HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
BlueMapleDawg

vCash: 500
Way too much skill to not be in the NHL next year.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
If I understand the rules correctly, Rielly isn't eligible to play on the Marlies until the 2014/15 season. If this is the case and the NHL remains locked out for the entire 2012/13 season, do you guys see Rielly back with the Warriors next season or with the Leafs?
He will be with Leafs. He has nothing to learn down there imo. The only thing he can practise on is positional defense. However if what others say is true (that he doesnt have to play defense in the O because it's rarely in his end), then staying down there one more year is a waste of time.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
He will be with Leafs. He has nothing to learn down there imo. The only thing he can practise on is positional defense. However if what others say is true (that he doesnt have to play defense in the O because it's rarely in his end), then staying down there one more year is a waste of time.
When I watched the Edmonton game the puck was in the Moose Jaw end the whole game

Old
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
When I watched the Edmonton game the puck was in the Moose Jaw end the whole game
Edmonton is a great team though

Old
10-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Seems like he only picked up the 1 assist, yesterday not 2 . Must've changed it .

Old
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
Edmonton is a great team though
Yeah they're pretty good but it's games like that which prove Morgan can still benefit by developing in junior. He got beat a few times in that game. I highly doubt he stays in junior past this year because his offensive skill is off the charts but they will have to shelter him and not give him the Luke Schenn treatment

Old
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
ToneBone03
Heavy Metal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Seems like he only picked up the 1 assist, yesterday not 2 . Must've changed it .
Ah, it seems as though that is the case, unfortunately. Oh well, he'll get an extra one next game!

Old
10-29-2012, 09:46 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Looking at the replay right now, can't say I agree with Point getting the secondary assist since he didn't touch the puck after Rielly passed it off to Brown (Brown got the primary assist).

Old
10-29-2012, 10:45 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Way too much skill to not be in the NHL next year.
Definitely has the talent, but I worry about both his defensive play -- although subpar defense didn't stop Jake Gardiner from being an effective player -- and how his knee will fare against bigger, more physical opponents. I'd hate to see him thrown into the bigs before he's 100% physically mature only to re-injure that knee.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Definitely has the talent, but I worry about both his defensive play -- although subpar defense didn't stop Jake Gardiner from being an effective player -- and how his knee will fare against bigger, more physical opponents. I'd hate to see him thrown into the bigs before he's 100% physically mature only to re-injure that knee.
If he's able to get through the entire WHL season without aggravating the knee, then adding on an entire offseason of recovery it's pretty safe to assume his knee is fine for the NHL.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know that if he plays in the NHL next year we could always shelter his minutes, what worries me about that though is we have some other players who could still use some sheltered minutes themselves haha. Someone like Gardiner could maybe use a little more, but we won't be pairing him with Rielly I don't think. We are likely to see Komi, Franson or Gunnar with him. Of those guys, Franson could probably use the sheltering a little as well so he may be the partner. But then again I also don't think Franson will be back. Which leaves Komi or Gunnar, Gunnar probably will be with Phaneuf again which leaves Komi. That could be alright. One of our bigger guys being on the ice with him all the time. Hoping he rebounds under Carlyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
If he's able to get through the entire WHL season without aggravating the knee, then adding on an entire offseason of recovery it's pretty safe to assume his knee is fine for the NHL.
Agreed

Old
10-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Im Old Gregggg

really think looking back we will be stunned he was at #5 and the injury was a blessing in disguise

cant remember the last time we had an elite prospect on the back end with superstar potential, wish id get to see him play more but the games I've seen he can and has controlled the entire game when the puck is on his stick

Old
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I know that if he plays in the NHL next year we could always shelter his minutes, what worries me about that though is we have some other players who could still use some sheltered minutes themselves haha. Someone like Gardiner could maybe use a little more, but we won't be pairing him with Rielly I don't think. We are likely to see Komi, Franson or Gunnar with him. Of those guys, Franson could probably use the sheltering a little as well so he may be the partner. But then again I also don't think Franson will be back. Which leaves Komi or Gunnar, Gunnar probably will be with Phaneuf again which leaves Komi. That could be alright. One of our bigger guys being on the ice with him all the time. Hoping he rebounds under Carlyle.

Agreed
if komi doesnt flourish under a coach like murray he wont be getting calls from any team when he becomes a FA again imo

Old
10-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
if komi doesnt flourish under a coach like murray he wont be getting calls from any team when he becomes a FA again imo
You mean Carlyle

But yes agreed. Komi really has to step it up this year. I have always felt bad for Komi, more then hate him like everyone else. He seems like a good guy, and seeing some interviews with him over the summer it seems like he's working his ass off.

He's a guy, that after next season, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping around if he improves his game. For the right price he would be a solid leadership guy, and a vet to have on the 3rd pairing.

Again, should he improve.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
His defensive game is still good, and people that watch him a lot (and I have even seen some people on twitter that are prospect guys or whatever) say it's getting better every game

Old
10-29-2012, 11:43 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
You mean Carlyle

But yes agreed. Komi really has to step it up this year. I have always felt bad for Komi, more then hate him like everyone else. He seems like a good guy, and seeing some interviews with him over the summer it seems like he's working his ass off.

He's a guy, that after next season, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping around if he improves his game. For the right price he would be a solid leadership guy, and a vet to have on the 3rd pairing.

Again, should he improve.
This sounds terrible to me. I tried to like him. I did. And yeah he seems like a great person off the ice, but c'mon. He'd have to take a MAJOR paycut. And even then, we have youngsters in our system who can play a better two-way than Komi.

Plus, what has he even done in his career?

Old
10-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
This sounds terrible to me. I tried to like him. I did. And yeah he seems like a great person off the ice, but c'mon. He'd have to take a MAJOR paycut. And even then, we have youngsters in our system who can play a better two-way than Komi.

He was very good in Montreal, maybe not an all-star, but he was good.

He will obviously take a paycut. He will probably have to take about 1.5-1.8 on a 1 year deal in order to come back.

Also, I find it funny that everyone says we need leadership, but also wants a team completely made up of young rookies.

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson?/Finn?/Blacker?
Komi - Gunner/Blacker/Percy

Komi at 1.65 lets say, on a 1 year deal, if he improves his game, really isn't that bad.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:

Old
10-30-2012, 12:12 AM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
cant remember the last time we had an elite prospect on the back end with superstar potential, wish id get to see him play more but the games I've seen he can and has controlled the entire game when the puck is on his stick
Wendel Clark?

Old
10-30-2012, 12:16 AM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

Quote:

He will obviously take a paycut. He will probably have to take about 1.5-1.8 on a 1 year deal in order to come back.

Also, I find it funny that everyone says we need leadership, but also wants a team completely made up of young rookies.

Rielly - Phaneuf

Komi at 1.65 lets say, on a 1 year deal, if he improves his game, really isn't that bad.
I agree with you. For one of the worser leafs this season, Komi wasn't shy about going in front of the camera and giving an interview. When Carlyle started to coach, he and Connolly were some of the players who visibly improved their play. That isn't to say I like his contract, but if he were to take a drastic paycut, then I wouldn't mind him in a bottom pairing role with one of our rookie puck-moving defensemen.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I agree with you. For one of the worser leafs this season, Komi wasn't shy about going in front of the camera and giving an interview. When Carlyle started to coach, he and Connolly were some of the players who visibly improved their play. That isn't to say I like his contract, but if he were to take a drastic paycut, then I wouldn't mind him in a bottom pairing role with one of our rookie puck-moving defensemen.
exactly. when the Leafs were on that huge slump, Komisarek was one of the only Leafs (with Reimer and maybe Liles) to give an interview after games a such. Everyone else avoided the media.

If he can keep improving under Carlyle, and he takes a paycut, I would want him as a 5th/6th guy

Old
10-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Wendel Clark?
Yep. Wendel Clark was the last elite defensive prospect we had...and you know what we did with him right!? Rielly to center Kessel!!

I think the hockey gods were finally in our favour for once.

Missed out on Pietrangelo by a pick, missed out on Brayden Schenn, OEL by 1-2 picks, finally we get an elite prospect that can make a difference on both sides of the ice.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Rielly - Phaneuf

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnar
Komi/Franson/Finn/Blacker/Holzer/Granberg/Percy

Gunnar doesn't go from 1st. pairing to 3rd. pairing for any of those players.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
It's not the routine skating around/running/training that I think poses the most danger to him, it's going up against men while he's a 19 year old kid. I just don't know if I'd be super duper sure the muscle around the knee would be strong/mature enough to hold up against NHL guys is all.

I like Rielly. I don't want him to get screwed over

Old
10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
It's not the routine skating around/running/training that I think poses the most danger to him, it's going up against men while he's a 19 year old kid. I just don't know if I'd be super duper sure the muscle around the knee would be strong/mature enough to hold up against NHL guys is all.

I like Rielly. I don't want him to get screwed over
If after 2 years of recovery, at a key developmental time where the body is able to quickly heal it can't hold up - there's a chance it never will. He's an athlete. His knee would be fine. I think many here are scared of him turning into Luke Schenn 2.0. Fact is, hes a much better player with a completely different and much more translatable skill set.

Personally, I'd like them play out the year in Juniors, get some solid time at the WJC and Subway Series then play him in a bottom pairing/partially top 4 role with the big club.

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Gunnarson - Liles
Komi - Rielly

Rielly and Liles become interchangeable to give Rielly more time if needed.

Closed Thread