HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  #201
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Completely agree with your list garret, though i'm not completely sold on Little as a 2nd line RW. Maybe, not sure.

Center is still a need, imo. Though getting Jokinen and having Scheifele in the wings improves this situation both short and (hopefully) longer term. Jury is still out on Burmi, and Little (at C). Quality top 6 centers are hard to acquire via trade, so drafting them seems to be the best route. Honestly, i'd like the Jets to come away from draft day in 2013 with an impact, dare i say 'franchise center', if picking in the top 5.

After Wheeler (who may continue to develop into a legit 1st line RW'er), we're pretty thin at impact RW'ers, with maybe only Kosmachuk with 2nd line potential. If we're drafting in the 6-10 range, I would love to see the Jets acquire an impact, scoring winger - say a Drouin or Shinkaruk.

But, 2nd pairing LD is also a need, as would be a legitimate future goaltender with some serious upside.
When I look at production I look at 3 things:
*how they were used (hard/easy competition and favourability of zone starts)
*how much of it could be luck (SH% relative to their career, OnIceSH% and PDO)
*their even strength production rates relative to their peers (per TOI so to even out playing field)

Little was the 38th best goal scorer for C at even strength per the TOI, and was the least sheltered forward for the Jets

Wheeler was the 6th best set up man (by primary assists) for RW at even strength per TOI, and was the second least sheltered forward on the Jets

That sounds pretty damn good for 1st liner and 2nd liner in my books.

garret9 is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
  #202
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
When I look at production I look at 3 things:
*how they were used (hard/easy competition and favourability of zone starts)
*how much of it could be luck (SH% relative to their career, OnIceSH% and PDO)
*their even strength production rates relative to their peers (per TOI so to even out playing field)

Little was the 38th best goal scorer for C at even strength per the TOI, and was the least sheltered forward for the Jets

Wheeler was the 6th best set up man (by primary assists) for RW at even strength per TOI, and was the second least sheltered forward on the Jets

That sounds pretty damn good for 1st liner and 2nd liner in my books.
Well, maybe you can sway me on Little - and i like him more as the 2nd line RW'er than C.

Would love Wheeler to score more goals to be a 'legit in my books' 1st line RW'er. I think he can.

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  #203
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well, maybe you can sway me on Little - and i like him more as the 2nd line RW'er than C.

Would love Wheeler to score more goals to be a 'legit in my books' 1st line RW'er. I think he can.
Little: I like Little. He doesn't make much noise or cause people to jump out of their seats, but he does everything well and is great 2way guy which is why he gets put at C but I don't think he has the playmaking for what most like in C.

Wheeler: Possible, he keeps putting more pucks to the net each year, and last year he had a bit of bad luck with SH%.

I did a huger statistical breakdown on our guys a while back:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1241645

garret9 is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  #204
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Little: I like Little. He doesn't make much noise or cause people to jump out of their seats, but he does everything well and is great 2way guy which is why he gets put at C but I don't think he has the playmaking for what most like in C.

Wheeler: Possible, he keeps putting more pucks to the net each year, and last year he had a bit of bad luck with SH%.

I did a huger statistical breakdown on our guys a while back:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1241645
Very nice work.

Though the numbers may say something different, I just can't see the 'value' the Jets receive from Antro or Hainsey. I'm not referring to their contracts, though the Jets aren't receiving value for their money, that's not what i'm basing that comment on. My concern with those two is from watching them many times last year, live. Antro is non-existent on many shifts and does not win many board battles, neither does Hainsey. Antro did seem to pick his spots for scoring during the year, he does have a decent wrister from the face-off dot area, but there were many, many times he bogged everything down. Noel seemed to be frustrated with him also, hence the majority of 4th line time during the 2nd half of the year.

Upgrading Hainsey, who's better days are behind him, would be a key move going forward too, imo.

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
  #205
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Hypothetical Question:

If there is no season, the Jets win the lottery, and have the 1st pick in the draft - selecting Nathan MacKinnon seems to be a logical choice.

But CBJ dangles multiple 1st rd picks in a trade, possibly their own top 5 pick and one or two more top 25 picks (from NYR and LA) - or something that makes it reasonably plausible, for arguments sake.

Do you use the 1st pick to grab MacKinnon, or take the multiple 1st rd picks in a deep draft - that could be Monahan or Barkov or Drouin and ???

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 05:47 PM
  #206
Boreal
Registered User
 
Boreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
When you have the opportunity to add the best player in a particular draft year, I think you do it, unless you are offered a ransom-like payment in exchange. Dropping down from say, #1 to #5, and the only bonus to that being a couple late-first round selections is a raw deal. The drop from #1 to #5 is perhaps the difference between a superstar and an allstar. In my opinion, you just do not make that move.

Boreal is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 05:52 PM
  #207
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,125
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Hypothetical Question:

If there is no season, the Jets win the lottery, and have the 1st pick in the draft - selecting Nathan MacKinnon seems to be a logical choice.

But CBJ dangles multiple 1st rd picks in a trade, possibly their own top 5 pick and one or two more top 25 picks (from NYR and LA) - or something that makes it reasonably plausible, for arguments sake.

Do you use the 1st pick to grab MacKinnon, or take the multiple 1st rd picks in a deep draft - that could be Monahan or Barkov or Drouin and ???
I don't know. Alot of people are hailing mackinnon as basically another Crosby, and keeping ahold of that draft pick has worked out pretty well for the Pens. I like the idea that he could immediately affect this roster.

However, looking at the Pens now, I'd say that they are currently rocking an Incomplete roster. Their D is very weak outside Letang and outside of Crosby, Malkin and Neal, their scoring is rather limited in the depth department.

While I believe that the Jets have a pretty good depth overall, there's no denying that there is holes. 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing D notably. Lets not sugar coat it here, Stuart is not getting any younger and will need to be replaced sooner rather then later. Hainsey is past his prime, and we could do better elsewhere.

Behind Wheeler on RW we have Wellwood, or Burmi. Both of which seem to have found a bit of niche on the third line. Wellwood will probably stay there, and Burmi MAY develop into a second line player. I do realize that both are actually centres, but that's who we have that can alot into that position. I think it's great that we have Jokinen until Scheifle is ready...but that does leave us with that hole on the RW.

There may be some wisdom in being able to make multiple first round picks to be able to fill those holes when previously said players have reached their best before date, as it were.

However, it could be a season, or two or maybe three before those players actually begin to make an impact on the roster. They could enter in right away, but the later picks probably won't.

Defense and wingers can also be fixed via trade or free agency.

I think I'd go for MacKinnon personally. I just think that that's the better move for the franchise and will provide that star power we need to put us over the top.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:08 PM
  #208
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I don't know. Alot of people are hailing mackinnon as basically another Crosby, and keeping ahold of that draft pick has worked out pretty well for the Pens. I like the idea that he could immediately affect this roster.

However, looking at the Pens now, I'd say that they are currently rocking an Incomplete roster. Their D is very weak outside Letang and outside of Crosby, Malkin and Neal, their scoring is rather limited in the depth department.

While I believe that the Jets have a pretty good depth overall, there's no denying that there is holes. 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing D notably. Lets not sugar coat it here, Stuart is not getting any younger and will need to be replaced sooner rather then later. Hainsey is past his prime, and we could do better elsewhere.

Behind Wheeler on RW we have Wellwood, or Burmi. Both of which seem to have found a bit of niche on the third line. Wellwood will probably stay there, and Burmi MAY develop into a second line player. I do realize that both are actually centres, but that's who we have that can alot into that position. I think it's great that we have Jokinen until Scheifle is ready...but that does leave us with that hole on the RW.

There may be some wisdom in being able to make multiple first round picks to be able to fill those holes when previously said players have reached their best before date, as it were.

However, it could be a season, or two or maybe three before those players actually begin to make an impact on the roster. They could enter in right away, but the later picks probably won't.

Defense and wingers can also be fixed via trade or free agency.

I think I'd go for MacKinnon personally. I just think that that's the better move for the franchise and will provide that star power we need to put us over the top.
Pittsburgh has that whole Stanley Cup thing which is pretty nice.

IMO, in this draft if you get the #1 pick you take MacKinnon. No questions asked, as far as I am concerned. MacKinnon is by far the best talent in this draft. Drop off is pretty big to the 2nd grouping with Barkov, Jones and maybe Droiun.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:08 PM
  #209
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Very nice work.

Though the numbers may say something different, I just can't see the 'value' the Jets receive from Antro or Hainsey. I'm not referring to their contracts, though the Jets aren't receiving value for their money, that's not what i'm basing that comment on. My concern with those two is from watching them many times last year, live. Antro is non-existent on many shifts and does not win many board battles, neither does Hainsey. Antro did seem to pick his spots for scoring during the year, he does have a decent wrister from the face-off dot area, but there were many, many times he bogged everything down. Noel seemed to be frustrated with him also, hence the majority of 4th line time during the 2nd half of the year.

Upgrading Hainsey, who's better days are behind him, would be a key move going forward too, imo.
I'm tracking way off topic but here we go:

Antro is a really interesting guy, even in the stats world. He's not an ideal top6 guy anymore but a solid support peice for the 3rd line on a team running 3 scoring lines (which is what Noel/Chevy talked about last season and obviously are doing with the additions of Poni and Jokinen).
What makes him so interesting to me, is that he matches Wellwood almost identically in so many stats:
*they faced the same quality of competition
*they averaged the same amount of TOI
*they scored goals and created primary assits at the exact same rate (well actually Antro was 0.03g/60min and 0.02A1/60 min better lol)
But they have three stark differences (stat wise):
*Wellwood destroys Antropov corsi wise (RelCorsi 15.8 vs 1.5)
*Wellwood's sh% is inflated
*so was his Ozone starts
I think he's quite underated, but replaceable (but not from our system currently)...

Hainsey is Hainsey. He's had better results with Bogosian than anyone we have (had) tried with Bogo (Stuart *shudder*, Oduya, Kulda, Festerling, and even technically Enstrom)... but I' personally would much rather him as our #5 and not our #4. While we still have Buff (and wait for Trouba), I'd personally like to see if we could upgrade him and re-sign him for reasonable 3rd pairing price:
Enstrom-Byfuglien, ???-Bogosian, Hainsey-Postma, Stuart-Clitsome/Redmond


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Hypothetical Question:

If there is no season, the Jets win the lottery, and have the 1st pick in the draft - selecting Nathan MacKinnon seems to be a logical choice.

But CBJ dangles multiple 1st rd picks in a trade, possibly their own top 5 pick and one or two more top 25 picks (from NYR and LA) - or something that makes it reasonably plausible, for arguments sake.

Do you use the 1st pick to grab MacKinnon, or take the multiple 1st rd picks in a deep draft - that could be Monahan or Barkov or Drouin and ???
The answer to that question... is that there is a good reason I'm not a GM
Buuut I'd probably stick with the guy I think is likely to be a star (MacKinnon) unless I think that the best guy I could get with the trades is close enough to the star guy.


Last edited by garret9: 11-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
garret9 is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:27 PM
  #210
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Pittsburgh has that whole Stanley Cup thing which is pretty nice.

IMO, in this draft if you get the #1 pick you take MacKinnon. No questions asked, as far as I am concerned. MacKinnon is by far the best talent in this draft. Drop off is pretty big to the 2nd grouping with Barkov, Jones and maybe Droiun.
Thinking the same way. Pairing MacKinnon with Kane may create dynamite results.

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:34 PM
  #211
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm tracking way off topic but here we go:

Antro is a really interesting guy, even in the stats world. He's not an ideal top6 guy anymore but a solid support peice for the 3rd line on a team running 3 scoring lines (which is what Noel/Chevy talked about last season and obviously are doing with the additions of Poni and Jokinen).
What makes him so interesting to me, is that he matches Wellwood almost identically in so many stats:
*they faced the same quality of competition
*they averaged the same amount of TOI
*they scored goals and created primary assits at the exact same rate (well actually Antro was 0.03g/60min and 0.02A1/60 min better lol)
But at they have three stark differences (stat wise):
*Wellwood destroys Antropov corsi wise (RelCorsi 15.8 vs 1.5)
*Wellwood's sh% is inflated
*so was his Ozone starts
I think he's quite underated, but replaceable (but not from our system currently).

Hainsey is Hainsey. He's had better results with Bogosian than anyone we have (had) tried with Bogo (Stuart *shudder*, Oduya, Kulda, Festerling, and even technically Enstrom)... but I' personally would much rather him as our #5 and not our #4. While we still have Buff (and wait for Trouba), I'd personally like to see if we could upgrade him and re-sign him for reasonable 3rd pairing price:
Enstrom-Byfuglien, ???-Bogosian, Hainsey-Postma, Stuart-Clitsome/Redmond




The answer to that question... is that there is a good reason I'm not a GM
Buuut I'd probably stick with the guy I think is likely to be a star (MacKinnon) unless I think that the best guy I could get with the trades is close enough to the star guy.
TBH, Antro as a 3rd line guy doesn't really do it for me. I'd rather see a guy like Jannik Hansen there instead.

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:41 PM
  #212
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
You trust your scouts.

They may not even view MacKinnon as the clear cut number one over all , they may view the top 3-5 as being not significantly different in value. The longer the lockout goes , the better the book the Jets will have on draft prospects.


Now they aren't the only team to gain value from this , but they will gain more than many imo. This also applies to say Winnipeg gets the 3rd pick and some team comes calling and say Winnipeg truly values oh say Drouin and Shinkaruk as top 5 players and they can slide to 7 or so and still be pretty ensured they get one , then you make the wanting team pay ...and pay big. Or at least field all offers and decide.

Saying that I value the premiere , elite , difference maker over 2 or 3 solid , good players. I don't compromise if that is the case.

jetkarma is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 06:49 PM
  #213
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
IMO, in this draft if you get the #1 pick you take MacKinnon. No questions asked, as far as I am concerned. MacKinnon is by far the best talent in this draft. Drop off is pretty big to the 2nd grouping with Barkov, Jones and maybe Droiun.
Yeah, no. Have you even seen Barkov play? He is playing at ppg-pace in FEL, as a barely 17-year old. No one has ever done that before. Craig Button of TSN was witnessing few of his latest games in here, and in his opinion he is now a serious contender for 1st overall.

Oan is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  #214
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,112
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
1) Agreed. Again, my main point is though, IF this core is out of it this year/next year by deadline, we have MUCH more serious problems, IMO. Trading veterans for mediocre picks will not cut it, it is time to start anew. Right now we have the capital (fan support) to pull it off...in a couple more years of terrible mediocritry we might not. If we cannot be competitive for playoffs with this core this year or next, this core will NEVER be a SC contender, IMO.

2) Kassian, Ashton, Morin, Dumoulin, Eakin were ALL dealt for immediate help. You just don't see 19-20 year olds being traded for more futures, you will not get full value for those guys. Not too mention all of those guys were guys who VASTLY outperformed their draft position, I am talking about guys who are right on track, or the jury is still not in on...that is what is most likely you will end up with when you are talking 20-21 year old 2nd/3rd round picks.
Totally agree with your line of thought.

1) I think there are 2 separate issues being discussed. The first is when is it ok to deal a vet at the deadline for picks, and the second is when do you determine that a full rebuild is necessary. I was only responding to the first, the situations when it might be acceptable to deal a vet at the deadline. The second, when does an organization make the decision to start a rebuild, would be a lot more complicated IMO.

2) I agree that the guys mentioned were dealt for immediate help, but I wasn't trying to infer that they were dealt for picks. Just that the teams that drafted them traded them within 3 years of them being drafted. To go along with point #1, IMO, having the assets to make the deals that the org feels is necessary is the luxury I am advocating. Just like I'd rather be the guy at the poker table with the most chips, I'd rather our GM have more chips to use whichever way he feels is best. So for the situation where the majority of our 2013 1st to 3rd round picks pan out, I would see that as a positive problem to have. More options for our GM. Keep them all and take a year or two in the AHL to struggle, deal 1 or two for immediate help in areas of need, or deal 1 or 2 for picks to a team that wants immediate help. Or, if they don't pan out, let them move on. But at least with more picks, you would hope with a compliant scouting staff and some luck, we would hit on at least 1 NHL'r.

