HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part III (First 2 weeks of season cancelled)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Wednesday or Thursday the talks will probably resume.

Side note: The less media attention, the better.

We've hardly heard anything this whole weekend and although they were just supposed to schedule meetings, less media provides a more comfortable negotiating environment because there's less pressure.

^^^That's probably what everyone's saying, but I feel the same way.
How about no one is talking about it because no one cares. Non-Hockey fans don't know it's even missing and real hockey fans are so pissed they don't wanna hear any of it till the puck is scheduled to drop.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

"John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Confirmation of last night's report...PA and League will resume on Wednesday in NYC. Will it start with core economic issues? Doubtful."

Old
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Negotiations between NHL owners and players will resume in New York on Wednesday and Thursday, but they aren't scheduled, as of now, to include any discussion of the primary issue of how to divide revenues every season.

"Major economic issues aren't on the agenda," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Monday via email.

With the lockout now starting its fourth week and the first two weeks of the regular season already canceled, the owners and players are stalemated. They are negotiating on some of the secondary issues with the hope that it might open the door to talks on the major issues.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...esume/1620631/

Old
10-08-2012, 01:40 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

vCash: 364
Quote:
"John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Confirmation of last night's report...PA and League will resume on Wednesday in NYC. Will it start with core economic issues? Doubtful."
Players just need to call the owners bluff until past thanksgiving for the unity among owners to completely crumble, and that's exactly what Fehr is going to do

Old
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
DutchShamrock

I would pay money to hear a contingent of owners argue with Bettman. I've said since day one a lockout will be worth it if Bettman is ousted. Get a businessman in their that won't fumble along with failure after failure. Plus, you could abandon the southern strategy with the legacy no longer an issue.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I would pay money to hear a contingent of owners argue with Bettman. I've said since day one a lockout will be worth it if Bettman is ousted. Get a businessman in their that won't fumble along with failure after failure. Plus, you could abandon the southern strategy with the legacy no longer an issue.
Maybe thats their next revenue stream if this thing goes on longer

Old
10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

NHL players seem to flood overseas these days. Today, D'Agostini signed with SC Riessersee from the SECOND German League. Others did before, and of course, DEL clubs are signig some NHLers.
The clubs, especially the 2nd league clubs, wouldn't sign a player just for some weeks. Personally, I think this season is going to be cancelled completely. Bad for the NHL and hockey fans from North America, good for us here.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
NHL players seem to flood overseas these days. Today, D'Agostini signed with SC Riessersee from the SECOND German League. Others did before, and of course, DEL clubs are signig some NHLers.
The clubs, especially the 2nd league clubs, wouldn't sign a player just for some weeks. Personally, I think this season is going to be cancelled completely. Bad for the NHL and hockey fans from North America, good for us here.
I would love to see all the players play in Europe this season. The loss of revenues would really cause the owners to reconsider their actions. The hit to the sport might really do damage to a sport very few care about south of the border. Financially there is no telling how much the teams will lose collectively.

Given a loss of revenues I wonder how much the owners partner (the players) will need to kick in? I wonder about the level of contracts going forward. Perhaps some poorer team might be forced to close (if the revenues diminish to a great extent) at some point in the future? Will there be a need for as many players? Perhaps 20 profitable teams is what the league should maintain? The balance of the players can play in Europe permanently.

Welcome to the nuclear winter.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The only thing that is not yet on the agenda, this is the definition of income related to hockey (RRH). The NHLPA and NHL are not all on the same wavelength. This is one of the requirements of Gary Bettman would change the definition of RRH. The Commissioner hopes that the players receive a smaller share of income on corporate boxes for example.

Is it possible that they overflow and discussions continue after Thursday? Yes. It is obvious that Gary Bettman and Don Fehr will continue to talk during the week and if ever one of the two leaders would like to present a new offer, it will do so.
http://translate.google.com/translat...49108%2Fpublic

English translation of a RDS article by Renaud Lavoie. RRH instead of HRR.

Both sides are sticking to their guns. Bettman and Fehr won't budge.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 10-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
The Commissioner hopes that the players receive a smaller share of income on corporate boxes for example.
How does that make any logical sense?

