HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Whos Better? Ilya Kovalchuk vs. Henrik Sedin

Old
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
That was Pandolfo's last goal as a Devil too. Good way to go out.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Obviously something happened in that locker room too with Langenbrunner and Lemaire once we got healthy again, and we still sucked.
i have one for that too!

Iím going to go against conventional wisdom when I say this, but I donít think Langenbrunner is the problem.

I think Langenbrunner, trying to be a good captain, is only the voice of the discontent -- that goes deeper than just one player.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

ok, ok im done lol. I have tons more saved, but ill keep them in the back pocket for a rainy day

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

I beg to differ.
Even though he didn't score, that coast to coast rush is one of my favorite individual efforts in NHL history.

Kind of silly considering he missed the net, but that rush literally got me out of my seat.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I think we were 30-9-1 in the first half that year.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
That was Pandolfo's last goal as a Devil too. Good way to go out.
He did "score" one more, although it was waved off. Later in the year, he would score a goal, I believe against the Islanders, ironically. However, upon reviewing the goal, Rob Niedermayer appeared to have kicked it in, which made me irate because not only was the puck going in anyway until Rob foolishly booted it in, but it would have been Pandolfo's 100th career goal.

Can't tell you how happy I was when he netted #100 with the Isles.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yes we were the best team in the league that first half of the season. It's kinda funny because we were the best in the first half, and at least one of the worst in the second half. The next year it was opposite. Worst in the first half, best in the second half. It's like the bad parts of each of those seasons could be one season, and the good parts can be combined for another.

I liked Jay, but I was glad when he left. He didn't ruin good memories of him for me like Langenbrunner did. He just was painful to watch after he got that contract. More in the second year than the first.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:09 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

I beg to differ.
I can never find the MSG feed of this game, want to hear Chico and Doc/Cangi call.

NjDevsRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
29-11-1 iirc, that doesn't add up to 41

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Required:

beautiful

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
29-11-1 iirc, that doesn't add up to 41
then we were like 28-10-3 in the second half of 10/11.

I remember when Kovalchuk came it took him some time to get used to the different system. I don't remember him being too bad defensively though he did cause a shorthanded goal against Calgary after the Olympics and almost caused a few others. There were a couple games we got the hell beat out of us, and scored a single goal, and Kovalchuk was the one to score. He also had an empty net, and passed it to Rolston to shoot at which was classy to me.

Old
09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
I remember Marty was 29-9-1 in his first 39 starts.

I was seriously considering making a "Brodeur - 30 wins in 40 starts" thread on the main board, but that clearly didn't happen.

Turning point of that season was Elias getting concussed vs. Colorado. We were dog **** after that game.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

i always thought the turning point was the game where the lights went out against the Lightning. The one that had to be finished two days later. That was game 42 I believe. Though the game where Marty, and Lundqvist got dual shutouts where we won in the shootout at MSG might have been the very next game. It was all downhill after, and Patty was injured a couple games later.

The only team we completely dominated after that was the Penguins who we went 6-0-0 against that season. I'm trying to think of the absolute low point. Either getting shutout by Edmonton 2-0 by Edmonton, or 1-0 by St Louis at home. That game against St Louis at home was the one we had all kinds of PP opportunities, and couldn't convert and the fans were booing. I think Zach, and Jamie were particularly offended by that as they voiced their displeasure in the post game interviews.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Teams started figuring out how to beat Lemaire's stretch pass system. That was part of the reason.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:20 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
i always thought the turning point was the game where the lights went out against the Lightning. The one that had to be finished two days later. That was game 42 I believe. Though the game where Marty, and Lundqvist got dual shutouts where we won in the shootout at MSG might have been the very next game. It was all downhill after, and Patty was injured a couple games later.

The only team we completely dominated after that was the Penguins who we went 6-0-0 against that season. I'm trying to think of the absolute low point. Either getting shutout by Edmonton 2-0 by Edmonton, or 1-0 by St Louis at home. That game against St Louis at home was the one we had all kinds of PP opportunities, and couldn't convert and the fans were booing. I think Zach, and Jamie were particularly offended by that as they voiced their displeasure in the post game interviews.
well that's nothing new...he always criticized the fans...for no reason what-so-ever.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Teams started figuring out how to beat Lemaire's stretch pass system. That was part of the reason.
You know I don't know how much that had to do with it, but yeah I did notice that a lot. It did seem to get exposed.

I remember Marty getting pulled a lot that year. Which is why I didn't understand when Chico said during the Calgary game ''Man Steve I don't remember Marty Brodeur getting the hook this many times this early in a season before''.

He was usually pulled late in the game though. That was a minor annoyance I had with Lemaire that year. Usually when the game was no longer winnable he would pull Marty to rest him up for the next game. What I didn't understand was why he started many of those games to begin with. I Barely remember Danis playing. Most of the games he played I would bet were relief jobs. I think he started like 4 games, and the rest were relief.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:26 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
You know I don't know how much that had to do with it, but yeah I did notice that a lot. It did seem to get exposed.

I remember Marty getting pulled a lot that year. Which is why I didn't understand when Chico said during the Calgary game ''Man Steve I don't remember Marty Brodeur getting the hook this many times this early in a season before''.

He was usually pulled late in the game though. That was a minor annoyance I had with Lemaire that year. Usually when the game was no longer winnable he would pull Marty to rest him up for the next game. What I didn't understand was why he started many of those games to begin with. I Barely remember Danis playing. Most of the games he played I would bet were relief jobs. I think he started like 4 games, and the rest were relief.
Marty played 77 games that season...its clear now that he thrives with playing a lot but he shouldn't have played 77...and this is besides the point that Danis was barely an AHL goaltender that year...

Old
09-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Marty played 77 games that season...its clear now that he thrives with playing a lot but he shouldn't have played 77...and this is besides the point that Danis was barely an AHL goaltender that year...
I don't remember Danis being too bad. He got pulled in Dallas that one game, and Marty came on for relief. He looked like a statue in that shootout game he played though. He probably we have sucked had he played many more games though.

I think one of Danis 2 NHL shutouts came against us when he played for the Isles haha.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:34 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
I don't remember Danis being too bad. He got pulled in Dallas that one game, and Marty came on for relief. He looked like a statue in that shootout game he played though. He probably we have sucked had he played many more games though.

I think one of Danis 2 NHL shutouts came against us when he played for the Isles haha.
3-0 loss to the leafs...got scored on 3 times by the leafs in the shootout...

Old
09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:

After Marty's performance at the Olympics, getting torched by Calgary in his first game back was pretty hard to swallow. I think a lot of people felt his career was legitimately over after that game.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
After Marty's performance at the Olympics, getting torched by Calgary in his first game back was pretty hard to swallow. I think a lot of people felt his career was legitimately over after that game.
Yeah he was giving up a lot of rebounds in that game I remember.

I think that was his second game cause we played San Jose right before that out of the break. We were winning 4-0 in the 3rd, and San Jose scored 3 goals in like 3 or 4 minutes but we hung on.

I think the Edmonton shutout was after Calgary, and Marty played great that game, but the rest of the team was garbage. I don't even remember who the goaltender was in that game for Edmonton. It wasn't Khabibulin. Some no name guy. We're famous for getting shutout by no names! Like Anders Nilsson this year, and Yann Danis, and every other Isles backup.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Part of the reason is we also got lucky in the first half, as much as some people don't like that explanation. We won an absurd amount of one goal games (more than we usually do) and had loads of timely goals.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Danis and his 2.05 GAA / .923 save percentage was "barely an AHL goaltender"?

Danis had six starts, and appeared in a total of 12 games.

Old
09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Part of the reason is we also got lucky in the first half, as much as some people don't like that explanation. We won an absurd amount of one goal games (more than we usually do) and had loads of timely goals.
cue the oriole comparison

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
cue the oriole comparison
Not quite the same, because the Devils have actually shown a consistent ability to win one goal games throughout their recent history. They're also different sports.

Going undefeated in extra inning games is just plain luck. Winning a hard fought, defensive hockey game involves some luck, but involves other things as well.