HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 03:53 AM
ahmon

vCash: 500
get a top 10 pick (luongo trade) and draft Sean Monahan.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Sergei Shirokov

If by some miracle (Which won't happen) Anthony Mantha is available, that would be perfect.

I would be interested in trading up to get him if we can do so at a reasonable price, otherwise I would look at Carrier myself, if no other players drop.

I think he will be better than some of the other offensive guys, I see him as a borderline 1st liner/High end 2nd liner myself, (Sort of like Jensen) someone capable of putting up points, similar to Jensen expect he is a bit more dynamic offensively and doesn't quite have the size and size advantage Jensen does.

I think Carrier and Jensen would be great together, Carrier has great offensive skills but is mainly a playmaker and with Jensen as the finisher.
A line of: Carrier - Gaunce - Jensen would bring size, great offensive ability and a solid two way play with Gaunce being the anchor defensively on that line.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
If by some miracle (Which won't happen) Anthony Mantha is available, that would be perfect.

I would be interested in trading up to get him if we can do so at a reasonable price, otherwise I would look at Carrier myself, if no other players drop.

I think he will be better than some of the other offensive guys, I see him as a borderline 1st liner/High end 2nd liner myself, (Sort of like Jensen) someone capable of putting up points, similar to Jensen expect he is a bit more dynamic offensively and doesn't quite have the size and size advantage Jensen does.

I think Carrier and Jensen would be great together, Carrier has great offensive skills but is mainly a playmaker and with Jensen as the finisher.
A line of: Carrier - Gaunce - Jensen would bring size, great offensive ability and a solid two way play with Gaunce being the anchor defensively on that line.

For a playmaker, Carrier's vision seems suspect to me.

I mean, if all the best 1st round talent is gone, sure. But I think Carrier is more a 2nd round talent. I wouldn't mind a 2nd spent on him at all. The 1st round? Not so much.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Another guy in the late rounds I want in Sven Andrighetto.

Was really impressed with him in the WJ, and he is piling up the points with Rouyn-Noranda. (67 points in 39 games and +13)

He is a bit on the small side (5'10, 180) but from what I saw in the WJ he wasn't one to shy away from the tough stuff and there is a bit of grit there.

Hopefully we pick him up in the later rounds, anywhere from 4th-6th would be great.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 02-12-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
For a playmaker, Carrier's vision seems suspect to me.

I mean, if all the best 1st round talent is gone, sure. But I think Carrier is more a 2nd round talent. I wouldn't mind a 2nd spent on him at all. The 1st round? Not so much.
Keep in mind he is playing on a terrible team, Cape Breton is worst in the Q, 11-34 absolutely terrible. And he still has 42 Points in 34 Games. To put that into perspective, he is the only player at or over PPG on his team, and the next closest has 29 Points in 39 games.

To me he has alot more pure offensive talent than alot of the other offensive forwards rated as potential late 1st rounders IMO.

If he was on a better team, it would be easier to judge but that has to be a consideration. He is just so explosive and Dynamic. If there are no other fallers or clear better guys, he is who I would take.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Another guy we gotta grab.

Jesse Lees. RH D man for Kelowna.

9th Overall pick in the Bantam Draft. He's a mobile puck moving defenseman, Smooth skater, great first pass, a good PP guy. Like all offensive guys the work needs to be in the defensive zone but when he compete and at his best he is a solid defensive player for the Rockets. and he is a +38. So he seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.

He hopes to be like Tyson Barrie although his favorite player and the person he tries to pattern himself after is Mike Green.

Could be a steal, coming from Kelowna you never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO1LO1b-DQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sAMlarJgs

Old
02-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Sergei Shirokov

the other guy from Kelowna is Mitchell Wheaton.

A big stay at home defenseman. (6'5 225) He great at clearing the net, good reach, very strong, good hockey sense, solid passer. Decent skater. Seems to have good agility for a big guy. Not alot of offense but apparently he has a decent shot. Maybe he will develop a big blast as he continues to develop. Just a tough guy to play against and loves to play that rough and tough game. He also grew up a Canucks fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyAf4cxEyE

Old
02-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Keep in mind he is playing on a terrible team, Cape Breton is worst in the Q, 11-34 absolutely terrible. And he still has 42 Points in 34 Games. To put that into perspective, he is the only player at or over PPG on his team, and the next closest has 29 Points in 39 games.

To me he has alot more pure offensive talent than alot of the other offensive forwards rated as potential late 1st rounders IMO.

If he was on a better team, it would be easier to judge but that has to be a consideration. He is just so explosive and Dynamic. If there are no other fallers or clear better guys, he is who I would take.

I've seen him play and understand he's on a weaker team. I just don't see him as explosive or dynamic. He's a powerful skater with a north-south game. His offensive game doesn't seem diverse to me. He goes at defenders but isn't crafty about it. More to that, he seems like a solo artist at times, with limited vision.

Could be the affects of a bad team, but I see it more as him. The points are great, but it's looking at the player himself. With Gaunce, for instance, I could see he had vision even playing with lesser players. Just the way he played. Maybe Carrier's lost faith with his teammates? But I haven't seen that same type of vision with him. It could hold him back at the next level.

You could like him more than me, that's fair. I think if a guy like Dickinson is there that there's no way I'd spend that pick on Carrier instead. It all depends though.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
arsmaster

I hate the 'he's on a bad team, look at his production' comments.

When you're on a bad team, if you're one of the better players you'll play upwards of half the game in all situations, getting #1 PP time ect.

It is a factor in a players production for sure, but is being the top scorer on a crappy team as important as being a key contributor on a winning team? I'm not so sure.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

When you're on a bad team, if you're one of the better players you'll play upwards of half the game in all situations, getting #1 PP time ect.

It is a factor in a players production for sure, but is being the top scorer on a crappy team as important as being a key contributor on a winning team? I'm not so sure.
I only think the bad team line works for the goalie. "He has a .900 save percentage on the worst team in the league".

Old
02-12-2013, 10:46 AM
biturbo19

Quote:

I don't put much stock in those sort of things either way. Because it can go both ways. As you say, being the 'go-to' guy on a bad team can inflate production by virtue of eating up all of the prime offensive minutes.

On the other hand, just take a look at that SeaDogs championship team from the past few years. That team produced a bunch of 'passengers' who had their production and level of play inflated by playing with such a wealth of other talent.

So you really can't give a catch-all rule either way. I think you just have to look at it case-by-case and decide what's going on with each situation specifically.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I don't put much stock in those sort of things either way. Because it can go both ways. As you say, being the 'go-to' guy on a bad team can inflate production by virtue of eating up all of the prime offensive minutes.

On the other hand, just take a look at that SeaDogs championship team from the past few years. That team produced a bunch of 'passengers' who had their production and level of play inflated by playing with such a wealth of other talent.

So you really can't give a catch-all rule either way. I think you just have to look at it case-by-case and decide what's going on with each situation specifically.
Exactly.

The two guys that stick out most are Lazar and Bo Horvat. On deep, stacked rosters, yet get used in all the key situations. They aren't the go to offensive guys, but they are counted on in all situations.

In different circumstances I imagine they'd have a bunch more points, but its nice to see consistent production and highly developed two way leaders as well.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Exactly.

The two guys that stick out most are Lazar and Bo Horvat. On deep, stacked rosters, yet get used in all the key situations. They aren't the go to offensive guys, but they are counted on in all situations.

In different circumstances I imagine they'd have a bunch more points, but its nice to see consistent production and highly developed two way leaders as well.
I've been impressed with Lazar. He's got a lot of hockey sense and some really high end skill.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Trelane

I want us to take the most talented forward available. Talented meaning hands, IQ and drive, with somewhat less emphasis on speed and size.

Not a fan of taking D men (let alone goalies) in the first round at all since the development curve is much more unpredictable. Our starting 6, heck the whole depth chart, is a good example. Even among elites, the league as a whole is replete with D men taken in later rounds. For every Doughty there are two or more of Chara, Lidstrom, Weber, etc.

Wouldn’t mind getting a mid to late 1st plus for Lou at this point. You know you’re deep when one of Higgins or Hansen ends up on the 4th line once the infirmary is emptied.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:

I think the point was that it's hard to judge Carrier's vision/passing when his teammates suck and he's better off just driving towards the net himself.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

He still producing at at a great rate. 42 in 32 or something like that, with no one else even close to PPG on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think the point was that it's hard to judge Carrier's vision/passing when his teammates suck and he's better off just driving towards the net himself.
This exactly.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
thefeebster

Since we were talking about Lazar, I finally got around to a video for him this year. Wish there was more footage out there, mainly just includes his goals.

For those interested:

Last edited by thefeebster: 02-13-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1321143

So I just participated in a mock draft for Vancouver(link above), and here's who we got(finishing with the 29th overall pick)

29th- LW William Carrier
59th- RW Oliver Bjorkstrand
65th- RW JC Lipon
149th- D Michael Brodzinski
179th- C Mikael Johansson

I made a few trades(moving up in the 3rd to grap Lipon and adding Joel Choinard as a Dman for the Wolves at the cost of some later picks) as well as trading Schneider for JVR, Kadri, and Jesse Blacker(not realy the place to debate the value of that, though)

Let me know how you think I did with the picks, and who you might have taken at each spot.

Last edited by Vankiller Whale: 02-13-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Tiranis

Would probably rather have Sven Andrighetto than move up for JC Lipon (who I'm not even a fan of).

Carrier is fine, probably my Top 3 pick with most of my favourites already off the board. I would've picked Zykov or Jacob de la Rose ahead of him.

Not a fan of Bjorkstrand any time I watch him. Can't handle traffic at the WHL level, very perimeter player who doesn't have much quickness. Would make throw a pick at him in the 4th if he's there but certainly not in the 2nd. Not sure who I would pick in that spot... Moutrey? Baptiste? Harper?

Last edited by Tiranis: 02-13-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Would probably rather have Sven Andrighetto than move up for JC Lipon (who I'm not even a fan of).

Carrier is fine, probably my Top 3 pick with most of my favourites already off the board. I would've picked Zykov or Jacob de la Rose ahead of him.

Not a fan of Bjorkstrand any time I watch him. Can't handle traffic at the WHL level, very perimeter player who doesn't have good skating (except in a straight line). Would make throw a pick at him in the 4th if he's there but certainly not in the 2nd. Not sure who I would pick in that spot... Moutrey? Baptiste? Harper?
Good call on Sven Andrighetto, I'll be honest when I say I forgot he was draft-eligible, and kicked myself when he was actually drafted.

Bjorkstrand I agree has some flaws, but I feel his ultimate upside is extremely high due to his great hockey IQ. I believe that he can work on improving his conditioning, but hockey IQ can't be taught. Basically a high-risk high-reward player.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:47 AM
ZenMaster*

MOAR size...

Frederic Gauthier
Michael McCaron
Tyler Hill

Old
02-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Good call on Sven Andrighetto, I'll be honest when I say I forgot he was draft-eligible, and kicked myself when he was actually drafted.
I'll be disappointed if we don't get him. Just seems like one of those guys that will find a way to be successful at every level he plays (and one day that will be the NHL).

Old
02-13-2013, 02:13 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1321143

Let me know how you think I did with the picks, and who you might have taken at each spot.
I have been following that thread... and I did not like this draft. My sincerest apologies!

1st: All of my first choices were taken, but i would taken Wennberg, Klimchuk, Zykov, and De La Rose before Carrier.
2nd: Shame Lodge and Bailey taken right before your pick. But not a fan of Bjorkstrand either. Give me Hayden or Baptiste there.
3rd: I too would not have moved up. If i did, i would have liked Tambellini possibly. If we kept our old pick position, maybe Houck or Nastasiuk.
4th: If we kept this one, Jesse Lees would have been a good pick here. Maybe Nick Moutrey.
5th: Would have liked Krupic or Cederholm if you are looking for a D, or Elie
6th: Well, everyone has their favourite dark horses. Haven't heard of the guy you picked.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:15 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Draft is brutal, for such a deep draft not one of my go to guys were there lol

I used to be quite high on Carrier after seeing him carry his team against the stacked Sea Dogs but he really disappears for long stretches and doesn't bring it every shift

decent pick given everyone that was taken

Old
02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
givemeda411

Cole Cassels should be a solid 2nd round pick

Closed Thread