HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'd take Gauthier.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

If we end up picking in that range, Mantha.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
I'd rather trade the pick + other picks + prospect to get in the 7-9 range. Monahan or RR
Yeah, some people were advocating trying to trade up from 5ish to 1st for Jones and I was very against that but if we are picking 12th Id want them to go pretty hard after trading up into the top 8 or so, assuming one of the top 6 could still be available.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Given the inevitability that we'll pick #11-14, who would you like to see the Stars take there?

The big organisational need is still for a high-end C. All of the following could be available
Curtis Lazar (Edmonton, WHL)
Alexander Wennberg (Djurgarden, Allsvenkan)
Max Domi (London, OHL)
Frederick Gauthier (Rimouski, QMJHL)

Any strong opinions?
Barring a trade up, my favorite guy who seems to be projected to go in that range is Pulock. I'd be disappointed in not getting a first line center, but an offensive right shot dman with a bomb of a shot would be a nice consolation prize.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Oh, Mantha or Pulock would be okay options...

Old
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I'm just just going to curl up and cry if it comes to that. Jesus this abortion of a season for that? 5 years of disappointment for that? Ugh.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
usefulfiction

Corey Pronman seems pretty high on Bo Horvat

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Bo Horvat goes really high in the 2013 draft. Has a lot of intriguing tools.
https://twitter.com/coreypronman/sta...24331880677376

At some point I thought I saw him say he would take him ahead of Lazar.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Lazar has a very good chance of dropping to the secound round. He hasn't shown up this year.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

How awesome would it be if we could snag Lazar without using our two 1st (If Bruins do make it to the ECF) in the second round.

We might not get a franchise prospect but we will get at least 2-3 very good prospects and that'll really strengthen our prospect pool!

Old
04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Any strong opinions?
The only strong opinion I have right now is I'd like to see Dallas end up with Jacob de la Rose. He could be a potential target for the Boston pick in the 1st round if that happens or he might, but it's doubtful, last to one of the 2nds.

It's really hard to guess how this 1st rounder for Dallas could go now. Seems like the 1st round has quite a few potential bigger power forwards. That's not exactly a huge need, but that's such a great piece to have. Given the choice of a smaller center or a big power forward, a Joe Nieuwendyk team IMO picks the big winger.

I like txomisc thought though .... hopefully Pouliot is truly available outside of the Top 10. Even if you have to trade up a bit, a potential big time offensive threat with a right shot on D is a big need. It would cost a 3rd or 2nd in the teens to move up usually depending on how big of a jump you're trying to make. If it costs more than a 3rd though ... I'm not as interested. I doubt the Stars would be too. 2nd round looks like there will be some nice talent available.

I get the 2nd round is a big risk, but do you really want to give up a shot at a Chiasson or Ritchie? Dallas is doing a good job with those picks..

Old
04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
BigG44

Hmmm ... I take that back. I always forget about this guy, but I could see Dallas target Frederik Gauthier with their pick. You've got the big man love (6'5" and 210 lbs). You've also got a position of need since he's a center. I can't not mention the Q issue though. It's a league they don't exactly go to a ton, but I guess you could also argue this is a unique year where there's actually quite a bit of top end Q talent.

Maybe the could pull something like Gauthier, de la Rose/Bowey, Bowey/de la Rose, and this is probably a reach but Matt Buckles with the latest 2nd. It'll be interesting to see where Buckles is slotted once the CSS is released. The most recent ratings he was pretty low. He's having a fairly equal season to Dallas' last 3 OJHL picks, and he sounds like a fantastic pick. I don't see any reason to not keeping go back to that league when they seem to find so much success.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I get the 2nd round is a big risk, but do you really want to give up a shot at a Chiasson or Ritchie? Dallas is doing a good job with those picks..
guhgree.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Hmmm ... I take that back. I always forget about this guy, but I could see Dallas target Frederik Gauthier with their pick. You've got the big man love (6'5" and 210 lbs). You've also got a position of need since he's a center. I can't not mention the Q issue though. It's a league they don't exactly go to a ton, but I guess you could also argue this is a unique year where there's actually quite a bit of top end Q talent.

Maybe the could pull something like Gauthier, de la Rose/Bowey, Bowey/de la Rose, and this is probably a reach but Matt Buckles with the latest 2nd. It'll be interesting to see where Buckles is slotted once the CSS is released. The most recent ratings he was pretty low. He's having a fairly equal season to Dallas' last 3 OJHL picks, and he sounds like a fantastic pick. I don't see any reason to not keeping go back to that league when they seem to find so much success.
I definitely side with you on them not picking in the Q, however this is going to be a banner draft year for that league. So much incredibly skilled talent is coming out of there now, and it's stupid to just stick to western Canada (I love me some WHL).

Old
04-13-2013, 12:13 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Wennberg please. He really is a top 10 player in just about every draft but this one.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:16 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Would be very happy with Bowey and either Bjorkstand (can't remember the spelling atm) or de la Rose in the late 1st/2nd.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:21 AM
BigG44

Here's some info on Bowey:

Quote:
Madison Bowey, D – Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
A highly touted defenseman when he was selected in the Western League’s bantam draft, Bowey slid down to Kelowna because some teams feared he might go NCAA. That was the Rockets’ gain as once again the B.C. squad brought in an elite blueliner to join the ranks of alumni such as Luke Schenn, Tyler Myers and Shea Weber – a player Bowey happens to look up to.

“He can really jump into the play, but he also takes care of his own end,” Bowey said.

A two-sport star growing up, Bowey also excelled in baseball. The Winnipeg native played pitcher, catcher and centerfield, even going to the national championship. But it was on the mound where he was truly most happy.

“The game relies on you,” he said. “When it comes down to it, you win or lose on pitching, so you have to stay focused out there.”

And keeping his eye on the prize has been important in hockey as well, where Bowey is ranked 33rd overall by International Scouting Services for the 2013 NHL draft. Best known for his skating, the 6-foot-1, 194-pound rearguard has posted six points through 10 games for the Rockets – and he’s only on the second power play unit. Needless to say, Kelowna is deep on the back end with New Jersey pick Damon Severson and the WHL’s fourth-leading scorer Myles Bell (who has been playing forward lately).

“It’s great playing with those guys and we’re all pretty competitive,” Bowey said. “It’s unreal playing in Kelowna.”

Bowey still wants to improve on his D-zone coverage, but with his talent and natural athleticism, he’ll be a home run for one NHL team. Draft eligible in 2013.

Last edited by BigG44: 04-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 12:43 PM
WhoahNow

Bowey would be awesome to get with the Stars second pick, either Boston 1st or in the second round. I've seen him play live a few times, and he always stands out in a good way with a creative offensive play or a big hit.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Henderson33

Mirco Mueller would be my pick if we end up getting Boston's pick. He may not make it to that spot though.

Their is so many guys you could take and they could all be considered good picks. This draft really is deep. Hopefully the Stars scouts take advantage and pick up some great prospects.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Lazar has a very good chance of dropping to the secound round. He hasn't shown up this year.
I would be extremely surprised if he dropped to the second round. Other guys who dropped into the second round after being thought of as surefire first rounders going into the season such as Mcfarland or Saad had rumblings of character issues follow them.
Lazar is not in that same boat, even at his worse he's been a late first round guy and he finished the season off strong. Topped the stacked oil kings team in goals and was 15th overall in the dub.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:16 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

If we pick in the 11-14 range players I'd like in order
Shinkaruk
Mantha
Erne
Wennberg
Domi
Pulock

If we get the 30th pick I hope we get one of these guys
Kilmchuk
Zykov
Hagg
Bowey

Old
04-15-2013, 04:34 AM
SolidusAKA

Damn, Bo Horvat has launched all the way into the top 10 on ISS. I knew people would be catching on sooner or later. I really want this guy.

Horvat and Domi would be awesome for like a 11-14 pick and a 27-30 pick. Maybe thats just my London fanboyism. These guys are awesome though.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'm wary of drafting Max Domi, only because I don't want Tie anywhere near the Stars.

04-15-2013, 09:47 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
Damn, Bo Horvat has launched all the way into the top 10 on ISS. I knew people would be catching on sooner or later. I really want this guy.

Horvat and Domi would be awesome for like a 11-14 pick and a 27-30 pick. Maybe thats just my London fanboyism. These guys are awesome though.
What is the deal with him? None of the scouting reports Ive read would seem to indicate he belongs anywhere near the top 10. Does he have enough offensive upside to go that high?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

If I can't have one of Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan give me Wennberg, Pulock, or Ristolianen.

Though I've kinda fallen in love with the idea of Monahan. If he's there at 10 or 11 I hope to god we move up. From 13 or 14 it shouldn't be that expensive for just a few spots.

Can anyone tell me about JT Compher? Anyone think he'll be there at 29 or 30, assuming we have that pick?

Last edited by Hull Fan: 04-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
English stars fan

We've had shotguns drafts of D, C and W the last few years.

What odds on drafting 8/9 goalies this summer?

Closed Thread