HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
really think looking back we will be stunned he was at #5 and the injury was a blessing in disguise

cant remember the last time we had an elite prospect on the back end with superstar potential, wish id get to see him play more but the games I've seen he can and has controlled the entire game when the puck is on his stick
Couldn't agree more. I'm more stoked about him than I was when I first found out we got Gardiner from the Ducks. I don't usually put the word "superstar" in front of a prospect's name and although it's been a small sample size, Morgan Reilly is going to dominate one day in the NHL. His offensive instincts as a D-man are off the charts. He needs to improve on D but even that aspect of his game is a bit underrated. Give this kid some time to properly develop and make sure not to rush him and we'll reap the benefits in 2-3 years.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Alflives*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I'm more stoked about him than I was when I first found out we got Gardiner from the Ducks. I don't usually put the word "superstar" in front of a prospect's name and although it's been a small sample size, Morgan Reilly is going to dominate one day in the NHL. His offensive instincts as a D-man are off the charts. He needs to improve on D but even that aspect of his game is a bit underrated. Give this kid some time to properly develop and make sure not to rush him and we'll reap the benefits in 2-3 years.
Burke is building a really good (young) d-core. I wonder if one (or more) of those guys are trade bait for a goalie? Not Rielly though; he's an untouchable player.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
People are being too worried about Rielly in the NHL. If he can can make it next year, he should play, being worried about an injury when he was 17-18 isn't necessary, especially considering how dedicated he was during rehab and he has shown he's BETTER than he was last year before the knee injury.

Look at teams like the Oilers...their #1 picks have yet to play more than about 65 games a season (Taylor Hall has had 2 injuries because of reckless play, RNH has been injured too).

Injuries are a part of the game, it's really hard to go through an NHL career and not have any injuries. Nick Lidstrom was injury free for 99% of 20 YEARS! That's astonishing and definitely not the norm.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:19 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
If after 2 years of recovery, at a key developmental time where the body is able to quickly heal it can't hold up - there's a chance it never will. He's an athlete. His knee would be fine. I think many here are scared of him turning into Luke Schenn 2.0. Fact is, hes a much better player with a completely different and much more translatable skill set.

Personally, I'd like them play out the year in Juniors, get some solid time at the WJC and Subway Series then play him in a bottom pairing/partially top 4 role with the big club.

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Gunnarson - Liles
Komi - Rielly

Rielly and Liles become interchangeable to give Rielly more time if needed.
At this point I think we've given Komisarek enough chances. I look to unload him as a cap dump and call up Holzer who can perform the same role more effectively for a fraction of the price.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
At this point I think we've given Komisarek enough chances. I look to unload him as a cap dump and call up Holzer who can perform the same role more effectively for a fraction of the price.
I would at least give him a chance under Carlyle. A 2008/2009 version of Komisarek is exactly what this team needs.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:37 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
As poor as Komisarek has been, we need leadership on the back end. We can't simply plug all these young question marks into our lineup and expect success. Holzer may be able to provide the same level of skill, but he has never played an NHL game and can't provide the leadership required.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Edbleafs

imagine komosarek pair up with rielly in the future 1 stay home d and 1 super skill OFD
just like few years ago markov and komosarek in montreal

Old
10-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
You're definitely right about that one. Komi should just stay at home, Leafs will be better if he does.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I understood when there was objection to Rielly jumping immediately into the NHL this year.....but I don't understand why, if hockey comes back this year, that Rielly - after half a season of dominating junior this year and maybe a WJC to boot - should be sent back down.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:17 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I understood when there was objection to Rielly jumping immediately into the NHL this year.....but I don't understand why, if hockey comes back this year, that Rielly - after half a season of dominating junior this year and maybe a WJC to boot - should be sent back down.
He's only got one full season in the WHL. Yeah he was a ppg in a smaller sample last year and he's performing admirably this year, but let that continue. Kid can learn how to dominate, win and get better. His leg is probably fine but let him figure out the defensive side in junior against boys.

He's not Nik Lidstrom out there in junior so let that come.

Nobody wanted the Leafs to draft Rielly more than me, but I'm kinda thankful for the lockout in the sense he doesn't even need to worry about playing pro hockey (North American) right now. It's not an option.

At the end of the season if MJ is out, he might get his shot with the Marlies. Although who knows since we have a great blueline in the AHL. He'll get his shot because he's a young blue chipper, but the jump from junior to AHL is huge.

This year in in the WHL, a great chance at winning a World Junior Championship, and playing in meaningful all-star games like the Subway Series are great for his development.

Kid's got a good head on his shoulders and I think he's a lot more mature than a guy like Kadri, but the way we've handled Nazem isn't how I want to handle Rielly. EDIT: And by this I mean benching him for mistakes made in the NHL. Being scratched. Being sent up and down through the minors.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:18 PM
SteveV*

I think Reilly might deserve a look at the NHL too, given his play to date. If he can get into the World Juniors, why not. You should never have a hard and fast rule, let the kids play decide.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I think Reilly might deserve a look at the NHL too, given his play to date. If he can get into the World Juniors, why not. You should never have a hard and fast rule, let the kids play decide.
I have no doubt in my mind Rielly could fit right in the NHL today. He's good enough. But that doesn't mean that's the best thing for him.

I understand the way of thinking that if you're good enough, you're good enough, but I think him playing 20+ mins for a full season in the WHL is more important than playing sheltered minutes in the NHL right now. Especially because of his injury. If it wasn't for the injury I might have a different opinion. He only played 23 games of hockey last year.

This year he'll presumably play 55 for MJ, 5-8 for Team Canada, 1-2 games for the Subway series and anywhere between 4-20 for the playoffs + Memorial Cup. It's great for his conditioning. He needs that. His body is well rested but it also needs to learn to play an 82 game season. We all saw how fatigued Gardiner looked through the latter half of the season.

There are tons of reasons why he's in the WHL right now. If the season starts up next week I'll be happy to have him play 9 games to get a feel for it but ultimately I want him in Junior this year.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:30 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
I have no doubt in my mind Rielly could fit right in the NHL today. He's good enough. But that doesn't mean that's the best thing for him.

I understand the way of thinking that if you're good enough, you're good enough, but I think him playing 20+ mins for a full season in the WHL is more important than playing sheltered minutes in the NHL right now. Especially because of his injury. If it wasn't for the injury I might have a different opinion. He only played 23 games of hockey last year.

This year he'll presumably play 55 for MJ, 5-8 for Team Canada, 1-2 games for the Subway series and anywhere between 4-20 for the playoffs + Memorial Cup. It's great for his conditioning. He needs that. His body is well rested but it also needs to learn to play an 82 game season. We all saw how fatigued Gardiner looked through the latter half of the season.

There are tons of reasons why he's in the WHL right now. If the season starts up next week I'll be happy to have him play 9 games to get a feel for it but ultimately I want him in Junior this year.
Why do we assume sheltered minutes? If he was going to play 8 minutes a night then I agree, WHL is probably best. There are lots of kids who have flourished after starting right away in the NHL, so all this stuff about ruining a kid I don't get it necessarily. Depends on the kid, depends on the talent, depends on the maturity and you can come up with scores of top picks that developed just fine diving right into the deep pool. For my money, a guy like Schenn wasn't an elite pick, so people continually referencing him, it's sort of irrelevant, as I feel he was never true top four material.

Anyways, Reilly is showing that he would have went higher if not for the injury, he's getting in some time, if he lights up the World Juniors, why not consider it? Again, as Eakins always says, the players decide, so if Reilly knocks on the door, then adjust accordingly imho.

One more little point, sometimes a guy with high, high skill is better off playing with elite players, rather than slugging it out with other lead foots. Just saying, Reilly throws those darts to Kessel, look the eff out!

Old
10-30-2012, 02:36 PM
BlueMapleDawg

When I say sheltered I don't mean minimal ice time.

He wouldn't be first PP unit. He definitely wouldn't be first PK unit. He would likely be sent out for offensive zone faceoffs. But I don't think Carlyle would do it if we were down a goal in the 3rd period.

Stothers is playing him in every situation. Probably to the point where he just can't find enough minutes to give Rielly. That's excellent.

Same goes for Finn in Guelph. His coach needs him in all situations and often that means more PK and ES time rather than PP time.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Regardless if there was/is a season or not, I think it's best if Rielly stays in the WHL for this season. I don't want to see us rush him like we did with Schenn.

Let him dominate the WHL for another season and we can give him another look next season.

Also playing out West will give him a bit of a reprieve from the media spot light he would be under if he was anywhere near Toronto. Maybe he can develop in peace!

Old
10-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

I still love how excited his dad was when he got picked by the Leafs. Toronto needs guys like him who want to be here.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
As poor as Komisarek has been, we need leadership on the back end. We can't simply plug all these young question marks into our lineup and expect success. Holzer may be able to provide the same level of skill, but he has never played an NHL game and can't provide the leadership required.
Where did he lead us in the 3 seasons with the Leafs? Bottom 3rd in the NHL in the standings, [28th, 28th, 30th] in PK, [28th, 28th, 30th] in GA.. He has constantly been relegated to the 3rd pairing in his tenure as a Maple Leafs and has weighed down practically every pairing he has been a part of that I can remember; from Komisarek-Beauchemin to Komisarek-Gunnarsson.

Other than physicality, and seeming like a "nice guy" what does he actually bring to the table? He lacks footspeed and lateral mobility. Can barely handle the puck and prefers to whip the puck out of the zone like it's a grenade. He has posted what, a paltry 2G-19pts over 154 games in a Leafs sweater, takes tons of penalties and it's no coincidence his +/- is in the dumpster every season.

I just remember how bad Gunnarsson looked when he was paired with Komisarek. After the defense pairings were shaken up and Gunnarsson was paired with Phaneuf he magically broke out of his "slump" and looked 10x better. I don't want the same to happen to Rielly -- especially in his rookie season. He'll have big expectations on his shoulders and being paired with Komisarek will definitely hinder his ability to succeed rather then assist it.

Last edited by HockeyThoughts: 10-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 05:21 PM
hockeygeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
imagine komosarek pair up with rielly in the future 1 stay home d and 1 super skill OFD
That would be interesting. All body and no skill with all skill and no body. But then who would play defense

Old
10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ross View Post
I still love how excited his dad was when he got picked by the Leafs. Toronto needs guys like him who want to be here.
Like his dad?

Old
10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Like his dad?

Can he play center?

Old
10-30-2012, 09:10 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
People are being too worried about Rielly in the NHL. If he can can make it next year, he should play, being worried about an injury when he was 17-18 isn't necessary, especially considering how dedicated he was during rehab and he has shown he's BETTER than he was last year before the knee injury.

Look at teams like the Oilers...their #1 picks have yet to play more than about 65 games a season (Taylor Hall has had 2 injuries because of reckless play, RNH has been injured too).

Injuries are a part of the game, it's really hard to go through an NHL career and not have any injuries. Nick Lidstrom was injury free for 99% of 20 YEARS! That's astonishing and definitely not the norm.
Exactly. Injuries happen to everyone, regardless of how dedicated to rehab you are. I'm just being the cautious one here lol.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Give him a year in the Juniors, a full one. Let him play his WJC, and enjoy the run.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
How do you ruin an elite prospects development... ^^^^^

I want Morgan Rielly nowhere near Komi. Guy is abysmal, especially on defense. lol @ stay home d

Old
10-30-2012, 11:13 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
How do you ruin an elite prospects development... ^^^^^

I want Morgan Rielly nowhere near Komi. Guy is abysmal, especially on defense. lol @ stay home d
maybe we wants Komi to stay at home for real?

Old
10-31-2012, 07:48 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Where did he lead us in the 3 seasons with the Leafs? Bottom 3rd in the NHL in the standings, [28th, 28th, 30th] in PK, [28th, 28th, 30th] in GA.. He has constantly been relegated to the 3rd pairing in his tenure as a Maple Leafs and has weighed down practically every pairing he has been a part of that I can remember; from Komisarek-Beauchemin to Komisarek-Gunnarsson.

Other than physicality, and seeming like a "nice guy" what does he actually bring to the table? He lacks footspeed and lateral mobility. Can barely handle the puck and prefers to whip the puck out of the zone like it's a grenade. He has posted what, a paltry 2G-19pts over 154 games in a Leafs sweater, takes tons of penalties and it's no coincidence his +/- is in the dumpster every season.

I just remember how bad Gunnarsson looked when he was paired with Komisarek. After the defense pairings were shaken up and Gunnarsson was paired with Phaneuf he magically broke out of his "slump" and looked 10x better. I don't want the same to happen to Rielly -- especially in his rookie season. He'll have big expectations on his shoulders and being paired with Komisarek will definitely hinder his ability to succeed rather then assist it.
Currently, in our pool of NHL ready defenseman we have an array of young PMD. These PMD will get absolutely ruined in a physical game. We need guys like Komisarek too provide leadership and steady defending in a minimalist role. Do I think Komisarek is the best option? No. But hes the best we have. An ideal candidate would be a Hjalmalson(sp?) from Chicago.

Would you feel confident playing Boston these pairings?

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Gardiner
Reilly-Franson/Blacker/Holzer. etc.

Closed Thread