HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL fans could learn a thing or two...

Old
09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

vCash: 500
NHL fans could learn a thing or two...

interesting article, what's your guys' take on it?
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/9...ement-referees

basically they said that NFL fans flooded the NHL HQ after the "blown call" earlier this week. Immediately the next day, the NFL and referees had come to an agreement. Have the fans of the NHL not made enough impact, or let the NHL know? I've seen numerous videos, articles, etc saying otherwise.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

A referee lockout and a player lockout are two completely different animals.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Fans saying they want hockey games isn't going to resolve an incredibly fundamental dispute that goes to the core of the leagues financial structure. The owners aren't going to cave until they get something where they're not going to be losing money with well run franchises. If you want to call someone to complain, dial up the NHLPA.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:17 AM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

also, we've had protest infront of the NHL store if i'm not mistaken. I think the NHL fans have put forth effort, and who knows how many voicemails and letter have been sent to the league and PA. They aren't going to dish those statistics out, or atleast to my knowledge.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Exactly. It's one thing to have the players locked out. It's another when you have the replacement officials making a HUGE gaff on a nationally televised game.

The fans didn't make an impact in getting the referees back. Their replacements simply didn't do a good enough job (or at least, their screw-ups were becoming more and more prominant, making the games less about the game and more about the officials), and that blown call was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Now if the NHL hired "scab" players, and they were completely awful to watch, then the players would likely get more and more leverage in negotiations, similar to the referees and the NFL

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Completely this. If the NHL and NHLPA don't know already that we are furious, then they are the dumbest people in the world. What we are witnessing right now is the simple fact that the NHL and the NHLPA do not care about the fans. I'm not saying they are wrong, I just don't want to hear the hypocritical appeals to the fans when this is all over.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
This has to stop it wasn't just because the fans were pissed you don't think the 31 owners other than the Seattle owner was pissed? As it stands now GB could miss the playoffs by a game because of one of the worst calls in football history. Sure the fans were pissed but so were the owners who were the ones locking them out. The owners caved because they realized that they couldn't have the same product with out the real refs.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:57 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I've said many times that NHL fans need to take a cue from MLB fans, as their genuine outrage was legitimately enough to scare players and owners ****less for a couple decades.

But nope, fans will just roll over and come back when the NHL returns, and they'll probably do the same thing in 2020 or 2025 when the next lockout happens, too.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:39 AM
LegnaRouy

I don't watch a lot of NFL, but if anyone can show me a video of this " blown call that drew the straw ", I would appreciate it. Thx in advance.

LegnaRouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I've said many times that NHL fans need to take a cue from MLB fans, as their genuine outrage was legitimately enough to scare players and owners ****less for a couple decades.
That's because the MLB players went on strike mid-season. People were already invested in the playoff race and it just got thrown out the window.

Quite different when an offseason lockout forces games to be cancelled 10 at a time.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Oshie97

So did the owners cave and give the refs everything they wanted? I didn't really hear much about the agreement that was made. Anyways, they are two different situations, the NFL was still taking fans money but giving the a bad product while the NHL is completely locked out before the season starts. The NFL pretty much had their hands tied behind their back which is the reason why the owners will not let the players play while working on a contract.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:17 AM

This is the third time I'm posting about it and I'm starting to really think about putting together a fan march from the NHL offices to the NHL store.

Not so much bring back the NHL as much as stop hurting our favorite sport. The NHL makes hockey look bad. They're an 8th rate league for a reason. Plus no matter who wins out of this stupid lockout we still get fleeced with $80 upper bowl seats and $15 for water and a hot dog.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:39 AM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegnaRouy View Post
I don't watch a lot of NFL, but if anyone can show me a video of this " blown call that drew the straw ", I would appreciate it. Thx in advance.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:34 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
That's because the MLB players went on strike mid-season. People were already invested in the playoff race and it just got thrown out the window.

Quite different when an offseason lockout forces games to be cancelled 10 at a time.
True, but if we get a second season lost entirely, which is what I actually do think will happen, then we just got shafted more in the past decade than any other sports' fanbase in the span of a decade.

If we roll over and take it again, then we'll just be pushing that snowball a bit further for the league and then act surprised in 10 or so years when the next lockout happens.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
RogerRoeper*

Silly article. The dispute with the refs was over a relatively minor amount of moneys. Refs don't get millions of dollars a year.

It's completely different with a lockout.

The NFL makes so much money on tv deals alone it seemed silly to hurt their credibility and have that horrible press because of a dispute over money with referees.

And it wasn't just fans. The media crapped all over the NFl because of the situation after the Packers/Seahawks game.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

But nope, fans will just roll over and come back when the NHL returns, and they'll probably do the same thing in 2020 or 2025 when the next lockout happens, too.
Yet it's the only sport with no cap and many teams have no shot ever at the playoffs.

The 94' MLB strike was the worst ever because fans invested their time/money/passion for the game for 3 quarters of the season and it was all for nothing.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
True, but if we get a second season lost entirely, which is what I actually do think will happen, then we just got shafted more in the past decade than any other sports' fanbase in the span of a decade.

If we roll over and take it again, then we'll just be pushing that snowball a bit further for the league and then act surprised in 10 or so years when the next lockout happens.
You're probably right, but the fact of the matter is that the fans aren't all that upset about it just yet.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
interesting article, what's your guys' take on it?
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/9...ement-referees

basically they said that NFL fans flooded the NHL HQ after the "blown call" earlier this week. Immediately the next day, the NFL and referees had come to an agreement. Have the fans of the NHL not made enough impact, or let the NHL know? I've seen numerous videos, articles, etc saying otherwise.
Why did they flood the Nhl Hq and not the Nfl Hq.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
Why did they flood the Nhl Hq and not the Nfl Hq.
It's still all Bettman's fault!

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:44 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Another difference is some people said it would take one NFL team getting screwed by a horrible call from those replacement refs that would mean getting the regular refs back working as soon as possible, which is exactly what happened to the Packers.

Just after the lockout TSN showed some Rangers and Devils fans protesting outside the NHL offices in New York City. I don't think it was a huge number of people actually doing that, however the fact is they still tried it and Bettman couldn't care about it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
JuniorNelson

The NFL relies on integrity of officiating to encourage betting. The NHL makes no pretense of even reliable officiating at all.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
The NHL makes no pretense of even reliable officiating at all.
Of course they do.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
It's not the fans that need to learn. It's the League and the PA. They need to learn the "hard way". Unfortunately, especially in Canada, the fans are unwilling to teach them the lesson.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Legionnaire11

Why do Canadians seem to think that the NFL is based ENTIRELY on betting? The betting line is a useful tool for measuring how the experts predict a game, it's more useful in the NFL than any other league, which is why it gets reports on ESPN and such, but really the overwhelming majority of NFL fans do not bet on games. Maybe you're only paying attention to the Super Bowl which is bet heavily, but even then the number is much smaller than you'd think.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Of course they do.
Then why is Chris Lee still around and why did he start reffing playoffs games?

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote