HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
I kind of don't know what to think of this years team. I'm reacting when Kesler wasn't injured. Knowing that this could be a strong draft year and if we play like last years team...I'd rather us not make the playoffs. It would be nice to kind of hit the reset button and refresh this teams future. It won't happen because of our terrible division but just an evil wishful thought.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Would be the perfect year to tank?

Shortened season, Kesler out, great draft class.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I kind of don't know what to think of this years team. I'm reacting when Kesler wasn't injured. Knowing that this could be a strong draft year and if we play like last years team...I'd rather us not make the playoffs. It would be nice to kind of hit the reset button and refresh this teams future. It won't happen because of our terrible division but just an evil wishful thought.
I don't really know what to think anymore. I want them to win but at the same time at this rate there's no chance they make even a dent in the playoffs. Certainly a good year to get a Top 10 pick.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't really know what to think anymore. I want them to win but at the same time at this rate there's no chance they make even a dent in the playoffs. Certainly a good year to get a Top 10 pick.
It's worked for teams like Philly whom have had an off year and hit reset and pick another group of really good forwards. We have a good goalie going forward (doesn't matter which one) and the Twins for 3-4 more good years. I drool at the thought of this team next year with the twins and 3-4 prospects pushing for roster spots.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

It comes down to evaluating this team as a strong possession team with everyone healthy... If it is, then the intent should be to at least win the division. Allowing the team a chance to make that dent. If it isn't, even when healthy, then it doesn't really matter. They can do whatever they like at that point.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Would be the perfect year to tank?

Shortened season, Kesler out, great draft class.
Nope, sorry, our amazing coach will use his patented process to turn this rag tag bunch of misfits into playoff contenders, like he does every year.

Sorry for going OT I have a sad about this today. You're right, also you have to think we'll get a good draft pick in a goalie deal. Might be time to start bed pooin' for Drouin.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Nope, sorry, our amazing coach will use his patented process to turn this rag tag bunch of misfits into playoff contenders, like he does every year.

Sorry for going OT I have a sad about this today. You're right, also you have to think we'll get a good draft pick in a goalie deal. Might be time to start bed pooin' for Drouin.
Best draft tank phrase ever.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
<--- Made it official Not enough space for the apostrophe though

Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
arsmaster

So Daniel missed 18 games with a broken foot, that will give Kesler 9 regular season games to get up to speed for the playoffs if he misses the same amount of time.

So much doom and gloom, get into the playoffs and hopefully peak at the right time.

Although PRnuck's draft tank phrase is awesome, I don't believe in tanking for picks.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
So Daniel missed 18 games with a broken foot, that will give Kesler 9 regular season games to get up to speed for the playoffs if he misses the same amount of time.

So much doom and gloom, get into the playoffs and hopefully peak at the right time.

Although PRnuck's draft tank phrase is awesome, I don't believe in tanking for picks.
I never said we should tank for picks but I wouldn't care if the team ,as it is, didn't make the playoffs.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

If you have good talent evaluators for the 1st round, I don't believe in it either.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I never said we should tank for picks but I wouldn't care if the team ,as it is, didn't make the playoffs.
I wasn't suggesting you were.

It sucks right now for sure, but I'm still holding out hope we build and build until the playoffs where we start to peak.

We haven't even played good yet, and we took the undefeated Hawks to SO twice.

I'm not too worried really, they have to play better, I'm suggesting they don't, but we clearly haven't seen this team play at even 2/3 their ability.

I can't watch a team that doesn't want to make the playoffs....it's why the late 90's I spent my time following other teams, I would hate to be an EDM fan for the last half dozen years.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
I'd rather we flounder now and get hot just in time for the playoffs than vice versa.

On topic: Jordan Subban- I'd want us to take the gamble and draft him in the 3rd, maybe even 2nd round. High-risk, high-reward is the way to go after the first round, imo.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd rather we flounder now and get hot just in time for the playoffs than vice versa.

On topic: Jordan Subban- I'd want us to take the gamble and draft him in the 3rd, maybe even 2nd round. High-risk, high-reward is the way to go after the first round, imo.
IIRC he was in the late first round on the last few mock drafts I saw.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Not prepared to take a smurf size defensman in the top 60 this year.

Look how much of a beating Tanev takes, he's 6'2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
IIRC he was in the late first round on the last few mock drafts I saw.
Only because his last name is Subban.

If he was a 5'8" white kid named Joe Smith with no NHL bloodlines people wouldn't think of him for the 1st IMO.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Not prepared to take a smurf size defensman in the top 60 this year.

Look how much of a beating Tanev takes, he's 6'2".

Only because his last name is Subban.

If he was a 5'8" white kid named Joe Smith with no NHL bloodlines people wouldn't think of him for the 1st IMO.
He's not a sure bet, obviously, but he has unquestionably high upside despite his size. Hence the boom/bust factor. But I'd rather draft 6 boom/bust prospects in the hope that maybe one of them becomes an impact player rather than players that are relatively safe bets to become bottom-pairing defensemen or bottom-6 forwards.

Plus I think size is less of an issue for offensive minded defensemen than defensive ones. And he's 5'9, not 5'8(minor nitpick), and there is still a chance however small, that he has a late growth spurt.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
I'm still laughing after reading that one, eh.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If you have good talent evaluators for the 1st round, I don't believe in it either.
That is the scary part.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
That is the scary part.

How do you mean?

@feebster: I followed that link to BruinsDraftWatch (I've been there before) and it was quite pleasing to see Schroeder ranked high across multiple scouting services. Really does make you think what his upside could be.

Assuming the Canucks finish at 24th in the draft order, who do people think could be reasonably available at that number? Dickinson may be in that range, but who else? I think Domi, Lazar, Horvat, Erne and Mantha would be gone. So that leaves the following choices:

- Hartman
- Klimchuk
- De La Rose
- Carrier
- Rychel
- Petan

Who do you take? I think Tiranis mentioned taking Petan, but I like Hartman at that spot. Maybe Klimchuk? Who makes the best choice at that position assuming the better names go where they're supposed to?

Old
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Tiranis

I don't think Hartman will be able to play his exactly style of game in the NHL. His upside is not that high either. I don't see how Petan is not the top pick out of those 6 guys.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Assuming the Canucks finish at 24th in the draft order, who do people think could be reasonably available at that number? Dickinson may be in that range, but who else? I think Domi, Lazar, Horvat, Erne and Mantha would be gone. So that leaves the following choices:

- Hartman
- Klimchuk
- De La Rose
- Carrier
- Rychel
- Petan

Who do you take? I think Tiranis mentioned taking Petan, but I like Hartman at that spot. Maybe Klimchuk? Who makes the best choice at that position assuming the better names go where they're supposed to?
Zykov should probably also be on the list, I think.

I definitely see the rationale for taking Petan, but I can's see the Canucks drafting an undersized player in the first round. I don't know much about Hartman, what's his game like? I'm not really sold on Klimchuk or de la Rose, so it would probably come down to Rychel, Zykov, and Carrier for me. If I had to choose I think I'd take Rychel, but I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those 3(but wouldn't be "happy" either). If Hagg is also available I would take him a bit more eagerly, though, as well as any obvious fallers.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I don't think Hartman will be able to play his exactly style of game in the NHL. His upside is not that high either. I don't see how Petan is not the top pick out of those 6 guys.

That is the worry. Can Hartman carry over his play given his size/weight.

I also agree that the upside isn't as high. It would be a pick based on versatility. If Petan is taken as well, who do you take (forget the list of 6, just judge based on the names taken)? For discussion purposes, assume Zykov is also gone.

Quote:
Zykov should probably also be on the list, I think.

I definitely see the rationale for taking Petan, but I can's see the Canucks drafting an undersized player in the first round. I don't know much about Hartman, what's his game like? I'm not really sold on Klimchuk or de la Rose, so it would probably come down to Rychel, Zykov, and Carrier for me. If I had to choose I think I'd take Rychel, but I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those 3(but wouldn't be "happy" either). If Hagg is also available I would take him a bit more eagerly, though, as well as any obvious fallers.

Hartman is a very versatile, sometimes chippy C. A jack of all trades with grit, but I think he's a candidate to wear down/not carry over his play due to a lack of size.

Given that the Canucks seem to like to go with forwards in the 1st, I don't think Hagg will be a target.

Zykov has the Russian thing going for him also. I don't think Gillis will take him due to the threat of the KHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
Hartman is a very versatile, sometimes chippy C. A jack of all trades with grit, but I think he's a candidate to wear down/not carry over his play due to a lack of size.

Given that the Canucks seem to like to go with forwards in the 1st, I don't think Hagg will be a target.

Zykov has the Russian thing going for him also. I don't think Gillis will take him due to the threat of the KHL.
I think the Canucks generally draft BPA in the 1st round, they've just happened to be forwards so far. It's too early to say they specifically avoid defensemen, imo. Hodgson was picked where he was supposed to be, Schroeder and Jensen were fallers, and I can't think of any defensemen we passed over when choosing Gaunce that I could see a case for taking over him.

The Russian thing I'm not too happy with Gillis about. If someone like Zadorov or Nichushkin falls to us and we don't select them, then I would seriously question whether or not Gillis would be fit as GM. But, if all things are relatively equal, then I could see simply going with the North American.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
That is the worry. Can Hartman carry over his play given his size/weight.

I also agree that the upside isn't as high. It would be a pick based on versatility. If Petan is taken as well, who do you take (forget the list of 6, just judge based on the names taken)? For discussion purposes, assume Zykov is also gone.
Apparently everyone I like is gone in your scenario. Trade down? But otherwise Klimchuk is my pick. Or Hagg if he's still around... (Would've said Zykov if you didn't say he's also off the table.)

Old
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think the Canucks generally draft BPA in the 1st round, they've just happened to be forwards so far. It's too early to say they specifically avoid defensemen, imo.

The Russian thing I'm not too happy with Gillis about. If someone like Zadorov or Nichushkin falls to us and we don't select them, then I would seriously question whether or not Gillis would be fit as GM. But, if all things are relatively equal, then I could see simply going with the North American.

I think it's specifically a methodology to draft forwards. They tend to translate to the NHL quicker, providing more time to utilize them at a lower cost. I've seen this trend with some other teams as well. It's a methodology some choose to employ, and I think the Canucks are one of those teams.

Yeah Gillis will find an NA alternative if there is one. He hasn't gone to Russia in quite some time. I think it's safe to say that trend will continue.

Closed Thread