HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We survived?? WE SURVIVED!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 11:52 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Weirdly enough, I've been listening to this album a lot lately.
It's a classic minus the weird high pitched buzz present sometimes.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:23 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
That's my everyday attire, Chainshot. We're supposed to be doing something different on Halloween.

I've got it.

And we'll just fight, TOS style, all night.
I made reference to that yesterday when discussing who would win in a fight between an Astronaut and a Caveman.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Partner and I are thinking about going as Juggalos. Though we're anti-social and probably won't have anything to do it for.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:14 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Partner and I are thinking about going as Juggalos. Though we're anti-social and probably won't have anything to do it for.
Sounds perfect.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Sounds perfect.
Maybe I'll just sit on the couch looking angsty in bad clown makeup.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Not sure where to post but, I didn't know Norfolk and Southern RR has a college student internship program. it's been a dream since I was a kid to work for a RR company.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Halloween? I have my certification with corporate that morning and then taking my son out trick or treating so no costume for me. I wanted to go to the Shredd and Ragan party but something else came up.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

I think my best costume was going as Spike (from Buffy/Angel) one year. I dyed my hair platinum blonde and found a long womens leather trench coat at a thrift store.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
I haven't dressed up since approximately 1997.

If I were to? I'd be one of these guys. Approximately zero people would get it, but hey, I wouldn't care.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm not sure if this is awesome or

Old
10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I haven't dressed up since approximately 1997.

If I were to? I'd be one of these guys. Approximately zero people would get it, but hey, I wouldn't care.

Olli Jokinen in a fedora?

Old
10-18-2012, 07:43 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Does anybody have experience getting / having a part-time work from home tech job? I need to make some money and I'd prefer it if it were in my field so at least I'm resume building.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Clock

Quote:
Does anybody have experience getting / having a part-time work from home tech job? I need to make some money and I'd prefer it if it were in my field so at least I'm resume building.
That could be tough, BGM. Most entry level positions will want you on site.

I'd hunt around Craigslist and maybe think about looking at remote internships and the like.

If I'm you, I'm brushing up all of my different technologies and maybe going for some certifications.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
That could be tough, BGM. Most entry level positions will want you on site.

I'd hunt around Craigslist and maybe think about looking at remote internships and the like.

If I'm you, I'm brushing up all of my different technologies and maybe going for some certifications.
I was thinking Craigslist. I can't afford to do anything with certs right now. We're losing like 2k a month and I'm trying to slow the bleeding asap.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Clock

Quote:
I was thinking Craigslist. I can't afford to do anything with certs right now. We're losing like 2k a month and I'm trying to slow the bleeding asap.
I hear ya. But if you're pushing for a position where having something like a CCNA will really help you, it could be one of those spend-money-to-make-money things. Just a thought.

Also, even if you can't spend the money on taking the actual test, maybe there's something where you can get going on the studying for free and spring for the test down the road.

The name of the game is making yourself marketable. I don't want to make you think it's impossible, but finding an entry-ish level work from home gig is going to be a tall order.

Another thought: Contribute to an open source project. It won't pay, but it's experience you can put on a resume.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

People can be quite funny.

I unfollowed pretty much everyone I know personally on Twitter because I wanted my feed to be more things I was interested in, and less people making plans or randomly blabbering about things.

Some people I know are actually MAD at me about this. This is weird.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Hell, I'm mad at you.

Whoa, 18k. Yaaaaay.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:27 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
I hear ya. But if you're pushing for a position where having something like a CCNA will really help you, it could be one of those spend-money-to-make-money things. Just a thought.

Also, even if you can't spend the money on taking the actual test, maybe there's something where you can get going on the studying for free and spring for the test down the road.

The name of the game is making yourself marketable. I don't want to make you think it's impossible, but finding an entry-ish level work from home gig is going to be a tall order.

Another thought: Contribute to an open source project. It won't pay, but it's experience you can put on a resume.
That's true. One of my old co-workers was studying to get a Cisco cert during slow times at work. I have a variety of study materials kicking around somewhere. I've been wanting to start focusing on another one, but our bank account slippage is overwhelming me right now. Thinking about it constantly. I actually woke up twice last night thinking about it. Not good.

Right now I'm working on learning Adobe Acro Pro for work [compiling jpgs into compressed PDFs to save on server storage], writing a children's story that I may self-publish if it goes well, and listening to Orbital's "Wonky".

Old
10-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Clock

Quote:
That's true. One of my old co-workers was studying to get a Cisco cert during slow times at work. I have a variety of study materials kicking around somewhere.
Lemme guess, CCNA. That's a good one to have. I've thought about going for it just to have it. Always good to round oneself out.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Lemme guess, CCNA. That's a good one to have. I've thought about going for it just to have it. Always good to round oneself out.
As far as I remember, yep. I'm not really interested in networking, but it's a good thing to know.

While I'm thinking about the story, is anyone here artistically gifted? I have a few things that I've been wanting illustrations for but everyone who says they'll do it ends up backing out for some reason. One story I've had for 12 years.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:37 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
People can be quite funny.

I unfollowed pretty much everyone I know personally on Twitter because I wanted my feed to be more things I was interested in, and less people making plans or randomly blabbering about things.

Randy: Hey Stan, I was on my computer at work and saw that you have a Facebook page now?
Stan: Yeah, Dad, I was kinda forced to.
Randy: Well sooo... are you gonna add me as a friend?
Stan: [looks over his shoulder] No- Dad, I I really don't wanna get more into it.
Randy: ...Oh okay. [walks away, but returns a few seconds later] So I'm, m not your friend then?
Stan: ...Dad, you are my friend.
Randy: ...But you just don't wanna, add me, as a friend?
Stan: Dad it's just a stupid click of a button, it takes two seconds!
Randy: Right, but you don't have... the two seconds orrr?
Stan: I just wanna do my homework!
Randy: Alright, fine. [walks away again. Stan puts his face in his left palm, then gets back to homework. Randy returns...] Just to be clear, you and I are not... friends?
Stan: Alright, Dad, I'll add you!
Randy: Oh cool! Okay. [walks away]

Old
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
HP Storage ASE is going to get really important in another month or so.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
You can go even lower if you want.

They created CCENT a couple years ago, which is basically the first half of the CCNA program. Not that difficult, and a good place to start if you really know nothing about networking at all. There's design track stuff too, but that's mostly for sales guys, although I know some engineers would couldn't design their way out of a paper bag.

The only real downside to Cisco stuff is dropping $150 every time you take a test. The upside is if you keep going, you'll renew lower certs every time you take (and pass) a test for a higher one.

I worked up to CCNP and let it lapse, so I'm starting from scratch again. Failboat.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Honestly BGM, remote part time IT jobs are going to be pretty awful unless you know someone.

They are alot of the 1-800 tech support numbers you see on TV, you are paid by the call not by the hour and you'll likely not make decent money. If you really want a decent by the hour part time IT job, you will probably have to find a ISP or hosting company that needs to have 24 coverage and can't find people. I'd actually figure out what tech companies in your area would need 24 hour coverage and calling around. My guess is alot of places aren't comfortable giving a total stranger keys to their clients support, but if they can meet you and train you in person, they may be willing to let you work remote.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Honestly BGM, remote part time IT jobs are going to be pretty awful unless you know someone.

They are alot of the 1-800 tech support numbers you see on TV, you are paid by the call not by the hour and you'll likely not make decent money. If you really want a decent by the hour part time IT job, you will probably have to find a ISP or hosting company that needs to have 24 coverage and can't find people. I'd actually figure out what tech companies in your area would need 24 hour coverage and calling around. My guess is alot of places aren't comfortable giving a total stranger keys to their clients support, but if they can meet you and train you in person, they may be willing to let you work remote.
That's pretty much what I figured. Hoping it wasn't the case, but what I figured.

Closed Thread