HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Cliff Fletcher Legacy

Old
09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
In hindsight, sure. But at the time, it was simply dealing the future for trying to win now - can't fault any GM for "going for it", whether it pays off or not. How many times have the Flyers failed to address goaltending (either in the offseason or deadline) only to have it fall apart more often than not. Is it really a bad thing if they were to deal a budding star for a goalie if it leads to a Stanley Cup?

If the Flyers dealt Claude Giroux for Roberto Luongo, and won the cup this year, would anyone in Philly care? And if Giroux won a couple of Art Ross trophies, scored 1500 pts, would it ever really be a bad deal?

I'm not suggesting Ramage was a critical piece of that cup team, but he was definitely an important player.

Look at the Chicago Black Hawks. Imagine it's game seven and you have a "Ramage" back there instead of Campoli? Maybe the giveaway doesn't happen? Maybe it's THEM in the finals?

I never fault a GM for going for a cup run. More often then not, it's Fichaud, or N Bergfors, or Robert Nilsson who's going the other way, not Brett Hull. It's a smart, calculated risk, it's the right way to think for those who measure results in hardware, not stats.
I agree.
I have no problem with a GM going for it.
I have no problem with Fletcher making that trade to try and get the Cup.
I am merely commenting on the trade in hindsight.

But with that said, I recall our GM, Dave Nonis, trading two 2nd's, a 3rd and a 4th for the likes of Weinrich, Carney, Sean Brown and Mika Noronen (who played 50 combined NHL games for us, and were all out of the NHL the following season), and it still eats away at me, even though I like the philosophy of going for it.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:37 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
I agree.
I have no problem with a GM going for it.
I have no problem with Fletcher making that trade to try and get the Cup.
I am merely commenting on the trade in hindsight.

But with that said, I recall our GM, Dave Nonis, trading two 2nd's, a 3rd and a 4th for the likes of Weinrich, Carney, Sean Brown and Mika Noronen (who played 50 combined NHL games for us, and were all out of the NHL the following season), and it still eats away at me, even though I like the philosophy of going for it.
"going for it" and then missing the playoffs must be the worst thing ever.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I never fault a GM for going for a cup run. More often then not, it's Fichaud, or N Bergfors, or Robert Nilsson who's going the other way, not Brett Hull. It's a smart, calculated risk, it's the right way to think for those who measure results in hardware, not stats.
I think we have to be careful with that line of thinking. The GM's job isn't to pull either hardware or stats out of a hat; his job is to manage personnel within his organization. He should be evaluated in those terms; it's quite possible that he could make a bad trade on the way to the Cup, particularly if that trade unnecessarily reduces his organization's chances at Cups in the immediate future.

Vadim, thanks for the rundown you posted above. It really helps to get out of hindsight-mode and look at the facts as they appeared in real time.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote