Conflict in Edmonton

Old
09-28-2012, 01:41 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That's different. An Oilers team in Seattle would likely mean less money towards player salaries in the beginning, meaning easier wins for the Flames. Who are you cheering for?
Thats not the point he was trying to make though.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
It is obvious just a tactic to get the tax payers to pay for the arena, Katz has perhaps the one of the best markets in the NHL. The fans are willing to support the worst team in the nhl with out question and believe that it will lead to a brighter future and as they get a new star each year they sell countless jerseys. I personally believe hockey could very easily work in Seattle but I have 0 belief that team will be the Oilers. It is a good move to put the pressure on the city of Edmonton to put up the money.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:19 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Thats not the point he was trying to make though.
No I know. But it's quite the assumption.... Just because the crappy Oilers are on the brink of losing their team doesn't mean that the Flames are on the move.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
No I know. But it's quite the assumption.... Just because the crappy Oilers are on the brink of losing their team doesn't mean that the Flames are on the move.
Having a crap team is irrelevant. Having a crap arena is, and the Flames ownership will be looking for a similar deal from Calgary taxpayers soon. And will likely be making similar threats.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Having a crap team is irrelevant. Having a crap arena is, and the Flames ownership will be looking for a similar deal from Calgary taxpayers soon. And will likely be making similar threats.
I agree, but it's still quite the assumption. Different team, ownership, economies and city. The only thing that's the same is the province, league and the age of the arena. I mean, It's not like the Saddledown is impossible to renovate, and it's not like the Calgary city council will play hard ball. I just threw in the crappy team comment because it's fun

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Hopefully the PR ****show that Katz has found himself in would make them tread more carefully.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
shogun99

As an Oiler fan that had my first visit to the Saddledome this summer, all I have to say is that the Saddledome made me jealous even though it's 25 years old. Rexall place is a dump. It's a great arena for the Oil Kings but not for an NHL franchise in this day and age.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote