HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - The Never Ending Thread (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Orca Smash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Let's be clear about Schneider:

Dreger: "There will be offers for Schneider that will stop Gillis in his tracks" .... on team 1040

Gallagher: "You won't believe the teams who are calling about Schneider. You really wouldn't believe it".... on team 1040

Patrik Elias: "Listen. This kids a #1 goalie in the league. Obviously he's in a tough position there. I think there's gonna be 29 teams in line to get him when the time is right. He's that good" ... post game comments

Bob Mckenzie: "Vancouver Canucks are getting significant offers for Cory Schneider" ... on TSN

Gallagher: "They've been getting calls for Schneider since he was in college" on team 1040

Don't kid yourselves folks, Schneider would bring in a return that would scare some people, it'd take way more than a Huberdeau/Tarasenko etc. Luckily, I don't think he's available.
Just so I am clear are you saying it would take more then hubredeau to get schneider?

I dont know if many would agree with you if thats what your saying, if not i apologise for misreading.

Nothing in those comments other then dregers comment which i mentioned above indicates we would get any substantial return like hubreadeau would be. All they are claiming is their is many teams interested, but as far as what teams would actually give up for schneider, especially post 4 million contract signing now, is anyones guess.

And I am a huge schneider fan by the way, im just trying to look at this realistically from a non canuck fan perespective. I think some people are exaggerating what we would actually get for him on the open market especially now that he is making 4 million and has not started a season. If he has another great year, and takes on more of a workload, then I would agree he could be come extremely valuable on the market. At that point i would say alot of questions would be answered toward the naysayers who call him an excellent backup as of right now and I fully expect him to answer those questions.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 09-28-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not a fan of Hemsky at all. Would love to get Gagner and MPS though.
I'm not a big fan of taking a risk on Hemsky when we have a team like this. At his best, I'd do it but he has a lot of problems. I think he's best to stay with the budding Edmonton group. I'd probably take on Gagner and MPS not sure if I'd give Luo up for that though, as much as I do like Gagner.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
I would gauge his value at about the same as Huberdeau/Tarasenko/Kuznetsov. He's more NHL proven than any of them, and plays a more important position. They however, are younger, and are easier to fit on a roste than a goalie.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:13 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Just so I am clear are you saying it would take more then hubredeau to get schneider?

I dont know if many would agree with you if thats what your saying, if not i apologise for misreading.

Nothing in those comments other then dregers comment which i mentioned above indicates we would get any substantial return like hubreadeau would be. All they are claiming is their is many teams interested, but as far as what teams would actually give up for schneider, especially post 4 million contract signing now, is anyones guess.

And I am a huge schneider fan by the way, im just trying to look at this realistically from a non canuck fan perespective. I think some people are exaggerating what would actually get for him on the open market especially now that he is making 4 million and has not started a season. If he has another great year, and takes on more of a workload, then I would agree he could be come extremely valuable on the market. At that point i would say alot of questions would be answered toward the naysayers who call him an excellent backup as of right now and I fully expect him to answer those questions.
The 3 yr contract would be favorable to some teams (like CBJ). Teams who might have had trouble signing him if he was a RFA. Perhaps a new contract isn't favorable to other teams, though I'm not sure how. The avg cost for a goalie tandem next season is approx $5.5M. The cost of a quality goalie has increased substantially last few yrs - indicating GM's are placing more importance on the position.

Gallagher was saying that, not only are a lot of teams interested, but teams who already have legitimate starting goaltenders are calling. There'd be a biding war if he was available.

I don't mean Huberdeau specifically. But a top prospect would get you in the door, and that's it, IMO.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Scurr

Schneider is as proven as a guy can be without having the chance to start, do we really want to find out how good he can be somewhere else? The guy has the best save percentage through 68 games in the history of the league, that sounds like someone I'd like to have on my team.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schneider is as proven as a guy can be without having the chance to start, do we really want to find out how good he can be somewhere else? The guy has the best save percentage through 68 games in the history of the league, that sounds like someone I'd like to have on my team.
This is kind of what I am getting at, plus all it would take is another good season with more workload whenever we have one, and his value will double in my mind.

But i would not want to trade him at that point either.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
The 3 yr contract would be favorable to some teams (like CBJ). Teams who might have had trouble signing him if he was a RFA. Perhaps a new contract isn't favorable to other teams, though I'm not sure how. The avg cost for a goalie tandem next season is approx $5.5M. The cost of a quality goalie has increased substantially last few yrs - indicating GM's are placing more importance on the position.

Gallagher was saying that, not only are a lot of teams interested, but teams who already have legitimate starting goaltenders are calling. There'd be a biding war if he was available.

I don't mean Huberdeau specifically. But a top prospect would get you in the door, and that's it, IMO.
I agree its a good contract yet, im just pointing out these comments were before he was resigned and speculation was running wild about him becoming a RFA.

I dont mind tony, but i would not put much faith in what he says either.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends...

Unfortunately, same with the fans who either ignore or don't understand the mod warnings.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:21 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
I agree its a good contract yet, im just pointing out these comments were before he was resigned and speculation was running wild about him becoming a RFA.

How trustworthy is TG anyway? I know he was right all along with the Hodgson thing...

Old
09-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would gauge his value at about the same as Huberdeau/Tarasenko/Kuznetsov. He's more NHL proven than any of them, and plays a more important position. They however, are younger, and are easier to fit on a roste than a goalie.
Dont get me wrong, I agree with some of this, but at this point, i dont think many beyond us canucks fans would think schneider would fetch a hubredeau at this moment. I would be interested what flordia fans would say, but I dont think we will like it. That would be for another thread though.

This just my general perception of how others outside us canucks fan view schneider right now. He is going to have an uphill battle winning over lou fans here in canuck land, as well as fans from other teams who still call him unproven.

I also feel to some teams like toronto, edmontom, or flordia with upcoming goalies they would like to be mentored they might even prefer a proven number 1 with experience like roberto and he might be more valuable to them. I have already seen oiler and leafs fan claim dubnyk, and reimer have as much potential as schneider right now. I find it absurd, but Im sure they do not.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 09-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 12:31 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:

I'm not going off what us Canucks fan thinks, I'm going off McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun and local media guys who've been saying these things for well over a year. These guys are all not perfect, but presumably have some type of inside info.

You're right, the comments I posted were made before he signed a new contract. I think a new contract in most GM's eyes mean they're keeping him - hence he's off the market.

I'm not saying Huberdeau specifically - not sure if Fla was even calling about him. I'm saying it would take a top prospect to get in the door only - hence more to actually acquire him, IMO.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:44 AM
14s incisor
Go ahead, delete it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Drew Doughty is not a 2/3 D. I don't even know what sport you are watching when you think you are watching hockey.
Nice—straight to insults when someone has a different opinion. Right now he is a 2/3 D. If he regains his form from his sophomore year, and maintains it, he's a number 1.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
I'm not going off what us Canucks fan thinks, I'm going off McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun and local media guys who've been saying these things for well over a year. These guys are all not perfect, but presumably have some type of inside info.

You're right, the comments I posted were made before he signed a new contract. I think a new contract in most GM's eyes mean they're keeping him - hence he's off the market.

I'm not saying Huberdeau specifically - not sure if Fla was even calling about him. I'm saying it would take a top prospect to get in the door only - hence more to actually acquire him, IMO.

Agree with what your saying in the last sentence. But as with your first I have only ever heard dreger suggest a high return based on that comment about stopping gillis in his tracks, even that is up for interpertation. Mckenize i know stated people are very interested, im sure lebrun to, but they never gave any hint as to what teams would actually be willing to part with, this is all im trying to say, its just speculation on our part.Their is always a ton of interest in a young goalie who was incredibly cheap with potential especially when everyone expected him to be moved, but what he would actually fetch right now I think is lower return then some canucks fans think, I know the main board will bring up the halak trade, I am not saying i agree with that either, and i might be completely wrong on this, but I just dont think he will fetch us a big name asset at this moment, people still see him as someone with a ton of potential but unproven as a starter. I expect that to change when the season resumes however and cory has another good year with a bigger workload.

Anyway we are just rehashing, this thread here seems to be discussing some of what we are...corys trade value, including Huberdeau.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1195491

Last edited by Orca Smash: 09-28-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 02:59 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Nice—straight to insults when someone has a different opinion. Right now he is a 2/3 D. If he regains his form from his sophomore year, and maintains it, he's a number 1.
The guy was a force on a Stanley Cup winning team in the playoffs.

He was a force on an Olympic Gold medal winning team and played above several #1 franchise level defenseman.

He has been nominated for a Norris in 2010.

Doughty controls the pace of play when he is on the ice and shows up when it counts.

Drew Doughty is an amazing defenseman and certainly a franchise level #1 IMO. What makes you think he isn't?

Old
09-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
He has, and he is. He was a clear number 1 against us in the playoffs last year. He went 4-16-20 +11 in 20 playoff games averaging about 26-27 minutes. Would have been in Conn Smythe conversation if Quick hadn't been so clearly amazing.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:05 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let's be clear about Schneider:

Dreger: "There will be offers for Schneider that will stop Gillis in his tracks" .... on team 1040

Gallagher: "You won't believe the teams who are calling about Schneider. You really wouldn't believe it".... on team 1040

Patrik Elias: "Listen. This kids a #1 goalie in the league. Obviously he's in a tough position there. I think there's gonna be 29 teams in line to get him when the time is right. He's that good" ... post game comments

Bob Mckenzie: "Vancouver Canucks are getting significant offers for Cory Schneider" ... on TSN

Gallagher: "They've been getting calls for Schneider since he was in college" on team 1040

Don't kid yourselves folks, Schneider would bring in a return that would scare some people, it'd take way more than a Huberdeau/Tarasenko etc. Luckily, I don't think he's available.
If the Canucks really do want a cup, trading Schnieder is the way to go. Luongo is a capable starter, what if he had some offensive support? Is it going to come from the single O line Vancouver is currently sporting? Don't they get beat up in the playoffs?

Schnieder's return will be much better than Luongo's.

I think Gillis will test his pet theories indefintely! He has serious issues. Why watch him fritter it away? He has had three years in a row of solid post season chances and frittered two away by sitting on his hands at the deadline. FIRE HIM!

Let Davidson, a hockey man, judge whats best for Vancouver, not some crazy agent who relies on man crushes.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I agree with some of this, but at this point, i dont think many beyond us canucks fans would think schneider would fetch a hubredeau at this moment. I would be interested what flordia fans would say, but I dont think we will like it. That would be for another thread though.

This just my general perception of how others outside us canucks fan view schneider right now. He is going to have an uphill battle winning over lou fans here in canuck land, as well as fans from other teams who still call him unproven.

I also feel to some teams like toronto, edmontom, or flordia with upcoming goalies they would like to be mentored they might even prefer a proven number 1 with experience like roberto and he might be more valuable to them. I have already seen oiler and leafs fan claim dubnyk, and reimer have as much potential as schneider right now. I find it absurd, but Im sure they do not.
I doubt Florida would give up Huberdeau if they have Markstrom in the wings, but in general I feel he has the same value as him. If Washington's goaltending collapses, then a Schneider-Kuznetsov swap is something I would strongly consider.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:33 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I doubt Florida would give up Huberdeau if they have Markstrom in the wings, but in general I feel he has the same value as him. If Washington's goaltending collapses, then a Schneider-Kuznetsov swap is something I would strongly consider.
Knock Gillis's socks off: Schneider, Booth, Ballard for Ovechkin and Green

09-28-2012, 10:48 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Schneider's not being traded because Gillis isn't stupid.

Us losing in the first round was worth it if that's the difference between us keeping Lu and us keeping Schneider. He's the kind of guy who would have probably haunted us more than Neely if we traded him.

After many decades of mediocre goal-tending (outside of R. Brodeur, K. Mclean, and Bobby Lu), we're lucky enough to have one who could turn out to be a franchise player. Why people want to kill the golden goose is beyond me.

Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 09-28-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Edited borderline remark.
Old
09-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
What #1 defense-man is being shopped and if we acquired one, don't you think it would dismantle our forward and prospects group anyways?

Doesn't seem like a reasonable solution at this point. And I disagree with your assertion that without a true#1 you won't win a cup. We were 1 game away form winning a cup, are you telling me we had absolutely zero chance in that game?
Yes. When Hamhuis got injured in contact with Lucic, I knew the series was over. The closest player to a #1 was out.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Schneider's not being traded because Gillis isn't mentally ********.

Us losing in the first round was worth it if that's the difference between us keeping Lu and us keeping Schneider. He's the kind of guy who would have probably haunted us more than Neely if we traded him.

After many decades of mediocre goal-tending (outside of R. Brodeur, K. Mclean, and Bobby Lu), we're lucky enough to have one who could turn out to be a franchise player. Why people want to kill the golden goose is beyond me.
Ya, it's a wierd contrast in thinking between some Nucks fans and most Leaf fans. I've been arguing with fans on our board who, after missing the playoffs since Christ was in diapers, don't think Luongo is "good enough" for our team thus would only offer a past-due can of dog food for him. All the while, some of the Nucks fans are willing to trade THE BEST young goalie "prospect" (not really a prospect...) in the NHL.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
@jonasTSN1050
Not a great start for Kadri. Eakins says body fat registers among bottom 3-5 in camp. Skating tests "average".
Apparently Kadri was on the Byfuglien diet this summer.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Exactly what Gillis wants, "younger and bigger."

Old
09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Schneider's not being traded because Gillis isn't stupid.

Luongo IS a franchise player. And you want to trade someone who is one in order to keep a goalie who might become one?

Also, this teams problem is scoring. If a Luongo trade can't address that, but a Schneider trade could, then it makes sense to trade Schneider.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I thought he was working out with Roberts his past summer.

Closed Thread