HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We survived?? WE SURVIVED!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Old Navy Goat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Na, this was a computer class project when I was a freshman in high school. Wasn't in depth.

Maybe poverty should be encouraged if people are happiest in these third world countries. I suppose if you're so poor that you don't know what you're missing, life would be pretty easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Maybe if they're not driven to unsatisfying rampant consumerism, they don't know what is considered poor.
I think its perfectly displayed by the bargirls in Thailand. They come from dirt poor families in Issan or Burinam and are drawn to the bright lights of Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc. The young ladies arrive honest with sweet dispositions but you can literally see them change within a few months; becoming hardcore, tatooed and running around sporting the latest mobile phones, purses/clothes that they would never have considered or thought of wearing back in their village.

I've visited / spent nights in some of their villages and have slept on the floor in a common room with mosquito netting, used the unattached hongnam (bathroom) with slot toilet, shower that you fill with a bucket etc. The people are happy with few to no luxuries; the appreciation / sheer joy displayed when I bought a refrigerator (little more than a dorm room sized one) for a family is a memory that will always stick with me.

The people live simple, fulfilling though hard lives and for the most part are satisfied with a roof over their head, enough food to feed the family, electricity, fresh water etc. The amusing part is generally the only one that isn't happy there is the little primadonna that spends her time shaking her money maker, and partying with her friends daily.

The non-stop barrage of advertising brainwashing you into believing that you can't be happy if you don't have a product x, y and z is to blame.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Old Navy Goat

Met face to face with Bentley today, first time in months, to discuss some financial planning / investments etc. Guess I've been out of the game for too long with 'normal' girls as Bentley told me that she'd castrate me if I asked her receptionist for her number. I was perplexed until she explained that the receptionist was flirting with me.

Why can't normal women be like strippers, just come over, plop in your lap and obviously flirt with you vice being subtle; leaning forward 'acting engrossed in your conversation', playing with their hair etc?

Old
10-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Why can't normal women be like strippers,
That's why they're "normal". Because they're not strippers.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
My dissertation defense was way worse. They basically tore apart the project I had devoted the last 3 years of my life to and reduced me to an empty shell of a man. Then they sent me out of the room for 10 minutes then came back and said "Hey, you passed! Nice job, doctor." Surreal.
That's precisely what happened during mine as well. The worst part about it was when I answered one question by stating some theory that my advisor had told me word-for-word about a month prior. After my response to that question, he looked at me and said "There is no such thing as the theory you just stated, where on earth did you come up with such an idea??".

I looked at him mouth completely agape, sure I would fail the defense.

10 minutes after being asked to leave the room, they're all shaking my hand calling me doctor.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:38 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

My girlfriend has her PhD, and two other close friends. All 3 have said the same thing about their defenses.

Not my wheelhouse at all, but I think feeling like you blew it might be the point of it.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
My buddy did some networking over the weekend it it looks like we may have some unexpected revenue coming in before the end of the year. A big amount.

Talked to some other places doing some of the same stuff we are, and are interesting in buying the software we wrote to stream line some of the processes. They currently pay people full-time to do this stuff manually that our software does for you.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
10 minutes after being asked to leave the room, they're all shaking my hand calling me doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
My buddy did some networking over the weekend it it looks like we may have some unexpected revenue coming in before the end of the year. A big amount.

Talked to some other places doing some of the same stuff we are, and are interesting in buying the software we wrote to stream line some of the processes. They currently pay people full-time to do this stuff manually that our software does for you.
Very cool for you guys, but sucky for the full-timers. One of those things, I guess.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Clock

Quote:

I'll do part-time .NET stuff for you should you have a need, boss.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Glad to see someone else knows about this little gem in central NY.

My wife and I take my dog there once a year during the summer and we walk the creek bed back to the falls. An excellent warm day activity.
Love that area and hiking that creek. We go camping each year and stay at Buttermilk Falls. We go with about 6 other familes to a really cool four day music festival in Trumansburg. Stayed at Taughanack Falls once for the festival, but (1) the park patrons are well lit up music fesitval goers ; (2) is more crowded and (3) these little worms were raining from the trees at night (literally sounded lke rain). They were gone int eh morning. When we pulled our tarp up from under our tent at the end of camping, there they were, thousands of them.

Buttermilk has a nice hike up and a beautiful reservoir at the top that not many people seem to know about.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post

Very cool for you guys, but sucky for the full-timers. One of those things, I guess.
Oh trust me, there is not a chance in the world those people can get an ounce of enjoyment out of it. An extremely tedious and soul sucking task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'll do part-time .NET stuff for you should you have a need, boss.
Learn Perl, PHP, Python, Javascript or anything else non .NET

Old
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
I know how to cook and I'm fun in social situations.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Had a recruiter call me asking to submit my resume for a position that calls for roughly double the experience in a field that's only somewhat related. Well okay...here you go.

To be fair at my last job I was promoted to a position that called for 3-5 years experience after I'd been there just five months. So...maybe it'll be alright.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Clock

Quote:
Kinda got it, had it but lost it, don't got it, got it.

This reminds me that I want to load up an Eclipse environment and learn some Hibernate and Grails.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Had a recruiter call me asking to submit my resume for a position that calls for roughly double the experience in a field that's only somewhat related. Well okay...here you go.

To be fair at my last job I was promoted to a position that called for 3-5 years experience after I'd been there just five months. So...maybe it'll be alright.
In my experience, (no pun intended) job positions with experience requirements are almost always intended to exclude woefully underqualified people from applying. Marginal (near-qualifiying) candidates will almost always be considered. More critical is what one accomplishes in an experience / tenure. I often prefer the work / talent of numerous colleagues with but a fraction of the experience of longer-tenured people.

Are you the female environmental engineer? In general, I believe USA demographics for engineers in general, and women in engineering in particular, make the next couple decades or so a "buyers market" as the baby boomers retire. (Also obviously the health care field.)

Old
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
In my experience, (no pun intended) job positions with experience requirements are almost always intended to exclude woefully underqualified people from applying. Marginal (near-qualifiying) candidates will almost always be considered. More critical is what one accomplishes in an experience / tenure. I often prefer the work / talent of numerous colleagues with but a fraction of the experience of longer-tenured people.

Are you the female environmental engineer? In general, I believe USA demographics for engineers in general, and women in engineering in particular, make the next couple decades or so a "buyers market" as the baby boomers retire. (Also obviously the health care field.)
Ditto. That's also why many positions list the degree requirements 'or commensurate experience'.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Are you the female environmental engineer?
I'm more of a female environment explorer myself.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I'm more of a female environment explorer myself.
Is that you, Dora?

Old
10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Old Navy Goat

Doing laundry sucks, this is the 1st time I've had to do it for myself in about 6 months. Tempted to start looking for a dry cleaner that will pick up / deliver and do laundry service vice just dry cleaning.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Doing laundry sucks, this is the 1st time I've had to do it for myself in about 6 months. Tempted to start looking for a dry cleaner that will pick up / deliver and do laundry service vice just dry cleaning.
Somebody fetch the laundry wench!

I would think you could "acquire" some young Panamanian (yeah I made that up) girls to help out around the house for a reasonable price.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
In my experience, (no pun intended) job positions with experience requirements are almost always intended to exclude woefully underqualified people from applying. Marginal (near-qualifiying) candidates will almost always be considered.
Agreed.

Quote:
Are you the female environmental engineer?
My mom has told me that being a female electrical engineer was great in the late 80s. Quotas were just starting to come around so women engineers could get whatever job they wanted, regardless or qualification.

She was good though... helped design the radar/whatever systems for blackhawk helicopters.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
That's precisely what happened during mine as well. The worst part about it was when I answered one question by stating some theory that my advisor had told me word-for-word about a month prior. After my response to that question, he looked at me and said "There is no such thing as the theory you just stated, where on earth did you come up with such an idea??".

I looked at him mouth completely agape, sure I would fail the defense.

That is bizarre. Though, to be fair, you should probably at least read up on the theory before talking about it in your defense.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Kinda got it, had it but lost it, don't got it, got it.

This reminds me that I want to load up an Eclipse environment and learn some Hibernate and Grails.
In all seriousness, we've been considering experimenting with nodejs for backend services. Full javascript goodness, no ****** DOM and browser quirks to deal with.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:

Yeah, I more or less ignore experience requirements. Filling an open upper level spot with a superbly qualified candidate is nice, but I find many places end up promoting within and filling that person's previous position.

I sent them a nice cover letter along with my resume that talked up my experience and qualifications and how they're relevant to the open position. I just need to get an interview. So far in interviews I'm 5-1-2 as far as getting an offer with the two 'overtime losses' being for positions that didn't actually exist but may in the future. (Both were places looking to open new offices that never ended up materializing.)

And no, I'm male, but Environmental Engineering is pretty strong regardless.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Yeah, I more or less ignore experience requirements. Filling an open upper level spot with a superbly qualified candidate is nice, but I find many places end up promoting within and filling that person's previous position.

I sent them a nice cover letter along with my resume that talked up my experience and qualifications and how they're relevant to the open position. I just need to get an interview. So far in interviews I'm 5-1-2 as far as getting an offer with the two 'overtime losses' being for positions that didn't actually exist but may in the future. (Both were places looking to open new offices that never ended up materializing.)

And no, I'm male, but Environmental Engineering is pretty strong regardless.

3-0 here

Old
10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Somebody fetch the laundry wench!

I would think you could "acquire" some young Panamanian (yeah I made that up) girls to help out around the house for a reasonable price.
I did more than my fair share of cooking and all the laundry when I had the Nightingales living with me. After they messed up the washer a few times, I decided it was in my best interests to take care of it myself. They folded which is what I despise the most; that and starching/ironing shirts/slacks.

Closed Thread