Old
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Maybe thats their next revenue stream if this thing goes on longer
Would that be classified as HRR or non-HRR?

Old
10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The NHL feels the players should get less because there is an expense involved in selling those luxury boxes. The people selling the boxes get a salary. The teams put together packages(advertisements)trying to sell those boxes. So the NHL says that's an expense. The NHLPA doesn't agree with that.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The NHL feels the players should get less because there is an expense involved in selling those luxury boxes. The people selling the boxes get a salary. The teams put together packages(advertisements)trying to sell those boxes. So the NHL says that's an expense. The NHLPA doesn't agree with that.
But isn't that also true for regular seats?

Old
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

So anything they have to "advertise" shouldn't count?

Wouldn't that include commercials to "advertise" the actual games?

So that would mean by the owner's definition ticket sales and TV contracts aren't revenue that should be counted.

The players should counter that any money the owner makes in any way is part of the HHR. That means they get part of Dolan's Knick and Cablevision money.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

if they lose the season i will start rooting for southern teams to go bankrupt just to see betman fail. (petty i know)

Old
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Very frustrating that this situation is still where it is.

How is this in either party's best interests?

10-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Fanned On It

This is getting more and more frustrating as time goes on... can't say I expected otherwise, though.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Our league is slowly dying over stuff like this, especially in American markets. I don't think we'll ever fully recover, and certainly becoming a big 4 sport in the U.S. again is unlikely.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Our league is slowly dying over stuff like this, especially in American markets. I don't think we'll ever fully recover, and certainly becoming a big 4 sport in the U.S. again is unlikely.
Baseball, Football, Basketball are the top 3.

I don't think soccer overtakes hockey as 4.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Baseball, Football, Basketball are the top 3.

I don't think soccer overtakes hockey as 4.
You're right. It doesn't. NASCAR does.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
You're right. It doesn't. NASCAR does.

That's sad.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:20 PM
CostaTheCrazyGreek

Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
if they lose the season i will start rooting for southern teams to go bankrupt just to see betman fail. (petty i know)
Hey bro, I'll join ya

Old
10-09-2012, 01:15 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i ran into bill daly last thursday at rare steak house in little falls, nj....i had a conversation with him. he lives in that area of essex county by the way, for those familiar with northern nj. and to make a long story short he had a lot of off the record type comments in our conversation. he firmly believes hockey will be played this season and he told me the media has been twisting everything.

my brother saw gary bettman at the river palm terrace in mahwah, nj (bettman lives in upper saddle river just a few towns over...ive met bettman as well and he has no sense of humor). the manager of the restaurant is a huge hockey fan from toronto and literally sat bettman in a dark corner of the restaurant...shot a few jokes at him and from what i understood from the conversation i had with him about bettmans night there...he didnt even crack a smile or response to any of his jokes. bettman is also very stingy for making $8million a year.

just to give you guys a heads up, my current (soon to be former job because i am in the academy) job is a valet (dont make fun) at some of the local top end steak houses and these guys come in a bunch. since the lockout, bill daly has been to one of the locations ive been working at about 3-4 times....bettman came once during the summer with his family, and last saturday he came with his dumb doctor friend. bill daly drives a blue m3 and bettman has a bunch of stupid cars....while that may be irrelevant, i want you guys to know i am very for real about the fact that i have had multiple encounters with both of those men.

Old
10-09-2012, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
So anything they have to "advertise" shouldn't count?

Wouldn't that include commercials to "advertise" the actual games?

So that would mean by the owner's definition ticket sales and TV contracts aren't revenue that should be counted.

The players should counter that any money the owner makes in any way is part of the HHR. That means they get part of Dolan's Knick and Cablevision money.
The NHL says it costs money to sell luxury boxes. Team/company employees are getting paid to generate revenue. The players aren't paying the team/company employees but they get a share of the luxury box money without paying any of the cost of generating that revenue.

That's the NHL rationale.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaTheCrazyGreek View Post
Hey bro, I'll join ya
maybe we should all just convert to islanders fans so they have no money problems

Closed Thread