HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 09:44 PM
RastaRockett

vCash: 500
Why is Seth Jones such a lock for #1? I'd rather have some of these other guys.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRockett View Post
Why is Seth Jones such a lock for #1? I'd rather have some of these other guys.
Best defensive prospect since Pronger, third most talented defender to come out of the CHL since 1990 (Bryan Fogarty first, Pronger second, Jones third). People have compared him to Erik Johnson but he's absolutely better. Jones has sky high hockey sense, is an excellent skater, with significant offensive upside (20 goals 40+ assists). He's been NHL ready defensively since he was 16.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:24 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Best defensive prospect since Pronger, third most talented defender to come out of the CHL since 1990 (Bryan Fogarty first, Pronger second, Jones third). People have compared him to Erik Johnson but he's absolutely better. Jones has sky high hockey sense, is an excellent skater, with significant offensive upside (20 goals 40+ assists). He's been NHL ready defensively since he was 16.
Its great to praise the guy but nhl ready since he was 16? no friggen way

Old
05-28-2013, 10:24 PM
tjcurrie

I've said for months now I give serious consideration to Drouin if I'm picking 1st. After watching MacKinnon this Memorial Cup tourney it's a toss up between the two.

Hard to pass up a defensive prospect like Jones, but given the track record of forwards vs defensemen in the top 3 or so over the last decade + what guys like Ovechkin; Crosby; Malkin; Toews; Kane; Stamkos; Tavares; Hall; have been giving their teams, I find it hard not to take one of MacKinnon or Drouin.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Brand New Stars

I'd absolutely go forward at this point. The rate at which highly ranked defensemen don't reach their potential seems pretty high.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I'd absolutely go forward at this point. The rate at which highly ranked defensemen don't reach their potential seems pretty high.
Especially for us at this point, I look at one of the two up front. An argument can be made for us needing Jones - what team couldn't use him - but snagging a stud fwd we can slot in right now is money in the bank as far as I'm concerned.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
If we had 1st overall I would be pushing Mackinnon for sure.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Its great to praise the guy but nhl ready since he was 16? no friggen way
Positionally and size wise he was NHL ready at that age. I'm not suggesting that he'd be any better than bad because he wasn't mentally ready but physically he could have. Colorado captain Landeskog played in the SEL at 15.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hey Stars pals,

I had the good fortunate of picking for you guys in the Habs board's mock draft. I just made my last pick so I figured I'd share the results and get some feedback. I didn't really take organizational needs too much into consideration (and I see now that picking a defenseman with your first isn't a popular choice), just tried to go with what I thought was BPA. We used regular season standings to determine where we'd be picking. You can see the rest of the draft here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1434055

And here's who I wound up with. I included my little write-up so you could get a sense of where my head was at with each pick:

10. Nikita Zadorov, D (London Knights, OHL)
"We fell in love with Nikita's mobility, offensive instincts, and willingness to punish opposing players. He has great size and no qualms about throwing it around, but he can also pinch into a rush and has the footspeed to recover in time in his own end. He has a special skillset and we anticipate him wreaking havoc on our blueline for years with twin tower and fellow first rounder Jamie Oleksiak."

40. Artturi Lehkonen, F (KalPa, SM-Liiga)
"We feel that it's worth taking a chance on a player with Artturi's skill at this point in the draft. He's not the biggest forward but he doesn't shy away from contact and knows how to get to the dirty areas. We could see him as being comparable to Montreal's Brendan Gallagher in the NHL."

53. Laurent Dauphin, F (Chicoutimi Sagueneens, QMJHL)
"Laurent is a highly skilled, intense player who could be a good fit on any of our top three lines. He has a good shot, slick hands, is a strong skater and can turn it on when it counts, and we're very happy to find a player of his caliber still on the board at this point in the draft."

56. Jordan Subban, D (Belleville Bulls, OHL)
"What excites us most about Jordan are his bloodlines. Even though he may not be as highly touted as his brothers, we believe he'll have the drive to be as good or better than either of them. He has incredible puck skills and while he may not be the tallest player, he can follow in his brother P.K.'s path of bulking up and using his skating to dominate bigger forwards."

68. Nick Moutrey, F (Saginaw Spirit, OHL)
"Nick has a tantalizing mix of size and skill, and plays a strong power forward type game. His offense was solid if not spectacular all year but we feel like once he puts everything together he'll be a real dangerous player for a long time."

101. J.C. Lipon, F (Kamloops Blazers, WHL)
"We're pleased and a little surprised to find J.C. still on the board at this point in the draft. Despite being undersized and having gone undrafted last year, we felt he was the engine that drove one of the best lines in junior hockey this year. His selection to Team Canada at the World Junior's shows how highly thought of he is around the junior hockey world, and we believe he has the determination to be a solid NHLer down the road."

131. MacKenzie Weegar, D (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
"Mackenzie really turned heads this year in his first year in the CHL. He was a little buried under a great blueline but put up solid numbers, really coming on in the second half. He has a lot of smarts, moves the puck well and can work the PP with his great shot."

150. Evan Allen, F (U.S. NTDP, USHL)
"Evan may not have put up gaudy numbers this year but he's an opportunistic scorer with quick feet, good hands, and a great release. We'd like to see him get bigger and work on his two-way play, which he should be able to accomplish in the great program he's heading to at the University of Michigan."

161. Marc McNulty, D (Prince George Cougars, WHL)
"Marc is an interesting project for us. He has yet to really define his role as either a shutdown defenseman or a puck-moving, offensive guy. But standing 6'6" and skating as well as he does, we feel like there's plenty of potential to be molded into an NHL player at some point down the road. The attributes he does possess are the ones you can't teach."

182. Charlie Graham, G (Belleville Bulls, OHL)
"Charlie doesn't get all the accolades playing behind Malcolm Subban, but he has quietly put together a very solid season, posting strong numbers and an impressive 15-5-4 record. If he were a little bigger there's no doubt he would have been snapped up by now, but we're certain Charlie will be turning a lot of heads when he takes the full-time starting position, likely as early as next year."

Old
05-29-2013, 12:49 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hey Stars pals,

I had the good fortunate of picking for you guys in the Habs board's mock draft. I just made my last pick so I figured I'd share the results and get some feedback. I didn't really take organizational needs too much into consideration (and I see now that picking a defenseman with your first isn't a popular choice), just tried to go with what I thought was BPA. We used regular season standings to determine where we'd be picking. You can see the rest of the draft here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1434055

And here's who I wound up with. I included my little write-up so you could get a sense of where my head was at with each pick:

10. Nikita Zadorov, D (London Knights, OHL)
"We fell in love with Nikita's mobility, offensive instincts, and willingness to punish opposing players. He has great size and no qualms about throwing it around, but he can also pinch into a rush and has the footspeed to recover in time in his own end. He has a special skillset and we anticipate him wreaking havoc on our blueline for years with twin tower and fellow first rounder Jamie Oleksiak."

40. Artturi Lehkonen, F (KalPa, SM-Liiga)
"We feel that it's worth taking a chance on a player with Artturi's skill at this point in the draft. He's not the biggest forward but he doesn't shy away from contact and knows how to get to the dirty areas. We could see him as being comparable to Montreal's Brendan Gallagher in the NHL."

53. Laurent Dauphin, F (Chicoutimi Sagueneens, QMJHL)
"Laurent is a highly skilled, intense player who could be a good fit on any of our top three lines. He has a good shot, slick hands, is a strong skater and can turn it on when it counts, and we're very happy to find a player of his caliber still on the board at this point in the draft."

56. Jordan Subban, D (Belleville Bulls, OHL)
"What excites us most about Jordan are his bloodlines. Even though he may not be as highly touted as his brothers, we believe he'll have the drive to be as good or better than either of them. He has incredible puck skills and while he may not be the tallest player, he can follow in his brother P.K.'s path of bulking up and using his skating to dominate bigger forwards."

68. Nick Moutrey, F (Saginaw Spirit, OHL)
"Nick has a tantalizing mix of size and skill, and plays a strong power forward type game. His offense was solid if not spectacular all year but we feel like once he puts everything together he'll be a real dangerous player for a long time."

101. J.C. Lipon, F (Kamloops Blazers, WHL)
"We're pleased and a little surprised to find J.C. still on the board at this point in the draft. Despite being undersized and having gone undrafted last year, we felt he was the engine that drove one of the best lines in junior hockey this year. His selection to Team Canada at the World Junior's shows how highly thought of he is around the junior hockey world, and we believe he has the determination to be a solid NHLer down the road."

131. MacKenzie Weegar, D (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
"Mackenzie really turned heads this year in his first year in the CHL. He was a little buried under a great blueline but put up solid numbers, really coming on in the second half. He has a lot of smarts, moves the puck well and can work the PP with his great shot."

150. Evan Allen, F (U.S. NTDP, USHL)
"Evan may not have put up gaudy numbers this year but he's an opportunistic scorer with quick feet, good hands, and a great release. We'd like to see him get bigger and work on his two-way play, which he should be able to accomplish in the great program he's heading to at the University of Michigan."

161. Marc McNulty, D (Prince George Cougars, WHL)
"Marc is an interesting project for us. He has yet to really define his role as either a shutdown defenseman or a puck-moving, offensive guy. But standing 6'6" and skating as well as he does, we feel like there's plenty of potential to be molded into an NHL player at some point down the road. The attributes he does possess are the ones you can't teach."

182. Charlie Graham, G (Belleville Bulls, OHL)
"Charlie doesn't get all the accolades playing behind Malcolm Subban, but he has quietly put together a very solid season, posting strong numbers and an impressive 15-5-4 record. If he were a little bigger there's no doubt he would have been snapped up by now, but we're certain Charlie will be turning a lot of heads when he takes the full-time starting position, likely as early as next year."
Well now we have Boston's 1st

Also, I'll be VERY disappointed if we take D at 10, if Shinkaruk is gone, I'd rather reach for Wennberg at 10 or trade down. IMO we can't take D with our 1st pick.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Well now we have Boston's 1st

Also, I'll be VERY disappointed if we take D at 10, if Shinkaruk is gone, I'd rather reach for Wennberg at 10 or trade down. IMO we can't take D with our 1st pick.
Very true, wish I had that at the time we were picking, but hey, I had 10 good picks already to work with...can't complain

At #10, Shinkaruk was my only other option. Once he went at 9, I was set on Zadorov. I like Wennberg but IMO (and even if you guys already have too many D prospects) Zadorov will be the better player, so I had to pick him. In short, there weren't any other forwards I liked nearly as much as Zadorov at that spot. Although Horvat made a pretty good case for himself since I made the pick...

Old
05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I've said for months now I give serious consideration to Drouin if I'm picking 1st. After watching MacKinnon this Memorial Cup tourney it's a toss up between the two.

Hard to pass up a defensive prospect like Jones, but given the track record of forwards vs defensemen in the top 3 or so over the last decade + what guys like Ovechkin; Crosby; Malkin; Toews; Kane; Stamkos; Tavares; Hall; have been giving their teams, I find it hard not to take one of MacKinnon or Drouin.
Id find it incredibly difficult to pass up those two as well. I'd absolutely take Mackinnon 1st and then its probalby a tossup between Drouin and Jones. If I thought Drouin could play center in the NHL he'd be a no brainer at number 2 for me.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:23 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Very true, wish I had that at the time we were picking, but hey, I had 10 good picks already to work with...can't complain

At #10, Shinkaruk was my only other option. Once he went at 9, I was set on Zadorov. I like Wennberg but IMO (and even if you guys already have too many D prospects) Zadorov will be the better player, so I had to pick him. In short, there weren't any other forwards I liked nearly as much as Zadorov at that spot. Although Horvat made a pretty good case for himself since I made the pick...
Id say its definitely reasonable to call Zadorov the bpa at that point. Among the dmen id probably prefer Pulock or RR but not by a ton.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:34 PM
txomisc

McNulty is an interesting guy. It seems we are seeing more and more really tall dmen who are competent skaters in the last several drafts. I'm going to arbitrarily use 6'5 as a cut off. Dallas has two of these types in the system now, Oleksiak and Vance. This years draft has Zadorov, Morin and McNulty. Meyers in Buffalo is another example. Very tall no longer automatically means slow and awkward.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
McNulty is an interesting guy. It seems we are seeing more and more really tall dmen who are competent skaters in the last several drafts. I'm going to arbitrarily use 6'5 as a cut off. Dallas has two of these types in the system now, Oleksiak and Vance. This years draft has Zadorov, Morin and McNulty. Meyers in Buffalo is another example. Very tall no longer automatically means slow and awkward.
I think I'm higher on him than most...he's incredibly raw and, like I said in my blurb, still sort of caught between any one defined role. But in the 6th round, no one's flawless. He's a good skater for his size and moves the puck competently, I'll take a chance on a guy like that any day.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:45 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I think I'm higher on him than most...he's incredibly raw and, like I said in my blurb, still sort of caught between any one defined role. But in the 6th round, no one's flawless. He's a good skater for his size and moves the puck competently, I'll take a chance on a guy like that any day.
I'd never heard of him until you mentioned him. That is definitely the type of guy I think is worth taking a chance on in the later rounds. Sometimes it seems like teams prefer to take lower ceiling "safer" guys who they think can fill out the bottom roles as grinders in those rounds but I'd rather aim higher and have a guy fail than aim low and probably still have a guy fail.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Zadorov is a nice prospect, just not for this team. I dont think they should be spending that high of a first rounder on another left handed, primarily defensive d-man.

The rest of your picks I like though, especially aiming high with some of the later round guys.

-Vagrant
Old
05-29-2013, 05:58 PM
SolidusAKA

Say if we don't move our picks at all. Im wondering what you guys think of this

Shinkaruk or Horvat at 10
Erne at (hopefully) 27-30

Eriksson –Horvat/Shinkaruk – Chiasson
Benn - Faksa – Erne
Roussel/Burakowsky – Eakin – Ritchie
Fraser– Shore – R.Smith
MacDermid – G.Smith – Stransky

Id say that's pretty sweet depth for a future core

(Also, sorry for making these posts haha, I just like imagining our potential future cores)

EDIT: Also maybe Burakowsky at 40 to study under Loui
--------

Horvat/Shinkaruk, Erne, Burakowsky, Dano, Bjrokstrand would be an awesome first 5 picks (Might be a bit optimistic here haha)

Last edited by SolidusAKA: 05-29-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post

There's sense in this but my feeling is that it's fine to take a center first instead of a defender widely acknowledged as the best player in the draft. I can't say the same about a winger unless they are the second coming of Ovechkin.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
There's sense in this but my feeling is that it's fine to take a center first instead of a defender widely acknowledged as the best player in the draft. I can't say the same about a winger unless they are the second coming of Ovechkin.
Theoretically it makes sense to rank a winger below your the center and defenseman. Guess it just depends on how highly each are thought of by whoever's drafting and team needs as well. I do believe Drouin goes after both Jones and MacKinnon mostly for that reason though.

I've seen Drouin listed as a C and a W. I believe he can play center and the way he dishes the puck is phenomenal. He could turn our wingers in to 40 goal scorers. I've been in his camp for a few months now but I know darn well if I was the one pulling the trigger I couldn't pass up on MacKinnon since he is THE center, and for us that's the major need. That would solve a lot of problems and set us up nicely for a long time.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 05-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 08:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
The mod mock just got posted. See what you think. It's for the first 2 rounds. Unfortunately the draft order was set before Boston advanced to the ECF so we don't have the other 1st rounder. In summary I picked:

#10: Valeri Nichushkin
#40: Madison Bowey
#53: Jacob de la Rose
#56: Tristan Jarry

2 potential centers (although I would suspect de la Rose ends up at wing), a right-shot all-around athletic D and a goalie (I think we really need to be restocking our depth there -- I don't like taking them super high, but I think it's appropriate to start looking at that position toward the end of the 2nd round).

Old
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
The mod mock just got posted. See what you think. It's for the first 2 rounds. Unfortunately the draft order was set before Boston advanced to the ECF so we don't have the other 1st rounder. In summary I picked:

2 potential centers (although I would suspect de la Rose ends up at wing), a right-shot all-around athletic D and a goalie (I think we really need to be restocking our depth there -- I don't like taking them super high, but I think it's appropriate to start looking at that position toward the end of the 2nd round).
Saw that, amazing job piqued.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post

I didn't realize Nchushkin was viewed as anything other than a winger. What are the chances he actually ends up playing center?

Old
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I didn't realize Nchushkin was viewed as anything other than a winger. What are the chances he actually ends up playing center?
Wasn't I recently jumped on for suggesting Nichushkin at center...?

Old
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Wasn't I recently jumped on for suggesting Nichushkin at center...?
By me?

Closed Thread