HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Simpsons Season 24

Old
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
khlav kalash!

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:30 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

meh.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Khlav guy sighting was good, but everything else was basically the same. No real filter or any real story. With less than 5 minutes left they still hadn't solved anything and they just did the basic ending of "can't tell you where she went". Gonna guess they were desperate for the story since they allowed Zooey to sing a song.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Francesa
ლ(๏‿๏ ◝ლ)

So basically, another "new" Simpsons episode.

This is what's wrong with the Simpsons. The plots suck now.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Baby Punisher

Terrible episode.

If this season premier was any indication of what the rest of the season will be like than FOX might as well cancel it now.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Loved the episode. I don't mind at all if I'm in the minority, but I laughed all the way through. Good stuff.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:26 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
khlav kalash!
Best part of the episode, for me.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
khlav kalash!
LOL

I was wondering if that was going to make an appearance this episode

decent episode

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Howard Stern

I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, but peoples anger towards this show is ridiculous. We know that the quality has dropped off. Who cares? Relax. You don't have to watch it.

Howard Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Stern View Post
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, but peoples anger towards this show is ridiculous. We know that the quality has dropped off. Who cares? Relax. You don't have to watch it.
I think they watch it so they have something to complain about

Simpsons dropped off for me big time so I havent watched in years.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Francesa
ლ(๏‿๏ ◝ლ)

Quote:
And we don't.

The Simpsons became unwatchable after they changed the intro. The intro is something you don't mess with. Plus, as mentioned before, ludicrous plot lines like Ned and Edna getting married...

Old
10-01-2012, 06:44 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
I'm not angry about it, just depressed. It was a show all of my friends and I grew up with, we can recite the classic quotes textbook. I've probably watched seasons 3-8 at least a dozen times each. Watching (or rather, not watching) the horrific decline of the show has been like watching your dog grow too old to live happily.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
I was initially lenient on it at first but the reason I'm angry now is because I feel the writers have become EXTREMELY lazy. None of the "what a neat episode" stuff is there anymore. It'd be as if Community went from a unique show to just another sitcom, you'd be PO'd.

I hate all the episodes where it's just trying to get fake emotion (like that Lisa save the whale episode from a season or two ago). They still know how to make jokes but the writing just seems to lack intelligence like before.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
It's frustrating to see something you loved so much for its creativity and brilliance stay around way past its "best before date" as a blatant cash-grab that abandoned everything that made it great to begin with.

Honestly one of the worst shows on television now. I hope the people who do watch it are doing it purely out of habit or being obsessive completists, because it's terribly unfunny.

A lot of people feel the same as Harry Shearer, who knows a little something about both the Simpsons and comedy in general, and said this in 2004:

Quote:
"I rate the last three seasons as among the worst, so Season 4 looks very good to me now." He admits he rarely watches old episodes as they outshine the undeveloped recent offerings. He explains: "It makes me sad. They used to have whole scenes."
http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/shearer04.html

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Howard Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
And we don't.

The Simpsons became unwatchable after they changed the intro. The intro is something you don't mess with. Plus, as mentioned before, ludicrous plot lines like Ned and Edna getting married...
So changing the intro makes it unwatchable? Really? You need to stop listening to O&A. Those retards are eating away at your brain cells each and every day.

Howard Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
I haven't watched the Simpsons for a very long time, so what i am asking, what is wrong with the show?
Hating the Simpsons is cool now.

Its not as good as it used to be, but its still better than most other things on tv.

SomeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post

Its not as good as it used to be, but its still better than most other things on tv.
It has nothing to do with being cool. The show ****ing sucks, and its continued run is an embarrassment to the reputation of one of the funniest shows of all time. Even the show's own cast can't help but call out the lame-duck writing.

It's not only a shell of its former self, its simply not good. The jokes have no depth or edge or insight. Plots are derivative. References are empty. Characters act out of character. The current incarnation of the Simpsons is no better than the likes of the Cleveland Show, and that's a sad state of affairs. People should be mad when iconic, imaginative, groundbreaking entertainment become nothing more than a brand that the parent company keeps alive for a cash cow.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post

Saying people only do things to be in is cool now too...

As for the OP's original question as to what is wrong with The Simpsons, to me there isn't enough time anymore to really delve into their 2 story lines like they are used to. Bart's story of finding Cletus' daughter was the main one last night, but when they finally saw each other again in NY they were already halfway into the show. Add to that the subplot of the family's adventures in the city and how they had to be careful not to go over their budget (which was far more entertaining than Bart & chick walking around singing a song) that the main story line just seemed bland. The climax of the show where Cletus finds out where his daughter is and threatens to take her back home happens with about 5 minutes left and by then they are so pressed for time you get a quickie ending with no real answer.

I know how difficult it must be for them to do something not just new but in under 20 minutes, but it just seems like they're hitting a brick wall more often than not these days. Some of the newer more tolerable episodes I have seen (mostly in syndication) are better if they have no subplot at all.

I'm also not usually a fan where the guest star is more of the show than the family is. Like I said before I would've rather watched Homer go around NYC than a plot about Bart and Zooey whatever.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 10-01-2012 at 08:36 PM.
KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

The "compare and contrast" articles on Dead Homer Society - where they compare the handling of a theme by both a classic Simpsons episode and a recent one - do a more thorough job of articulating what's wrong with the new Simpsons better than I ever could.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Ned and Edna are married. As I said in the other thread, it's nothing like the show of the past.
This song has more truth than any of us could've imagined.

How 'bout a crazy wedding? Where something happens and doo-doo-doo-doo-doo. Sorry for the clip show. Have no fears, we've got stories for years.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
VanCanucks14

First episode was okay but I'll still continue to watch. It's still one of my favourite shows even if it has dropped off. It's impossible for a show to remain brilliant for 24 seasons so I'm willing to give it leeway.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:46 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

It's not as bad as people say it is like other shows (see Family Guy) . To me it's still entertaining and you know after 20 years, things change and tastes change. I mean if you watch your old cartoons like Transformers and GI Joe and see how good they held up.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
It's not as bad as people say it is like other shows (see Family Guy) . To me it's still entertaining and you know after 20 years, things change and tastes change. I mean if you watch your old cartoons like Transformers and GI Joe and see how good they held up.
Except that the Simpsons holds up amazingly and everyone concedes that the drop-off with newer episodes is dramatic, which is the whole point. Tastes haven't changed, the quality of the writing has.

Old
10-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Francesa
ლ(๏‿๏ ◝ლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
As listed above, the quality of writing is awful. They are more concerned with bringing celebrities in for meaningless cameos than actual plot. OMG! This week's episode had Zooey Deschanel! I GOT TO WATCH THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Nalyd Psycho

I'm still not convinced that it isn't just as mediocre as everything else. I don't find the episodes particularly bad. If it was any other show, no one would care.