HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Weird NHLer Run-ins

Old
10-06-2012, 06:53 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Someone I know told me they once saw Curtis Joseph at Canadian Tire and this was a few days after he signed with Detroit.

He was also at a wedding and by a fluke Roberto Luongo was also there. Now the funny thing is he went up to Luongo because he wanted to say hello and nothing more, however he then said Luongo was such a jerk to him.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I've met Gilmour twice, both when I was like 12 or 13.

The first time I want to a soccer tournament, his son was playing and our whole team went to get his autograph on our jerseys lol.

The second time I was leaving school with some friends, and we went to McDonald's to hang out and we got him to sign our shoes.

It's really unfortunate that whenever I have run into him, I never have any paper, but he always has a sharpie.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I've met Gilmour twice, both when I was like 12 or 13.

The first time I want to a soccer tournament, his son was playing and our whole team went to get his autograph on our jerseys lol.

The second time I was leaving school with some friends, and we went to McDonald's to hang out and we got him to sign our shoes.

It's really unfortunate that whenever I have run into him, I never have any paper, but he always has a sharpie.
I meet him a long time ago when I must have been 10 or 11 and it was at a charity soft ball game. My Dad's company was involved with it and etc, so I was allowed to go into the dougout and asked for Gilmour's autograph. It was a great experience for me since growing up he was my favorite player.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
e84*

was in a food/cooking class with cam jansen back in high school. had the b!tch make me pie... j/k about the pie part.

e84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 12:18 AM
cheechonaleash

I've got a couple of stories to tell:

First of all, my Grandfather and his brother used to work with Walter Gretzky at Bell Canada. Walter actually came to my Great Uncle's funeral.

Was at a Leafs/Wings pre-season game at the old MLG when I was a kid with my parents and grandfather. Our seats were way up in the blues or somewhere near the top. While walking in the hall to get to our seats, Grandpa stopped to talk to an older gentleman that my parents and I all walked right past. It was Dick Duff.

Had a couple of opportunities to meet Rob Blake, Jassen Cullimore, Dwayne Roloson, Nelson Emerson and Ryan Vandenbussche at various local events. (Ryan Vandenbussche is now a real estate agent in Simcoe, ON working for Re-Max)

Finally, I used to work in a provincial park. Was helping to direct traffic one night when I directed a rented RV into the office area. The driver wound down his window to talk to me. It was Alexei Ponikarovsky with his wife and kids and their dog. I said "Hey, you're Alexei Ponikarovsky. I'm a huge Leafs fan". He pretty much said nothing and I didn't bug him the rest of the weekend.

cheechonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Jontlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I will admit, I didn't know he played hockey for like a month.
In my grade 12 math class we had Ryan Flinn (granted not much of an NHL'er. I didn't follow the local qmjhl team and didn't know who he was. The man was huge, and looked older than he was, and was in class maybe 2 days a week. I figured he was just one of those career high schoolers who failed a bunch of times and wasn't sure if he wanted to put in the time to graduate or not.

Jontlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 03:52 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
When I was a wee young lad I saw Bower and Mahovalich signing autographs at our library. They laughed at me because I had nothing for them to sign except my Oaklahoma Raiders shirt.... it was completly black -.-

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
When I was a wee young lad I saw Bower and Mahovalich signing autographs at our library. They laughed at me because I had nothing for them to sign except my Oaklahoma Raiders shirt.... it was completly black -.-
Rip page out of library book, give paper to sign.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spor 13 View Post
I was in Montreal with a friend for the Rush concert last April (2011) and the playoffs were also going on with Habs vs. Bruins. We went to eat dinner in the hotel restaurant before the concert baked and drunk (it was 4/20...) and as we went to pay, my friend spots Glenn Healy and goes up to him and says "Glenn Healy??" and he didn't even turn around. He just gave a long sigh and said ".....yes". My friend and I couldn't help but laugh at the reaction so we just paid and left.
Haha he comes into my store all the time. Dude is tanned as hell.. Always

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Shizane86

Harold Druken's house he grew up in is about 2 minutes away from my house, and a close friend of my family,But from his days in Vancouver he became good friends with Donald Brashear. He use to come down for a few weeks during the summer here. Big dude. Also got Lanny McDonald's autograph as well.

But the most funniest is one of my friends got into a fight with one of the ice caps(jets farm team). Drunk and shooting his mouth and saying how many buddies had with him. So my buddy put him to the ground. Lol. 5 for fighting lol.

Shizane86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizane86 View Post
Harold Druken's house he grew up in is about 2 minutes away from my house, and a close friend of my family,But from his days in Vancouver he became good friends with Donald Brashear. He use to come down for a few weeks during the summer here. Big dude. Also got Lanny McDonald's autograph as well.

But the most funniest is one of my friends got into a fight with one of the ice caps(jets farm team). Drunk and shooting his mouth and saying how many buddies had with him. So my buddy put him to the ground. Lol. 5 for fighting lol.
As a little kid I had a lot of run ins with the Baby leafs who were the st.john's maple leafs. Ended up meeting the following.

Steen
Stajan
Antropov
Poni
Wellwood
Colaiacovo

It was never odd to see the baby leafs walking out of the arena after a game walking over to the Cotton Club (Strip club.)

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Daniel Damphousse

Many years ago, my older cousin took me to one of many OHL Marlboros game on a Saturday afternoon. The Marlboros were playing against the Cornwall Royals. We were sitting directly behind the Royals bench. Although I'm not much of a "rowdy" fan, I decided that day to change things up and let me be heard. It was a back and forth game with many goals. I cheered very loudly when the Marlboros scored and decided to taunt the Royals captain wearing number 11. Number 11 and I were going at it (he was having fun with me, winking after coming back to the bench after scoring each of his first 2 of 3 goals). His 3rd was the overtime winner. He picked up the puck, brought it back to me and said "this is for you kid, I like your passion". I smiled and asked him to sign it. About a decade later, while cleaning my basement, I found the puck that #11 gave me. I can't believe I was letting Owen Nolan have it that Saturday afternoon.

Daniel Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Ran into Shane Corson in a pet store in Yorkdale, it was obviously a long time ago.
filled up Cujo's car, I was working at a gas station on Hwy7 and Martin grove, like 14 years ago. I don't even remember what he drove, I just remember I was surprised that it was a regular car, not a Ferrarri or smtn.

Also at my last job we were doing some work in Hi park at this Doctor's house and his neighbor turned out to be The Kissing Bandit, Adriano Belli ex Argo. He was on Sportsnet all the time last year, he is so freaking huge in person, it's not even funny, but the nicest guy in the world. The Dr was telling me how they were moving some heavy piece of furniture into the house and Belli was pulling into his driveway and ran over to help them, even tho he was wearing a suit and a tie (probably just came from a TV gig).

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 09:24 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I worked at AMJ Campbell with my Uncle a few summers. One summer we moved Ondrus, White and Stajan. Funny guys. Belfour got moved one time too. Lounged on his couch in the warehouse.

10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Cleets

I drank (a lot) with Lyle Odelein at the Dallas airport. Cool guy. Huge Stanley Cup ring. He picked up the tab for all my drinks too.

Cleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:31 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

hmm things that i remember:

-steve thomas going in to baskin robins..i was starring at him as he walked in..guess he noticed me and said hi and shook my hand

-wendel clark at a bar in north bay (its called moose or something) took a pic with him

-accidentally stayed at the same hotel the leafs were at this year when they killed the senators..met brian burke and several others..things that i remember..taking a wiz with joe bowen ..talking to bob cole and asking him if he was a leaf or habs fan haha..at the hotel bar an older man asked us what time it was..then we started to talk hockey with him..then my dad said.."arent you that ***hole billy smith.." he smiled and said yes

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Small Brain Presence

I babysat for Doug Gilmour back in the 80's in St. Louis. For some reason, shortly after this, he moved to Calgary and my parents bought a nice new house.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote