Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Hoping we pick up enough QMJHL scouting to get a good look at Adam Erne.

Haven't gone out to see him myself, but from all reports he sounds exemplary and is displaying the exact traits the Jets are looking for.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I have to agree, there's no such thing as "too many picks" unless you see them all to maturation. Good picks are a very tradeable asset.
I would rather see more 1st round picks than 2nd/3rd round picks.

Where i agree with Holden is too many 3/4 line or 5 dmen do not help with a team build. If you can move 2nd and 3rds for another 1st, there is a better chance that pick actually becomes an impact NHL'er that can replace an older, less-productive player.

My question, right now, the core likely is Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Pavs, Buff, Toby. Guys reaching or in their prime. Kane, Burmi and Bogo are a few years away from their prime. So too would Scheifele and Trouba (assuming they will be NHL regulars in 2 or 3 years).

Jokinen, Wellwood, Hainsey, Antro, Poni, Mittens, etc. are vetern players who most likely will be 'replaced' or 'upgraded' in 2 or 3 years anyway - maybe sooner.

My vote would be to have more than one 1st round pick this year to add to our cupboard with 'better chance' prospects, that one day replace the Littles and Ladds and Wheelers. That is where this team turns from a 'okay' team to a 'perennial playoff calibre' team.

Continuing to have a 7-13 slot draft pick is a terrible cycle to work out of. Just ask the Calgary Flames.

I'd like to see a top 5 and 20-25 draft pick this year to add higher quality prospects that could make a difference in a few years.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with your reasoning Holden. But with a couple of caveats:

1) Getting a pick for a guy who is 100% not going to resign, and when you are not going to make the playoffs seems like a good move to me. This would be the "get something for nothing clause". Of course you need to A) speak to the player and know for sure that he's not coming back, and B) be far enough out of the playoff race that trading the player for a pick doesn't cause a bubble team to fall out of the race and have the team thinking you are not trying to win.

2) Not all players drafted need to be held on to until they get to the AHL / NHL. I would guess that we could always deal a pick from the 2013 draft in 2-3 years or so if we have the good fortune of too many guys all being AHL quality.

From the 2009 draft Kassian, Rundblad, Ashton, Morin, Dumoulin, and Eakin are all examples of guys that were either traded before either playing in the NHL at all, or before making much of an NHL impact.
1) Agreed. Again, my main point is though, IF this core is out of it this year/next year by deadline, we have MUCH more serious problems, IMO. Trading veterans for mediocre picks will not cut it, it is time to start anew. Right now we have the capital (fan support) to pull it off...in a couple more years of terrible mediocritry we might not. If we cannot be competitive for playoffs with this core this year or next, this core will NEVER be a SC contender, IMO.

2) Kassian, Ashton, Morin, Dumoulin, Eakin were ALL dealt for immediate help. You just don't see 19-20 year olds being traded for more futures, you will not get full value for those guys. Not too mention all of those guys were guys who VASTLY outperformed their draft position, I am talking about guys who are right on track, or the jury is still not in on...that is what is most likely you will end up with when you are talking 20-21 year old 2nd/3rd round picks.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:24 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
1) Agreed. Again, my main point is though, IF this core is out of it this year/next year by deadline, we have MUCH more serious problems, IMO. Trading veterans for mediocre picks will not cut it, it is time to start anew. Right now we have the capital (fan support) to pull it off...in a couple more years of terrible mediocritry we might not. If we cannot be competitive for playoffs with this core this year or next, this core will NEVER be a SC contender, IMO.
The problem with that is this core actually hasn't been together for very long. And the supporting cast has always been weak, bad ownership, not very good management/coaching. Two years in Winnipeg and blow it up is premature IMO.

I don't see them being very far away from a playoff team. We have a good young core compared to most teams. It's just a matter of tweaking everything a bit. I view picks as cash, the most liquid asset in hockey. You can't always trade players, but you can always trade picks. It's never bad to have lots of picks, we're not in a position where our farm system will be flooded. There will be turnover and trades.

Cheveldayoff seems pretty shrewd with contracts and cap management, going back to his Chicago days. I just don't see him creating a logjam of contracts, problems at the top of the cap, too many prospects, forced to trade assets below their value etc. He seems quite the opposite. The Jets are moving into a very good position here. The cap is going to come down, and we have lots of room in both our cap and contracts.

Holden what did you think about Chevy trading Oduya last year?

Last edited by allan5oh: 11-16-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Bob E

I'm of the opinion that the only players currently on the team that is in a core - the core of a legit SC calibre playoff team - would be Bogo, Kane, Ladd and Enstrom. And, hopefully, Scheifele and Trouba.

Maybe Wheeler, Little, Slater and Pavs, too (though that may be a bit of a stretch for all of them to still be around). Continuing Holden's thought, I don't think our current core (as it's comprised of today) is a legit SC playoff team, meaning... additional core pieces are needed, and if the Wheelers, Littles, etc. do stay, their role is not a 1st line role but a 2nd or even a 3rd line role.

Imo, the chances Buff and Burmi are still here in 2-3 yrs, is 50/50 at best.

Therefore, this years draft is very important, imo. I see it as a way to add a quality piece (or two) to the puzzle. But adding six guys or more (with lots of picks) to the AHL/ECHL mix, who never really have the ability to make the NHL, isn't really all that helpful, imo. So i'm on board with less picks, but higher picks. I'm also in support of using picks or prospects to gain NHL talent that fills a role that we need.

I still believe we need a couple more players with top level talent. We can try to get that via the draft or trade. I see Buff and Burmi being the pieces involved in trade(s) to add the right pieces (players, not picks) needed.

I'm hoping IF this season is cancelled, the Jets receive a top 10 pick - ideally top 5. That pick, in a deep draft, becomes another key core player (though thats still not a guarantee) in the next couple of years.

The Jokinens, Mittens, Wellwoods, Hainseys, Ponis, Thorburns - can all be replaced with other FAs or via trades or waiver claims or current prospects. IMO, upgrades are needed with all of them and i'm not shedding a tear if any of them were to leave.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:44 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
So i'm on board with less picks, but higher picks. I'm also in support of using picks or prospects to gain NHL talent that fills a role that we need.
That's what a lot of us here are saying. Trade Antropov or Hainsey for picks that we can later trade for upgrades. If we want to move up in the draft just call up Calgary.

I think keeping all of our picks in 2013 plus trading Hainsey and/or Antropov for 2014 picks and keeping all of those would be a mistake. We will need NHL ready players at some point, and that's what the picks are for. You don't build a team trading for picks every trade deadline and sitting on those picks.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Hoping we pick up enough QMJHL scouting to get a good look at Adam Erne.

Haven't gone out to see him myself, but from all reports he sounds exemplary and is displaying the exact traits the Jets are looking for.
Another player to keep an eye on from Quebec is RW Nick Sorensen. He's going to be traded soon enough, since Quebec has 3 top Euro's on their roster (Grigorenko, Sorensen, Kucherov). Very good skater, with a quality shot. Like all prospects he still needs to work on parts of his game (defence, experience, etc). He missed most of last year with a bad ACL/MCL injury, but has shown little ill effects from a year of recovery.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Bob E

Watching the highlights from the Moosehead's game, Drouin has some outstanding skill. Love the 4 assists he had. Playing with MacKinnon helps the old points total, but this kid has serious skill.

Seems to be flying up the rankings too. 33 pts in 15 games. Nice.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Bob E

Quote:
That's what a lot of us here are saying. Trade Antropov or Hainsey for picks that we can later trade for upgrades. If we want to move up in the draft just call up Calgary.

I think keeping all of our picks in 2013 plus trading Hainsey and/or Antropov for 2014 picks and keeping all of those would be a mistake. We will need NHL ready players at some point, and that's what the picks are for. You don't build a team trading for picks every trade deadline and sitting on those picks.

Ya, I'm fine with trading Antropov and Hainsey for more picks, if they are not in the plans for the future (or don't seem interested in re-signing if they are in the plans) and you can parlay those picks into more 1st rd pick(s), this year or next, or younger role players.

Quality is more important to me, now, than quantity.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:39 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
I would rather see more 1st round picks than 2nd/3rd round picks.

Where i agree with Holden is too many 3/4 line or 5 dmen do not help with a team build. If you can move 2nd and 3rds for another 1st, there is a better chance that pick actually becomes an impact NHL'er that can replace an older, less-productive player.

My question, right now, the core likely is Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Pavs, Buff, Toby. Guys reaching or in their prime. Kane, Burmi and Bogo are a few years away from their prime. So too would Scheifele and Trouba (assuming they will be NHL regulars in 2 or 3 years).

Jokinen, Wellwood, Hainsey, Antro, Poni, Mittens, etc. are vetern players who most likely will be 'replaced' or 'upgraded' in 2 or 3 years anyway - maybe sooner.

My vote would be to have more than one 1st round pick this year to add to our cupboard with 'better chance' prospects, that one day replace the Littles and Ladds and Wheelers. That is where this team turns from a 'okay' team to a 'perennial playoff calibre' team.

Continuing to have a 7-13 slot draft pick is a terrible cycle to work out of. Just ask the Calgary Flames.

I'd like to see a top 5 and 20-25 draft pick this year to add higher quality prospects that could make a difference in a few years.
With respect , that is a bit simplistic .

Everyone would rather see/have more first round picks than second or thirds. Which also means getting the additional first round pick isn't as easy as waving one of the twos and one of the threes.

Saying that Kevin Cheveldayoff did say at last years draft it would be great to be in a position some time to move up for an additional pick in the first as another team had done. I also like how he responds to being asked if he is a buyer or a seller at trade deadlines. His reply? I am always buying , whether that is a veteran current player or assets for the future.He , we , are buyers , love that outlook and position.

He gets it , he knows how to build a winning team and is flexible enough to make the best decision with each asset. Now everyone is not going to be perfect of course.

The presumption is that those 5 second and third round picks are going to be bottom end players ( if that ), and while that of course is more likely it isn't an absolute. The more draft picks, chances you have , the more likely it is you find a significant player or two from that area.

If you have a really good scouting staff that chance increases , and as I have mentioned this year offers a unique opportunity for team that has strength in player evaluation to take advantage. The Jets will will have as good a read on prospects this year as they will in any year imo.

Just because Calgary has floundered doesn't mean the Jets will. Both Scheifele and Trouba appear to be key long term building blocks that can be core components to a SC contending team . Bartschi certainly looks to be a very good pick ,all picks in the range you mentioned. There are always good picks made after the first half dozen , of course certain years have deeper and better talent pools. This year appears to such a year.

For me moving up would be great , you have to have a trade partner though , and I have no doubt Winnipeg will explore this if they feel it is prudent. However I am confident if they hold their selections , we will build our prospect base and that we have a chance to have one or two of those later picks significantly outperform their draft slot.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
With respect , that is a bit simplistic .

Everyone would rather see/have more first round picks than second or thirds. Which also means getting the additional first round pick isn't as easy as waving one of the twos and one of the threes.

Saying that Kevin Cheveldayoff did say at last years draft it would be great to be in a position some time to move up for an additional pick in the first as another team had done. I also like how he responds to being asked if he is a buyer or a seller at trade deadlines. His reply? I am always buying , whether that is a veteran current player or assets for the future.He , we , are buyers , love that outlook and position.

He gets it , he knows how to build a winning team and is flexible enough to make the best decision with each asset. Now everyone is not going to be perfect of course.

The presumption is that those 5 second and third round picks are going to be bottom end players ( if that ), and while that of course is more likely it isn't an absolute. The more draft picks, chances you have , the more likely it is you find a significant player or two from that area.

If you have a really good scouting staff that chance increases , and as I have mentioned this year offers a unique opportunity for team that has strength in player evaluation to take advantage. The Jets will will have as good a read on prospects this year as they will in any year imo.

Just because Calgary has floundered doesn't mean the Jets will. Both Scheifele and Trouba appear to be key long term building blocks that can be core components to a SC contending team . Bartschi certainly looks to be a very good pick ,all picks in the range you mentioned. There are always good picks made after the first half dozen , of course certain years have deeper and better talent pools. This year appears to such a year.

For me moving up would be great , you have to have a trade partner though , and I have no doubt Winnipeg will explore this if they feel it is prudent. However I am confident if they hold their selections , we will build our prospect base and that we have a chance to have one or two of those later picks significantly outperform their draft slot.
Fair enough.

Though, i'm still of the belief that stockpiling picks - 2nd and 3rd round picks this year - doesn't truly help this team become a SC contender, in the near term. Those picks may have a chance of playing in the NHL, some may even develop into significant contributors at the NHL level, but they are years away, if they do arrive.

I hear you about the ease of acquiring another 1st rd pick, and needing a trading partner. I, too, believe Chevy will explore all options and make a deal to move up if there is one that he likes. If there isn't, he'll make the pick where it sits. I have full confidence in Chevy.

I guess i'm not completely convinced we have the right core, at the moment. Would love to see another high end/quality pick added as well as a solid piece or two via trade. More 2nd and 3rd round picks, from trading a vet, seems to delay that core build to me.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Fair enough.

Though, i'm still of the belief that stockpiling picks - 2nd and 3rd round picks this year - doesn't truly help this team become a SC contender, in the near term. Those picks may have a chance of playing in the NHL, some may even develop into significant contributors at the NHL level, but they are years away, if they do arrive.

I hear you about the ease of acquiring another 1st rd pick, and needing a trading partner. I, too, believe Chevy will explore all options and make a deal to move up if there is one that he likes. If there isn't, he'll make the pick where it sits. I have full confidence in Chevy.

I guess i'm not completely convinced we have the right core, at the moment. Would love to see another high end/quality pick added as well as a solid piece or two via trade. More 2nd and 3rd round picks, from trading a vet, seems to delay that core build to me.
To be blunt I highly doubt we have the right core as it stands right now. There is a reason this team has basically floundered , lack of talent and difference makers.

It will be a long / longer process and management knows that . That isn't to say we don't have pieces of what will be the core to make that desired run , we do have some pieces imo just not enough of them and personally I would like to see at least 2 premium talents added.

I guess to me , there isn't a shortcut . Patience is needed and hopefully key assets become key core players , not "ok" ones. We need young players like Kane , Bogosian to continue their upward trend, young veterans like Wheeler and Ladd to add to their game , players like Little and Enstrom to take a solid step up . Buff is Buff and he ever bought in he would be near elite , but he would have had 60 points if he had not missed a large portion of the year and that is significant. I don't know if we can expect or count on Burmistrov and Pavelec to be answers , right now I can not say I do , and if that is the case we are a couple significant players short on our list. They may be , but there are least as many questions to their game as answers imo.

So far the first 2 first rounders in the Jets2 era ''seem" to be nucleus level maybe not elite but certainly core level players. Not missing on these assets is paramount imo.

Hopefully getting there , but not there yet as I see it.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
To be blunt I highly doubt we have the right core as it stands right now. There is a reason this team has basically floundered , lack of talent and difference makers.

It will be a long / longer process and management knows that . That isn't to say we don't have pieces of what will be the core to make that desired run , we do have some pieces imo just not enough of them and personally I would like to see at least 2 premium talents added.

I guess to me , there isn't a shortcut . Patience is needed and hopefully key assets become key core players , not "ok" ones. We need young players like Kane , Bogosian to continue their upward trend, young veterans like Wheeler and Ladd to add to their game , players like Little and Enstrom to take a solid step up . Buff is Buff and he ever bought in he would be near elite , but he would have had 60 points if he had not missed a large portion of the year and that is significant. I don't know if we can expect or count on Burmistrov and Pavelec to be answers , right now I can not say I do , and if that is the case we are a couple significant players short on our list. They may be , but there are least as many questions to their game as answers imo.

So far the first 2 first rounders in the Jets2 era ''seem" to be nucleus level maybe not elite but certainly core level players. Not missing on these assets is paramount imo.

I agree with the bolded, but would also add that we're sorely lacking leadership. I think that's something that could be acquired with the use of our draft picks/young players via a trade. A guy like Morrow would be a nice addition to this current group IMO and he should be available as a UFA at the end of the season. This team needs direction and an identity IMO and that's something that's currently lacking on the roster ATM and in our coaching staff (not including Huddy).

Last edited by Paradise: 11-17-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I find overall there seems to be this HF mindset of potential>>proven... that what we could have in this guy is always better than what we already have in that guy.

Not meaning anything as an accusation towards any of the previous commentors or their comments but... meh...

I look at what we would most likely get with our 2nd/3rd rounders... potential but not-proven effective 3rd and 4th liners or depth guys (examples Kosmachuk, Lowry, Sutter, etc). Guys that we won't see for years, if we do even see them. Sure, you might get lucky and score a Telegin... but even he isn't a sure-fire top6 guy yet, and few years away and he was drafted in 2010.

I look at our core (or non-core) of being Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Bogosian, Burmistrov and Kane... with future suplimentation of Scheifele and Trouba. To me, that's potentially 6/9th's of a SC top9 and 3/4 of a SC top4. If this core is to make it as the spearhead, it needs to make it in the next 2-3 years and I'd even be doubtful that a 1st round pick next year would help that.
Yes, draft pick assets are assets, and can be turned into other more tangible and proven assets. Yes, the youngest of the core (Kane, Bogosian, Scheifele, Burmistrov and Trouba), are young enough to be a part of a latter wave, but probably won't stick around very well if the first wave turns out to be a terrible failure.

I could write paragraphs and show stats on how a lot of our core guys aren't just ok, but good. And looking at last year, we only needed a small push for the playoffs (technically, I ran the numbers, league avg goaltending would have given us a playoff bearth)... and that was with lackluster depth. This core "could" push a SC run, just needs a bit of luck and a few additional upgrades (IMHO 1 1st liner, 1 2nd liner and 1 2nd pairing D).

Old
11-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Bob E

Quote:

Completely agree.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

The way I look at it is, how many teams in the league would trade their core for ours? Quite a few.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
The way I look at it is, how many teams in the league would trade their core for ours? Quite a few.
What are you defining as our core? Bogo, Ladd, Buff, Enstrom, Pavelec, Kane, Wheeler? I'm trying to think who'd trade their core for ours...

I don't think it would be a long list...

Old
11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I can think of a few. I'm also talking about mid-long term, not next season.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Really? who? Might as well eliminate anybody that was a top 10 team, why would they volunteer for such a huge downgrade. Those teams are already SC contenders, what we hope to be. So VAN, NYR, STL, PIT, NSH, PHI, BOS, DET, NJD, CHI off the table off the bat. It's MUCH MUCH easier to stay at the top than the get to the top, look at how long most of those teams have been there. Not too mention the core of teams like NYR, STL, PIT, NSH, PHI, BOS, CHI can hardly be called old. Young cores that are showing better than us already in LA, WSH, COL, TBL, DAL, BUF, OTT would not want to step back either. Veteran teams like SJS spent the money, and are a Cup contender as well. Young teams like CAR, NYI, EDM, CBS all have younger cores with MUCH more upside. MIN has much more top end talent now while still being pretty young. So really we are looking at PHO, FLA, CGY, ANA, TOR, MTL might trade their cores for ours, but even some of those you could make a strong argument that they wouldnt, whether it be the superior results of PHO, FLA, or the superior top end talent on the roster of ANA, TOR, CGY or the faith MTL has in Price/Subban which I do not share. In reality, there might not be a SINGLE team in the league that would trade their core for ours. Honestly, looking at from the other side, MTL might be the only one I would consider, and that's just because I am no fan of the vastly overrated (IMO) Price and Subban. Yeah, one team...

Old
11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Really? who? Might as well eliminate anybody that was a top 10 team, why would they volunteer for such a huge downgrade. Those teams are already SC contenders, what we hope to be. So VAN, NYR, STL, PIT, NSH, PHI, BOS, DET, NJD, CHI off the table off the bat. It's MUCH MUCH easier to stay at the top than the get to the top, look at how long most of those teams have been there. Not too mention the core of teams like NYR, STL, PIT, NSH, PHI, BOS, CHI can hardly be called old. Young cores that are showing better than us already in LA, WSH, COL, TBL, DAL, BUF, OTT would not want to step back either. Veteran teams like SJS spent the money, and are a Cup contender as well. Young teams like CAR, NYI, EDM, CBS all have younger cores with MUCH more upside. MIN has much more top end talent now while still being pretty young. So really we are looking at PHO, FLA, CGY, ANA, TOR, MTL might trade their cores for ours, but even some of those you could make a strong argument that they wouldnt, whether it be the superior results of PHO, FLA, or the superior top end talent on the roster of ANA, TOR, CGY or the faith MTL has in Price/Subban which I do not share. In reality, there might not be a SINGLE team in the league that would trade their core for ours. Honestly, looking at from the other side, MTL might be the only one I would consider, and that's just because I am no fan of the vastly overrated (IMO) Price and Subban. Yeah, one team...
TBH I don't think any teams would swap cores with most teams...

Old
11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
lanky

Is there a consensus on what position our prospect pool needs most?

This time last year I think most of us could have agreed that we needed a top defensive prospect in our pool, and we were lucky enough to get one of the best out of a draft with plenty of them.

This year I'm not so sure. I'd like to see us add a top goalie prospect with one of our 2nds, perhaps Eric Comrie. As for our first... Hopefully it's high enough that it's a no-brainer (MacKinnon). But I don't know which position the Jets should favour.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

LHD and a good goalie. We drop off pretty dramatically after Enstrom on the left side. We're strongest at left wing and have lots of C, although we could use a legit #1C. We're somewhat weak on the right wing side, although it's more bottom 6 weakness. I'm not sure how much time Wellwood has left in the league.

Picking up a LHD who is killer on the PK would be fantastic.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Is there a consensus on what position our prospect pool needs most?

This time last year I think most of us could have agreed that we needed a top defensive prospect in our pool, and we were lucky enough to get one of the best out of a draft with plenty of them.

This year I'm not so sure. I'd like to see us add a top goalie prospect with one of our 2nds, perhaps Eric Comrie. As for our first... Hopefully it's high enough that it's a no-brainer (MacKinnon). But I don't know which position the Jets should favour.
For true SC contender in 2-3 years:
True #1 C - sure Sheif could end up there but that's a could, even the most hopeful are still realistic on this
#3/4 LD - doesn't have to be left handed, just can play left side... Trouba, Redmond, and Postma all haven't learned that side yet and unlikely that they really will. All minutes type guy who can beat evens and do avg-or-above-avg on PK
>league avg G - just like Sheif, Pavs could be it, but never good to put all your eggs in one basket

Realistically this is how I view our youth core (PS obviously there is room for wiggles with players and changes in people's progression but just being realistic here):
Quote:
Kane - 1C - Wheeler
Ladd - Sheif - Little
Telegin - Burmi - RW

Enstrom - Bogosian
LD - Trouba

G
Pavs/Montoya/Pasquale/Dekanich
Rest can easily be filtered with lower picks and UFA.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
For true SC contender in 2-3 years:
True #1 C - sure Sheif could end up there but that's a could, even the most hopeful are still realistic on this
#3/4 LD - doesn't have to be left handed, just can play left side... Trouba, Redmond, and Postma all haven't learned that side yet and unlikely that they really will. All minutes type guy who can beat evens and do avg-or-above-avg on PK
>league avg G - just like Sheif, Pavs could be it, but never good to put all your eggs in one basket

Realistically this is how I view our youth core (PS obviously there is room for wiggles with players and changes in people's progression but just being realistic here):

Rest can easily be filtered with lower picks and UFA.
Completely agree with your list garret, though i'm not completely sold on Little as a 2nd line RW. Maybe, not sure.

Center is still a need, imo. Though getting Jokinen and having Scheifele in the wings improves this situation both short and (hopefully) longer term. Jury is still out on Burmi, and Little (at C). Quality top 6 centers are hard to acquire via trade, so drafting them seems to be the best route. Honestly, i'd like the Jets to come away from draft day in 2013 with an impact, dare i say 'franchise center', if picking in the top 5.

After Wheeler (who may continue to develop into a legit 1st line RW'er), we're pretty thin at impact RW'ers, with maybe only Kosmachuk with 2nd line potential. If we're drafting in the 6-10 range, I would love to see the Jets acquire an impact, scoring winger - say a Drouin or Shinkaruk.

But, 2nd pairing LD is also a need, as would be a legitimate future goaltender with some serious upside.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Bang on.

I don't see other teams desperate to acquire any of our core players (for their core) other than Bogo, Kane, Enstrom, Trouba - and maybe Scheifele. Teams may want to acquire other Jets, but would not be willing to disrupt their core to do it. But they would realize to get any of the above mentioned, they would have to return at least some of their key core players, for the most part.

Looking over Phoenix's roster, and then seeing the success they've had, you wonder if having a coach like Tippett might take this current Jets team much further than where we think they can go. Tippett in Phoenix or Hitchcock in StL. Hmmmm.

Closed Thread