Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
No where did Jet say we were gonna make Waddell-like boneheaded moves. Adding depth could be as simple as moving a 3rd or 4th rounder for a 3rd/4th liner to upgrade someone. We have plenty of picks this year. Scheif is likely to be in the NHL next year with Trouba who looks close. Combine that with guys like Postma, Redmond, and Cormier who are the cusp of being full time NHLers and some of the recent draft picks that are looking good like Lowery amoungst others, and you things are not nearly are bad as people make them out to be. Do people even realize how big of a deal it could be if this team make the playoffs? How many years in a row has this team missed the playoffs?
Third or fourth rounder fine, but we still don't have the organizational depth to be moving 2nds. I agree that the playoffs would be great but I'd rather the team learn to get there on its own accord then to be boosted in by rentals.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I want the playoffs as much as the next guy, but I don't think it's as black and white as most make it out to be.

By the sounds of it, if Hainsey is moved, we may as well just pack it in. These guys are professionals. They will play on.

If Hainsey is traded it will not be the end of the world. I'd like to think the JETS would still be in a good position to make the playoffs and still maybe even win the division.

Why does it have to be either or? Trade Hainsey and you're done or keep him and you're in. Heck you'll probably even win 2 or 3 games, but not if Hainsey is gone.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I want the playoffs as much as the next guy, but I don't think it's as black and white as most make it out to be.

By the sounds of it, if Hainsey is moved, we may as well just pack it in. These guys are professionals. They will play on.

If Hainsey is traded it will not be the end of the world. I'd like to think the JETS would still be in a good position to make the playoffs and still maybe even win the division.

Why does it have to be either or? Trade Hainsey and you're done or keep him and you're in. Heck you'll probably even win 2 or 3 games, but not if Hainsey is gone.
The fact that we are where we are while missing one of Bogo, Buff or Toby, sometimes two of them, all season means that with three of them and Hainsey being the one missing, how would we be any less likely to make the playoffs than we are now? Hainsey is good. He's better than whoever would replace him. Does that mean we don't put faith in the players we have to hang on to a playoff spot they may have a the deadline, for what amounts to ten more games (right?), and would rather let him walk, than trade him if it's clear he doesn't want to be here?

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Make Hainsey an offer beforehand. If it looks like he doesn't want to stay. Flip him. We'll be better with him but fine without him, and if he doesn't want to stay, it doesn't ruin the culture of the team, it just says "we're not going to go out of our way to squeeze 10 - 20 games out of guys who don't want to be here, and then have them walk for nothing"

Old
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Bob E

There's always a slider in the draft, for many reasons. Some of those reasons are legit (attitude, work effort), some turn out to not to be (too small). Just curious who guys think might fall out of the top 10 or 15.

Last year it was grigs and Forsberg. In 2011, couturier and hamilton slid from early predictions.

If the Jets make the playoffs, but end up picking in the 17-19 range, is there a current 'top 10 consensus pick' that might fall?

What about Hunter Shinkaruk? Could he fall to #17? He's small(ish), skilled, and not having a fantastic year with Medicine Hat. He might be a player the Jets target with his scoring ability.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
There's always a slider in the draft, for many reasons. Some of those reasons are legit (attitude, work effort), some turn out to not to be (too small). Just curious who guys think might fall out of the top 10 or 15.

Last year it was grigs and Forsberg. In 2011, couturier and hamilton slid from early predictions.

If the Jets make the playoffs, but end up picking in the 17-19 range, is there a current 'top 10 consensus pick' that might fall?

What about Hunter Shinkaruk? Could he fall to #17? He's small(ish), skilled, and not having a fantastic year with Medicine Hat. He might be a player the Jets target with his scoring ability.
That'd be my pick. I can see Max Domi falling as well based on his tiny size as well.

The interesting thing is that although sliders are popular with the fans, they are a mixed bag (Couturier, Kopitar, Esposito, Tukonen, Schroeder) as much as reaches which are unpopular with fans (Hickey, Wheeler, Setoguchi, Pouliot). This is why I don't put too much stock into fallers or risers...

Old
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
lanky

Nichuskin seems like an easy answer for who will fall out of the top ten. I think there are six that will definitely go top ten,
MacKinon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
After them there are very few that are guaranteed to be picked before 20 or so.
For the Jets, I like Erne, Nurse, Lazar and maybe Gauthier. They're all hardworking, with grit and size.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Nichuskin seems like an easy answer for who will fall out of the top ten. I think there are six that will definitely go top ten,
MacKinon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
For the Jets, I like Erne, Nurse, Lazar and maybe Gauthier. They're all hardworking, with grit and size.
Complete pass on Lazar. Not a fan of that guy at all. Probably the one guy in the first round I want the Jets to avoid at all costs (in the right situation I'd be ok with Domi and Shinkaruk even). He doesn't have size, doesn't have speed, doesn't have unreal talent. He is a bust waiting to happen, IMO.

Assuming that we talk to Nichushkin and have a reasonable chance of bringing him over in the next 4 years, I'd be ecstatic if we could land him outside the top 4. That guy is fantastic, loves to grind, plays all 3 forward positions, has great hands, great hockey sense, good skater, attacks hard the forecheck, he will be a great player in the NHL, IMO.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
The fact that we are where we are while missing one of Bogo, Buff or Toby, sometimes two of them, all season means that with three of them and Hainsey being the one missing, how would we be any less likely to make the playoffs than we are now? Hainsey is good. He's better than whoever would replace him. Does that mean we don't put faith in the players we have to hang on to a playoff spot they may have a the deadline, for what amounts to ten more games (right?), and would rather let him walk, than trade him if it's clear he doesn't want to be here?

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Make Hainsey an offer beforehand. If it looks like he doesn't want to stay. Flip him. We'll be better with him but fine without him, and if he doesn't want to stay, it doesn't ruin the culture of the team, it just says "we're not going to go out of our way to squeeze 10 - 20 games out of guys who don't want to be here, and then have them walk for nothing"
I haven't been following the discussion closely, bit despite being a trade Hainsey advocate I think the argument for keeping him is that he'd give us a better chance to win IN the playoffs, not so much help us get there.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Flair Hay

Nichushkin is probably the best candidate to fall I agree. Everyone in theory wants a huge, highly skilled potential first liner. But when it comes down to draft day, teams shy away from Russian players more and more.

If he had a Forsberg like fall to the 10-14 range I would probably even trade away 2nd rounder to move up the 5-10 spots to get him.

Other than that, the talent pool is pretty deep so outside of that scenario I'd just trust my scouts. They seem to be doing well so far.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:31 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
MacKinon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
At this rate, the way the Flyers are playing, Nurse will be right in their wheel house. With their need for a defenseman and his ties to onetime Eagles icon McNabb, it seems like a match. The fact that Nurse plays a nasty physical game makes him a perfect fit for that team.

I'm sure Holmgren will do what he can to ensure he has an opportunity to draft this kid. Well, that is if the Flyers do in fact miss the playoffs.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I'm kinda hoping we have a bit of a later pick this year for two reasons;
1) We made the playoffs
2) I'm interested in seeing the direction Chevu goes as the later you pick, the less there is a consensus on who's ranked where.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Provided we keep stay around the position we are in I like Erne, Gauthier, and I really like Domi I think he could turn out to be a really great player. I would bet Nurse is gone and I'm not currently a huge fan of Shinkaruk but perhaps I don't know enough about him yet.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
StronGeer
PavOut #BuyOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I'm kinda hoping we have a bit of a later pick this year for two reasons;
1) We made the playoffs
2) I'm interested in seeing the direction Chevu goes as the later you pick, the less there is a consensus on who's ranked where.
Shouldn't make much of a difference. See: Mark Scheifele

I don't think Chevy gives a darn of what the general consensus is. He only cares about what his scouts tell him.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Complete pass on Lazar. Not a fan of that guy at all. Probably the one guy in the first round I want the Jets to avoid at all costs (in the right situation I'd be ok with Domi and Shinkaruk even). He doesn't have size, doesn't have speed, doesn't have unreal talent. He is a bust waiting to happen, IMO.
He has a body type like Dustin Brown, does have speed, has an unreal wrist shot.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Shouldn't make much of a difference. See: Mark Scheifele

I don't think Chevy gives a darn of what the general consensus is. He only cares about what his scouts tell him.
I mean his consensus and the general consensus. I'm really intrigued to see who they would go with.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I want whoever will be the next Ryan Callahan. I love Callahan. Mike Richards too, either or please.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I want whoever will be the next Ryan Callahan. I love Callahan. Mike Richards too, either or please.
Said the same thing to my roommate during the game tonight.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
He has a body type like Dustin Brown, does have speed, has an unreal wrist shot.
Don't see it at all. But maybe I'm wrong...if he is I really hope the Jets take him, but that's not what I see...

Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
This sounds like Ryan Hartman to me. I'd be pleased with that!

Not that there aren't others like Erne, Gauthier, Zykov, Mantha, Mueller and Compher that are good value options in that range as well.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
He's similar in stature to Kadri, but I'm not sure how his skills compare though. Don't think he has Kadri's offensive upside, but Domi's first two seasons in junior he did put up better numbers than Kadri did in his first two seasons.

Can anyone elaborate?

Old
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
He's similar in stature to Kadri, but I'm not sure how his skills compare though. Don't think he has Kadri's offensive upside, but Domi's first two seasons in junior he did put up better numbers than Kadri did in his first two seasons.

Can anyone elaborate?
I believe he was referring to Lazar, not Domi...Domi does not have the size or skating to be a Dustin Brown type (Brown is an incredibly good skater, only lacking in balance a little bit)...

Old
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
This sounds like Ryan Hartman to me. I'd be pleased with that!

Not that there aren't others like Erne, Gauthier, Zykov, Mantha, Mueller and Compher that are good value options in that range as well.
Those three are some of my favourites from this draft.

Zykov should start going up the charts. Eye-hand coordination and leg strength are great on him. Really is a puck possession monster.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:15 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Don't see it at all. But maybe I'm wrong...if he is I really hope the Jets take him, but that's not what I see...

I have seen him play , and I thought he had good/very good speed .Just saw one live game last year , but caught their playoff run last year and don't think skating is an issue at all.

I don't know how high he will or should go , to me he looks to maybe be a 2/3 C if he pans out , so I would not have him rated till the end of round one from a very limited viewing.

Last edited by jetkarma: 03-14-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
jetkarma

For Domi , he is short , he isn't small. He is very thick through his hips and thighs , which provides great on ice balance. Not to say he is as good as , but his build and game remind me of Marcel Dionne.

Ideally you would want your 1C to have size , your 2C then could be Domi's size , especially if he can produce points , and I think he will.
Never seen him in person but skating again to me doesn't look to be an issue.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
JetsHomer

Drouin 5 assists, Mackinnon 4 points after second period today. Halifax winning 10-1. out shootin St. Johns 50-8 after 2 periods. Halifax is so good.

Closed Thread