HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part III (First 2 weeks of season cancelled)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
There may not be as many Ranger fans in NYC when compared to Giants or Yankee fans, but when it comes to loyalty we are at the top. Mike Francesa, who hates hockey with a passion, admitted that of all the NY teams, Ranger fans were the most loyal and passionate. Unfortunately, that means the NHL can take advantage of us -- and the Garden will be maxed out no matter when the lockout ends. Fans here will not boycott, that I am sure of.

10-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyMaz View Post
Very interesting

‏@walsha Those that believe all NHL owners support the lockout should look to the NY Rangers and James Dolans' history with Gary Bettman.
Why is that interesting? While Dolan is not fully behind all the proposals the NHL has been making, he did vote for the current lockout. In any case, since it takes 75% of the owners to end the lockout having "not all owners" isn't nearly enough to change what is currently happening.

How and when the lockout ends is not up to Dolan. At best he will be part of a group that begins to assert pressure to end this thing before the season is destroyed.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why is that interesting? While Dolan is not fully behind all the proposals the NHL has been making, he did vote for the current lockout. In any case, since it takes 75% of the owners to end the lockout having "not all owners" isn't nearly enough to change what is currently happening.

How and when the lockout ends is not up to Dolan. At best he will be part of a group that begins to assert pressure to end this thing before the season is destroyed.

I found it interesting for the point you made in the 2nd paragraph. I think owners like him could pressure the league to make deal, in addition to the pressure they are receiving from sponsors.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyMaz View Post
I found it interesting for the point you made in the 2nd paragraph. I think owners like him could pressure the league to make deal, in addition to the pressure they are receiving from sponsors.
The problem is that it takes 75% of the owners to make it "interesting". And right now, most teams are saving money by not having to pay their biggest expense.

Even Dolan hasn'f felt a thing yet--he continues to collect season ticket holders money and won't miss a penny until the league actually loses enough games to have to reduce the number of games played (I read recently that the League will extend the season past the middle of June to avoid losing any games, if at all possible). And while Dolan has the additional pressure of being unable to book the Garden on such short notice, if home dates are reduced, many other teams rent the arenas they use, so they don't have that problem.

At some point, the "haves" of the league will step in--they did it last time when Bettman started to press to cancel a second season in July and August of 2005--but right now, they are in Bettman's corner because if the League wins significant concessions from the players, they will be able to pocket that much more of the revenue they collect.

Wake me when its over cause I'll need to make sure Dolan doesn't pick my pocket any more than he has already.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 10-08-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Wednesday or Thursday the talks will probably resume.

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Looking like Wed/Thurs in NYC for NHL talks to resume but still not finalized. Both sides will finalize Monday ...
Side note: The less media attention, the better.

We've hardly heard anything this whole weekend and although they were just supposed to schedule meetings, less media provides a more comfortable negotiating environment because there's less pressure.

^^^That's probably what everyone's saying, but I feel the same way.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
JeffMangum
#corgi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Wednesday or Thursday the talks will probably resume.

Side note: The less media attention, the better.

We've hardly heard anything this whole weekend and although they were just supposed to schedule meetings, less media provides a more comfortable negotiating environment because there's less pressure.

^^^That's probably what everyone's saying, but I feel the same way.
**** their "more comfortable environment". They shoulder be feeling the pressure, they deserve it.

10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

haha. honestly,i think a deal will happen not in "official talks", but rather in those random unofficial ones, or at least a foundation to a deal.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:56 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Why the **** would I boycott? This lockout is going to be the death of me. Why would I punish myself any longer after it ends?

When push comes to shove, I bet 9/10 of all of you who say you're going to boycott everything that is the NHL, don't do ****.
i made a mistake in my post. I didnt say I was not going to watch hockey...........I just wont be spending any money going to games or any sort of NHL merchandise.

Anybody else boycotting by keeping their wallets closed is what I was getting at?

Also, to the moderator who merged my original post and desposited it into this one..........dont you think that a "boycott thread" is a bit more subject specific to warant its own thread? Its really a specific topic related to the lock out, not just geranl commentary or happenings about the lockout......no?

BOYCOTT THE NHL AND ALL OF ITS PRODUCTS

Last edited by noupf: 10-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
i made a mistake in my post. I didnt say I was not going to watch hockey...........I just wont be spending any money going to games or any sort of NHL merchandise.

Anybody else boycotting by keeping their wallets closed is what I was getting at?

<e not living in NY, I'll buy NHL Center Ice to watch Ranger games, other than that..not really. I go and will go to the occasional Caps game tho, especially with the Rangers in town. But I won't buy shirts or jerseys or foods/drinks at the arena and stuff like that.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:34 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post

Also, to the moderator who merged my original post and desposited it into this one..........dont you think that a "boycott thread" is a bit more subject specific to warant its own thread? Its really a specific topic related to the lock out, not just geranl commentary or happenings about the lockout......no?

If you're going to watch hockey, you're not boycotting the NHL. You're utilizing its most important service - the games played.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:59 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
If you're going to watch hockey, you're not boycotting the NHL. You're utilizing its most important service - the games played.
By the technical deffinition of the word "boycott", you are partially correct. However, the "boycott" i speak of boils down to no money of mine being spent on the NHL. I spend no extra money watching the game. I pay nothing extra to get msg, so again, my boycott is strictly monetary........no tickets, no merchandise, no nhl center ice.....nothing.

The leauge and the owners hurt us bytaking away our sport of choice, now we hurt them by takng away their revenues.

3 lockouts in 17 years........unacceptable !!

BOYCOTT THE NHL AND ITS PRODUCTS !!

Old
10-07-2012, 11:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The problem is that it takes 75% of the owners to make it "interesting". And right now, most teams are saving money by not having to pay their biggest expense.

Even Dolan hasn'f felt a thing yet--he continues to collect season ticket holders money and won't miss a penny until the league actually loses enough games to have to reduce the number of games played (I read recently that the League will extend the season past the middle of June to avoid losing any games, if at all possible). And while Dolan has the additional pressure of being unable to book the Garden on such short notice, if home dates are reduced, many other teams rent the arenas they use, so they don't have that problem.

At some point, the "haves" of the league will step in--they did it last time when Bettman started to press to cancel a second season in July and August of 2005--but right now, they are in Bettman's corner because if the League wins significant concessions from the players, they will be able to pocket that much more of the revenue they collect.

Wake me when its over cause I'll need to make sure Dolan doesn't pick my pocket any more than he is already.
If that were the case, why would they ever want to end the lockout?

Old
10-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If that were the case, why would they ever want to end the lockout?
Because in the long run we're all dead as Keynes pointed out? Or perhaps, more likely because another long lockout will reduce the value of teams and force more of them into insolvency. Losing money on an investment is one thing, ending up in backrupcy is something else. The longer the lockout goes on, the more damage to the League as a whole.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:16 AM
DutchShamrock

I wouldn't believe that unanimous vote stuff.

Bettman has the authority to negotiate. To go a different path than one he is willing to explore, 21 teams minimum have to vote for it.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:35 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post

Bettman has the authority to negotiate. To go a different path than one he is willing to explore, 21 teams minimum have to vote for it.
I agree on not believing the unanimous vote BS. What is he
Going to say, league approved
Lockout wit 23 - 9 vote. That would show weakness and that they are not all for this.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Ola

Quote:

Yeah, and what did they vote on exactly? I think it was the following:

-We have not been able to enter a new CBA with the players. What should we do now? a) Should we lock them out? b) Or let them play under the old CBA and negotiate during the season (risking that the players go on strike right before the PO's or whatever)?

Then like Jacobs calls out for a vote despite everyone knowing that there really is only one options, and before they know it that clown hits the clown media with the fact that the owners all are united behind this. I can see it infront of me.

If they had a vote on what offer to give to the PA, and that was unanimous, it would have said something...

Old
10-08-2012, 07:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

I don't recall exactly who it was, but on NHL radio last week it was reported that "unanimous vote" was a fabrication by Bettman.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Don't believe a word that comes from that rat Bettman.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't recall exactly who it was, but on NHL radio last week it was reported that "unanimous vote" was a fabrication by Bettman.
They probably tabled a motion to report that it was a unanimous vote. Same story last time despite reports if JFJ and Dolan arguing to not lockout and not have a cap.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Just out of curiosity, what month was it in 2004 when Bettman announced the entire season was lost?

Old
10-08-2012, 09:38 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what month was it in 2004 when Bettman announced the entire season was lost?
February 18th, 2005.

10-08-2012, 09:39 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Don't believe a word that comes from that rat Bettman.
Fair enough.

But... Do you believe anything that is said by the PA?

Old
10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
There may not be as many Ranger fans in NYC when compared to Giants or Yankee fans, but when it comes to loyalty we are at the top. Mike Francesa, who hates hockey with a passion, admitted that of all the NY teams, Ranger fans were the most loyal and passionate. Unfortunately, that means the NHL can take advantage of us -- and the Garden will be maxed out no matter when the lockout ends. Fans here will not boycott, that I am sure of.
I rarely go to games and dont buy any merchandise. Doesnt make me any less loyal of a Ranger fan in my opinion.

If more people stopped funneling money into the "hockey related revenue," there'd be less of these labor wars. Right now, your fandom and money being put into the NHL is just a number worth arguing about.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

They didn't need to vote in the BOG meeting right before the lockout. Bettman had the authority to lockout the players. Jacobs reportedly called for the vote last month as a symbolic gesture. Someone leaked the Jabobs vote to Dreger. They didn't mention Dolan and Sather had their middle fingers extended when the vote was being counted. Garroich wrote the owners are starting to get anxious. Not all of the owners are on board this time. Gary has some time to get a deal done before those owners get restless. You haven't heard about many owners being hawks. The PHX owner is a hawk. Gary. That's another joke for another time. BOS. MIN. CAL. WASH. Those are the hawkish teams. Snider has been somewhat quiet. Some of the smaller market teams care about the increased revenue sharing. Different agendas.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Fair enough.

But... Do you believe anything that is said by the PA?
Not at all.

Closed Thread