Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
All this is, is taking 4 scouts' pre-draft ranking, averaging and inserting into current draft order. Taken from www.mynhldraft.com

I like the visual.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
We could be drafting around that area though. As I mentioned earlier a lot may change by Saturday evening.
I would take him there for sure if we ended up in the top ten. Just don't think he falls to 17.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I would take him there for sure if we ended up in the top ten. Just don't think he falls to 17.
Barkov outside the top 4 and I will be floored. I'm working on my draft rankings right now (won't be out until after U-18's tho like last year), and right now I still see him as #2, maybe even #1 in this draft. Love his game.

Last year I was not super shocked when Forsberg fell, but yeah I could not believe if Barkov fell past #4...

Old
04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
jetkarma

I think we are tied with several teams at 8 , games played, points.

Pretty fluid but picking top 8 is not out of the question . If we go 4 and 6 , realistically we are top ten I believe , probably higher.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
I think we are tied with several teams at 8 , games played, points.

Pretty fluid but picking top 8 is not out of the question . If we go 4 and 6 , realistically we are top ten I believe , probably higher.
If we miss the playoffs, we're going to win the lottery and pick 1st. You heard it here first.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
If we miss the playoffs, we're going to win the lottery and pick 1st. You heard it here first.
I'd like to make the playoffs, but if we miss and somehow pick 1st, that would be pretty awesome.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Whileee

Unless the Jets really pick up their play in the final stretch, they are on track to get a pick around #9-12. For the Jets, I really like the idea of a top 9 pick. There is a handful of very good forward prospects that might be available there - Lindholm, Monahan and Nichushkin. If those forwards are all gone, one of Zadorov or Nurse would be available, and they look to be very good D prospects.

If the Jets pick #10 or #11, they would have to hope that someone above them goes off the board a bit (e.g. for Ristolainen) and let one of the others slide down a bit.

If the Jets do end up picking in the #10-14 range, they might be able to move up a few spots to snag a desirable forward, if they can find a team picking ahead of them that really wants one of the top D-men and think they can snag that player a bit lower (e.g. Zadorov, Nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock).

The bottom line is that the possibility of getting a top-shelf player seems much higher if the Jets pick in the #9-12 range, than if they pick in the #20+ range. For me, that would be some consolation if the Jets do miss the playoffs

Old
04-03-2013, 10:23 PM
jetkarma

Like I said , this time Saturday we could be looking up t a lot of teams.

Rangers won tonight , so did Philadelphia , if we lose to Montreal and then the Flyers on Saturday afternoon, we will be -2 ( games played/points ) and maybe 6 teams will be worse than that.

Very very fluid , we could get the third seed by winning the division or pick seventh.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
meedle

going 2-8 wouldn't be the end of the world. Cmon top 5 pick. Personally this is the best choice long term to get a dynamic forward in the draft. Something we aren't just going to find in the off season without giving up alot.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:

Very very fluid , we could get the third seed by winning the division or pick seventh.
Excellent!

Old
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
going 2-8 wouldn't be the end of the world. Cmon top 5 pick. Personally this is the best choice long term to get a dynamic forward in the draft. Something we aren't just going to find in the off season without giving up alot.
Well if we only win 2 more games a very high pick is a lock , but if we go 4 and 6 we could still get a pick in the top 8 or so , depending on how the other teams finish of course. There are only 3 or 4 teams we would not realistically finish ahead of if that occurred.Now 3 or 4 others could finish below us as well , but if we lose tomorrow and Saturday , pick 7 or 8 looks more likely than the playoffs.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Like I said , this time Saturday we could be looking up t a lot of teams.

Rangers won tonight , so did Philadelphia , if we lose to Montreal and then the Flyers on Saturday afternoon, we will be -2 ( games played/points ) and maybe 6 teams will be worse than that.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see where we sit once some other teams catch us in games played.

Obviously want to make the playoffs, but if that doesn't happen, I think for the Jets getting at least the 7th pick would be great. That pretty much assures the team of drafting one of the top forwards (Monohan, Nichushkin, Lindholm).

Old
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
umwoz

I think we'll see teams shy away from Mackinnon in favor of Barkov in this draft.

There's been a recent trend in the last bunch of years for guys that are C's in junior becoming wingers when they turn pro, ex. Skinner and Seguin. With a top line C being such a desirable asset I think Barkov is the far safer bet to be a career center, thus I think all else being equal(they are certainly close) Barkov is the favorable pick.

I want this team to make playoffs, but if they manage to screw that up I would be absolutely ecstatic at the opportunity to draft Barkov.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
I think we'll see teams shy away from Mackinnon in favor of Barkov in this draft.

There's been a recent trend in the last bunch of years for guys that are C's in junior becoming wingers when they turn pro, ex. Skinner and Seguin. With a top line C being such a desirable asset I think Barkov is the far safer bet to be a career center, thus I think all else being equal(they are certainly close) Barkov is the favorable pick.

I want this team to make playoffs, but if they manage to screw that up I would be absolutely ecstatic at the opportunity to draft Barkov.
I think it's Barkov's safeness and play in Europe that will keep him below MacKinnon. I think teams will roll the dice on Mac's offensive prowess over Barkov.

The Europe thing is purely team to team based as some teams simply don't have as good European scouting staffs as others. This makes them gravitate towards the possibly equally talented local pick who they've been able to see and judge more frequently.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Curtis Lazar?

Shoop da Whoop!

Old
04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:

The only way I see this happening is if the Jets end up with a pick in the top 7, and then trade up with a team that loves another player in that range (Nichushkin, Lindholm or Monahan) and is willing to trade down a few slots for something tempting. Even that seems a real long-shot. The other way would be to win the lottery.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
Quote:

Not sure if I want another Alex Something-ov. But the Young-Dangly-Russian Fan Club here would probably explode if it happened. 'SUPER SKILELD AND UNLIMTIED POTENTIAL YO. BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM'.

Sorry not poking fun at you, just having fun...I actually know nothing about the guy.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1316
Anthony Mantha? Big winger, just missed last years draft because of birthday, putting up some alright numbers this year...might be physically ready sooner...

Thoughts? Don't know too much about this kid.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Anthony Mantha? Big winger, just missed last years draft because of birthday, putting up some alright numbers this year...might be physically ready sooner...

Thoughts? Don't know too much about this kid.
Moe's kid?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:45 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Moe's kid?
No relation.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
No relation.
pass

Old
04-04-2013, 12:49 AM
GoldenJet89

just for fun: lets say we missed the playoffs, won the lottery... who do you take?

jones? - it seems with trouba we have a very solid top 4 going forward. but the kid is a phenomenal talent, if you have spectacular defence/goaltending it makes the need for elite level scorers much less.. could you imagine buff with enstrom, bogo and trouba, jones and postma/redmond/stuart/hainsey/whoever.... wow

mackinnon? - no denying any team would love to have a franchise center. still some questions on how his game will play out in the pros. but if hes as good as the hype he could be an elite player for a long time, and centerman have a little more value than wingers in these types of situations. having little, scheifele, burmi/antro, and slater down the middle looks pretty good...

drouin? - one of the most exciting wing prospects to come along in awhile imo. incredible amounts of skill. looks like one of those guys that will be a perennial 35+ goal scorer maybe even higher if he hits his potential. jets could really using a scoring threat on this team and this kid sure has it

or other: barkov, nichushkin, zadorov, monahan etc etc?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Gil Fisher

I'd hope someone in the top 4 wanted Jones, and trade back.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
So let's draft Tyson Baillie in 2014! He seems like the perfect fit for Kane:

Quote:
Baillie has thrived this season in a secondary scoring role for the Rockets. The Rockets are one the more improved clubs in the WHL and some of that is due to Baillie’s ability to score big goals when they need them. Shifty playmaking winger that has shown an equal ability to put the puck in the net. A nice combination of speed off the wing and a quick release has helped him gain offensive numbers.
He scored a hatty tonight in game 7 to lift his Rockets into the next round.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Not sure if I want another Alex Something-ov. But the Young-Dangly-Russian Fan Club here would probably explode if it happened. 'SUPER SKILELD AND UNLIMTIED POTENTIAL YO. BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM'.

Sorry not poking fun at you, just having fun...I actually know nothing about the guy.
He's not Russian, he's Finnish. And he's actually the opposite of a "dangly" player. He's 6'2" or 6'3", probably over 200lbs and plays pretty North / South. His defense is already pro caliber, and he set a record in the Finnish elite league for scoring for a draft eligible player (48 pts in 53 games).

Sundin or Kopitar are the comparisons I see people make most often.

Closed Thread