HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
I was kinda surprised when the Burke said his name. I was thrilled! But slightly surprised.

I think him and Gardiner can make a similar pairing to Keith and Seabrook.
Salming + Turnbull

Coffey + Murphy

Old
10-17-2012, 03:37 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
I was kinda surprised when the Burke said his name. I was thrilled! But slightly surprised.

Rielly and Gardiner both have natural offensive talent that Seabrook never really had (though he had a career year in 2010-2011 where he put up 48 pts), while Seabrook is solid defensively and positionally sound, something both Rielly and Gardiner need to work on a bit.

I'm not too sure I'd want to pair these two together tbh. Would rather have someone like Finn or Percy paired with each one.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I really like Rielly as a draft pick. It's better to get a highly skilled, point-producing defenseman at the draft and defer having to pay them their market value instead of getting them through trades or free agency.

This was my gripe with the Schenn selection. Sure at the time he may have seemed like a good pick - he even played really well his first year. But that kind of steady defensive play can also be gotten from the UFA or trade market for cheap.

(but then how did visnovsky get traded for a second rounder?)
You can also get those types of players later on in the draft.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:54 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Rielly and Gardiner both have natural offensive talent that Seabrook never really had (though he had a career year in 2010-2011 where he put up 48 pts), while Seabrook is solid defensively and positionally sound, something both Rielly and Gardiner need to work on a bit.

I'm not too sure I'd want to pair these two together tbh. Would rather have someone like Finn or Percy paired with each one.
I agree with you. I just couldn't really find another comparable pairing in today's NHL and figured Keith-Seabrook was the closest thing.

Man I'm stoked about our blueline moving forward. Compliment that with competent goaltending and we're going to have a great team.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post
simply being drafted by Columbus turns you into a bum
And all these years I thought it was Toronto....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Nicklas Lindstrom wasn't known to have any exceptional ability either. I mean he put up points, but that was not what Lindstrom was known for. I'm pretty sure he was a norris winner due to his overall play (offensive and defensive), logging huge minutes and his durability, making Detroit one of the most dangerous teams of the decade mostly due to him. I'm definitely NOT comparing Ryan Murray to Lindstrom, especially not when he hasn't played a game in the league. I'm just saying there is a lot of value in overall play which apparently a lot of GMs covet and many see in Murray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Salming + Turnbull

Coffey + Murphy

But who scores 5 in a game and which one has almost 800 career points when it's all said and done?

Old
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Also, to all the "Rielly will be the best player in the draft comments," who knows, it's possible, but the early frontrunner has to be Yakupov. The kid is insanely talented, certainly has the potential to become a superstar winger.
But I've been repeatedly told that superstar wingers are worthless, unneeded, and can't be built around.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Lidstrom who was drafted in a completely different era of the NHL has averaged 57 points a season over his career. He won trophy's because he was the best defenseman in basically every category. He IMO is the second best defenseman of all time. I cannot see a comparison with Ryan Murray whatsoever. Now im not going to try and discredit what Ryan Murray brings as a player, but hes on a poor team and hasnt really made the team better. As a #1 defenseman and a #2 overal selection you would think you should have an impact on your teams overal success. As you can see, Rielly has quarterbacked the backend and has helped turn his team into a playoff contendor.
You're kinda forcing me to say this even though I like Rielly more than Murray. Rielly didn't turn his team into a playoff contender, they already were. Rielly was injured for most of last year and they still did quite well without him which says something about Rielly's team compared to Murray's. I'd say Murray's game will be exponentially better than it is right now when he starts playing with some of the skilled defenseman they have in Columbus.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Yeah. In addition, he's being coached by one of the best development coaches there is. Mike Stothers will be in the NHL coaching eventually. He was Owen Sound's coach when they had Bobby Ryan and Burke has stated it's one of the reasons Bobby is half the player he is today.

Now add in Rielly's dedication and you've got yourself a helluva player.

I've been preaching Rielly for a while before the draft and people thought I was crazy. Then after the draft I think people started coming around and others had a s***-fit when we didn't take a forward.

Rielly is going to be our franchise player. A guy you build your team around.
Don't know if anyone will believe it, but I actually cheered when we picked Rielly. I have witnesses lol. I'm so excited to see what the can do at the NHL level. He's exactly what we needed, someone to distribute the puck to our talented finishers: Lupul and Kessel.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Don't know if anyone will believe it, but I actually cheered when we picked Rielly. I have witnesses lol. I'm so excited to see what the can do at the NHL level. He's exactly what we needed, someone to distribute the puck to our talented finishers: Lupul and Kessel.
I shouted from joy and startled my mom in another room.

But part of me thought it was too good to be true. I didn't even know he was on Burke's radar.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
ermmm, im pretty sure what we really need is more talented finishers lol

Old
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
BlueMapleDawg

10th overall in Goals For
28th overall in Goals Against

We don't need finishers. We need players to prevent goals from happening. Gaining possession and making that first pass is the first battle. Rielly is our man.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
10th overall in Goals For
28th overall in Goals Against

We don't need finishers. We need players to prevent goals from happening. Gaining possession and making that first pass is the first battle. Rielly is our man.
Or if you watched the team you'd know we played a run and gun game all last season so the defensive numbers would obviously be down. Oh, and how about a goalie?

10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Or if you watched the team you'd know we played a run and gun game all last season so the defensive numbers would obviously be down. Oh, and how about a goalie?
Obviously for this team I'd take Jon Quick or Lundqvist over Karlsson or Weber. But my point stands.

BPA. Always.

Why take a lesser player because you like a different position. It just doesn't make sense.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Rielly is starting to slack, 14 points in 10 games? What next, he's going to fall back to ppg and only get 82 this year?
Quote:
Someone doesn't follow the WHL, busted
Or was he insinuating that 82 games would be in the bigs?

Old
10-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

I was very surprised as well. At the start of the draft my cousin texts me sayin the Leafs are drafting a D, based on his history I believed him. Then when the Isles passed on Forsberg, I'm thinkin no way do we pass on him...sure enough we do. If it wasn't Forsberg I was thinkin it would be Dumba, felt Burke would go for the truculence route...Rielly I thought was too similar to Gardiner for us to draft, and the knee injury couldn't be ignored either...but he did seem to display as much upside as anybody available so I was elated with the pick. I was actually worried Burke would reach for Trouba or Faksa, so taking a high skill guy was a great relief.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Kind of. The WHL probably plays 66, like the O.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
But who scores 5 in a game and which one has almost 800 career points when it's all said and done?
If Bull didn't have back problems he would be up there in points too. I was just referring to Rielly as Salming because of his puck movement and skating abilities while Gards is like Turnbull because he plays an easy, sound game.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Nazem Rielly

If Rielly were to join the Marlies after the Warrior's season is over, would that be one less year on his entry level deal?

Old
10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeLEAFInRielly View Post
If Rielly were to join the Marlies after the Warrior's season is over, would that be one less year on his entry level deal?
Who knows with the new CBA?

But by the current/past? CBA, no. You have to play something like 32 games for it to count as a year against the ELC.

The 9 games players are allowed is for the RFA status. If a player plays 10, he's eligible for UFA status a year sooner.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:05 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Someone doesn't follow the WHL, busted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Kind of. The WHL probably plays 66, like the O.
Or he was referencing Kessel

Old
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Pretty sure no. Percy/McKegg and others have done that in the past. I think they get put on some sort of temporary contract thing that doesn't count as part of the ELC.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:05 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
No, because players in those cases sign PTO's (try-out contracts that last a limited amount of days..IIRC).

10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Polk High

Quote:
Quote:
I shouted from joy and startled my mom in another room.

But part of me thought it was too good to be true. I didn't even know he was on Burke's radar.
I really had no idea who Rielly was before the draft but after watching a couple of games he really is going to be a heck of a player. I'm sure Burke and the rest of the scouting staff knew what they were doing when they picked him. It's also good to hear his current coach is going to play a large roll in his development. Good stuff all around.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:23 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk High View Post
I really had no idea who Rielly was before the draft but after watching a couple of games he really is going to be a heck of a player. I'm sure Burke and the rest of the scouting staff knew what they were doing when they picked him. It's also good to hear his current coach is going to play a large roll in his development. Good stuff all around.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ort/55015670/1

Quote:
After that, we have the big three on defense from out west: Matt Dumba, Ryan Murray and Morgan Rielly. We believe Rielly is the most purely skilled of the three with the highest upside, but it would take courage for any general manager/chief scout combo to take him in the top three since knee surgery cost him the last
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ort/54474130/1

Quote:
In general, for teams looking to bolster their blue line brigade, they might be able to find the same caliber of player down around picks No. 16 or 17 that they could find picking up at No. 5. And the real wild card here is Morgan Rielly, who hasn't put a blade on the ice since early November.

It's entirely possible that Rielly might have the most potential offensive star power in the bunch. In fact, that is our opinion at Red Line— but if you're a head scout or GM selecting in the top half dozen picks, do you have the courage to pull the trigger on that one? Tough call.

Red Line's top 10
No. Player Pos. Ht., wt. Shoots Date of birth Current Team

1 Nail Yakupov RW 6-0, 190 Left Oct. 6, 1993 Sarnia

2 Filip Forsberg LW 6-1, 181 Right Aug. 13, 1994 Leksand

3 Teuvo Teravainen C 5-11, 165 Left Sept. 11, 1994 Jokerit

4 Ryan Murray D 6-0, 191 Left Sept. 27, 1993 Everett

5 Alex Galchenyuk C 6-1, 197 Left Feb. 12, 1994 Sarnia

6 Matt Dumba D 6-0, 175 Right July 25, 1994 Red Deer

7 Mikhail Grigorenko C 6-2, 192 Left May 16, 1994 Quebec

8 Morgan Rielly D 6-0, 200 Left March 3, 1994 Moose Jaw

9 Griffin Reinhart D 6-4, 207 Left Jan. 24, 1994 Edmonton

10 Andrei Vasilevski G 6-3, 204 Left July 25, 1994 Salavat Ufa

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-18-2012, 10:08 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The leafs were the 7th worst team for shots allowed per game.

Closed Thread