HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
It seems like we are seeing more of those guys who can contribute right away, but generally those are guys taken much higher than where the Stars are picking.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:24 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
And then he said "who knows?" I read it more of the idea that you could potentially find the rare guy who can step in immediately, but that's not the goal.
I read it as just a general statement. Like, "Yeah if we can make a move to improve our team we will."

Old
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Some of the intriguing storylines out of this mock:
- Stars: land an Albertan kid who cheered for them growing up and idolized Mike Modano
- Habs hope they've landed a Ryan McDonagh clone
- Leafs think they've landed a potential franchise player - many will beg to differ
- Flames a potential franchise centreman, a dynamic puck-moving d-man and a speedy sniping winger
- Oilers with a mammoth blueliner with intriguing upside
- Avs: franchise blueliner or gamebreaking forward?
- Lightning: land a guy who could help Stamkos eclipse 70 goals
- Devils with a "steal" at 9th
- Coyotes benefit from Russian factor
- Flyers think they've put Pronger and Timonen in a human blender with their selection...

Test yourself - how many of these prospects can you guess before clicking to confirm?

Link: 2013 NHL Mock Draft: The Next Ones Memorial Cup Edition

Old
05-19-2013, 09:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Some of the intriguing storylines out of this mock:
- Stars: land an Albertan kid who cheered for them growing up and idolized Mike Modano
- Habs hope they've landed a Ryan McDonagh clone
- Leafs think they've landed a potential franchise player - many will beg to differ
- Flames a potential franchise centreman, a dynamic puck-moving d-man and a speedy sniping winger
- Oilers with a mammoth blueliner with intriguing upside
- Avs: franchise blueliner or gamebreaking forward?
- Lightning: land a guy who could help Stamkos eclipse 70 goals
- Devils with a "steal" at 9th
- Coyotes benefit from Russian factor
- Flyers think they've put Pronger and Timonen in a human blender with their selection...

Test yourself - how many of these prospects can you guess before clicking to confirm?

Link: 2013 NHL Mock Draft: The Next Ones Memorial Cup Edition
Albertan = Shinkaruk?

EDIT: Yep ... but to be fair was purely guessing. Didn't know he was a Dallas fan or from Alberta. He just fit the bill for WHL player in that spot.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:35 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Shinkaruk was a Stars' fan...? Idolized Modano?

Not sure if that's a good thing. Campbell idolized Turco and we're all seeing how that's turning out.

I'd be pretty pissed if Lindholm goes at 9th.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:51 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Not sure if that's a good thing. Campbell idolized Turco and we're all seeing how that's turning out.

You would hope if Lindholm even made it to 8 GMJN would be blowing up the phones to move up.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

I think Shinkaruk would be a damn good pick but yeah if Lindholm is on the board that close to Dallas' pick itll be really gutwrenching to watch.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Seriously every mock I've seen has Lindblom going ahead of us and I just want to rage. I have no doubt Shinkaruk is a good player but good god watching Lindblom get taken by Buffalo or NJ ahead of us will be a brutal.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Who is Lindblom?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:43 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Just noticed Stamkos scoring 70 goals

Old
05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
yeah who needs a young right shot 2nd line playmaking center
Who has Ganger played with in Edmonton? Now look at Dallas' roster....see my point? If Gagner is going to produce anything of value he will have to have better supporting roles in Dallas than he had in Edmonton (Good Luck with that).

Old
05-20-2013, 10:06 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Who has Ganger played with in Edmonton? Now look at Dallas' roster....see my point? If Gagner is going to produce anything of value he will have to have better supporting roles in Dallas than he had in Edmonton (Good Luck with that).
Maybe you should watch him play instead of just attributing his success to his linemates.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Gagner's recent rise in production has nothing to do with who he plays with (and he plays behind Hopkins btw - he doesn't get full time with Eberle and/or Hall), but everything to do with how he's prepared himself in the off season. He's worked hard to improve himself and it's been showing. And frankly that's what you want in a player. He's dedicated and he also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Who is Lindblom?
dammit I always screw up his name. Lindholm. frack me.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Maybe you should watch him play instead of just attributing his success to his linemates.
I do watch him and regardless if you have some infatuation for him he is not worth moving what Edmonton would want for him. Perhaps you want Dallas to continue to move prospects, pick and other roster players for those who are avg. at best.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
usefulfiction

lets simmer down a bit on Ganger and get back to talking about how dreamy of a pick Lindholm is!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
I do watch him and regardless if you have some infatuation for him he is not worth moving what Edmonton would want for him. Perhaps you want Dallas to continue to move prospects, pick and other roster players for those who are avg. at best.
Really?

He finished 37th in league scoring this year. Woulda led us.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Troy McClure

The only reason the Stars didn't have someone finish the top 50 in scoring was that Whitney missed 1/3 of the season with injury.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
The only reason the Stars didn't have someone finish the top 50 in scoring was that Whitney missed 1/3 of the season with injury.
Of course, and Benn missed as well. But he still woulda led us with his 38 points. Over a full 82 games he's on pace for 65 ( 1 behind Benn and 9 behind Whitney) and that by no means is "average". He beat Loui in points by quite a few in the same amount of games. So what is Loui, below average?

*Context here. I'm not saying he's better than everyone on our team. I'm arguing against the comment about Gagner being "average at best".

Last edited by tjcurrie: 05-20-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Arkham32

I think we should wait and see what Gagner can do in a full season, this year was his only solid season in the NHL i'm not buying in on Gagner after 1 good year in a shortened season.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:29 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANN99 View Post
I think we should wait and see what Gagner can do in a full season, this year was his only solid season in the NHL i'm not buying in on Gagner after 1 good year in a shortened season.
I would rather jump on him while we can. He will be dealt sooner or later (probably sooner), but we need to place proper value on him. Look at him exactly how he should be looked at - a young 50 or so point center with strong character and the potential to improve. If Edmonton wants young 80 point center value in return then we walk away.

I think if proper scouting is done on him, they'll realize he hasn't fully matured yet and he does have a lot of character traits (dedication, work ethic, etc) that you want in a hockey player. That to me is the big thing. I place value on that in this trade, I don't just look at the back of his hockey card.

And personally, I'm not saying all of this based on just this past season. I've been saying it for over a year now.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
ElGuapo
Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Gagner's recent rise in production has nothing to do with who he plays with (and he plays behind Hopkins btw - he doesn't get full time with Eberle and/or Hall), but everything to do with how he's prepared himself in the off season. He's worked hard to improve himself and it's been showing. And frankly that's what you want in a player. He's dedicated and he also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.
I just can't hear mention of him without thinking about the time he checked himself into the boards because he was scared to get hit by Ott a couple years ago.

link since the embed doesn't seem to be working- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uMfCK0DIj4M

Old
05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
I just can't hear mention of him without thinking about the time he checked himself into the boards because he was scared to get hit by Ott a couple years ago.

link since the embed doesn't seem to be working- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uMfCK0DIj4M

That was classic. I had a heyday with all my oiler-fan friends with that one.

He's changed his shorts and matured since, I assure you. In all honesty though he just went to stop like a lot of guys do in that situation and lost his footing.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure

Old
05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Arkham32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I would rather jump on him while we can. He will be dealt sooner or later (probably sooner), but we need to place proper value on him. Look at him exactly how he should be looked at - a young 50 or so point center with strong character and the potential to improve.
What if that season was a fluke your ready to take that risk when we have faksa, eakin, shore and whoever we draft this year? Why Gagner why dont you just throw Tlutsy out there a young center who put up Gagner numbers only 2 years older he was even 5th in NHL for goals... you wouldn't expect those numbers to stay up would you? But Gagner's will?

Closed Thread