HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Maybe I am caught up with 2008 still, when they were almost bang on in the top 15. I look forward to Brock's final ratings on the OHL guys, I'm curious what he thinks of Nurse, Horvat, Domi and Dickinson.
They had Galchenyuk at 14 last year and Filatov ahead of Doughty another year.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Nichuskin and Nurse are just that good

Old
02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Love

What are your guys thoughts on Pavel Buchnevich?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyKQRLcTf4

Old
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be honest I'd prefer we draft a more dynamic offensive player like Drouin, Lindholm, Nichushkin(obviously depending on where we pick) over Shinkaruk/Monahan. I know it should always be BPA, but I think long-term our team needs potential franchise scoring talent over a great two-way centre with intangibles.
I think you're accidentally lumping Shinkaruk into the same group as Monahan, I don't know why.

Hunter is a pure offense guy, plays like Eberle.

He's as dynamic as Lindholm just not as developed defensively.

Hunter has top level offensive skills.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
If it doesnít happen before the deadline then draft day is a distinct possibility. I get the sense from interview tidbits from all parties that no one wants a repeat and leave it hanging through another summer. Plus that 5.3 just has to come off to have any semblance of a balanced roster.

I think MG has done well with 1st rounders in taking all BPA forwards. Gaunce hasnít improved offensively but nor has he done anything to show he canít meet the conservative projection of being the next Malhotra (as he once was).
Just so we're aware Gaunce currently has 24 goals on 46 games.

Last season he had 28 in 68 games.

To say he hasn't improved is plain wrong.

He's scored better on a team that struggles to score.

Bellville are in the bottom 3 in OHL scoring last time I checked.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

He has definitely improved, does anyone have his stats since coming back from injury?

Also his stats since the Bulls acquired Quine, Grovac.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
thefeebster

Since injury, in 35 games, 20 goals and 15 assists, 35 points.

Since the trades, in 16 games, 11 goals and 9 assists, 20 points.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Since injury, in 35 games, 20 goals and 15 assists, 35 points.

Since the trades, in 16 games, 11 goals and 9 assists, 20 points.
Wow, he sure can't score ...almost a GPG pace in the last 16 games.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
ahmon

looks like petan is rated low 1st round or high 2nd. That is a highly talented player, albeit small player. Can do worse with our 1st.

Go for skill.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:55 AM
ZenMaster*

Does anyone know about this kid: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/8825

Justin Auger, RW
6'7 225lbs
31 ponts in 55 games

Quote:
Auger is a personal favorite of mine. It’s not often that you see players with his combination of size, mobility and puck skills. He is a good skater who shows above average acceleration and mobility for his size. When he is confident and assertive, he has the ability to generate offense off of the rush. His progression throughout the year has been interesting, and he should be a mid to late round NLH Draft selection.
http://theprospectblog.com/tag/justin-auger/

Last edited by ZenMaster*: 02-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 02:48 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Does anyone know about this kid: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/8825

Justin Auger, RW
6'7 225lbs
31 ponts in 55 games

Auger is a personal favorite of mine. Itís not often that you see players with his combination of size, mobility and puck skills. He is a good skater who shows above average acceleration and mobility for his size. When he is confident and assertive, he has the ability to generate offense off of the rush. His progression throughout the year has been interesting, and he should be a mid to late round NLH Draft selection.

http://theprospectblog.com/tag/justin-auger/
Is he in any way related to Stephane Auger? Because we would then have to pass

Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post

With moves like that, I wouldn't care if he is Auger's son.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
If he's related to Stephane Auger, I don't think Auger would be allowed to ref the Canucks anymore.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
If he's related to Stephane Auger, I don't think Auger would be allowed to ref the Canucks anymore.
Auger is no longer an NHL ref I believe.

About Justin: I'm sure he's on the Canucks radar, big, decently skilled and a 2nd time draft eligible player....probably have him lined up for our 2nd round pick

Old
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
is Auger another Grenier? I'd prefer if we didn't take another Grenier unless it was with a late round pick. Don't think we should take a kid with a 2nd or 3rd round pick if they haven't showed some level of dominance. Someone with Auger's size should really have more than 31 points in his second draft eligible season if you expect him to eventually be a TOP 6 power forward at the NHL level. Something must be missing or he would be producing this year.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Trelane

Quote:

So goals are up and assists are down. We split hairs here. Safe to say if someone told you on draft day that his PPG would be the same or slightly less you'd be less than impressed.

At the time I figured he was BPA and cheered the selection along with the majority. I've also been at this long enough to now that the number of points he gets at the OHL isn't everything. Kid may still be a top 6 one day. Like all 1st rounders he'll get every chance to prove himself.

My aim here is to discuss the importance of selecting offensively talented forwards over other positions, and different attributes. The current evolutionary cycle of our roster demands nothing else.

I think MG knows all this. It would be interesting to get his take on this Jones v MacK/Drouin business. My hope is that he would lean toward the more talented and better puck distributing Kesler clone than the next Roman Hammerlik, a quality D man, no doubt, but one that you can bag in almost any round.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
is Auger another Grenier? I'd prefer if we didn't take another Grenier unless it was with a late round pick. Don't think we should take a kid with a 2nd or 3rd round pick if they haven't showed some level of dominance. Someone with Auger's size should really have more than 31 points in his second draft eligible season if you expect him to eventually be a TOP 6 power forward at the NHL level. Something must be missing or he would be producing this year.
I know PIMs are not a dead give away that a player plays hard or soft but I'm guess with his 20 PIM this year that he must be similar to Grenier. Pick him in the 5th round or later and I won't be angry...even 4th is alright (depends on who's left).

Old
02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
So goals are up and assists are down. We split hairs here. Safe to say if someone told you on draft day that his PPG would be the same or slightly less you'd be less than impressed.

At the time I figured he was BPA and cheered the selection along with the majority. I've also been at this long enough to now that the number of points he gets at the OHL isn't everything. Kid may still be a top 6 one day. Like all 1st rounders he'll get every chance to prove himself.

My aim here is to discuss the importance of selecting offensively talented forwards over other positions, and different attributes. The current evolutionary cycle of our roster demands nothing else.

I think MG knows all this. It would be interesting to get his take on this Jones v MacK/Drouin business. My hope is that he would lean toward the more talented and better puck distributing Kesler clone than the next Roman Hammerlik, a quality D man, no doubt, but one that you can bag in almost any round.
Goals are up on one of the most anemic offenses in the OHL. They are still at best bottom 5 in goals scored.

To touch on you Jones-Hamrlik comparison, I hate it.

Jones is the best player in this draft class. He's not your run of the mill good defensman. Definitely more Pietrangelo-Doughty than Hedman-Hamrlik IMO.

I think if the Canucks somehow ended up with the 1st overall they'd trade it. they need a RH dman, but I think having their top 6 pretty well sewn up, it might make more sense to move down, improve the cupboard by adding more than one good piece.

It's all just conversation right now as I don't see anyway we end up picking 1st. Just didnt like your description of the players at all.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I think if the Canucks somehow ended up with the 1st overall they'd trade it. they need a RH dman, but I think having their top 6 pretty well sewn up, it might make more sense to move down, improve the cupboard by adding more than one good piece.
I think they take MacKinnon and build their future around him. He would be the piece to take over when the Sedins get worse. But anyway, that's all hypothetical since we're not getting the 1st overall.

Quote:
The situation that he's in, goals are a pretty telling indicator of play. Assists are completely dependant on your teammates converting on chances but you have full control over your goals (which are also connected to shot totals). If Gaunce is scoring more, chances are he's getting himself into dangerous positions more. That shows growth as a player.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:27 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I know PIMs are not a dead give away that a player plays hard or soft but I'm guess with his 20 PIM this year that he must be similar to Grenier. Pick him in the 5th round or later and I won't be angry...even 4th is alright (depends on who's left).
Those penalties minutes are 4 fights.

So on the flip side, he is a smart player that doesn't take bad penalties.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Those penalties minutes are 4 fights.

So on the flip side, he is a smart player that doesn't take bad penalties.
He must be the smartest or the luckiest player in the league then. Even the smartest of physical players will take a few boarding, roughing, checking from behind, aggressive type penalties by accident. I've only seen him play once on tv so I have zero expertise on him, but there has to be something bad about his game because Graovac was picked with similar statistics last year.

Last edited by BerSTUzzi: 02-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Goals are up on one of the most anemic offenses in the OHL. They are still at best bottom 5 in goals scored.

To touch on you Jones-Hamrlik comparison, I hate it.

Jones is the best player in this draft class. He's not your run of the mill good defensman. Definitely more Pietrangelo-Doughty than Hedman-Hamrlik IMO.

It's all just conversation right now as I don't see anyway we end up picking 1st. Just didnt like your description of the players at all.
Uhhh... Hedman is playing like a stud right now. He's not far behind Doughty/Pietrangelo anymore.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Uhhh... Hedman is playing like a stud right now. He's not far behind Doughty/Pietrangelo anymore.
IMO he is, he just doesn't have the same offensive skills as the other two.

Good player, but more Hamrlik than Pronger IMO, I think Jones' has a substantially higher ceiling than Hedman, and I really like Hedman.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
If it was me and the Nucks got #1 overall I'd trade down to second, then from 2nd to 3rd and maybe down the 4th to tray and get some early seconds. Taking one of Barkov/Druin/MacKinnon/Jones in 4th + 2 or 3 of this years great early 2nd rounds. Set up of the team for the next 10 years if they don't bust.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
arsmaster

The Lazar dream is over in Canuck land.

Not a snowballs chance in hell this kid last past 15.

Up to 32 goals now. I believe that is now 13 goals and 2 assists in 13 games.

Closed Thread