HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do bearings really make a difference?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
esuhock22

vCash: 500
Do bearings really make a difference?

I play roller hockey and was wondering if changing my bearings is worth it. The ones I use now I don't notice a problem with them, but they are old. I've switched them from old wheel to new wheel for years now. I have brand new ones and was wondering if it's worth switching now before my season starts up or leave the ones I have now since I don't notice a problem with them.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Ozz

If they're dirty or worn out, yes you will see (or feel) a difference with new ones. If you've got a low-rated bearing and jump to a higher-rated bearing, you'll also notice a difference.

What have you got now? Are they in fine shape? Do you clean them? They could last for years or they could have needed replacement years ago. It depends on their condition, ultimately.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:20 PM
esuhock22

I have no idea what my old ones were and I never cleaned them. I decided to put the new ones on. They are Bevo Abec 7 pro speed bearings, not even sure if they are cheap ones or not.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
fish7

vCash: 200
my bearings start squealing when they get old

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Ozz

There should be an ABEC rating on the shields of the old bearings. A long time ago when I played inline as a teenager, ABEC-5 was the top rating. Now they're up to 9 as a commonly-available rating. A couple years ago I had a new set of RBK 6Ks which came with ABEC-7s and I couldn't tell much of a difference over the 5s. Now I skate on RBK 8Ks with ABEC-9s and I still notice no difference over the previous. There may be, but I can't tell. It's not a difference comparable to ABEC-1 vs. ABEC-5, anyway.

Whatever the case, you can't go wrong with a brand new set of bearings so enjoy 'em

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Elever
Hth

Anything 5 or up should be fine on the road/driveway.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Gentle Ben Ken0bi

I always cleaned them about once a season and I also cleaned my wheels with Acetone (I think) about every two games. I was playing on an outdoor rink with a bad surface so keeping the wheels clean helped me out a bunch.

Gentle Ben Ken0bi is offline   Reply With Quote