HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 10:34 PM
  #426
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Excellent. Exactly. Be the Burns.

charliolemieux is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
  #427
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by delled View Post
Now I'll be the first to admit that this fan base is in dire need of positive news, and Riley and Gardiner's potential is definitely giving me that fix. Here's what I'm wondering though. Assuming both players live up to our expectations...when or which team in the NHL has had two pedigree Offensive defensemen of such calibre?

I'm inclined to think that it's a rare occurence because it's difficult for a team to afford 2 types of such defencemen. Can you imagine L.A. or Ottawa having two Doughtys or Karlsons? Or would you say Riley is on a different level than Gardiner? Thoughts? My logic would say if both these players were to reach our expectations, one of them would be dealt for a position that we're lacking ie. Centre
Kieth, Seabrook, Campbell, Big buff

It could happen

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
  #428
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread
 
JacobimMugatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: f=253
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,108
vCash: 500
Just got tickets for the Vancouver Subway Super Series game.
The WHL's defense for that game is absolutely stacked
Pulock, Ryan (Ranked 13th in latest ISS rankings for 2013)
Reinhart, Griffin (4th overall, 2012)
Murray, Ryan (2nd overall, 2012)
Rielly, Morgan (5th overall, 2012)
Dumba, Matt (7th overall, 2012)
Siemens, Duncan (11th overall, 2011)

Looking forward to seeing how Rielly stacks up against those guys/how he plays against some tough competiton.
Really hoping to see Yakupov and Grigorenko suit up for the Russians in that game.

Rielly will also be playing in the 2nd WHL/Russia game

JacobimMugatu is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
  #429
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
Just got tickets for the Vancouver Subway Super Series game.
The WHL's defense for that game is absolutely stacked
Pulock, Ryan (Ranked 13th in latest ISS rankings for 2013)
Reinhart, Griffin (4th overall, 2012)
Murray, Ryan (2nd overall, 2012)
Rielly, Morgan (5th overall, 2012)
Dumba, Matt (7th overall, 2012)
Siemens, Duncan (11th overall, 2011)

Looking forward to seeing how Rielly stacks up against those guys/how he plays against some tough competiton.
Really hoping to see Yakupov and Grigorenko suit up for the Russians in that game.

Rielly will also be playing in the 2nd WHL/Russia game
Give us a good input, Also keep an eye on Dougi Bobby Orr Hamilton.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:08 PM
  #430
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,407
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Give us a good input, Also keep an eye on Dougi Bobby Orr Hamilton.
That awkward moment where I tell LR Hamilton plays in the OHL and not WHL.

Grant is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
  #431
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by delled View Post
Now I'll be the first to admit that this fan base is in dire need of positive news, and Riley and Gardiner's potential is definitely giving me that fix. Here's what I'm wondering though. Assuming both players live up to our expectations...when or which team in the NHL has had two pedigree Offensive defensemen of such calibre?

I'm inclined to think that it's a rare occurence because it's difficult for a team to afford 2 types of such defencemen. Can you imagine L.A. or Ottawa having two Doughtys or Karlsons? Or would you say Riley is on a different level than Gardiner? Thoughts? My logic would say if both these players were to reach our expectations, one of them would be dealt for a position that we're lacking ie. Centre
Phoenix and the NYR. They may have more depth than anyone. Gormley,Rundblad,OEL and Yandle. All under 25. They may actually deem Yandle expendable soon because of price and because he may become redundant for them. That's pretty amazing when Yandle is redundant and he's only 25. The Rangers have Staal,Mcilrath,Mcdonagh,MDZ...there's nothing wrong with being very deep on the blueline and it's no coincidence that the Rangers and Coyotes were division winners last year.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:11 PM
  #432
DPyro
Registered User
 
DPyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,237
vCash: 500
I uploaded a better video of his goal the other night for anyone who wants to see.


DPyro is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:27 PM
  #433
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
I uploaded a better video of his goal the other night for anyone who wants to see.

What a beaut. Looking forward to seeing number 4 in blue and white.

ITM is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
  #434
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That awkward moment where I tell LR Hamilton plays in the OHL and not WHL.
Lol. For the OHL one bud, that's what I meant lol.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
  #435
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,029
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Lol. For the OHL one bud, that's what I meant lol.
OHL is in Sarnia I believe, he specifically said Vancouver

The Podium is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:38 PM
  #436
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
OHL is in Sarnia I believe, he specifically said Vancouver
Ah! My bad then

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
  #437
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
What a beaut. Looking forward to seeing number 4 in blue and white.
Is number 4 not retired by the Leafs? 3 and 4? or is it 2 and 3????

Cor is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:48 PM
  #438
Kirkpatrick
Registered User
 
Kirkpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Is number 4 not retired by the Leafs? 3 and 4? or is it 2 and 3????
It's #5 and #6, Barilko and Ace Bailey.

Kirkpatrick is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:49 PM
  #439
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Is number 4 not retired by the Leafs? 3 and 4? or is it 2 and 3????
We don't retire numbers remember only honour them. I think Franson was wearing number 4 for us was he not?

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:50 PM
  #440
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
It's #5 and #6, Barilko and Ace Bailey.
ah thanks, knew it was those two, forgot the numbers

Cor is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:51 PM
  #441
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
We don't retire numbers remember only honour them. I think Franson was wearing number 4 for us was he not?
We have two numbers retired, Ace Bailey and Bill Barilko (Sp?)

They both died while members of the Leafs,

Cor is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:52 PM
  #442
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
We have two numbers retired, Ace Bailey and Bill Barilko (Sp?)

They both died while members of the Leafs,
Still don't they were retired but only honored if I recall correctly.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:55 PM
  #443
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Still don't they were retired but only honored if I recall correctly.
Nope Retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...etired_numbers

Cor is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:56 PM
  #444
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
We don't retire numbers remember only honour them. I think Franson was wearing number 4 for us was he not?
He sure was.

Interesting that though the club honours numbers, there's an internal system of retirement...I think 93 and 17 will stay retired for some time to come. It's too bad those coming in don't see fit to do the same thing for 14, 21 and 27.

ITM is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:04 AM
  #445
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Oh wow. I never realized. Thanks for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
He sure was.

Interesting that though the club honours numbers, there's an internal system of retirement...I think 93 and 17 will stay retired for some time to come. It's too bad those coming in don't see fit to do the same thing for 14, 21 and 27.
I don't think there will be any players wear 13 either.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:10 AM
  #446
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Oh wow. I never realized. Thanks for it!


I don't think there will be any players wear 13 either.
Ron Ellis wore number 6 after it was retired with Ace Baileys permission.

diceman934 is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:10 AM
  #447
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Oh wow. I never realized. Thanks for it!


I don't think there will be any players wear 13 either.
If i ever became a Leaf, it would be hard as hell for me not to wear 93... It's the number I wore in minor hockey because of Gilmour.

Really I guess I would try and contact him :/ But because I love him so much, I would wear my number 19

Cor is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:11 AM
  #448
Cor
I'm Not Drunk
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Not Hurt's Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Ron Ellis wore number 6 after it was retired with Ace Baileys permission.
Bailey actually asked Ellis to wear the number

Cor is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
  #449
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Bailey actually asked Ellis to wear the number
You are corrected, Bailey was working the Clock and liked the way Ellis Played and asked him to wear his retired number 6.

diceman934 is online now  
Old
10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
  #450
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
We have two numbers retired, Ace Bailey and Bill Barilko (Sp?)

They both died while members of the Leafs,

Lol....Bailey was very much alive when he asked Ellis if he would wear his number 6. He suffered a fractured skull when he was hit from behind by none other than Eddie Shore. His Jersey was also the first Jersey to ever be retired.

diceman934 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.