HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
megashock5

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
An actual hockey president, I feel like I'm dreaming.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

great news, and a great new direction with an actual hockey mind...now #GAFDD

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Good news, but I will care more once we have hockey again.

10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Skraut

Golf Clap for the changed headline. I always looked forward to that show when it was on.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Confirmed by CBJ. Just got a team email that says Davidson will be added to front office.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
In fairness, I'd hardly consider Nash "in the pipeline" (Mayor's words in the post you quoted) when Howson arrived. And the pipeline is improved at least from a blueline standpoint among the team's top 20 prospects per HF. That said, I remain unconvinced regarding the overall improvement of the organization, including from a prospect standpoint.
I know you guys are getting used to the cutesy parsing of words because it is political season and Ohio will likely determine the election again, but there's no parsing this reality--Scott Howson has yet to draft and develop a player of Nash's caliber. And it isn't for lack of high draft picks. End of story.

I hope for one of two things--By the time the season is over Howson is gone or Davidson keeps Patrick and/or brings in someone else so that Howson has so many babysitters that he can't screw up on his own any more.

Last edited by CapnCornelius: 10-24-2012 at 09:58 AM.
CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I know you guys are getting used to the cutesy parsing of words because it is political season and Ohio will likely determine the election again, but there's no parsing this reality--Scott Howson has yet to draft and develop a player of Nash's caliber. And it isn't for lack of high draft picks. End of story.
You're right, I will no longer concern myself with things like the meaning of words and the reading of all of them. I see now that caring about these minor details is only due to the influence of election season. What could "we guys" have been thinking?

Because of this, I will not acknowledge that the subsequent point you make in this post is much more clear than in the prior one, providing genuine support for a point-of-view. And I will not take credit for the "parsing of words" which helped bring it about.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Yes. As I said above, I hope his job is to provide a vision about how this organization needs to operate to have the best success on-ice, then task people to do it as he sees best fit. The lack of clear "macro" thinking has hampered the CBJ from day one.
JD did a great job with this in St. Louis. He came in with a plan to rebuild through the draft and stuck with it. He was upfront with the fans and ask them to be patient through the process.

Howson is on the clock at 2PM today.....

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Hugg

This is the best move in the history of the franchise.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Could have sworn we had that Nash guy.

So, I'd say we're in about the same boat on October 24, 2012.
Quote:
"In the pipeline" was something I said to refer to players who had not yet made the NHL on a full-time basis. However, the citing of the lone example of an All-Star anywhere in the organization, particularly one as divisive as Nash, proves my point better.

However, because I like to drown people in information, I decided to run with your unspoken question, which is, "Since 2007, who HAS drafted a player of Nash's caliber?" And then my question, which is, "Could Columbus have drafted him without moving up?" The second part is merely because we have no idea what it would take to move up, and as much as I like theoreticals, I also know the heavy price that can be paid to move up.

Anaheim - No, despite Toronto fans thinking that Jake Gardiner (2008) is already better than Ray Bourque
Atlanta - No. Evander Kane is their best player drafted from 2007-12.
Boston - Tyler Seguin may or may not be better than Nash. Regardless, as a #2 overall pick (2010), the ability to move up into a clear top-two was limited.
Buffalo - No. A couple of nice players (Ennis and Myers, both 2008), but Myers specifically has been all over the place.
Calgary - No, although they think Baertschi is already there.
Carolina - Jeff Skinner is far and away their best player, but just had the type of down year that can be expected from a young player. Whether he ends up a perennial All-Star or perennial tease remains to be seen.
Chicago - Patrick Kane, who was a 1st overall pick.
Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene are in the conversation, but both of them would have involved moving up.
Dallas - If we're going to say Jamie Benn, we have to acknowledge that no one else thought he was worth a damn either.
Detroit - No.
Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, possibly Jordan Eberle. Eberle was a 22nd overall pick who fell past several other teams with excellent draft reputations.
Los Angeles - Drew Doughty was a 2nd overall pick, which would have involved moving up.
Minnesota - No. Nick Leddy is their best pick, and he was traded for Cam Barker anyway.
Montreal - Despite the 2007 drafting of Subban, McDonagh, and Pacioretty, I think it would be a stretch to say that any of them are better than Nash.
Nashville - No.
New Jersey - No. Adam Henrique and Adam Larsson are one year into their respective careers, and Larsson couldn't have been acquired anyway (even by keeping the pick).
NY Islanders - John Tavares, who was a 1st overall pick.
NY Rangers - Del Zotto and Stepan are still young, and may or may not end up better. They clearly are not better now.
Ottawa - Depends on how you feel about Erik Karlsson.
Philadelphia - No.
Phoenix - No, although Ekman-Larsson has a chance to be better.
Pittsburgh - No.
St. Louis - Alex Pietrangelo was a 4th overall pick and would have involved moving up.
San Jose - No, but Logan Couture comes closest. And no one else comes close to him.
Tampa Bay - Steven Stamkos was a 1st overall pick.
Toronto - Nazem Kadri, amirite?
Vancouver - No.
Washington - No.

What we're forced to recognize is that, despite claims to the contrary, the only players since 2007 who are clearly on the same level or better than Rick Nash were inaccessible. Those would be Doughty, Tavares, Stamkos, and possibly Kane. Perhaps several other players will end up better, but then we're circling right back around to whether they'll end up better than the CBJ draft picks. We can't blast away for not taking Cam Fowler in 2010, unless you're willing to declare Ryan Johansen a complete bust.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I hope for one of two things--By the time the season is over Howson is gone or Davidson keeps Patrick and/or brings in someone else so that Howson has so many babysitters that he can't screw up on his own any more.
Really? I usually hope for the playoffs and for a lot to build on going into the future. But to each his own, I guess.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I can say that the game I attended last year(first one in like 5 years) I spent more time making fun of the "protesters" than actually watching the game. I understand the want to fire Howson, but the group I saw were just complete and utter idiots. Made me ashamed to be a jacket fan.
Anyone who comes to one game in five years can't feel the frustration of constant losing, ineptness and failure this team has churned out at a monolithic pace! I was not one of the protesters but wanted to be! Sitting idly by doing nothing, saying nothing is for losers! These "idiots" got your attention, that's the idea, to get attention, that we are tired of pathetic ineptitude. Howson is the architect the last five years, he was another in a long line of mistakes this team has made, he needs to go! Any other team he would be. The guy in Montreal lasted not two years, and he made the playoffs!

I suggest if you are embarrassed to be a Jackets fan you try a closer team to you like the Preds or Canes. Maybe you can go more than once every five years.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
anteater90

I have not posted in a long time. This move gives me a slim feeling of optimism. It feels strange. I hope it continues to grow.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Yes! This just made my week!

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Anyone who comes to one game in five years can't feel the frustration of constant losing, ineptness and failure this team has churned out at a monolithic pace! I was not one of the protesters but wanted to be! Sitting idly by doing nothing, saying nothing is for losers! These "idiots" got your attention, that's the idea, to get attention, that we are tired of pathetic ineptitude. Howson is the architect the last five years, he was another in a long line of mistakes this team has made, he needs to go! Any other team he would be. The guy in Montreal lasted not two years, and he made the playoffs!

I suggest if you are embarrassed to be a Jackets fan you try a closer team to you like the Preds or Canes. Maybe you can go more than once every five years.
Assuming that the person you responded to actively lives in Georgia...no, you're right. No one who witnessed the Atlanta Thrashers could ever talk about constant losing, ineptitude, or failure.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Assuming that the person you responded to actively lives in Georgia...no, you're right. No one who witnessed the Atlanta Thrashers could ever talk about constant losing, ineptitude, or failure.

If I remember correctly, at one time he translated a Russian news article. I always assumed he meant "Georgia" the country; not "Georgia" the state, but we'll see.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Stretch Factor

I was willing to bet this would happen when he brought his wife to town. But, I'll admit I was getting nervous it was taking so long.

This is a great day for the CBJ.

I also think the lockout helps him get his feet wet, scout the young players, and objectively review the entire organization from the top down.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
BluejacketNut

Cautiously optimistic. Now get rid of Howson. I dont want him around to be a puppet and have to have Davidson approve every single move (which if you keep Howson, MUST BE DONE). If you have to ok every single move, then ditch him and get a real GM who can be trusted to make normal decisions....Howson's record shows he should not be trusted.

I just wish we at least still had Nash now, we still have no elite players on this team, and while Davidson brings some credibility, that doesnt mean elite players will be lining up to sing here. Developing through the draft will only get you so far....with no elite players to go with them, we'll just be the farm team for other teams, for players to leave once they do develop and actually want to win. Give me a Howson fired headline and I might actually get excited about this team again!

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Stretch Factor

I'm also excited to see JD on TV and hear him on radio. Howson was never comfortable with the media stuff and JD will now be the "face".

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Thanks for making me embarrassed to be a Jackets fan. Do you have any suggestions for teams to follow for someone who lives in the Cleveland area? One specifically where fans don't look down on each other for having opinions.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
EDM

Great news. So what year do you think the NHL will play again?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Thanks for making me embarrassed to be a Jackets fan. Do you have any suggestions for teams to follow for someone who lives in the Cleveland area? One specifically where fans don't look down on each other for having opinions.
He's calling other fans "idiots" for expressing their opinion, that's not looking down on them? He expressed his opinion, I expressed mine. Last I heard that's what these boards are for. He says he is embarrassed, I offered a cure for that.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
BlueJacket2

Very excited to see this finally happen. I was wondering why it was taking so long. Anyways, this has just made my week ten times better!!

Any idea what channel the announcement will be broadcasted on? I am at home working and haven't the time of day to explore through the thread to find out.

BlueJacket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Cautiously optimistic. Now get rid of Howson. I dont want him around to be a puppet and have to have Davidson approve every single move (which if you keep Howson, MUST BE DONE). If you have to ok every single move, then ditch him and get a real GM who can be trusted to make normal decisions....Howson's record shows he should not be trusted.
Apparently 29 other GMs have no problem with a working relationship with a team president; why would this be any different?

Quote:
I just wish we at least still had Nash now, we still have no elite players on this team, and while Davidson brings some credibility, that doesnt mean elite players will be lining up to sing here. Developing through the draft will only get you so far....with no elite players to go with them, we'll just be the farm team for other teams, for players to leave once they do develop and actually want to win. Give me a Howson fired headline and I might actually get excited about this team again!
Find me one team who's even attempted to build through the draft exclusively, without signing depth or without making trades.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
blahblah

Well, a new era begins. The next year+ should prove interesting. Curious to see what type of immediate changes we will see.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote