Postma? That may be too much in a deep draft but it would be unreal for this organization to get Jones or Nate, that could change everything.
Much more than that imo. If you finish at 5/6 you may not need to move though .

Old
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Sweech, where do you put RR in that list? (RR, Pulock, Zadorov, Nurse)

Do you not like him, or just forget to add him in?
Tough call still haven't seen much of him. Lots of drafting reports are correct though from what I've seen. RR is very raw and very inconsistent. Every game you'll see good things and bad things from him and it can change from game to game.

So far with limited viewings of RR and taking extra from reports I'd put him after Pulock and Zadorov, but before Nurse.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not sure TSNE had either of those 2 rated as that type of C to be honest. If that was the case then kudos for not making the move to draft either. I like Schiefele and Trouba in those spots to be honest , but if they think Barkov , Lindholm or Monahan for instance ,let alone MacKinnon are answers to the #1C question and they finish where they indeed may , the opportunity is there and maybe more so than it will be for a long long time ..... you make it happen imo.
I don't think they did either based on how they picked. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. We won't know for years.

Scheifele - Trouba
Couturier - Trouba
Hamilton - Grigs
Scheifele - Grigs
Couturier - Grigs

There are a number of workable combos there without getting in combos with Forsberg. Winning teams get hot goaltending and are strong up the middle hopefully the Jets centres work out.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:21 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I don't think they did either based on how they picked. Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong. We won't know for years.

Scheifele - Trouba
Couturier - Trouba
Hamilton - Grigs
Scheifele - Grigs
Couturier - Grigs

There are a number of workable combos there without getting in combos with Forsberg. Winning teams get hot goaltending and are strong up the middle hopefully the Jets centres work out.
I guess winning teams don't need good D How about Hamilton and Trouba

Buff Enstrom
Bogosian Hamilton
Trouba Who cares

I like what we got but those two on D would be intriguing. We'd have to win 1-0 every game!

Old
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:

Scheifele - Trouba
Couturier - Trouba
Hamilton - Grigs
Scheifele - Grigs
Couturier - Grigs

Teravainen too.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Teravainen too.
He hasn't really done a whole lot to elevate his status since his draft to be honest.

Definitely won't be able to really know until he plays NHL anyway. Due to size + playing overseas.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
He hasn't really done a whole lot to elevate his status since his draft to be honest.

Definitely won't be able to really know until he plays NHL anyway. Due to size + playing overseas.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but 5 years from now. A lot of analysts had him in top 5-6. Faksa was another guy in heavy consideration for top 10 that Jets fans wanted.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, but 5 years from now. A lot of analysts had him in top 5-6. Faksa was another guy in heavy consideration for top 10 that Jets fans wanted.
Yeah, I liked Faksa last year. Not as much as others, but he's had a fairly unlucky season so far.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:04 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post

Just playing devil's advocate here, how many here would be fuming if the JETS were picking second and chose Drouin or even Barkov over MacKinnon?

Perhaps you can make arguments for both being worthy of being the #2 pick, but because MacKinnon is has been the more heralded of the three, I'd suspect there to be a ton of criticism and maybe even ridicule on HF boards over that.

There are those who watch Halifax often that suggest Drouin is in fact the better of the two and they believe it's not out of the question that come draft day that he will be selected before MacKinnon.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see Drouin in a JETS jersey!!!!!! but wouldn't be upset if it was MacKinnon or Barkov either.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

If the Jets pick 3rd and get Jonathan Drouin that could be a franchise changing draft. Top 5 are going to be solid picks. Hope Winnipeg gets one of those if they miss the playoffs.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafster7 View Post
If the Jets pick 3rd and get Jonathan Drouin that could be a franchise changing draft. Top 5 are going to be solid picks. Hope Winnipeg gets one of those if they miss the playoffs.
There's way more past the top 5.

Monahan and Lindholm are also fantastic options.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
meedle

If we draft 3rd. Would Kane + 2nd round be enough for the #2?

That way we could get Drouin and Mckinnen. Close enough to having 2 Sedins.

I think that would be a game changer for this franchise.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Gil Fisher

Trading your franchise player is always a game changer.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Maybe not Kane, but I'd be supportive of some trade combo that gets us two top-5 picks.

As previously posted, but watch us get shafted in the lottery draw.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
If we draft 3rd. Would Kane + 2nd round be enough for the #2?

That way we could get Drouin and Mckinnen. Close enough to having 2 Sedins.

I think that would be a game changer for this franchise.

Closed Thread