Huffer is online now  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
  #215
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Yeah, no. Have you even seen Barkov play? He is playing at ppg-pace in FEL, as a barely 17-year old. No one has ever done that before. Craig Button of TSN was witnessing few of his latest games in here, and in his opinion he is now a serious contender for 1st overall.
Uh, yeah I have. I also have him as the #2 right now, he is a hell of a talent...but MacKinnon is in a league of his own, IMO. I am actually a huge Barkov fan, it's probably somewhere in this thread where I said I'd be really really happy with Barkov in this draft, he's my favourite prospect from it...but that doesn't mean I think he is the best, MacKinnon is an unreal talent, the best #1 since Tavares at this point, IMO. Honestly at November of their draft year, I'd only have taken Crosby and Tavares over MacKinnon of any 1st overall since the 04-05 lockout.

Also, Craig Button is a complete and utter moron. Worst hockey analyst out there by a mile. Nobody else is questioning MacKinnon as #1 so Button will just to get hits to his website, it's what he does.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:37 PM
  #216
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Uh, yeah I have. I also have him as the #2 right now, he is a hell of a talent...but MacKinnon is in a league of his own, IMO. I am actually a huge Barkov fan, it's probably somewhere in this thread where I said I'd be really really happy with Barkov in this draft, he's my favourite prospect from it...but that doesn't mean I think he is the best, MacKinnon is an unreal talent, the best #1 since Tavares at this point, IMO. Honestly at November of their draft year, I'd only have taken Crosby and Tavares over MacKinnon of any 1st overall since the 04-05 lockout.

Also, Craig Button is a complete and utter moron. Worst hockey analyst out there by a mile. Nobody else is questioning MacKinnon as #1 so Button will just to get hits to his website, it's what he does.
Ironically Pronman just tweeted:

Im skeptical he will go at the top slot, but Barkov has at least made it a possibility to get into such a discussion.

garret9 is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:58 PM
  #217
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
You trust your scouts.

They may not even view MacKinnon as the clear cut number one over all , they may view the top 3-5 as being not significantly different in value. The longer the lockout goes , the better the book the Jets will have on draft prospects.


Now they aren't the only team to gain value from this , but they will gain more than many imo. This also applies to say Winnipeg gets the 3rd pick and some team comes calling and say Winnipeg truly values oh say Drouin and Shinkaruk as top 5 players and they can slide to 7 or so and still be pretty ensured they get one , then you make the wanting team pay ...and pay big. Or at least field all offers and decide.

Saying that I value the premiere , elite , difference maker over 2 or 3 solid , good players. I don't compromise if that is the case.
Solid view.

This draft may be quite interesting as there seems to be more and more solid prospects emerging as the year goes on. The Jets sit in a nice spot with extra picks to move if they have a player they want to target - trading partner permitting.

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 12:14 AM
  #218
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
It will be nice to see Barkov play in the WJ'rs. Even though he's only 17 years old I think he'll still do well in that tourney. I can't for that hockey to begin, it will be a beauty tourney and it would be nice to see Scheif nab a gold medal.

puck stoppa is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 02:00 AM
  #219
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
It will be nice to see Barkov play in the WJ'rs. Even though he's only 17 years old I think he'll still do well in that tourney. I can't for that hockey to begin, it will be a beauty tourney and it would be nice to see Scheif nab a gold medal.
Barkov played in the WJC last year and looked very good as a 16 year old, one of the better players on Finland last year. Even had 1g, 4pts in 7gp, but most importantly he stood out in all the right ways, and that as a 16 year old. That's when I began to notice him actually, he will be a solid solid center in the future.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-18-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
  #220
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
There were questions about Barkov's skating and compete level.

Have those concerns gone away as he matures?

Bob E is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
  #221
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Barkov played in the WJC last year and looked very good as a 16 year old, one of the better players on Finland last year. Even had 1g, 4pts in 7gp, but most importantly he stood out in all the right ways, and that as a 16 year old. That's when I began to notice him actually, he will be a solid solid center in the future.
Ya, Barkov is quite the talent I most certainly wouldnt mind him on our team. For my money I think if we draft first we have to go with Mackinnon. The reason is he looks to be the most dynamic goalscorer since Stamkos and I dare say we could use an elite scoring talent more than an elite playmaker (Barkov). Not that the Jets really need it, but Mackinnon is the more marketable player.

We could run a top 6 like this in a couple of years:

Ladd- Makinnon - Wheeler
Kane- Scheifele - Little/Burmistrov

surixon is online now  
Old
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
  #222
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,667
vCash: 500
So I realize I need to stop doing this, since picking a player as one of my favourites seems to be sure way to ensure they go to a team a loath (Rickard Rakell, 11, ANA; Tomas Jurco, 11, DET; Faksa, 12, DAL), but this year I think I am on the Marko Dano train. Youngest player in the KHL at just 17 years old (turning 18 before the end of the year though, late birthday), he is playing really well with Slovan Bratislava. Has only 2g, 4pts in 18gp and less than ideal size, but skates pretty well, got a wicked shot, good hands, just good offensive sense. Was supposed to come over the play with Prince George this year but decided to stay at home and play with Slovan instead, and the chance to play in the best league in the world at that age is pretty hard to turn down. This is the type of player you could bring across next year and get into the AHL at 18/19, potential shooting top 6 in a few years.

Hopefully with so many extra picks the Jets go outside the box with a mid/late pick or two and go for some high end skill...guys like Sutter and Olsen are fine, but you are not going to get a top end skill guy with those type of picks, swing for the fences with a pick or two, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
  #223
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,112
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
So I realize I need to stop doing this, since picking a player as one of my favourites seems to be sure way to ensure they go to a team a loath (Rickard Rakell, 11, ANA; Tomas Jurco, 11, DET; Faksa, 12, DAL), but this year I think I am on the Marko Dano train. Youngest player in the KHL at just 17 years old (turning 18 before the end of the year though, late birthday), he is playing really well with Slovan Bratislava. Has only 2g, 4pts in 18gp and less than ideal size, but skates pretty well, got a wicked shot, good hands, just good offensive sense. Was supposed to come over the play with Prince George this year but decided to stay at home and play with Slovan instead, and the chance to play in the best league in the world at that age is pretty hard to turn down. This is the type of player you could bring across next year and get into the AHL at 18/19, potential shooting top 6 in a few years.

Hopefully with so many extra picks the Jets go outside the box with a mid/late pick or two and go for some high end skill...guys like Sutter and Olsen are fine, but you are not going to get a top end skill guy with those type of picks, swing for the fences with a pick or two, IMO.
Interesting Holden, I agree with your take on swinging for the fences with a few mid/late picks. Especially this year when we have a few more.

Your post leads me to ask this question, everyone likes to talk about who they would want in the top 10.

Who are the guys that people like in the 2nd and 3rd?

Huffer is online now  
Old
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
  #224
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
NHL CS North American rankings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=84930


NHL CS European rankings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=84966


Analysis of the rankings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=12103

Paradise is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
  #225
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Interesting Holden, I agree with your take on swinging for the fences with a few mid/late picks. Especially this year when we have a few more.

Your post leads me to ask this question, everyone likes to talk about who they would want in the top 10.

Who are the guys that people like in the 2nd and 3rd?
There are a few guys that I personally like. Some may well sneak into the 1st round and others may already be considered 1st round talents and surprisingly be available in the 2nd/3rd come draft day. At this point it is anyone's guess until we see some of the final rankings at season's end.

Forwards:

- Bjorkstrand
- Dano
- Buchnevich (RUSSIAN FACTOR)
- Fasching
- Kujawinski
- Sorensen
- Carrier
- Gauthier

Defense:

- Santini
- McCoshen
- Hagg

Landing any of these in the 2nd or 3rd would be awesome and I'd even be inclined to trade some of those 2nd/3rd rounders to move up into the 23 - 30 range to grab one.

Of my list, I think my favorites are Kujawinski, Bjorkstrand and Gauthier, but I'm not getting excited about landing any of these because there is a lot of hockey to be played and all may well solidify themselves amongst the top 30 if they haven't already done so.

Ideally I'd love for the JETS to trade up for Mantha, but suspect he's going to be long gone by the latter parts of the 1st round. Chance are not good with the season he's putting up already.

untouchable21 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.