HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Empire Of Ice - The Rise and Fall of the PCHA, 1911-1926

Old
09-26-2012, 11:11 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Empire Of Ice - The Rise and Fall of the PCHA, 1911-1926

Author and SIHR member Craig Bowlsby has written the above book. I wanted the chance to purchase it myself and peruse it before recommending it to the board.

Now that I have seen it, I can tell you all that it is awesome. For me at least, the one subject of hockey history for which coverage in books has been poor, is the PCHA, and it's about time someone wrote something. And thank goodness it delivers the goods. The level of detail is impressive, and it does cover not only to the end of the PCHA (1924), but to the end of the W(C)HL (1926)

As you would expect from an SIHR member, it is incredibly well-researched and backed up. The final 72 pages of this 388-page softcover include an impressive bibliography, extensive footnotes, an impressive array of statistical tables, bios of every PCHA player, and YES.... it is indexed, so you can easily look up the player(s) you wish to research if you're not ready to read the whole thing.

I am pretty certain this is the hockey book of the year. I have 500+ myself, and 3/4 I have still not read. With a backlog like that, very few books enter my collection with a "must read next" tag attached* but this one just did. This one gets a dozen seventieslord seals of approval.

It will cost you 35 Canadian dollars including shipping. I did a simple google search and there's no site for the book, apparently, selling just by word of mouth and social networking at this time. But the author's email address is epic at intergate dot ca, and you are invited to email him for your very own copy.

You can thank me later.

* If you're wondering what other books came with that tag attached, there are two: "Deceptions and Doublecross", by Holzman and Nieforth, and "Win, Tie, Or Wrangle - The Story of the Old Ottawa Senators", by Paul Kitchen.

I am not the author, and I do not know the author. I've never had contact with him other than for the purpose of purchasing this book. I am not earning money for referrals. My post is in the interest of hockey history education.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Sounds awesome.

Looking forward to what you can pull up on Hugh Lehman and Hap Holmes for the upcoming goalie project

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:42 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Sounds awesome.

Looking forward to what you can pull up on Hugh Lehman and Hap Holmes for the upcoming goalie project
Lehman, Hugh, "Dutch", see chapter 2, page 12, to chapter16, page 274,
signs with New West minster, 12
wins 1912 PCHA cup, 25
1912 West-East series, 27
1913 West-East series, 48
becomes a Vancouver millionaire, 71
in Stanley Cup Final 1915, 79-85
in Stanley cup Final 1918, 131-137
in Stanley cup final 1921, 181-190
in Stanley cup final 1922, 202-209
in Stanley cup semis 1923, 223-228
in Stanley cup semis 1924, 237-241

...and the index entry for Holmes is even longer.

Last edited by seventieslord: 09-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

I agree it's a great book. It's clear to me that although focusing on the PCHA, the author does not deify or really even lionize the Patricks, which would be an easy thing to do when writing about this subject. It gives a very fair treatment to all, I think.

My only real complaint about it is that it sometimes becomes simply a chronicle rather than a history: that is, some of the season summaries are basically "this happened, then this happened, then this happened" which doesn't make for a very interesting read. Although it should be said that in terms of the quality of the writing, it's a massive improvement over Mr. Bowlsby's previous book about early BC hockey history (Knights of Winter).

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Looks like a great book and he lives in Vancouver, so I might track him down to save on shipping and perhaps even a chat.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:09 PM
kaiser matias

For what its worth John Chi-Kit Wong, author of Lords of the Rinks and other scholary work on hockey, is also working on a book about the PCHA. No date set out for publication, or even a proper title, but considering his previous work, his PCHA book should be a very detailed, academic look at the history of the league.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
For what its worth John Chi-Kit Wong, author of Lords of the Rinks and other scholary work on hockey, is also working on a book about the PCHA. No date set out for publication, or even a proper title, but considering his previous uwork, his PCHA book should be a very detailed, academic look at the history of the league.
Exciting!

Old
09-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

The PCHA has been done now. For Orr's sake somebody do the Boundary League already!

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Cool. I have to check that out. Curious on the info on the defencemen.

06-15-2013, 01:32 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Sounds like quite an interesting book. Love the PCHA, and the IPHL, NHA and those leagues. Does it have any info, or anecdotal tales, on some of my favorites Cully Wilson, Bernie Morris and Pete Muldoon?

It's crazy a guy like Morris is not in the HOF, but he probably would have been if not for the prison sentence

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
It's crazy a guy like Morris is not in the HOF, but he probably would have been if not for the prison sentence
Whats the story on this guy Bernie Morris anyway? I read he was arrested for Draft Dodging in the US & sentenced to 2yrs in prison (Alcatraz of all places), however, I also read the charges had been dropped. Now, he was born in Canada, Canadian citizen or did he take out US citizenship? Confusing situation, but clearly he was quite the player, and in looking at his record yes, definitely HHOF material.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:29 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Whats the story on this guy Bernie Morris anyway? I read he was arrested for Draft Dodging in the US & sentenced to 2yrs in prison (Alcatraz of all places), however, I also read the charges had been dropped. Now, he was born in Canada, Canadian citizen or did he take out US citizenship? Confusing situation, but clearly he was quite the player, and in looking at his record yes, definitely HHOF material.
He wasn't a US citizen, but he was probably listed there.

http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...5036%2C3904777

He missed the 1919 finals, the tied and cancelled influenza series against the Canadiens. Then he missed the whole 1919–20 PCHA season. Was released and appeared in the 1920 finals against the Senators where he didn't produce much, only 2 assists in 5 games, probably partially because of rustyness. The 1920 Metropolitans also didn't have Wilson, he was banned from the league by Frank Patrick for an assualt on Millionaires center|rover Mickey MacKay in the 1918–19 season.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
He wasn't a US citizen, but he was probably listed there.
Interesting & mysterious. Why on earth would the US military charge him with Draft Dodging then imprison him when he's a British subject, in fact a Canadian? Im guessing here, but assuming he took out US Citizenship, and at his then age of over 21, would he then be subject to Conscription in the United States? That doesnt seem normal. Or was it the British/Canadian Military that charged & had him imprisoned in the US?... anyway, very strange.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:54 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Interesting & mysterious. Why on earth would the US military charge him with Draft Dodging then imprison him when he's a British subject, in fact a Canadian? Im guessing here, but assuming he took out US Citizenship, and at his then age of over 21, would he then be subject to Conscription in the United States? That doesnt seem normal. Or was it the British/Canadian Military that charged & had him imprisoned in the US?... anyway, very strange.
is it perhaps the fact that he was employed with a US-based team so they thought their military had some sort of claim on him?

Old
06-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
A lot of strange things happened over this sort of stuff.

06-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
is it perhaps the fact that he was employed with a US-based team so they thought their military had some sort of claim on him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A lot of strange things happened over this sort of stuff.
Well, then President Woodrow Wilson did invoke Conscription during WW1 when volunteer roles fell short of requirements. All males between the ages of either 18 or 21 & 31 eligible unless a waiver was obtained. So assuming Morris had taken out US Citizenship as he'd been playing for US based teams by that point, then Id guess he was indeed eligible, and failed to either apply for or even seek a waiver. Got Drafted, didnt report. The US Military, not the judicial system charged him with Draft Dodging, and those charges were eventually dropped, but seemingly AFTER he'd done time. Very peculiar, but when delving into Military Law and its arcane foundings, entirely possible that he was first found guilty, jailed, and then at that point allowed to file an appeal from behind bars having been sentenced to serve 2yrs. Not beforehand in order to forestall a judgment & overturn the need for trial at all. The other odd thing is that he wasnt born in the US, recently minted citizen, though perhaps that didnt matter. Who knows. Past is a strange country, they do things differently back there.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
the edler
Inimitable

I found a piece on it.

http://sportspressnw.com/2124533/201...ssed-a-dynasty

Old
06-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Awesome find edler, and Eskenazi well done. Wonderful pictures....
and now we know about the strange case of Bernie Morris. Fascinating.