HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 01:03 AM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
So much wrong with this post.....
Your response is exactly what I was talking about. I point out very valid problems that have been problems since the day the leafs drafted him, and they continue to be problems to this day. All of the things he needs to improve on, consistency, being strong on the puck, protecting the puck, maturity and most importantly, commitment to being a professional athlete, are things he hasn't improved. Everyone keeps saying to be patient, but if he wants a job he should act like he needs to earn it. Regardless of his debatable hockey skills, I'm concerned that I see a kid who probably won't ever figure out that he needs to work for it. So much has been given in his career, and he's way too used to it. Being a minor celebrity and playing in Toronto despite being in the AHL isn't helping him either. That guy needs a few years in an outpost if he's ever going to get it to sink in. These are very valid concerns, but they get glossed over. They see a fancy clip on youtube and figure he can't miss.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-21-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old
11-21-2012, 07:21 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Your response is exactly what I was talking about. I point out very valid problems that have been problems since the day the leafs drafted him, and they continue to be problems to this day. All of the things he needs to improve on, consistency, being strong on the puck, protecting the puck, maturity and most importantly, commitment to being a professional athlete, are things he hasn't improved. Everyone keeps saying to be patient, but if he wants a job he should act like he needs to earn it. Regardless of his debatable hockey skills, I'm concerned that I see a kid who probably won't ever figure out that he needs to work for it. So much has been given in his career, and he's way too used to it. Being a minor celebrity and playing in Toronto despite being in the AHL isn't helping him either. That guy needs a few years in an outpost if he's ever going to get it to sink in. These are very valid concerns, but they get glossed over. They see a fancy clip on youtube and figure he can't miss.
At least give him some credit. He's our best forward prospect and you don't see many of our players make AHL of the week. He's still far away from bust status and his development is where it should be for a 7th overall pick. Eakins said in one of his interviews late October that Kadri has been hitting the gym a lot more and has been showing commitment. He is understanding it now. If he does strenuous training next summer, he can easily make top 6. In my opinion he deserves a full NHL season now though (once the lockout is done).

Old
11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
At every level he's played hockey at. It's essentially his play style.
Except the NHL, clearly.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't understand the Nazem Kadri hate. If he were on any other team in the NHL, people would be raving about him. I like Kadri - I just don't think that the Leafs organization is the right organization for him to develop in.

Part of the problem with Kadri was Ron Wilson and how he handled him. First it was Kadri didn't have a good enough defensive game. Then, when he improved his defensive game and got recalled to Toronto, Wilson put him on the 4th line and complained that he wasn't producing enough offense.

Then, you get to Marlies training camp and Dallas Eakins throws him under a bus for being out of shape. Let's not forget that Kadri had spent the summer working out with Gary Roberts and probably added about 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. Yeah, he was carrying a little extra weight, but there was no reason for the organization to humiliate him like that. Now, we're seeing that Kadri can certainly play and play well with his peers.

The Leafs organization has done Kadri no favours at all. When Kadri finally gets to the NHL though, it's going to be well worth the trials and tribulations. You can't teach the hands and the game breaking ability he has.

As for the comparison to Schenn, two completely different players. Each brings a different skill set to the table. Both are going to be very good players in the future. Each team should be happy with the player they have.
You don't have to hate a person to believe they aren't the second coming of hockey Jesus. If Kadri was on any other team, say the Bruins, we'd be downplaying his accomplishments and talking about how he hasn't made the NHL yet. It's just the way it goes around these parts. You've got to take the good with the bad and not develop a persecution complex about it.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Except the NHL, clearly.
Clearly Max Pacioretty was destined for NHL futility after compiling a grand spanking 6G 19A in 86 NHL games by age 22.

Instead of taking every opportunity to crap on the kid give him a chance

Old
11-21-2012, 09:42 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Clearly Max Pacioretty was destined for NHL futility after compiling a grand spanking 6G 19A in 86 NHL games by age 22.

By age 23 he was pretty much the team's 2nd best/best player

Old
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM
sharks9

Quote:

Actually, at 22 he put up 14G 10A and 24P in only 37 games. He was also a late first-rounder, whereas Kadri is expected do more as a top-10 pick.

If Kadri wasn't a top-10 pick there wouldn't be as much talk of him being a bust.

Old
11-21-2012, 11:27 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
By age 23 he was pretty much the team's 2nd best/best player
Point, meet head.

Quote:
Actually, at 22 he put up 14G 10A and 24P in only 37 games. He was also a late first-rounder, whereas Kadri is expected do more as a top-10 pick.

If Kadri wasn't a top-10 pick there wouldn't be as much talk of him being a bust.
Right, carry on with your hate. Point is Patches wasn't a star out of the gate, in fact he struggled until he hit his stride at age 22 + a few months. Kadri just turned 22. Why don't you give him the same courtesy you would to your own damn player before writing him off as nothing more than an AHL/CHL star.

Quote:
Game breaking ability? When has he ever shown that?
Quote:
At every level he's played hockey at. It's essentially his play style.
Quote:
Except the NHL, clearly.
Hypocrite

Old
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

There is a ton of unwarranted hate for this kid on here, he clearly hasn't been given a chance with the leafs. I don't know how you can label someone so young who had so little chances to prove himself as a bust. Kid has all the tools, just needs to make smarter decisions on/off the ice.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
There is a ton of unwarranted hate for this kid on here, he clearly hasn't been given a chance with the leafs. I don't know how you can label someone so young who had so little chances to prove himself as a bust. Kid has all the tools, just needs to make smarter decisions on/off the ice.
so youre saying he has to be a better person and be a better hockey player

yeah that doesnt seem like much of a problem, he'll be fine

Old
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Where/when did I say he has to be a better person and a better hockey player?

I was talking about his decision making with and without the puck (on ice) and eating healthy and committing himself to his training (off the ice). From what I've read from coaches interviews this seems to sum up what they are asking of him. Not really sure how that translates to being a better person and hockey player, I've never met him so I don't think it's fair for me to judge what kind of person he is and he was drafted 7th overall...he must be doing something right as a hockey player.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Right, carry on with your hate. Point is Patches wasn't a star out of the gate, in fact he struggled until he hit his stride at age 22 + a few months. Kadri just turned 22. Why don't you give him the same courtesy you would to your own damn player before writing him off as nothing more than an AHL/CHL star.

Hypocrite
Why is it ridiculous to think Kadri won't be an NHL star? It's not like I'm saying he won't make the NHL and will be an AHLer for life. I just don't think he has game-breaking ability, especially at the NHL level, like that poster claimed he did.

Hypocrite? How? I never claimed Pacioretty had elite game-breaking ability.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

smarter decisions off the ice could be as simple as diet/ proper hydration. The hate he gets on here is atleast entertaining. please keep it coming.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous to think Kadri won't be an NHL star? It's not like I'm saying he won't make the NHL and will be an AHLer for life. I just don't think he has game-breaking ability, especially at the NHL level, like that poster claimed he did.

Hypocrite? How? I never claimed Pacioretty had elite game-breaking ability.
I can live with that. See how well you can get a message across without snarky comments like, "Except the NHL, clearly". Thing is, he has game-breaking ability, good vision. I think one of the main reasons he was withheld from an NHL roster spot last season was because of lack of strength (on his skates). The kid got pushed around too easily.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
I can live with that. See how well you can get a message across without snarky comments like, "Except the NHL, clearly". Thing is, he has game-breaking ability, good vision. I think one of the main reasons he was withheld from an NHL roster spot last season was because of lack of strength (on his skates). The kid got pushed around too easily.
If you watched him on the Marlies this year, he's a little stronger on his skates. He doesn't get knocked over as much either.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
You know, I hate to admit it because I really like Kadri, but he's extremely overrated.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
You know, I hate to admit it because I really like Kadri, but he's extremely overrated.
Lol....

Maybe by a COUPLE leafs fans, but other than that hes extremely underrated by other fans.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
TieClark

lol I'm horrible... I read that as extremely overweight

Old
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Half the leafs fan base dislikes him lol.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Question for people who have watched Kadri a lot, where do you think his best fit at the NHL level would be, LW, C, or RW?

Old
11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
What?

Old
11-21-2012, 05:00 PM
bzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
It's true.

1/4 hated him the moment he was drafted
1/4 hated him during the post-draft years
1/2 say they like him but would rather have B.Schenn

Old
11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
It's true.

1/4 hated him the moment he was drafted
1/4 hated him during the post-draft years
1/2 say they like him but would rather have B.Schenn
at this point it should me more like 99/100 would rather have Braden Schenn...

no offense but I really dont see why anyone would rather have Kadri than Schenn

Old
11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Where in that post did RogerRoeper say anything about Kadri being a MVP?

& for your last point, no not really. Check out who else was drafted that year, and not many of them are that much further ahead. Anyway, how else could he be doing any better? Their's no NHL, and he's at a ppg in the AHL. I thinks he's doing fine, and still has lots of time to become a top six forward in the best league in the world.

He wasn't benched because of performance, it's because it was his 3rd game in 3 days. Eakins wanted fresh legs in the line up...
Sure, lets look at the draft:
Tavares - nuff said
Hedman - pretty solid defensemen, eats up alot of ice time
Duchene - had two really strong years to start off, injuries hurt him last year
Kane - 30 goal scorer in the league
Schenn - put up serious numbers everywhere he went, played decent enough in his first year as a pro
OEL - had a nice year last in his first full season

And now we come to Kadri. The majority of the players picked after him, saved for a handful, havent done anything special in the league. So he can pretty much be considered the cutoff for someone who still has something to prove or someone who is established. He can easily go either way, either being a solid player, or someone who has the talent but cant put "it" together. So while him winning one player of the week award is good, it doesnt automatically make him back on the right track.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
at this point it should me more like 99/100 would rather have Braden Schenn...

no offense but I really dont see why anyone would rather have Kadri than Schenn
If you add up the totals, he was saying half hate him period(and would obviously prefer him to B. Schenn), while the other half also like him, but still prefer Schenn to him.

Closed Thread