HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2012, 08:28 AM
  #551
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Currently, in our pool of NHL ready defenseman we have an array of young PMD. These PMD will get absolutely ruined in a physical game. We need guys like Komisarek too provide leadership and steady defending in a minimalist role. Do I think Komisarek is the best option? No. But hes the best we have. An ideal candidate would be a Hjalmalson(sp?) from Chicago.

Would you feel confident playing Boston these pairings?

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Gardiner
Reilly-Franson/Blacker/Holzer. etc.
We need guys LIKE Komisarek, but not him. We need someone with his size who can actually play defense.

smitty10 is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 08:30 AM
  #552
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Currently, in our pool of NHL ready defenseman we have an array of young PMD. These PMD will get absolutely ruined in a physical game. We need guys like Komisarek too provide leadership and steady defending in a minimalist role. Do I think Komisarek is the best option? No. But hes the best we have. An ideal candidate would be a Hjalmalson(sp?) from Chicago.

Would you feel confident playing Boston these pairings?

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Gardiner
Reilly-Franson/Blacker/Holzer. etc.
No I wouldn't. I've been critical all along. This group is too soft. The only way to improve this bunch is for Komi to improve and for Holzer to play big minutes. I doubt those things will happen.

Damn it Burke! Why did you have to sign Liles when we already have that kind of player! Why draft Reilly when we already have 2 or 3 of that kind of player! What's that? We drafted Matt Finn too?! :s

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 08:37 AM
  #553
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
something has got to give though. Burke is going to have to move someone.

if Liles' concussion has ruined him we are going to have a difficult time moving him (possibly the new Jeff Finger).

Our future D can't be:

Gardiner Dion
Liles Percy
Reilly Finn
Holzer

super s o f t

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
  #554
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
We need guys LIKE Komisarek, but not him. We need someone with his size who can actually play defense.
Since when could komi ever play defense (on the leafs)?

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
  #555
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
something has got to give though. Burke is going to have to move someone.

if Liles' concussion has ruined him we are going to have a difficult time moving him (possibly the new Jeff Finger).

Our future D can't be:

Gardiner Dion
Liles Percy
Reilly Finn
Holzer

super s o f t
I think it's early to declare Liles as ruined. Yeah we all know he came back last year and wasn't the same player but how do you know he'll be like this permanently? Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Also, by the time all these guys are ready for full-time roles, Liles will be gone anyway.

Holzer and Dion in the lineup definitely does not qualify as a "Soft" D group. It will be one hell of a mobile backend though, which in my opinion is a good thing in today's NHL.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
  #556
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I think it's early to declare Liles as ruined. Yeah we all know he came back last year and wasn't the same player but how do you know he'll be like this permanently? Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Also, by the time all these guys are ready for full-time roles, Liles will be gone anyway.

Holzer and Dion in the lineup definitely does not qualify as a "Soft" D group. It will be one hell of a mobile backend though, which in my opinion is a good thing in today's NHL.

i put the word "if" in there. "if" excuses me from hyperbole every time.

"Liles will be gone anyway." is more like hyperbole.

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:18 AM
  #557
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Liles got a concussion the season prior to us trading for him. He recovered from it. All concussions are not the same, but at least he has the precedent set for getting back into form.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:24 AM
  #558
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Liles got a concussion the season prior to us trading for him. He recovered from it. All concussions are not the same, but at least he has the precedent set for getting back into form.
IMO I think he came back earlier than he was suppose to and probably was a main reason he was not the same after his concussion.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
  #559
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,441
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Since when could komi ever play defense (on the leafs)?
That's what he's saying. We need someone who has Komi's size but actually has the ability to play defence.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:48 AM
  #560
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i put the word "if" in there. "if" excuses me from hyperbole every time.

"Liles will be gone anyway." is more like hyperbole.
I used to word "Like" to disassociate certainty. Isn't this fun?

Rinzler is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
  #561
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
i like Liles as a person, and i like his game. i don't mean to come down on him. i just wonder about all the PMD's we have and how BB will manage them.

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
  #562
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
something has got to give though. Burke is going to have to move someone.

if Liles' concussion has ruined him we are going to have a difficult time moving him (possibly the new Jeff Finger).

Our future D can't be:

Gardiner Dion
Liles Percy
Reilly Finn
Holzer

super s o f t

not only is that D not soft in the least, but it's pretty fricken awesome.

zeke is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
  #563
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
So-called "softness" is way overblown. Having a lot of PMD is not a problem. We would destroy Boston with that group if all met their potential.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
  #564
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
lol, apparently if you're a PMD, you're "soft"

Nazem Gretzky is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
  #565
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Currently, in our pool of NHL ready defenseman we have an array of young PMD. These PMD will get absolutely ruined in a physical game. We need guys like Komisarek too provide leadership and steady defending in a minimalist role. Do I think Komisarek is the best option? No. But hes the best we have. An ideal candidate would be a Hjalmalson(sp?) from Chicago.

Would you feel confident playing Boston these pairings?

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Gardiner
Reilly-Franson/Blacker/Holzer. etc.
Depends on the type of game that's being played. With a number of these skilled PMD on the back end, I can see Toronto dictating a fast tempo game capable of breaking down any defensive structure Boston sets up. But if Boston manages to turn the game into a hard-nosed, grinding game than there maybe problems. I'd still think Rielly and Gardiner would give the Boston defence fits off the rush, especially on the powerplay. (And when I say Boston defence, I mean Chara.)

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
  #566
Stats01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
lol, apparently if you're a PMD, you're "soft"
It's just an uneducated statement. If anyone has seen highlights of Reilly this guy is the complete opposite of soft. This guy plays way above his size.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
  #567
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
So-called "softness" is way overblown. Having a lot of PMD is not a problem. We would destroy Boston with that group if all met their potential.
Personally, destroying Boston is all that matters to me

7even is online now  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:46 PM
  #568
Happy Fan
nifty
 
Happy Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Personally, destroying Boston is all that matters to me
haha sens for me. sens must die.

Happy Fan is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
  #569
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'm starting to think Bobby Orr is Morgan's biological father...even fascially you have to admit it's possible, but the way he makes everyone look like they're standing still seals the deal for me
Careful with that though. Sens fans already laid claim to Karlsson being the next Bobby Orr.

EDDIE20* is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
  #570
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,826
vCash: 500
In My Opinion, there is nothing soft about Rielly, Finn, or Percy. Add them to Dion and I would say we have a much more tougher group mentally than the guys we have right now. They may not be tough guys by the sense of the word, but they are tough in the right ways to me. Ie. All have stuck up for teammates and all will take a hit to make a play. That's a better form of toughness to me.

Interactif is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 05:53 PM
  #571
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
In My Opinion, there is nothing soft about Rielly, Finn, or Percy. Add them to Dion and I would say we have a much more tougher group mentally than the guys we have right now. They may not be tough guys by the sense of the word, but they are tough in the right ways to me. Ie. All have stuck up for teammates and all will take a hit to make a play. That's a better form of toughness to me.
Sounds like your favourite player, Mr. Grabovski


Last edited by JMcLeaf: 10-31-2012 at 05:58 PM.
JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 06:51 PM
  #572
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
In My Opinion, there is nothing soft about Rielly, Finn, or Percy. Add them to Dion and I would say we have a much more tougher group mentally than the guys we have right now. They may not be tough guys by the sense of the word, but they are tough in the right ways to me. Ie. All have stuck up for teammates and all will take a hit to make a play. That's a better form of toughness to me.
Don't look now, but our opinions are agreeing again

7even is online now  
Old
10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
  #573
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Don't look now, but our opinions are agreeing again
Didn't you hear? Interactif doesn't speak in mere 'opinions', but in pure fact.


Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 07:44 PM
  #574
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i like Liles as a person, and i like his game. i don't mean to come down on him. i just wonder about all the PMD's we have and how BB will manage them.
It's been identified by Burke & Co. that our old defensive layout was not mobile enough. Mobility on the back end is now essential in the NHL. We've done a great job addressing that by adding guys that are very strong skaters and skilled with the puck. However, they are also defensively responsible players and their ability to get around the ice adds to this.

The absence of a pure bruiser does not concern me at all.

jmart21 is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
  #575
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
It's been identified by Burke & Co. that our old defensive layout was not mobile enough. Mobility on the back end is now essential in the NHL. We've done a great job addressing that by adding guys that are very strong skaters and skilled with the puck. However, they are also defensively responsible players and their ability to get around the ice adds to this.

The absence of a pure bruiser does not concern me at all.
I didn't think Burke signed any defensemen during the UFA season?

Who did he sign?

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.