HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weird NHLer Run-ins

Old
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
I went to a Bruce Springsteen concert a few years ago at the ACC with my friend and his mom. His mom had hurt her leg and got her ticket switched to the handicapped seating and as such we got parking under the ACC.

While parking, my friend went to straighten the car out, without really looking behind him, he almost backed right into Tie Domi. Domi looked at him, smirked, shook his head and kept walking. Needless to say I put my head in my hands and was slightly embarrassed. I later explained to him who he almost hit (he wasn't a hockey fan).

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
I heard he hates the Leafs. Is this true?
I'm not sure, but I don't doubt it. Welland is heavily French-heritaged, so naturally there's a lot of Leaf hate.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

This isnt about hockey. But whatever.

So I went to Ohio for a baseball tourney and I stayed in the same Hotel as Amir Johnson and James Johnson. I saw them in the hall when I went to buy a chocolate bar with some of my buddies. We approached them and they invited us back to their suite. We stayed till like 2 in the morning.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
totalchaos5

My friend is cousins with Matt Frattin, I still haven't met him yet though.

totalchaos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
shayne corson and darcy tucker at a Dave and busters. corson is like the nicest guy ever
Tucker gave me a puck and Corson fist-bumped me after the pre-game skate at the first Leafs game I ever went to. I was named after Corson, which is funny because he was still in his first stint with the Habs, but my dad, a life-time Leafs fan, just liked the name.

I also saw CuJo at a U2 concert at the ACC a few years ago, and Sundin, with (I think) Poni and Wellwood, getting to their hotel before a pre-season game in Halifax that they weren't playing in.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Dayjobdave

I sat at the bar at the Embassy Suites in Denver in May 99 with Ken Hitchcock, watching the Leafs get eliminated by the Sabres in the conference final. He gave me a diagnosis of why the Sabres were muffling the Leafs so effectively. It was eye opening and painful to hear a pro coach explain how badly out coached the Leafs were.

When the game was over he got up and wagged his finger at the three young guys sitting at a table and they scrambled out of their chairs like they were shot and headed to their rooms. One was Brett Hull. I didn't recognize the other two guys.

The next night the Stars knocked my second-team, the Av's out of the playoffs, and my dream final (complete with tickets to games in both Denver and Toronto) was off. :-(

But it was still cool to listen to Hitch diagnose the game.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
18leafsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
shayne corson and darcy tucker at a Dave and busters. corson is like the nicest guy ever
I met Darcy Tucker the other day at a Barrie Colts Pre Season game. Got a picture with him... We were trying to figure out why he was at the game and realised later that shane corson's son is on the team... Shane Corson was right there too and I didn't even realize.

18leafsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
The Missing Piece
What's Left?

Brian Hayward lived on my street.

Johnny Bower's daughter was my power skating coach, Johnny Bower came and signed autographs.

Met Rick Nash a long time ago in a garage at a party in Brampton.

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
tony135420

Played on a ball hockey team in the late 90's in the EBHL and Blair Betts used to sub in once in a while. He played Junior with a guy on our team. Think he was playing for Prince Albert at the time. Didn't talk much to us but he was a terror on the rink. WICKED shot and fastest guy out there every time he played.

I played goal and couldn't stop anything from him during warm up lol.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Played minor hockey with Shane Corson the year he was selected for the WJC. Had my jaw broken by Terry Martin when he stopped by at a practice in Barrie. (i was a goalie...told him to give me his best shot....and he did).

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
eyeball11

My favourite occurred while attending a function known as the Bushman's Ball. The crowd was being quite loud (and drunk) in the hotel ball room. I went to the can and there was one guy at the urinal on the far end. I paid no attention to him but he started taling to me, asking me what the party was. When I told him he said "Bushman? I used to be a bit of a bush man myself!" to which I chuckled and said "What are you doing?" to which he replied "Oh I'm in town for the Old Timers hockey". To this point I hadn't looked up but that caught my attention so I look over and who should it be? Dionne.

Was on my way again to the can in a gas station when I walked by a guy on a phone and thought "geez he looks familiar". When I came out he was still on it and it dawned on me: Mike Foligno. Then as I was walking out I saw Ken Belanger. Then I start looking around and realize the whole baby Leafs team is there.

Went to the bar one night and ran into Bobby Hull, Red Storey, Eddie Shack, Tiger Williams and others who happened to be in town for an Old Timers game.

Paul Henderson showed up at my office with the Stanley Cup one day.

Used to share a rink with guys like Jose Theodore, Donald Brashear and such so would see them around the rink. Valeri Bure weighs about 120 pounds. Man was that guy small and skinny.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Played baseball with Steve Downie and shared some words with Wojtek Wolski (separate occasions)

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
diceman934

I once caddied for both Frank and Pete Mahovlich at Oakdale Golf and Country Club.

Met Darryl Sittler and his brother one late Night skating at City Hall...

When I was real young I got Johnny Bowers Autograph at Jack Frazier's in Weston. I did not even know who he was, my dad told me to ask him.

Working were I did the last 10 years I have met many NHL players both ex NHL's and future NHL players.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Encounter hasn't happened yet, but one of my good buds is engaged to Teddy Purcell's close cousin. The wedding's next summer and I'd say Teddy is going to be there. Wouldn't be surprised to see fellow Newfs Clowe, Ryder and Pardy at an after-wedding party down on George Street.

Another one of my friends also works at a local home audio/video store that Clowe, Ryder and Pardy all frequent. He wired their homes for sound systems and TVs and whatnot. Ryder and Pardy have condos downtown either really close to each other or on top of each other, I can't remember. From what I've heard they're all incredibly nice guys. Ryder and Pardy even have a friendly competition going on. One day Ryder came into the store about a week after Pardy and said "What did Pardy get? Alright, I want something better." Hahahaha

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:55 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Tucker gave me a puck and Corson fist-bumped me after the pre-game skate at the first Leafs game I ever went to. I was named after Corson, which is funny because he was still in his first stint with the Habs, but my dad, a life-time Leafs fan, just liked the name.

I also saw CuJo at a U2 concert at the ACC a few years ago, and Sundin, with (I think) Poni and Wellwood, getting to their hotel before a pre-season game in Halifax that they weren't playing in.
they both seemed like good guys. showed up with a bunch of leaf who were doing come charity fundraiser. shayne was legit just in the crowds and stuff. my zio has downs and shayne noticed him and came over and like hung out. he was the one who called darcy over too.

i heard he had some nervous disorder that made him hate crowds and attention tho. kinda like grienke in baseball?? i thought he seemed really comfortable with my zioand all the fans who were there too.

Last edited by donkeyy0: 09-25-2012 at 03:02 PM.
donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:57 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Wellwood?
lol no. if it was wellwood i would have noticed him before caputi

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:08 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post

So I went to Ohio for a baseball tourney and I stayed in the same Hotel as Amir Johnson and James Johnson. I saw them in the hall when I went to buy a chocolate bar with some of my buddies. We approached them and they invited us back to their suite. We stayed till like 2 in the morning.
sounds cool.. what went down in the room?

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:30 PM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post

WTF unless you all sat around playing mah jongg and drinking tea for the evening, you left out the best part of the story.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Reim Job

Saw Corey Perry and Robbie Schremp, then Drew Doughty at a bar patio in London this summer on two separate occasions. Didn't really approach either of them. Perry has a brother that looks EXACTLY like him though.

Reim Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
JGardiner51

I ran into Taylor Hall at the Ale House in Kingston and was behind James Duthie in line at the beer store last weekend.

JGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
calcal798

Saw Kadri and Perry same night during the summer in London, Kadri was drunker then I was, and Perry seemed like a nice person.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Was at a supermarket and was checking out a cute girl. Her father catches me and shoots me an angry glare. It was Bryan Marchment.

I shouldn't be alive.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

My father saw Pete Mahovlich at a gas station and Dougie at his work (St. Jo's hospital).

I saw Mats Sundin at Sick Kids hospital about 10 years ago.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I Believe

2 years ago I was at a Leaf game versus the Canucks. It was the game where Leafs were up 3-0 after the 1st, Raycroft got called in for Vancouver and we end up losing 5-3

Anyways, I go to Muzik nightclub and lo and behold half the Canucks team is there. Recognized Luongo, the Sedins, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Burrows and a few others. Only got to speak with Luongo for a bit (it got pretty crowded) but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

I Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:18 PM
This is my year!

Was at 55 Special, a bar in Barrie Ontario years ago. Met half the Hartford Whalers squad, Featherstone, Domnechelli, Shawn Burke, J.S Giguere and others. Spent the most time with Giguere, he didn't drink and hadnt even earned a regular NHL job yet. Nice bunch of fellas.

1995 is offline   Reply With Quote