HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why so little love for Patrik Elias?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2012, 06:54 PM
  #76
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
You say that like it's a good thing.
I don't think Patrik Elias is a terrible looking guy

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 06:59 PM
  #77
DarthYenik
Registered User
 
DarthYenik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
I love Elias. The last couple years I've picked him up cheap in fantasy, and he usually kills.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:02 PM
  #78
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't like Patrik Elias!
Ya, I remember him being the first player I've seen torch the Rangers in the playoffs in 2006.

7 pts in game 1 I believe, I was shocked.

Finished with 11 pts in 4games vs. the Rangers that series, a PPG that would would shatter the 220 mark over a full season.

Then I experienced hockey let-down for the first time 1:52 seconds in.



I had never been this devastated in watching hockey until it was surpassed in game 5 and game 6 against the Devils in 2012.

In other words, I can't help but respect most of the Devils players these days since I've grown up used to the Devils kicking Rangers ass with the exception of 2 years.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:06 PM
  #79
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,080
vCash: 500
Yeah I definitely respect Elias. Overall he's a good player and a solid guy, but giving him credit hurt my brain

And of course I remember the 90's and early 2000's as well and trust me he was no picnic back then either.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:10 PM
  #80
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
I like his ability to take penalties and then score shorthanded goals instead of being in the box.
For everyone confused, this is what he's talking about:



Elias scored a shorthanded goal while he should have been serving a double minor for high sticking, because Sykora convinced the refs it was actually him who took the penalty.

Backfired on the Devils though, because the Penguins got pissed and scored two more to win the game anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Ya, I remember him being the first player I've seen torch the Rangers in the playoffs in 2006.

7 pts in game 1 I believe, I was shocked.
6 points, 2 goals, 4 assists, in on every Devils goal in that game. Very impressive.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:12 PM
  #81
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
For everyone confused, this is what he's talking about:



Elias scored a shorthanded goal while he should have been serving a double minor for high sticking, because Sykora convinced the refs it was actually him who took the penalty.

Backfired on the Devils though, because the Penguins got pissed and scored two more to win the game anyway.
Oh this vid is perfect, I need this for another thread

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:19 PM
  #82
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Because he's a New Jersey Devil and never is an MVP-caliber player.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:26 PM
  #83
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
He's a coach killer if he doesn't like you. I'll tell you that much.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
  #84
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Ya, I remember him being the first player I've seen torch the Rangers in the playoffs in 2006.

7 pts in game 1 I believe, I was shocked.

Finished with 11 pts in 4games vs. the Rangers that series, a PPG that would would shatter the 220 mark over a full season.

Then I experienced hockey let-down for the first time 1:52 seconds in.



I had never been this devastated in watching hockey until it was surpassed in game 5 and game 6 against the Devils in 2012.

In other words, I can't help but respect most of the Devils players these days since I've grown up used to the Devils kicking Rangers ass with the exception of 2 years.

What a beauty at 1:55

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:47 PM
  #85
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1985-94
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He is married to a Czech supermodel, clearly something is working for him. I'm assuming that Nyquil isn't as wealthy though.
Dude stop busting on Nyquil.

Maybe he invented The nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, best-sleep-you-ever-got-with-a-cold medicine and owns an island.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
  #86
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
He's a coach killer if he doesn't like you. I'll tell you that much.
Who exactly are you referring to? Since the lockout, I can't think of any coaching changes that are on him. Nobody on the team liked Julien, and his demise was variously attributed to Gomez or Madden, I've never heard anything about Elias being behind it. Sutter unfairly stripped him of the captaincy but Elias adjusted and wasn't the reason Sutter left. Patty was cool with Lemaire, and once again, nobody liked MacLean. Not even a hint of problems with DeBoer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Dude stop busting on Nyquil.

Maybe he invented The nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, best-sleep-you-ever-got-with-a-cold medicine and owns an island.
Maybe, and if so, I could sure use some. Got a nasty cold right now.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
  #87
yankeeking
Registered User
 
yankeeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
Honest question. The guy just finished 10th in the league in scoring, while playing mostly 2nd line duty. He is one of the best defensive wingers in the game today, can play any forward position at an elite level, and has that rare ability to make the players around him better. And on top of all that, the guy is 35 years old, suffering through multiple injuries and recovering from Hepatitis A over the last few years.

I don't want to make this into a thread about other players, but when I see lists with wingers like Kessel ranked and Elias not even mentioned, I get the feeling no one watches this dude play. He's had an incredible career, with the likelihood that he'll break 1000 points if he plays 4 more years. He's got 2 cup rings and 2 other finals appearances, and has been the leader of the Devils (C or no C) since the last lockout.

I think the guy is still one of the top 10 overall wingers in the game. In terms of overall play, I'd say he fits in right around here:

Kovalchuk
Hossa
Neal
Ovechkin
Iginla

Sedin
Perry
St Louis
Elias
Benn
Parise
Gaborik
Doan
Kane
Selanne
Nash
Vanek
Eberle
Kessel

Thoughts? Is he one of the more underrated players in the game?
does this list mean you believe that kovy is the best two way player in the league? I admit that I did not read the whole thread so if this has been answered please disregard but though he may have the talent to be he sure as hell does not play a two way game , his defence during the playoffs was lacking and his effort on getting back into the play was non existant in the games I saw on TV and in person

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  #88
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
does this list mean you believe that kovy is the best two way player in the league? I admit that I did not read the whole thread so if this has been answered please disregard but though he may have the talent to be he sure as hell does not play a two way game , his defence during the playoffs was lacking and his effort on getting back into the play was non existant in the games I saw on TV and in person
He's saying Kovalchuk is one of the best overall wingers in the game, and I'd say a fair person would agree with that.

He has made great strides with his defensive play since becoming a Devil, though admittedly it can still be lacking at times by Devils standards. Still, he's come a long way since Atlanta Kovy.

Unfortunately, the Kovy you saw in the Cup Final was playing hurt, with a slipped disc in his back that had been injured since the second round. He didn't have his highest gear skating, and he couldn't get quite the same amount of power on his shot.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  #89
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
does this list mean you believe that kovy is the best two way player in the league? I admit that I did not read the whole thread so if this has been answered please disregard but though he may have the talent to be he sure as hell does not play a two way game , his defence during the playoffs was lacking and his effort on getting back into the play was non existant in the games I saw on TV and in person
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...oer_confi.html

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
  #90
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,219
vCash: 500

Wingman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 05:23 AM
  #91
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
Registered User
 
WhiskeyYourTheDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
does this list mean you believe that kovy is the best two way player in the league? I admit that I did not read the whole thread so if this has been answered please disregard but though he may have the talent to be he sure as hell does not play a two way game , his defence during the playoffs was lacking and his effort on getting back into the play was non existant in the games I saw on TV and in person
Kovy has come an incredibly long way in his two way game. I absolutely trust him out there to take care of things in his own zone. As already mentioned, Kovy was playing (very) hurt throughout the playoffs after the Panthers series. It was literally pathetic to see how slow he was at times. You could see the pain and frustration in his face. He had no acceleration and couldn't extend his legs fully to get to top speed. I wouldn't expect him to be a great backchecker with the way his spine was.

And yes, when healthy, I do think he is the best overall winger in the game right now. As a matter of fact, his second half in the 2010-2011 regular season was one of the most dominant half seasons I've seen by a winger in a long, long time, and it rivals Crosby's first half of that same seaon (though Crosby's was still better IMO). It wasn't just the points, it was the way he was almost singlehandedly pulling the Devils from the basement to near playoff contention. I've never seen a player score so many big goals in such a short time period.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:25 AM
  #92
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,551
vCash: 500

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:28 AM
  #93
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Dude stop busting on Nyquil.

Maybe he invented The nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, best-sleep-you-ever-got-with-a-cold medicine and owns an island.
Just -one- island?

Give some ****ing credit.

The other one I get is "Colin Firth". So that one works out.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:54 AM
  #94
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,921
vCash: 500
I think he just gets buried in New Jersey for whatever reason. A team that had Parise,Kovy,Brodeur etc...bound to overlook a few players. Most hockey fans realize he's a great player but I think his point totals aren't looked at closely because of the "two-way forward" label.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:12 AM
  #95
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,572
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Kovalchuk had a positive goal differential while on the ice on the PK last year. Just let that sink in for a second. Probably not sustainable, but still impressive.

Anyway, Elias is amazing.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
  #96
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
And right after he got out of the box for that, he scored a goal. Lemaire said after the game that he wasn't happy with his lack of discipline, but he totally was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I think he just gets buried in New Jersey for whatever reason. A team that had Parise,Kovy,Brodeur etc...bound to overlook a few players. Most hockey fans realize he's a great player but I think his point totals aren't looked at closely because of the "two-way forward" label.
But that's only recently that the Devils have other forwards who overshadow him. Before the lockout, he was unopposed for the title of best forward on the Devils, and was still overlooked compared to the defencemen and Brodeur.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:11 AM
  #97
None Shall Pass
Got Carter
 
None Shall Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 500
You can sum up this thread perfectly as such:

The night that Patrik Elias took the lead for all-time points by a Devil, he was only the 2nd Star of the game.

Because that was the night Marty won his 552nd game.

And Patty came out wearing a green leprechaun hat for the announcement that some fan threw on the ice.

Because it was St. Patrick's Day as well.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:35 AM
  #98
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
post yours and if I can google the image you owe me $100
dude... not married only 18 and i just turned that on the 13th

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
  #99
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov
 
Mav3rick07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
It's because he's not exciting and neither are the Devils.

Still a tremendous, underrated player though.

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
  #100
NjDevsRR
Registered User
 
NjDevsRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick07 View Post
It's because he's not exciting and neither are the Devils.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.