HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Dan Cloutier named to Canucks development staff

Old
09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Still one of my all time favourite GIFs

Quick let in a red line goal against Phoenix. It was amazing that the heavy under-dog Canucks were up 2-0 in the series at the point.

Cloutier will probably be fine as goalie coach with the Wolves. Good for him.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
This thread exposes a lot of stupidity within our fanbase. Cloutier being a bad goalie has ZERO bearing on his ability to coach, or work with players.
Yes, but it's still fun to make fun of him.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Clouts must still have some connections with the ownership, as this seems rather curious.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:37 AM
KISSland

Quote:
This thread exposes a lot of stupidity within our fanbase. Cloutier being a bad goalie has ZERO bearing on his ability to coach, or work with players.
Or we're just poking fun.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Clouts must still have some connections with the ownership, as this seems rather curious.
Alumni counts for something.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:08 AM
MS

Quote:
It wasn't that he was a bad goalie, it was the style he played - basically an old-school flopping-type hybrid. To put it bluntly, his mechanics and technique sucked.

In an age where everyone plays the butterfly, I'm very leery of goalies that didn't play that style themselves working with young butterfly guys.

Same thing with Bill Ranford and (much as I love him) Kirk McLean, who have not been terribly successful as goalie coaches in the NHL.

Having said that, as much as I'm still bitter about how he pissed away our chance to win a Cup in 2003, he was always a great guy and great team guy, so happy for him on that front.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:22 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Never liked Cloutier, so obviously not thrilled that he's back in the organization, but I'm sure he'll do better in his new role, then he did in net.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 50
Hopefully he can teach Lack how to fight:

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:08 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Hopefully he can teach Lack how to fight:

Poor Salo.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Still one of my all time favourite GIFs

What your clip does not show is the Canuck's Captain quit on the spot. He did. It was Naslund. It remains one of the most shameful episodes in a sorry franchise history. Observers had to back away from thier initial comments and take down thier articles.

Roy threw one into his own net that year and Colorado's bench laughed at him and gave him a severe razzing. Roy, confident his team was behind him, recovered.

Cloutier was a good goalie, he posted some thirty win seasons in Vancouver. Now, he wears the goat horns forever after because the team quit. Is that fair? Perhaps he learned something from the thing and will preach teamwork to the goalies in the system?

Somebody should explain it to Naslund and the other non-Captains filling the arena!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
It wasn't that he was a bad goalie, it was the style he played - basically an old-school flopping-type hybrid. To put it bluntly, his mechanics and technique sucked.

In an age where everyone plays the butterfly, I'm very leery of goalies that didn't play that style themselves working with young butterfly guys.

Same thing with Bill Ranford and (much as I love him) Kirk McLean, who have not been terribly successful as goalie coaches in the NHL.

Having said that, as much as I'm still bitter about how he pissed away our chance to win a Cup in 2003, he was always a great guy and great team guy, so happy for him on that front.
How many of these guys were butterfly goalies?

I've also noticed a pretty big trend away from the simple blocking butterfly style towards a much more hybrid approach based on athleticism; Quick embodies this perfectly, and I think parts of Cloutier's game match up well with that style.

But I think you nail it at the end. He's a great guy off the ice and the only impression I've ever gotten from him is that he's quite smart. I think he'll do absolutely fine in the role.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Shareefruck

The thing that bothers me about this isn't that Cloutier's was bad goalie (although he definitely was), but that it feels like a purely sentimental, loyalty move-- I'm on board with that kind of thing for guys like Linden, but I'm not sentimental about Cloutier at all, so it just feels like hiring some guy who's probably unqualified and wants to try something out and is only able to do so because he's likeable team-guy. Just not a fan either way, I guess.

I vividly remember Hedberg being the better goalie and still being stuck as the backup.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
What your clip does not show is the Canuck's Captain quit on the spot. He did. It was Naslund. It remains one of the most shameful episodes in a sorry franchise history. Observers had to back away from thier initial comments and take down thier articles.

Roy threw one into his own net that year and Colorado's bench laughed at him and gave him a severe razzing. Roy, confident his team was behind him, recovered.

Cloutier was a good goalie, he posted some thirty win seasons in Vancouver. Now, he wears the goat horns forever after because the team quit. Is that fair? Perhaps he learned something from the thing and will preach teamwork to the goalies in the system?

Somebody should explain it to Naslund and the other non-Captains filling the arena!
Meltdown vs Minny. That was Naslunds fault too right?

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
it feels like a purely sentimental, loyalty move--
Uh huh. And what is that worth, exactly?

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Meltdown vs Minny. That was Naslunds fault too right?
1 goal in 7 games? Yeah I would say so.

09-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Pascha

I dunno - how good of a goalie was Rollie Melonson before he became a goalie coach? Cloutier certainly has a wealth of professional experience to draw from. Maybe he's good with the kids?

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
I dunno - how good of a goalie was Rollie Melonson before he became a goalie coach? Cloutier certainly has a wealth of professional experience to draw from. Maybe he's good with the kids?
Well by all accounts he was a well liked teammate. I think it's a good idea to have someone in the system helping develop our goalies, so that when they are called up there is very little about their game that needs changing.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
LuckyDay

how many "great goalies" did we go through before the staff finally got Cloutier?

Cloutier can certainly teach the team how to work with management that isn't easy to deal with, adjust to a style that doesn't doesn't make yours look good at all (all offense; no defense hockey), how to put up with media market and fan base throws you under the bus (ours) and others that hate you because you came from the Canucks organization (LA and everyone else).

Any wonder why Luongo wants to leave now?

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Pascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDay View Post
Any wonder why Luongo wants to leave now?
Luongo wants to leave because we basically anointed Schneider the #1 goalie in the playoffs last year. Not that that has anything to do with Cloutier being hired as a goalie consultant.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
LuckyDay

Quote:
Luongo wants to leave because we basically anointed Schneider the #1 goalie in the playoffs last year. Not that that has anything to do with Cloutier being hired as a goalie consultant.
lol - I read this as

Quote:
Luongo [is not leaving] because Cloutier [is] being hired as a goalie consultant.

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
I totally see Clouts role as being more of a developmental and mentor to Lack, Cannata and the Canucks other young goalies.

I'm not sure how much Melanson worked with Lack last year but more Melanson time spent on Schneider the better IMO.

Wasn't Clouts working with the prospects during the Summer Camp?

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Melanson was a pretty average goalie. Had a few good seasons, but overall his career doesn't seem to be any better than Cloutier's career.

The majority of goalie coaches seem to be journeymen or never even played in the NHL.

In general, the best coaches tend to have had pretty pedestrian careers at best.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
The thing that bothers me about this isn't that Cloutier's was bad goalie (although he definitely was), but that it feels like a purely sentimental, loyalty move-- I'm on board with that kind of thing for guys like Linden, but I'm not sentimental about Cloutier at all, so it just feels like hiring some guy who's probably unqualified and wants to try something out and is only able to do so because he's likeable team-guy. Just not a fan either way, I guess.

I vividly remember Hedberg being the better goalie and still being stuck as the backup.
So because you're not sentimental about a certain player they shouldn't be given a job? GREAT decision making.

You should also read something about this before spouting off... I mean its not like Cloutier was the Goalie Coach with the OHL's Barrie Colts or anything.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:

Don't know how much of a loyalty signing you can consider it being as Clouts was long gone before most of the major new management personnel came in.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

You're comparing a HOF goaltender to a goalie who had several good seasons. There's a huge difference between having a Hall of Fame goaltender in the pipes as opposed to having a goalie who is good. Had a Cloutier made that save would you still be saying Naslund quit on the play and making it seem like it was his fault? As a professional goalie you are expected to make a save like that and not use your glove to try and grab it as if it was nothing. You as a goalie are a last line of defense and are expected to be in position during a play like that in the Playoffs.

Fact of the matter is that Cloutier had a brain fart which lead to the momentum of the series heading in the way of the Wings.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote