HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Danny Briere

Old
09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

vCash: 500
Danny Briere

Curious to see what Philly would want in return for Danny. Obviously they need D and Buffalo has a bit of a logjam at the position. Danny is my favorite Sabre ever and I'd love remember him in a jersey other than Flyer's Orange or the Buffaslug. I think he'd provide the perfect stopgap Center we need to stay competitive over the next couple years, while also mentoring our hoard of young centers, Ennis especially. For now, lets just forget his NTC for the sake of discussion, although I think if he were to waive it for any team, it would be Buf.

Buffalo offers:
TJ Brennan (Ready to step in, solid top 4 potential) + Luke Adam+
or
Sekera pretty much straight up. Swiss army knife D-man, young, great contract. Maybe a small+ here.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Haven't we been over this a dozen times already? Briere has a NMC and he's not going to waive it. His ex and he have shared custody of their kids, so he's not going to leave Philadelphia because he wants to remain near his children.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Haven't we been over this a dozen times already? Briere has a NMC and he's not going to waive it. His ex and he have shared custody of their kids, so he's not going to leave Philadelphia because he wants to remain near his children.
Dude this is hypothetical, you should read the whole post before replying. This is called a discussion board for a reason.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Dude this is hypothetical, you should read the whole post before replying. This is called a discussion board for a reason.
Kinda hard to do that with the kid situation. No hypothetical there.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If the flyers are sucking at the deadline, then something around sekera gets my attention for sure.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
We've had a ton of Philly/Briere/Buffalo threads. They usually devolve into arguing over whether Danny would waive for Buffalo, and discussions about his ex-wife and custody arrangements. He probably isn't waiving given his personal situation, Philly's a contender, and he's their best postseason scorer, so they probably wouldn't move him.

And a package centered Brennan + Adam doesn't come close. Brennan is not likely to be anything more than a depth defenseman at the NHL level, and Adam's stock plummeted last season, so it'd benefit Buffalo to hold on to him for now because he's better than he showed in the second half last year.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
BannedFromCDC

To Vancouver
Daniel Briere

To Philadelphia
Keith Ballard
Nicklas Jensen
2013 2nd

BannedFromCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:14 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
To Vancouver
Daniel Briere

To Philadelphia
Keith Ballard
Nicklas Jensen
2013 2nd
eek, giving $6M+ x 3+ years to an aging forward is ok when its powerforward Shane Doan, not when its smallish injury prone Briere AND it costs assets.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
eek, giving $6M+ x 3+ years to an aging forward is ok when its powerforward Shane Doan, not when its smallish injury prone Briere AND it costs assets.
Look at Doan's playoff resume, then look at Briere's playoff resume...if I'm the Canucks, Danny Briere is at the top of the list of players to target.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:34 PM
BannedFromCDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Briere has played 70+ games the past the three seasons, he's no Sami Salo, and his playoff resume speaks for itself.

Booth-Kesler-Briere. Imagine it come June

BannedFromCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

Briere is thinking about playing over seas. I think we can safely say he would and can be traded with his approval. I don't think his kids will be going over seas with him when he signs there, so he can be traded. I just don't think the Flyers want to move him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Buffalo needs more centers lol. Want Horcoff?

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
feedingschennzy

How many times must I interject that he would likely waive to go back to buffalo as he loves the city. Custody agreement is nowhere near as crazy as it seems

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Buffalo needs more centers lol. Want Horcoff?
We've been over this before: No.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
tsujimoto74

This has been gone over on these boards about a hundred times. We already have a younger, cheaper player similar to Briere in Ennis anyway. We don't need more small, skilled players; if we did, we would've just kept Roy. What we need more at C is a reliable two-way/defensive player. I loved Danny B in Buffalo, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Briere is thinking about playing over seas. I think we can safely say he would and can be traded with his approval. I don't think his kids will be going over seas with him when he signs there, so he can be traded. I just don't think the Flyers want to move him.
A few months away from his kids is not the same as moving away for the remainder of his contract.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:06 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
Curious to see what Philly would want in return for Danny.
You had me interested here....

Quote:
Obviously they need D

Aaaaaand you lost me here. Flyers D will be fine, and even better if the lockout goes for awhile, then Meszaros will return healthy.

Grossmann - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn
Lilja/Gervais/Lauridsen/Manning/Gustafsson/Bourdon - Meszaros

Neither Sekera or Brennan would immediately crack our healthy top 4

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
You had me interested here....

Aaaaaand you lost me here. Flyers D will be fine, and even better if the lockout goes for awhile, then Meszaros will return healthy.

Grossmann - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn
Lilja/Gervais/Lauridsen/Manning/Gustafsson/Bourdon - Meszaros

Neither Sekera or Brennan would immediately crack our healthy top 4
Sekera wouldn't crack your top 4, but Schenn would.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:58 AM
DJN21

I like Grossman but I must have missed when he became a bonafied top 2 dman who would knock sekera to a bottom pairing role...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I like Grossman but I must have missed when he became a bonafied top 2 dman who would knock sekera to a bottom pairing role...
That poster also said that the Flyers defense would be fine.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 09-25-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: flaming
Old
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That poster also said that the Flyers defense would be fine.
I think what the poster meant was that the kind of defenseman the Flyers could get for Briere (e.g., Ballard, Sekera) is not going to fix their defensive problems. On paper, they have a solid group of top-4 defenseman, but they lack a true #1.

[Pronger]
Coburn
Timonen
[Mesaros]
Grossmann
Schenn
Gus / MAB / etc.

As to the pairings, he was taking his best guess based on last season--not necessarily listing the defenseman in order of skill. Grossmann functioned pretty well with Coburn, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them together. Schenn has played well with a veteran, PMD in the past (Kaberle), so Timonen makes sense.

He wasn't saying Grossmann is our best defenseman, or that Schenn is better than Meszaros (which he probably isn't right now).

All the acquisition of someone like Sekera would do is bump Schenn to the 3rd pairing--which probably improves the overall line-up, but not enough to make it worthwhile to move Briere (and I'm far from his biggest fan).

If I'm the Flyers, and I'm moving Briere, I'd be far more interested in acquiring a stud defensive prospect than another second pairing defenseman.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 09-25-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: quote
Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think what the poster meant was that the kind of defenseman the Flyers could get for Briere (e.g., Ballard, Sekera) is not going to fix their defensive problems. On paper, they have a solid group of top-4 defenseman, but they lack a true #1.

[Pronger]
Coburn
Timonen
[Mesaros]
Grossmann
Schenn
Gus / MAB / etc.

As to the pairings, he was taking his best guess based on last season--not necessarily listing the defenseman in order of skill. Grossmann functioned pretty well with Coburn, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them together. Schenn has played well with a veteran, PMD in the past (Kaberle), so Timonen makes sense.

He wasn't saying Grossmann is our best defenseman, or that Schenn is better than Meszaros (which he probably isn't right now).

All the acquisition of someone like Sekera would do is bump Schenn to the 3rd pairing--which probably improves the overall line-up, but not enough to make it worthwhile to move Briere (and I'm far from his biggest fan).

If I'm the Flyers, and I'm moving Briere, I'd be far more interested in acquiring a stud defensive prospect than another second pairing defenseman.

I see your point, but unless Briere is in a package, I don't think he fetches a stud on D.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:

[Pronger]
Coburn
Timonen
[Mesaros]
Grossmann
Schenn
Gus / MAB / etc.

Wonderfully said.

NitHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
PayItForward

Quote:

[Pronger]
Coburn
Timonen
[Mesaros]
Grossmann
Schenn
Gus / MAB / etc.

I doubt that Briere could bring back a defensive prospect like that.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
I doubt that Briere could bring back a defensive prospect like that.
I'm not sure he could either--but there's no reason for the Flyers to move him for a 2nd/3rd pairing depth.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote