HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
  #326
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Draft is 7 deep if you include the russian-Newy should not be able to screw it up unless he takes a goalie .Judging by what they threw out there last night, somewhere around 5 is likely.
5th would be nice because you guarantee yourself one of the top 6 non russians even if a team below you wins the lottery.

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  #327
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
How come no one is talking about this Russian kid Nichushkin?!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108661

I was in shock to realize that after him catching my eye, I found out he's only turned 18 yesterday(3.4.). He's currently playing with Traktor in the KHL Eastern Conference Finals and the Game 7 will be played today at 11 AM ET.

He's moved in the same line with the experienced wingers Alex Popov and Vitaly Antipov but still he had the puck most of the time they are deep in the attacking zone in Game 6.

Rick Nash, Bobby Ryan or James van Riemsdyk comes to mind but still he looks like he could be a lot better in years to come..
GMJN hates anything Russian!

Sony Eriksson* is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  #328
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin
 
oconnor9sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
I really think we'll end up in the 2-5 range. We stink, and the players have no motivation to play hard. I'm dreaming of a 2nd line centered by Barkov next year.

I think 4 is most likely, with Colorado, Calgary and Florida ahead of us.

oconnor9sean is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  #329
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
I really think we'll end up in the 2-5 range. We stink, and the players have no motivation to play hard. I'm dreaming of a 2nd line centered by Barkov next year.

I think 4 is most likely, with Colorado, Calgary and Florida ahead of us.
I feel like top 3 is still very unlikely. My best guess is Colorado, Calgary, Florida, Buffalo all finish behind us with Tampa and Carolina managing to pass us up. So 5th is where I think we finish.

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
  #330
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
GMJN hates anything Russian!
The Russian avoidance factor predates GMJN. They took IV in the 1st round in 2006 and Korostin in the 3rd round in 2007 and then nothing until last year in the 7th round where they took Snitsyn. They stopped taking Russians right at the time the KHL was formed in 2008. They had a bad experience with IV threatening to bolt and were gun shy about it, did they miss out on some good players because of it? Absolutely. But they aren't the only team shy on Russians.

vofty is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
  #331
KiedisA
Registered User
 
KiedisA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Northern Marianas
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Well, Barkov is half-Russian, would Joe be afraid of that?? He injured his shoulder in the playoffs and is out for the season. But even after a great season here in Finland, many(including me) doubts he is NHL ready..


BTW Traktor scored the 1-2 goal in 59.30(Anderi Kostitsyn) and moved into the Gagarin Cup finals..

KiedisA is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  #332
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Yeah I think 4th(pre-lottery) is the highest we'll end up. I cant see Colorado, Florida, or Calgary passing us.

__________________
Chaos is always right.

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
  #333
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
Well, Barkov is half-Russian, would Joe be afraid of that?? He injured his shoulder in the playoffs and is out for the season. But even after a great season here in Finland, many(including me) doubts he is NHL ready..


BTW Traktor scored the 1-2 goal in 59.30(Anderi Kostitsyn) and moved into the Gagarin Cup finals..
I doubt the KHL has the pull for Barkov that it has for other Russians.

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  #334
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin
 
oconnor9sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yeah I think 4th(pre-lottery) is the highest we'll end up. I cant see Colorado, Florida, or Calgary passing us.
Colorado has some nice pieces, and I could see them going on a 4-5 game win streak and really helping us out.

oconnor9sean is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
  #335
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Colorado has some nice pieces, and I could see them going on a 4-5 game win streak and really helping us out.
Yeah but you have to remember, they are 7 points behind us right now. Even if they win 4 in a row and we lose 4 in a row(both very unlikely), that only puts them 1 point up. Its very unlikely they make up 7 points on us in 12 games.

Chaos is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
  #336
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yeah but you have to remember, they are 7 points behind us right now. Even if they win 4 in a row and we lose 4 in a row(both very unlikely), that only puts them 1 point up. Its very unlikely they make up 7 points on us in 12 games.
Yep and we still have Kari Lehtonen and some guys who can score

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
  #337
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 375
Nichushkin is a stud. I'd be happy if we drafted him (obviously probably not gonna happen since he's Russian).






CRSeven is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
  #338
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,895
vCash: 475
Meet the Dallas Stars pick in the 1st round.

Barkov is the guy I really want, but after that article, I'd not be surprised if this is the guy Dallas is targeting ... it's Sean Monahan btw if you don't want to click the link.

The article and video are worth checking out, and both have the buzz words that describe several of Dallas' recent draft picks.

Barkov sounds like the better offensive player, and I think Dallas needs that. Monahan sounds like an excellent players as well, and a potential top line center though. He also seems to be a complete, two-way player with a history as a leader. I can't imagine GM Joe being more excited about a guy with the exception of Seth Jones.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  #339
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan
 
Ampersand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Yep and we still have Kari Lehtonen and some guys who can score
Damn you MacDermid!

Ampersand is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
  #340
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Meet the Dallas Stars pick in the 1st round.

Barkov is the guy I really want, but after that article, I'd not be surprised if this is the guy Dallas is targeting ... it's Sean Monahan btw if you don't want to click the link.

The article and video are worth checking out, and both have the buzz words that describe several of Dallas' recent draft picks.

Barkov sounds like the better offensive player, and I think Dallas needs that. Monahan sounds like an excellent players as well, and a potential top line center though. He also seems to be a complete, two-way player with a history as a leader. I can't imagine GM Joe being more excited about a guy with the exception of Seth Jones.
Given where I expect Dallas to pick (5th or 6th) I think he and Lindholm are the two most likely to be Dallas Stars. I do prefer Lindholm as a right handed center but I suspect if they were both on the board Dallas would go with the bigger player in Monahan. Both have clear first line center potential and I think either would be the best prospect we've had in quite some time.

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
  #341
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn
 
eartotheground's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm South
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
I've seen a few names consistantly bandied about here as options, are there any estimates as to time frame for NHL readiness?

eartotheground is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
  #342
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,061
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
I've seen a few names consistantly bandied about here as options, are there any estimates as to time frame for NHL readiness?
The only two in the top 7 who likely won't be in the NHL next year are Nichushkin (he's ready, but he'll be in the KHL) and Lindholm (I think he needs a year to get stronger, but he might make the jump immediately).

Jones can step in as a top 4 now. MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Monahan as top 6 guys IMO.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:11 PM
  #343
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 500
Monahan is interesting because on the face of it he's had a dissapointing draft year, with no increase in production from his age 16/17 season. His team however went from being one of the best in the OHL to the absolute worst, and he has two times as many points as the next closest player on the team. It's really difficult to speculate how well he would have done on a more talented team.

Could be a guy that drops down a couple spots.

Alistar is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
  #344
Zrhutch
Registered User
 
Zrhutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
So here are the best scenarios I can think of for Dallas, assuming they get the 4 spot...

-Trade the 1st and all their 2nds for the top spot (Jones)
- Trade the 1st the conditional 1st and a 3rd for the second spot (MacKinnon)
-Stay put and draft Barkov
-Stay put and draft Barkov, THEN trade their seconds and lets say Faksa for like the 7th pick (Monahan).

Zrhutch is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  #345
WhoahNow
Registered User
 
WhoahNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Just trying to speculate on what the needs of the teams in the bottom 10 are in terms of their roster and prospects, maybe we could try and figure out who other teams might be leaning towards.

Colorado
Florida
Calgary
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Carolina
Dallas
Philadelphia
Pheonix
Washington

Tampa, Buffalo, Washington have all drafted Russian players with fairly high picks in recent years so I doubt they would be hesitant to draft Nichushkin.

Colorado and Philadelphia seem to need defence.

Carolina used to not draft defenceman, but took Ryan Murphy in the first round two years ago so I'm not really sure about them.

Calgary and Pheonix will probably try and get high end offensive players.

Any other thoughts on these teams? I don't have any sources on them or anything just kind of thinking out loud.

WhoahNow is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  #346
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 500
Well I guess the good thing is that a bunch of the teams behind us play in the same divisions as each other. That means some of them will be getting points every now and then.

If Dallas is really dreadful in the last month I could see them ending up picking 2nd or 3rd. Gonna be tough to catch Florida and Colorado though.

Alistar is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  #347
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,895
vCash: 475
Heika has speculated some of these assets they've acquired could be used up as tools to move up. I can't honestly recall that happening from the Stars, but I think he could be right that this is what they are gearing up for.

IMO though, the target they'd go after would be Seth Jones. I don't think they' burn assets just to move up for a forward. I think it's pretty clear they think their franchise forward is Jamie Benn. I'm stating this as their opinion ... 2 franchise centers would be amazing, but a franchise center and a franchise D would be even better. IMO, that's the way they would view it. Personally, I think acquiring a franchise center would be pretty important. In theory, that center, Eakin, and potentially one of Faksa or Shore could form the backbone of a very good team ... like let's just say Barkov-Faksa-Eakin.

Back to the Stars though ... they've been on a never-ending quest for a #1 D for years. They become available even less often than top centers. Look at a team like Florida that already has a ton of top talent. Assuming they win the lottery ... since that's all that matters with the new rule ... they have quite a bit of top end, prospect talent. I think you could convince them though to move the top pick with a rather large overpayment, especially if you have a Top 5 pick as ammunition.

As I've said previously, recent movement in the Top 10 has cost about a high 2nd for a couple of spaces. There's not a good recent example for moving the #1 pick though, but here's a stab in the dark.

IMO ... Let's say the 5th, 28th, and 35th pick are Dallas' jumping off point. Personally .... I don't think that get's it done. I think you need to be a bit more extreme to make that jump. I think that you could potentially land the #1 overall pick for the 5th overal, 28th overall/35th overall (if Boston doesn't make ECF), Boston or Vancouver's 2nd, and Dallas' 2014 first round pick.

That's a major overpayment, but I think you did it if your WHL scouts tell you Seth Jones is a true #1 D. Moving Dallas' next 1st is a major risk since it could be a lottery pick, but it could be worth the risk if you don't have to talk about finding a #1 D anymore.

Oleksiak-Jones could be an even better duo than Suter-Weber or Keith-Seabrook. Plus, as soon as next season, you'd have a 19 year old and 21 year old duo that could potentially play 15 or more seasons together. It just might be worth the huge risk involved.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:58 PM
  #348
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,061
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Heika has speculated some of these assets they've acquired could be used up as tools to move up. I can't honestly recall that happening from the Stars, but I think he could be right that this is what they are gearing up for.

IMO though, the target they'd go after would be Seth Jones. I don't think they' burn assets just to move up for a forward. I think it's pretty clear they think their franchise forward is Jamie Benn. I'm stating this as their opinion ... 2 franchise centers would be amazing, but a franchise center and a franchise D would be even better. IMO, that's the way they would view it. Personally, I think acquiring a franchise center would be pretty important. In theory, that center, Eakin, and potentially one of Faksa or Shore could form the backbone of a very good team ... like let's just say Barkov-Faksa-Eakin.

Back to the Stars though ... they've been on a never-ending quest for a #1 D for years. They become available even less often than top centers. Look at a team like Florida that already has a ton of top talent. Assuming they win the lottery ... since that's all that matters with the new rule ... they have quite a bit of top end, prospect talent. I think you could convince them though to move the top pick with a rather large overpayment, especially if you have a Top 5 pick as ammunition.

As I've said previously, recent movement in the Top 10 has cost about a high 2nd for a couple of spaces. There's not a good recent example for moving the #1 pick though, but here's a stab in the dark.

IMO ... Let's say the 5th, 28th, and 35th pick are Dallas' jumping off point. Personally .... I don't think that get's it done. I think you need to be a bit more extreme to make that jump. I think that you could potentially land the #1 overall pick for the 5th overal, 28th overall/35th overall (if Boston doesn't make ECF), Boston or Vancouver's 2nd, and Dallas' 2014 first round pick.

That's a major overpayment, but I think you did it if your WHL scouts tell you Seth Jones is a true #1 D. Moving Dallas' next 1st is a major risk since it could be a lottery pick, but it could be worth the risk if you don't have to talk about finding a #1 D anymore.

Oleksiak-Jones could be an even better duo than Suter-Weber or Keith-Seabrook. Plus, as soon as next season, you'd have a 19 year old and 21 year old duo that could potentially play 15 or more seasons together. It just might be worth the huge risk involved.
Let's not get too crazy here.

That said, you do whatever it takes to get Jones. 4th/5th, 27-30th, 34th/35th, and a prospect (either a defender or one of the wingers, whichever that team needs more). We have to really hope Florida snags the 1st overall pick, as Colorado surely won't be trading their shot at Jones.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:01 PM
  #349
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,895
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Let's not get too crazy here.

That said, you do whatever it takes to get Jones. 4th/5th, 27-30th, 34th/35th, and a prospect (either a defender or one of the wingers, whichever that team needs more). We have to really hope Florida snags the 1st overall pick, as Colorado surely won't be trading their shot at Jones.
I said "could".



Let me dream!

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:02 PM
  #350
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,061
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I said "could".



Let me dream!
Oh trust me, that thought's crossed my mind several times. Nothing would be better for this franchise than that.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.