HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New interview with Paul Ranger - 09-28-2012

Old
09-28-2012, 02:40 PM
DPyro

vCash: 500
New interview with Paul Ranger - 09-28-2012

Mapleleafs.com just posted a new interview with Paul Ranger. Seems like he's still pretty dedicated to the game and only wants to play in Toronto.

Link

Last edited by ULF_55: 12-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.
DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Oh man, he paused before answering the first question. He doesn't really want to play in Toronto. He wants out. Ship him away while he still has value!

Quarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:54 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Sounds like a guy who really wants the win. The kind of guy needed in the locker room and he's going to set a standard at working hard. You can tell. Perfect guy to pair up with a few of the youngsters.

09-28-2012, 03:06 PM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Sounds like a guy who really wants the win. The kind of guy needed in the locker room and he's going to set a standard at working hard. You can tell. Perfect guy to pair up with a few of the youngsters.
I thought the exact same thing. Very well spoken. Really excited to see him play.

Great inverview

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Agreed. I really like the way he held himself and the way he approached each question.

He will be a very positive presence for our young group.

09-28-2012, 03:17 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

"It's great to be home."

He's being very honest, comes across as a real nice guy.

Last edited by legendinblue: 09-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.
legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Never heard an interview like that before. Definetly think because he coached it should help him on his way back and probably teached him things about the game that he never realised before.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Was he good defensively? I know he got all those points but since I don't remember him prior to us signing him I don't know much else about his play.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
MapleLeafs9
MapleLeafs9

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Was he good defensively? I know he got all those points but since I don't remember him prior to us signing him I don't know much else about his play.
He was a great two-way defenceman. A richer man's Carl Gunnarsson.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
He was a great two-way defenceman. A richer man's Carl Gunnarsson.
Oh wow, that's pretty damn good (I'm a fan of Gunnar and think he has a place with this team in the future).

Old
09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Sounds like a guy who's been through the ringer. That's not a bad thing, helps gain perspective. Glad to see it looks like things are on the right track from him.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Sounds like a guy who's been through the ringer. That's not a bad thing, helps gain perspective. Glad to see it looks like things are on the right track from him.
Agreed. Gets pretty choked up in the video at one point when he speaks about his family being supportive. Definitely some history there. I see him playing with the leafs and on the night of his debut a nice little documentary about what happened to him.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Im Old Gregggg

damiit he wants to win ..... so i guess that takes us out of the running when the rust is off

Im Old Gregggg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Agreed. Gets pretty choked up in the video at one point when he speaks about his family being supportive. Definitely some history there. I see him playing with the leafs and on the night of his debut a nice little documentary about what happened to him.
Yup, when he starts to talk about family and playing at home he really starts to become emotional, I think that this is going to work out for both partys.
Thanks Stevie Y.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Rinzler

I really like this guy and his approach to the situation. Good end up being a good move for us. If he makes the Leafs down the road I can see him sticking around a long time at a very good price, as log as he has an ntc.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Top 4 2-way blueliner under 30 for free. Nice pickup.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'm curious as to who he will be partnered up with. Hunch says it will be Gards.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:03 PM
MapleLeafs9
MapleLeafs9

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
Yup, when he starts to talk about family and playing at home he really starts to become emotional, I think that this is going to work out for both partys.
Thanks Stevie Y.
Yeah I thought I was the only one that noticed him tearing up at that part. You can tell he's definitely been through a lot, I hope he picks it up and Burke signs him if he does. Sounds like the only place he wants to play is in the City of Toronto too.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Yeah I thought I was the only one that noticed him tearing up at that part. You can tell he's definitely been through a lot, I hope he picks it up and Burke signs him if he does. Sounds like the only place he wants to play is in the City of Toronto too.
Oh wow so he did shed some tear during the interview, I thought it must have been the lighting or something.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Here's a question. Who will end up being the better defensive pickup? Ranger or Schultz?

Ranger (28) has played in the NHL and did from the sounds of it pretty well. Will have to wait to see if he regains the form. Schultz (22) has been dynamite in his college hockey career.

I think I'm going to have to go for Schultz just because of all those extra years you can get service out of the player. I hope I'm wrong

Old
09-28-2012, 07:15 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Here's a question. Who will end up being the better defensive pickup? Ranger or Schultz?

Ranger (28) has played in the NHL and did from the sounds of it pretty well. Will have to wait to see if he regains the form. Schultz (22) has been dynamite in his college hockey career.

I think I'm going to have to go for Schultz just because of all those extra years you can get service out of the player. I hope I'm wrong
Not really a good comparison IMO, as they're not really similar in any way other than the fact they are defensemen.

Ranger was a hell of a defenseman before his personal issues forced him to take a hiatus. Guy that could play big minutes in any situation. Great 2way guy. As someone above said, richer mans Gunnar.

I don't know an awful lot about Schultz, but he seems more of an offensive defenseman than a 2 way.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Pyromaniac3

Sounds like Eakins is making an impression:

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Paul Ranger targeted the Toronto Marlies for his return to pro hockey and Dallas Eakins is a big reason why.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Drew311
Tank Captain

Quote:
He was Dan Boyle's defensive partner for a while, so I would think he would have to be a good two-way player to cover up when Boyle rushed the puck.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Pi

You can see he's got teary eyes when he's talking about his family, being home and getting a perfect opportunity.

I really hope he makes a great impression. Paul Ranger was a heck of a defenseman, I really liked him. Nice to know we have someone like Paul Ranger possibly suiting up for the Leafs.

We have some amazing defense prospects and now that we're going to focus on playing a 2 way game, I'm really excited to see how much better we can get just by paying more attention to D.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
ponder

Let's not get *TOO* excited talking about him as a top 4 NHL dman and whatnot. He signed a minor league contract with the Marlies, and is expected to play in the AHL, not the NHL. He was a pretty solid dman before he left the game for personal reasons, but he has more or less taken 3 straight years off, it's going to be tough for him to get back to that level. I certainly hope he makes it back, who knows what he went through that made him quit hockey but it must have been fairly serious, but I wouldn't expect him to make the Leafs immediately or anything like that.

Not your standard sports interview, that's for sure. Very personal, honest and emotional.

Last edited by ponder: 09-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote