HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I'm fully prepared to blame Boomer.
Don't blame Boomer, he's a loveable, family friendly mascot that was never given a fair chance. No, blame who is really responsible. The Dutch, with their windmills and damn wooden shoes.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Don't blame Boomer, he's a loveable, family friendly mascot that was never given a fair chance. No, blame who is really responsible. The Dutch, with their windmills and damn wooden shoes.

Well hell if shoes are to be involved I'm going to blame those hip musicians with their COMPLICATED SHOES! Along with "it's me's."

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm sorry, what knowledge of JD's reputation did I discuss? I don't remember weighing on the current integrity of the front office and whether or not he would bring any additional integrity to it. I didn't make a claim as such. I was talking about JR. If you are going to dump on me, do it for the right reasons. I made an off handed joke about the sanity of someone being best buds with JR, but that was the total extent of it.

As it so happens, I have a few texts in regards to Davidson. Of which I am NOT going to even give you a hint of what is in said texts. The texts have not played any impact on any post I have made to this point.

My suspicion is that he will be hired. That is a total guess. I will have mixed feelings about it. After he's hired if people corner me with a beer I will consider discussing it in greater detail (of which the information in the texts will not be discussed).
Then why even mention these alleged texts? So we will all think that you really do get text messages from important people?

WOW, COOL!

Anyway all, sorry I was responsible for this veering OT. I merely mentioned it because I thought it would be something that might, in a little way, help Davidson make his decision.

My gut feeling from reading the comments from both sides is that JPM made a very significant offer to Davidson to grab the hockey reigns of this team. Only time will tell.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Then why even mention these alleged texts? So we will all think that you really do get text messages from important people?

WOW, COOL!
Only said it because of your accusation. Important people? Please. Important people are people that do important things. Playing hockey, watching hockey, being a GM or President of a sports franchise? None of that is important. It's entertainment, one step removed from gladiators in Rome (while we don't watch guys die, we sure get in a frenzy with them dropping the gloves). I know people that know people. Big f'ing deal. I am not bragging. It could dry up tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice. I don't notice people like you dropping the bomb on people for daring to say they are friends with Rimer.

The next President, that is important. We more important at least. Surgeon, that's important work. Hell even a volunteer at the Red Cross or a food bank is more important.

One of the people I know has done far more for me than anything related to any piece of hockey related information. We could never talk hockey again I would still treasure that relationship.

You don't know me and don't pretend to. You really know nothing about me. However, I do know you had no issue bearing false witness and didn't apologize for it if it was a mistake. You had no issue glossing over that, but apologized for going OT? Umm yeah.

I do giggle around here when the moral high ground people come out swinging at me before I even approach anything as an attack against them.

Davidson. I have no issue with him being the next President. I'm not sure he'll be as great as what everyone is claiming. Improvement? Most likely, almost certain. How much so is the question I have. Yes, I roll my eyes at the thought that he has a relationship with Rimer and I don't want that to be a deciding factor in bringing him coming on board. So what. I didn't bend to peer pressure on how great a person Rimer is and the excitement of his relationship with JD? Please. I'm obviously evil.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Davidson. I have no issue with him being the next President. I'm not sure he'll be as great as what everyone is claiming. Improvement? Most likely, almost certain. How much so is the question I have. Yes, I roll my eyes at the thought that he has a relationship with Rimer and I don't want that to be a deciding factor in bringing him coming on board. So what. I didn't bend to peer pressure on how great a person Rimer is and the excitement of his relationship with JD? Please. I'm obviously evil.
JD would give the team some cache, a gravitas, credibility that it lacks. Now, if he doesn't improve the team's on-ice fortunes, that will all go away. I agree with you that he may not be the slam-dunk people are saying, but that he would be an improvement. I think, if the right leadership structure can be arranged, he's a great hire.

Assuming he and Rimer long-time buddies (which has many possible interpretations - it appears they co-hosted a radio program, that much is clear)... I would certainly expect JD would reach out to him for information (my own opinions of Rimer aside). I would also hope that whatever input he got from an old friend wouldn't be the biggest factor in making this kind of a decision.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I agree with you that he may not be the slam-dunk people are saying, but that he would be an improvement.
Yes, certainly an improvement over Priest. Not sure that translates to on-ice performance, but nothing is a certain.

Quote:
I think, if the right leadership structure can be arranged, he's a great hire.
As long as expectations are appropriate and he allows the GM to be the GM, he could be an outstanding hire.

Quote:
I would also hope that whatever input he got from an old friend wouldn't be the biggest factor in making this kind of a decision.
Yep.

We need someone like Davidson. So far all we've seen is Davidson. He's generally respected and he's certainly far more credible than Priest and Dougie before him. Does that means he's the best guy? No, that just means we've set a low bar. Does that mean he isn't the best guy for this team? No.

If ownership is comfortable with him and are willing to pay up the ransom he is going to ask for, then I am fine with it.

Be prepared. Patience will be required. Again. His arrival may do nothing for years. We may not even see dramatic changes. Hell we might go back into some rebuild. I think it's inevitable that he ends up with us. I hope it's a good thing assuming he is hired.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Stretch Factor

Wouldn't Rimer crap his pants if he does all this work behind the scenes to get JD hired and then the ownership fires Rimer and replaces him with JD in the booth.

Just kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see a ton of JD on TV if he takes the President job.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Just kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see a ton of JD on TV if he takes the President job.
That is a certainty and that has little to do with Rimer. He will be the new face of the franchise. He has to be if he's going to sell his vision. Remember how we always saw Dougie? That will return with a smarter and more professional dude.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:00 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
That is a certainty and that has little to do with Rimer. He will be the new face of the franchise. He has to be if he's going to sell his vision. Remember how we always saw Dougie? That will return with a smarter and more professional dude.
I sure hope so...

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:42 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

A lot of blahblahing on here!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
From my point of view, that's the one thing I liked about DMGM, he was very accessible. As a fan of a budding franchise I was always more interested in the GM information than the coaching information.

I would enjoy hearing JD's thoughts on the org on a regular basis.

I am starting to get concerned this is taking so long. Especially if the lockout ends, JD will have more options.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Y'know what I'm entertained by? The possibility that Davidson gets hired and then doesn't fire Howson.

I wonder just how many heads around here would explode.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:10 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Y'know what I'm entertained by? The possibility that Davidson gets hired and then doesn't fire Howson.

I won't be surprised, either way. I'm only interested in results, not in revenge.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Don't know why you would post this. I don't see one post suggesting such. You've extrapolated that folks may be assuming/hoping for it, and that's likely the case, but I hardly see some grand notion afoot that would cause you to reply to it with such delicious potential schadenfreude.

That said, should Davidson get hired, the chances are pretty good he'll fire Howson. At some point.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:05 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
Is that necessarily a bad thing?
Never suggested it was.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
blahblah

Quote:

Only if the results didn't improve dramatically and Davidson stuck with him. I want Howson gone, as everyone should know by now, but it's not in my power to remove him from office.

I like what we've been doing recently, but I'm not sure who is responsible for that. The fact that Mason is still around suggests there is still too much Howson polluting the air in Columbus however.

If Davidson is hired, I expect some patience the first year. At least in the short term, to start whatever season happens to be being played. Beyond that, I have no expectations.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

You I like.

Quote:
Don't know why you would post this. I don't see one post suggesting such. You've extrapolated that folks may be assuming/hoping for it, and that's likely the case, but I hardly see some grand notion afoot that would cause you to reply to it with such delicious potential schadenfreude.

That said, should Davidson get hired, the chances are pretty good he'll fire Howson. At some point.
There can't be a grand notion afoot, simply because some of the most vocal from the anti-Howson group seem to have just up and vanished.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Only said it because of your accusation. Important people? Please. Important people are people that do important things. Playing hockey, watching hockey, being a GM or President of a sports franchise? None of that is important. It's entertainment, one step removed from gladiators in Rome (while we don't watch guys die, we sure get in a frenzy with them dropping the gloves). I know people that know people. Big f'ing deal. I am not bragging. It could dry up tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice. I don't notice people like you dropping the bomb on people for daring to say they are friends with Rimer.

The next President, that is important. We more important at least. Surgeon, that's important work. Hell even a volunteer at the Red Cross or a food bank is more important.

One of the people I know has done far more for me than anything related to any piece of hockey related information. We could never talk hockey again I would still treasure that relationship.

You don't know me and don't pretend to. You really know nothing about me. However, I do know you had no issue bearing false witness and didn't apologize for it if it was a mistake. You had no issue glossing over that, but apologized for going OT? Umm yeah.

I do giggle around here when the moral high ground people come out swinging at me before I even approach anything as an attack against them.

What accusation? I accused you of something? If you are accusing me of accusing you of something then I think you need to go review my previous two posts on this matter.

As far as my response to your text message thing. Why throw out teasers about text messages if you have no intention of sharing them? That just sounds so immature.

And you are right, I don't know you, and you are probably a good person. But, I am just baffled by some of your posts. You have every right to post what you want just as I do, so carry on.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

I have been on the "Howson/Priest heads should roll" bandwagon. However, if JD does come on board, I would guess he'll give Howson a fair shot but will not stick with him if they get off to a bad start. Also, JD was very patient and stuck with the rebuilding plan in St. Louis. I would guess he will do the same if he lands in Columbus.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

If Davidson gets hired, Howson would essentially be replaced as the top dog in charge of hockey operations. I can certainly live with a demotion.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If Davidson gets hired, Howson would essentially be replaced as the top dog in charge of hockey operations. I can certainly live with a demotion.
And Priest would likely be excluded from on ice decisions (such as the rumored interview questions in the last coaching search). This would also be a good thing.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
There can't be a grand notion afoot, simply because some of the most vocal from the anti-Howson group seem to have just up and vanished.
OK but still I don't get the joy in potentially skewering a groupthink that doesn't appear to exist. Assuming it does doesn't make it so, nor does it take into account that fact that, even folks who want Howson fired yesterday don't expect it to be JD's first order of business, should he be hired. Waste of time, IMO.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
What accusation? I accused you of something? If you are accusing me of accusing you of something then I think you need to go review my previous two posts on this matter.
It was LS, not you. You jumped in the middle of an exchange between him and me. Sorry if I lost track during the barrage you became the victim.

As I said I only brought it up because of THE accusation, it's amazing how one word changes things eh? It's not hard to find it, you jumped right in the middle of the the exchange.

If you don't agree that I should have defended myself from the highly mature posts of others, that's your business.

Now, if the board is now done ganging up on me because of what I think of Rimer (I still can't believe some of the defense of the guy with a 1st grade knowledge, ok higher but still no where near what it should be - damn hyperbole, of the game of hockey), or if I know anyone in hockey, and pay attention to what I think of Davidson, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
OK but still I don't get the joy in potentially skewering a groupthink that doesn't appear to exist. Assuming it does doesn't make it so, nor does it take into account that fact that, even folks who want Howson fired yesterday don't expect it to be JD's first order of business, should he be hired. Waste of time, IMO.
Let's consider the source here. One is me (a legendary loudmouth who skewers anything and anyone), and the other is Viqsi (me-lite, more pointed but less abrasive. As far as I know, she's never coded insults into posts, which I've done a time or two.)

Now, consider that nearly every thread in some way comes back to someone demanding heads. Consider who's taken a lot of abuse on this very board for not demanding a purge in the front office. That's just what's been publicly stated on the boards; if her (or Roadman's) PM box has looked anything like what mine did, simply maintaining sanity is amazing.

Pass up a chance to take a jab at "the other side"? C'mon.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote