HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Carrie Underwood

vCash: 500
Sens fan here,

Can't wait to watch Leafs Vs. Sens games and have Rielly Vs. Karlsson flying back and fourth. Then of course the Sens winning ...This lockout needs to end.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I would rather he keep progressing. If he is 2 steps ahead of everyone in junior, is he going to learn much staying there?

If he's ready he's ready. On Burke teams, that is when they make it.
The part I bolded is exactly what Ron Wilson said about Luke Schenn and he's not even a Maple Leaf anymore. So no matter what I rather see Rielly stay in the WHL and let's remember he only played 18 regular seaon games there last season. So that's one reason he needs to wait until he makes the NHL and given the chance to play for Canada at the World Juniors.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:30 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
He absolutely has that top end speed, he just didn't really put it to use last night. When he feels the need to go...well, how about I'll just show you:

Skip to 00:40 in this video. Keep in mind, this is a couple of days after coming back from his ACL injury. He made 3 guys at centre ice look like they were actually pylons.

And then skip to 3:17. The acceleration he exhibits on this play is simply unreal, and that while controlling the puck like it's on a string.
Thank you for posting that, the flick reinforces his decision making abilities, and his offensive flair. The only portion where he displayed his top speed was him blowing by 3-4 pylons who'll never make it to the NHL, though, so it's a bit deceptive. I'm more convinced that he's a very elusive player, but still not sold on his top speed (ie hustling back to defensive zone to prevent odd man rushes, or breakaways).

I have very little doubt that his IQ and elusivity will translate very well to the NHL (these alone will already make him a very good offensive defensemen), but still not sold on the top speed, if he has to go up against the faster wingers in the NHL (and not WHL pylons). It'll probably take a season or two after he cracks the Leafs lineup, and adjusts to the speed of the NHL for us to find out how fast he really is, compared to men.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Underwood View Post
Sens fan here,

Can't wait to watch Leafs Vs. Sens games and have Rielly Vs. Karlsson flying back and fourth. Then of course the Sens winning ...This lockout needs to end.
Maybe it's just me but Karlsson never seems to do too well against Toronto.

11-16-2012, 01:13 AM
ponder

Very poor game by Rielly tonight. Looked tired, didn't have his usual speed, regularly out of position defensively, and was constantly mishandling the puck and losing edges. Everyone has games like these once in awhile, but for anyone watching him for the first time tonight, know that he's normally much better.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:41 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Very poor game by Rielly tonight. Looked tired, didn't have his usual speed, regularly out of position defensively, and was constantly mishandling the puck and losing edges. Everyone has games like these once in awhile, but for anyone watching him for the first time tonight, know that he's normally much better.
i agree with this, however, he wasn't even close to the worst Defenceman for canada either.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:59 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Well at least Rielly can take some time off with his team not playing for several days. Got knocked around a bit to say the least during these past two games. Rest up and get back to doing what he does best.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:33 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well at least Rielly can take some time off with his team not playing for several days. Got knocked around a bit to say the least during these past two games. Rest up and get back to doing what he does best.
It seemed Russia was targeting Rielly and to make sure they finished there check on him, they would come from the other side of the ice to hit him.still made some amazing plays tn, but was definitly tired

Old
11-16-2012, 03:24 AM
SexyJoffreyLupul

he still pulled a double toe drag and managed to get a shot off. that was sick

Old
11-16-2012, 04:07 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Underwood View Post
Sens fan here,

Let's meet in the playoffs.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:02 AM
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
he still pulled a double toe drag and managed to get a shot off. that was sick
Maybe we have the next Michael Jackson, not the next Bobby Orr!

Old
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
It seemed Russia was targeting Rielly and to make sure they finished there check on him, they would come from the other side of the ice to hit him.still made some amazing plays tn, but was definitly tired
So how do you think Yakupov felt after 6 games of having a target painted on his back with players taking runs at him every shift? Tom Wilson did exactly what besides run at Russians? Even Steve Webb could take runs at NHL stars, but other than that not much.

A compliment to who they are.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Interactif

Morgan wasn't as good without Pulock last night. Coincidence? Maybe. Or perhaps they do compliment each other.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:54 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So how do you think Yakupov felt after 6 games of having a target painted on his back with players taking runs at him every shift? Tom Wilson did exactly what besides run at Russians? Even Steve Webb could take runs at NHL stars, but other than that not much.

This is what I was thinking. He must be a target of the Russian coaches. Maybe they saw him as the best talent for the WHL. It will be better for MR when he gets to play with more great D and way better forwards. Guys like MacKinnon, Drouin, Strome, Huberdeau and Monahan will draw a lot of attention from him.

Good luck containing him then. When he has 2-3 lines of stars to pass to.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Ruah

Not hard to Morgan Rielly(arguably the best player) when the rest of the team sucks.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
The part I bolded is exactly what Ron Wilson said about Luke Schenn and he's not even a Maple Leaf anymore. So no matter what I rather see Rielly stay in the WHL and let's remember he only played 18 regular seaon games there last season. So that's one reason he needs to wait until he makes the NHL and given the chance to play for Canada at the World Juniors.
Burke also said if he had been here at seasons start Schenn would have gone back to jr

Old
11-16-2012, 11:04 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Anton Tibaldi ‏@antontibaldi
Ok #Leafs fans, here are your 2-game Morgan Rielly highlights from the #SubwaySeries http://youtu.be/_136O96XMbc

If you like the videos, please follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

Old
11-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

If you like the videos, please follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi
Thanks, like watching this.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
BeLeafer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

Great stuff! Thanks. That double toe-drag was silly!!!

Old
11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
81Leafs50

Watching the WHL play the Russians i have a few observations:

1) Griffin Reinhart looks like he's skating in quicksand

2) Ryan Murray was invisible

3) Morgan Reilly is looking more and more like the best defenseman in the 2012 NHL draft

4) Dumba is better than Reinhart.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Dio666

Here's some of what Bob McKenzie has to say about Reilly on yesterdays Cybulski Show.

He saw Reilly play and was "Blown away". "Has a lot of Scott Niedermayer qualities". "Skates in the class of Scott Niedermayer & Paul Coffey". "Not out of the question that he could become the best of the bunch" referring to the players ahead of Reilly in the 2012 NHL Draft.

It starts at the 4 minute mark:
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=13906&id=59

Old
11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Burke also said if he had been here at seasons start Schenn would have gone back to jr
I know he said that. However Burke also said it's up to his Head Coach if a young player makes it or is sent back to his Junior team. So do you think he would have overuled Ron Wilson on that?

Now what if training camp is to start in a few weeks and Randy Carlyle says Morgan Rielly should make the team right now. Should Burke say he needs more time in the WHL or let Carlyle make that decision which he let's his Head Coaches do.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

i wasn't talking about yakupov i was talking about Rielly, and imo its more of a compliment than anything, if your targeted its for a reason.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I know he said that. However Burke also said it's up to his Head Coach if a young player makes it or is sent back to his Junior team. So do you think he would have overuled Ron Wilson on that?

Now what if training camp is to start in a few weeks and Randy Carlyle says Morgan Rielly should make the team right now. Should Burke say he needs more time in the WHL or let Carlyle make that decision which he let's his Head Coaches do.
It should be up to the head coach because he's the one getting them ready for games and coming up with strategies. I think the coach also has a say in who he doesn't want traded and who he doesn't mind getting traded. I hope Carlyle would be one who prefers young players over veterans.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
81snipe

Loving the highlights, nice job maplehawk!

Closed Thread