Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
But how would people feel if the JETS were picking 2nd (Jones goes 1st) and MacKinnon was passed up on? Would you trust our scout's judgment or be outraged????

Old
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Whileee

As much as it pains me to say it, I think that the best development for the long-term success of the Jets franchise would be to have a stinker of a season this year (they are moving in that direction), and end up with a top 5, or preferably top 3 pick. I think that they seriously need another dynamic forward to put the franchise into the territory for serious contention in the next 3-5 years. Perhaps they can get there with astute trades and signings without a top pick, but a top-3 pick from this draft, added to their core and prospects would be a very enticing proposition.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
But how would people feel if the JETS were picking 2nd (Jones goes 1st) and MacKinnon was passed up on? Would you trust our scout's judgment or be outraged????
MacKinnon seems the safest pick at #2, but Drouin is pretty intriguing as a prospect. They both definitely have star qualities.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
As much as it pains me to say it, I think that the best development for the long-term success of the Jets franchise would be to have a stinker of a season this year (they are moving in that direction), and end up with a top 5, or preferably top 3 pick. I think that they seriously need another dynamic forward to put the franchise into the territory for serious contention in the next 3-5 years. Perhaps they can get there with astute trades and signings without a top pick, but a top-3 pick from this draft, added to their core and prospects would be a very enticing proposition.
Cannot disagree, but this team absolutely NEEDS a solid goaltender that can win games on his own and be consistent. No amount of high draft selections will help if the goaltending is porous.

Hopefully Chevy is mindful of this and finds a way to address it whether it be through trade, free agency or building depth at the position via the draft.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Gil Fisher

I don't get the sense that MacKinnon is a consensus #2 pick. Still seem to be a lot of developing love for Nichuskin and Barkov, not to mention Drouin.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Are we suggesting that MacKinnon could go for a wee bit of a free fall a la Couturier and Grigorenko?

Old
02-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Are we suggesting that MacKinnon could go for a wee bit of a free fall a la Couturier and Grigorenko?
If the Jets end up with a pick in the 5-6 range, one can only hope that MacKinnon drops a few picks.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:51 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
If the Jets end up with a pick in the 5-6 range, one can only hope that MacKinnon drops a few picks.
As of this morning we are sitting at 28th and would have 3rd pick (not including lottery result).

Old
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Gil Fisher

Rough times when we're calling out someone for projecting us to finish 25th instead of 28th.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Now that you mention this you never know with Chevy. He does love size and this Barkov kid is 6'2 205lbs compared to MacKinnon and Drouin who are 5'11 180lbs

FWIW TSN ISS Top 30 for 2013 February has Nichushkin #2 now and MacKinnon #3

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I say screw size. Claude Giroux is 5'11 172lbs.

MacKinnon or Drouin, please.

02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think you make a very valid point. If we're going to continue down this road this season, i am at the point where i am prepared for it. If that's the case, i am also prepared to hopefully get a very high pick in the draft.

I, like you, believe it would be a blessing in disguise for this organization. A Mackinnon or Drouin, for example, would set TNSE's mark on the team hopefully in a way other young highly touted top picks have done for their teams in recent time.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
puck stoppa

Youre right, I hate losing more than anyone, I don't even let my wife beat me at scrabble! But the one positive, is that if you have a bad year this could be the best year to do it; cause of the short season, and cause of the deep draft. I really want to win but would be drooling if we got an elite talent. As long as they give 100% and have entertaining home games, I will survive.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
I generally agree with the flow of this thread that in the best long term interests of the Jets getting a top 5 dynamic player might help us round the corner. But is it then possibly to turn a couple vet guys that won't be around when we contend (Jokinen, Antro, Wellwood and maybe Hainsey) into another 1st round pick? I can't imagine it being another low pick, but maybe a mid level 1st round from a team trying to make a playoff push at the deadline.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:27 AM
puck stoppa

Then we'd have three picks in the top 35 lets say, and 4 in the first two rounds, we could finally load up the cupboards!

Old
02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I think I read that Chevy likes to draft players who are rising in the prospect rankings; Couturier was falling (wasn't he rated 1st at some point?) and Scheifele was rising. This might mean we pass on MacKinnon as he's dropping in the ratings.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Huffer

Some people on this board will complain no matter who the Jets draft. Any of Jones, Mac, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, or Monahan would be great. (If we're drafting that low).

Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
puck stoppa

Drouin's strength in his lower body reminds me of Crosby, I love his low centre of gravity, this guy has strong legs.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I think I read that Chevy likes to draft players who are rising in the prospect rankings; Couturier was falling (wasn't he rated 1st at some point?) and Scheifele was rising. This might mean we pass on MacKinnon as he's dropping in the ratings.
Scheifele and Sutter were risers, but Brassard, Yuen, Lowry, Kosmachuk, and Olsen were all fallers (some by a few picks some by a lot like Olsen who was ahead of Sutter and Kosmachuk in Dec or Feb if I remember right). Trouba and Serville were about were expected (Serville slight reach but not much).

Note: I'm going slightly by memory. I've been tracking all our prospects at home: where they were picked, where they were ranked at different points by multiple draft rankings (TSN, the hockey news, the scouting report, hockey prospectus, future considerations, ISS, Button(more for comical effect)). I also track the g,a,pt/gp of each year of our prospects and have guys on our team/farm where they compare to.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Gil Fisher

I think there'd definitely be some interest in Jokinen on the market that may even garner a first rounder in the 20's. The problem is the commitment Jokinen made to the Jets in the offseason. He bought a house here, his kids are in school here, they opted to stay here during the lockout rather than moving to Florida, etc. If you flip him at the deadline, what does that say to the next veteran they're trying to sign to a FA contract in the summer?

If a team asks about Jokinen, I'd let the agent know, but not talk turkey with the other team unless Jokinen is on board.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I think there'd definitely be some interest in Jokinen on the market that may even garner a first rounder in the 20's. The problem is the commitment Jokinen made to the Jets in the offseason. He bought a house here, his kids are in school here, they opted to stay here during the lockout rather than moving to Florida, etc. If you flip him at the deadline, what does that say to the next veteran they're trying to sign to a FA contract in the summer?

If a team asks about Jokinen, I'd let the agent know, but not talk turkey with the other team unless Jokinen is on board.
If I remember correctly, Jokinen has a modified no move clause. Either way, trading a player you just signed doesn't show much reliability in an organization (without the player agreeing of course).

Old
02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

TSN:
NHL DRAFT LOTTERY ODDS WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOR COMING YEAR

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Guess i had that wrong.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Some people on this board will complain no matter who the Jets draft. Any of Jones, Mac, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, or Monahan would be great. (If we're drafting that low).
Nichuskin over Monahan?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Nichuskin over Monahan?
Full meltdown.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
TSN:
NHL DRAFT LOTTERY ODDS WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOR COMING YEAR

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Guess i had that wrong.
Wow, I really thought that even with the proposed changes that the only thing that was going to change was the 4 spot movement. So it looks like they really do want to eventually change the actual "odds" for each of the 14 non playoff teams as well.

Not that you do it on purpose, but it really does look like of all years, this would be the one to finish low. Might be the last year with the odds being more in the lower teams favour.

Closed Thread