HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Amused To Death

vCash: 50
Our scouts must be getting their weak, sweaty hand-shaking hands in a quiver at the thought of getting a shot at a higher draft pick than 25th overall.

Considering the teams current play, I wonder if MG is thinking futures (ie draft picks) for Luongo, instead of players that would help right now.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post
Our scouts must be getting their weak, sweaty hand-shaking hands in a quiver at the thought of getting a shot at a higher draft pick than 25th overall.

Considering the teams current play, I wonder if MG is thinking futures (ie draft picks) for Luongo, instead of players that would help right now.
They're poring over lists of Jr B players who went undrafted last year as we speak.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
They're poring over lists of Jr B players who went undrafted last year as we speak.
Nah, everybody knows about those guys now. Gotta stay cutting-edge, the real hidden gems are in juvie and community college rec leagues.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Would really love to get Lazar

Old
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Been saying this all year.

Eberle like.

But cmon, we don't do the WHL.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post

The funny thing is, the draft is so strong that these draft picks could help us right now.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
The funny thing is, the draft is so strong that these draft picks could help us right now.
Look what a few young players and change of attitude did for Montreal this year. I really want to re-stock the prospect cupboard on this team.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Pellegrino

Canucks have been watching Viktor Arvidsson and Mattias Janmark-NylÚn closely during this SEL season. Both would be overage draft picks.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Canucks have been watching Viktor Arvidsson and Mattias Janmark-NylÚn closely during this SEL season. Both would be overage draft picks.
You sure? Both are under 6'1. Not sure why the Canucks would have interest in them.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Any chance we go nuts and move up a lot for Barkov?

Wishful thinking.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I'd be pretty stoked if it went down like this.

Gauthier wouldn't be bad either.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I'd be pretty stoked if it went down like this.

Gauthier wouldn't be bad either.
I would much prefer drafting 30th overall, Lazar be darned.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:16 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Thanks for this. Here's the article for it: http://bloggar.expressen.se/ek/2013/...-i-elitserien/ and a previous one w/Hammarstrom's take on Arvidsson http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...s-matchhjalte/

On Arvidsson, I followed him closely at the WJC and thought he along with Filip Sandberg were the best players for Sweden. Their hustle and hard work cannot be overlooked. Arvidsson had a monster game against the Russians, he continually provided energy to the team, and out-muscled/out-battled guys much bigger. Looked good on the PK, nice forechecker with good speed. Nice hands, very good shot. I said to myself when watching him, if Rodin played with this kind of heart and fearlessness, he would be a star. I agree with Hammarstrom in that if there is a small player who could potentially make an impact in the NHL, Arvidsson is the type who could do it.

That said, although its become a running joke, I really think Gillis has shifted his focus on to size. So i'd be shocked if he drafted Arvidsson.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Thanks for this. Here's the article for it: http://bloggar.expressen.se/ek/2013/...-i-elitserien/ and a previous one w/Hammarstrom's take on Arvidsson http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...s-matchhjalte/

On Arvidsson, I followed him closely at the WJC and thought he along with Filip Sandberg were the best players for Sweden. Their hustle and hard work cannot be overlooked. Arvidsson had a monster game against the Russians, he continually provided energy to the team, and out-muscled/out-battled guys much bigger. Looked good on the PK, nice forechecker with good speed. Nice hands, very good shot. I said to myself when watching him, if Rodin played with this kind of heart and fearlessness, he would be a star. I agree with Hammarstrom in that if there is a small player who could potentially make an impact in the NHL, Arvidsson is the type who could do it.

That said, although its become a running joke, I really think Gillis has shifted his focus on to size. So i'd be shocked if he drafted Arvidsson.
Well, R÷din plays like a russian. I suppose Hammarstr÷m can recommend Arvidsson, but that doesn't mean Canucks are going to take him anyway. However he's definitly worth a gamble IMO.

Btw I can't wait to see when Michael Nylander's kid William is gonna get drafted. Won't be in the 2013 draft though as he's too young. The boy has insane skills.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
BerSTUzzi

So now that Andrew Gordon has been called up what are your guys thoughts at picking in the top 10? I like Monahan a lot, he reminds me of of Toews with his overall package.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
So now that Andrew Gordon has been called up what are your guys thoughts at picking in the top 10? I like Monahan a lot, he reminds me of of Toews with his overall package.
Why, are we dealing him for a lottery pick?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Why, are we dealing him for a lottery pick?
We clearly have started to Pooin for Drouin

Old
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
We clearly have started to Pooin for Drouin
It's kind of obvious now eh?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

To continue on the Jason Dickinson conversation from earlier, he was ranked as the 3rd best defensive forward in the OHL western conference's coaches poll.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...es-poll/140639

So he's not an all out offense guy, and I think his offensive ability is good, just needs to put it together.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
thefeebster

To counter: Brock posted a good interview yesterday with Dan Stewart regarding ohl draft eligibles. http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...ector.html?m=1

His take on Dickinson:
Quote:
Brock Otten - Jason Dickinson seems to have fallen out of favor with some scouting agencies, thanks to a less than stellar second half to the year. Is he in danger of falling out of the first round?

Unfortunately he is. With Jason there is so much talent and raw ability there but for one reason or another the kid just cannot put it all together on a consistent basis.* You love his projectable size, and his scoring touch, puck protection, pro-type shot and even his two-way efforts.

Consistency is the single largest hurdle for prospects at this age but while some go stretches in games where they are ineffective, Jason can go stretches of games where he is invisible or ineffective and that is at the root of what has caused his slide. Jason could still develop into a strong NHL player down the road but must improve his consistency. With that said however all it takes is one team to see the potential and he becomes a top 30 selection.
Pretty much where I stand on him.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
To counter: Brock posted a good interview yesterday with Dan Stewart regarding ohl draft eligibles. http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...ector.html?m=1

His take on Dickinson:
Pretty much where I stand on him.
None of that seems to be about consistency with effort, just results though. I could be wrong, and I know you watch more OHL than I do.

But when you have a dynamic, large framed forward (with room to grow) with all the tools he has offensively, and is being ranked by opposition coaches as not only one of the best draft eligible defensive forwards, but for the entire league, it has to perk you interest, doesn't it?

You might end up with a Michael Blunden, but you also might end up with a James Neal.

At worst it seems like he'll have a defensive game to fall back on.

*edit...before I even looked at Neal's draft year stats, I didn't realize their production was so similar....not to mention, I like me some late birthdays (July 4th...is late).
-----

Might have to watch a bunch of the Kitchener-Guelph series to gauge him vs our blueliners. You gonna watch it feebs?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
None of that seems to be about consistency with effort, just results though. I could be wrong, and I know you watch more OHL than I do.
I thought the quip about being invisible and ineffective for large stretches of games was indicative of his effort levels. If you put in the effort, you will be noticed in a game or over the course of several games.

Quote:
But when you have a dynamic, large framed forward (with room to grow) with all the tools he has offensively, and is being ranked by opposition coaches as not only one of the best draft eligible defensive forwards, but for the entire league, it has to perk you interest, doesn't it?

You might end up with a Michael Blunden, but you also might end up with a James Neal.

At worst it seems like he'll have a defensive game to fall back on.
Sure, its piques the interest of everyone, otherwise he wouldn't be often ranked in the first round. And as Dan said, he could still become a solid NHLer in the future with the right development. But IMO, he is a risky pick still, can blowup in the face of a scout or be his payday.

I don't see the comparison of Neal, except the numbers. Neal was touted as a power forward at the next level, same with Blunden. Nick Moutrey has nearly identical numbers to Neal's draft year as well and fits the pre-draft Neal mold just as well. I see Dickinson as a finesse player, who is not afraid to get into the dirty areas, but really does not play a physical game like those guys did, and would not get that power forward label.

Quote:
Might have to watch a bunch of the Kitchener-Guelph series to gauge him vs our blueliners. You gonna watch it feebs?
$$$ Might splurge sometime as i need some footage for McEneny! But i think i'd probably get a regular season archived game. We shall see.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:28 AM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
is there a scouting report on Curtis Lazar? is he a two way player? physical? fast? playmaker? scorer? NHL comparsion?

Old
03-23-2013, 02:41 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
is there a scouting report on Curtis Lazar? is he a two way player? physical? fast? playmaker? scorer? NHL comparsion?
Big time scorer. Pretty fast, solid two way game. Having a hard time thinking of a comparable.. Maybe Parise?

Last edited by keslerburrows: 03-23-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 03:19 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I recommend the Hockeywriter's profiles. They tend to do a fairly comprehensive job at profiling players.

Here's Lazar:

http://thehockeywriters.com/curtis-l...spect-profile/

Closed Thread