HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...220022446.html (Greg Wysnysky)

"Yes indeed, the "Gomez Celebrations" are being organized by Montreal fans through a website and on Facebook for the Feb. 5 anniversary. Let's hope they never happen.

(...)

We like redemption stories and comeback tales. Most of us wanted to see Marian Hossa win the Stanley Cup, right? (Pipe down, Pittsburgh and Detroit).

And now, as the piling-on is getting emphatic … perhaps a small minority of hockey fans are hoping to see Scott Gomez score a goal before the anniversary hits."

Can Scott put an end to it vs the Devils or the Caps?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Moves Like Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...220022446.html (Greg Wysnysky)

"Yes indeed, the "Gomez Celebrations" are being organized by Montreal fans through a website and on Facebook for the Feb. 5 anniversary. Let's hope they never happen.

(...)

We like redemption stories and comeback tales. Most of us wanted to see Marian Hossa win the Stanley Cup, right? (Pipe down, Pittsburgh and Detroit).

And now, as the piling-on is getting emphatic perhaps a small minority of hockey fans are hoping to see Scott Gomez score a goal before the anniversary hits."

Can Scott put an end to it vs the Devils or the Caps?
Let me say that the day Scott Gomez is traded/Waived/Bought Out/Loaned to Europe will be a happy day for me BUT I like the guy, he seems like a class act and I like his attitude. I would like nothing more than to have the NJ Scott Gomez but he just isn't producing enough to justify his contract. I disagree with this whole celebration, I mean this guy is a professional and I'm sure he's well aware of his scoring drought and him seeing this type stuff had to hurt and make the guy feel even more worse than he already is feeling. I wish the fans wouldn't do this type of stuff, I'm sure players read or hear about this stuff and really want to jump on the chance to play for the habs.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:12 AM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

I like the guy too but I want Gomez day to happen.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:20 AM
llamateizer

have fun celebrating Gomez day

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
http://www.didgomezscore.com/

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
Let me say that the day Scott Gomez is traded/Waived/Bought Out/Loaned to Europe will be a happy day for me BUT I like the guy, he seems like a class act and I like his attitude. I would like nothing more than to have the NJ Scott Gomez but he just isn't producing enough to justify his contract. I disagree with this whole celebration, I mean this guy is a professional and I'm sure he's well aware of his scoring drought and him seeing this type stuff had to hurt and make the guy feel even more worse than he already is feeling. I wish the fans wouldn't do this type of stuff, I'm sure players read or hear about this stuff and really want to jump on the chance to play for the habs.
Fully agreed. Well said.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Agreed with all this. I have nothing against Gomez as a person, and I would love it if he did well for us. But he isn't, and he takes up 7 million dollars of our cap, so this is the result.

Personally I hope this embarasses the Canadiens organization for (a) making that trade and (b) sticking with a $7 million dollar player who hasn't scored a goal in a calendar year when other teams would have cut their losses long ago.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:54 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Image they had a _your name here_ day cause you can't seem to get on the right track at work? This **** is stupid.

whitespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
gillyguzzler

He's a nice guy and he's played well since coming back from injury. He didn't play too well last night however.

As has been said so many times, he'd be much more appreciated if his salary was more in line with his play. Pay him 2M and he's a solid contributor to my team. And again, the Rangers were stupid for given him this contract and Bob Gainey was retarded for trading young assets for him. Other than the Mike Milbury trade disasters, this was the WORST TRADE EVER.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Image they had a _your name here_ day cause you can't seem to get on the right track at work? This **** is stupid.
Well in a normal job, you'd be fired before it got to that point.

I'd deal with having a "let's ridicule Alex" day if it meant I raked in 7+ million a year.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Gonna have to wear my Gomez shirt !

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Well in a normal job, you'd be fired before it got to that point.

I'd deal with having a "let's ridicule Alex" day if it meant I raked in 7+ million a year.
Then you have to hold the GM accountable. Simple stuff really. But if you guys want to move forward with this awesome thought/plan, go for for it..

Old
02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Corncob

At least no-one yet is referring to it as the 'first annual' Gomez day.....oh wait

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
At least no-one yet is referring to it as the 'first annual' Gomez day.....oh wait

It's so funny and yet so sad at the same time.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Then you have to hold the GM accountable. Simple stuff really. But if you guys want to move forward with this awesome thought/plan, go for for it..
Ya, always blame someone else.

Scott Gomez deserves any **** that comes his way. It is embarrassing for both him and the team/organization. This is professional sports and not some little league. In any other type of business he would be out on his ass but people want me to have sympathy for him?

He seems like a nice guy, and that's great, but he's not my friend. I cheer for the logo on the front and he is a black hole on this team.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
elsubz

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:33 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

Scott Gomez deserves any **** that comes his way. It is embarrassing for both him and the team/organization. This is professional sports and not some little league. In any other type of business he would be out on his ass but people want me to have sympathy for him?

He seems like a nice guy, and that's great, but he's not my friend. I cheer for the logo on the front and he is a black hole on this team.
My point exactly. So who's to blame for that? Right...

Old
02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Joe Cole

You have to have a serious self esteem issue to hope for someone to not succeed.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I don't think the whole deal with this is good for the team and is overall childish.

But let's be serious. If the guy can't will himself to score a goal over a 1 year period, especially when people start to point it out, maybe there's a problem with his ability or simply he doesn't have the fire to silence those people.

Scott Gomez may not deserve this, but Scott Gomez has not done a thing about it while playing 15+ minutes a night and PP time over a calendar year. That's the part that actually matters.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Moves Like Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

I have sympathy for Gomez. Ya the guy makes 7 million a year but who wouldn't sign a contract of 7 million if they were offered it? You're telling me that if you applied at Mcdonalds as a cook and the hiring manager offers you $100,000 a year that you would turn it down? Of course not. So I don't blame the guy for signing that contract Sather offered him. I'm sure he's trying out there but things aren't going his way.

A little off topic but are you not from saint john? I'm posting from my phone so I can't see your location but I think you're from there. I grew up there and went back a few years ago to visit. Not as great as I remembered it sadly.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Stive Morgan
Canada's Team

vCash: 50
How awesome would it be if it was against the Devils? I wonder if he'd get booed in N.J.

Stive Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
I laugh every time I see this.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Habs

I'm certain, that although Gomez obviously loves his contract, he must feel the pressures of it are really bringing him down. If he were making 3 million a season, I bet he would be putting up some points.

In a way it must be a bit embarrassing for him, since it seems most pro athletes are proud and want to perform.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
LePoche69

Quite often I say to myself stuff like:

"the guy's a class act"
"The guy's trying hard"
"It is not his fault a GM gave him 7+ millions a year"
"He's habs' only player able to carry the puck in the offensive zone"

etc.

And then I notice that some guys like Jared Boll, Cody McLeod, Shane O'Brien, Theo Peckam, Ben Eager and Paul Bissonnette, just to name a few, have all more goals than Gomez.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed with all this. I have nothing against Gomez as a person, and I would love it if he did well for us. But he isn't, and he takes up 7 million dollars of our cap, so this is the result.

Personally I hope this embarasses the Canadiens organization for (a) making that trade and (b) sticking with a $7 million dollar player who hasn't scored a goal in a calendar year when other teams would have cut their losses long ago.
I'm with you on this...nothing against Gomez the person, but his production at his contract is an absolute disgrace...and the fact that Habs management haven't done anything about it is even more embarassing.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote