HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Watching him last night, I wasn't really impressed. He had a really nice assist, but was a real non-factor. He actually reminds me a bit of a less talented Kovalev. He plays when he wants to, and leaves a lot to be desired. It takes a coach benching him to actually wake him up. He was also poor defensively and didn't contribute to that aspect much.

Head-to-head, I thought Silfverberg was much better. Goal and an assist. Helped out a lot on defense. Gave it his all every shift. I'd watch out for him as he's starting to heat up after adjusting to the North American game.
Kadri is definitely prone to off games but if he can collect points in games when he's not particularly on its a good sign. I am tired of hearing Silfverberg's name though. Here's a prospect who put up good numbers in the 4th best league in the world and he's being pimped by Senators fans as if he were a blue-chipper. Putting up points in a mens league isn't as great when the talent in said league is watered down and the ice is much bigger

Old
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Chips*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Watching him last night, I wasn't really impressed. He had a really nice assist, but was a real non-factor. He actually reminds me a bit of a less talented Kovalev. He plays when he wants to, and leaves a lot to be desired. It takes a coach benching him to actually wake him up. He was also poor defensively and didn't contribute to that aspect much.

Head-to-head, I thought Silfverberg was much better. Goal and an assist. Helped out a lot on defense. Gave it his all every shift. I'd watch out for him as he's starting to heat up after adjusting to the North American game.
Poor defensively, +1 in a 3-2 loss. Kadri had a good game.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
All this thread is telling me is I should hate Sam gagner less than I do
It's like I say in Fantasy Football... guys that will put up numbers are ones that have opportunity and protection. However, the former always triumphs over the latter in terms of importance.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:39 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Kadri is definitely prone to off games but if he can collect points in games when he's not particularly on its a good sign. I am tired of hearing Silfverberg's name though. Here's a prospect who put up good numbers in the 4th best league in the world and he's being pimped by Senators fans as if he were a blue-chipper. Putting up points in a mens league isn't as great when the talent in said league is watered down and the ice is much bigger
But this thread... love it!

Old
11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Pretty much agree with everything you've said(other than the bolded), not too sure if you were trying to prove me wrong, or if you were agreeing with me.

1st bolded: Kadri has been on par statistics wise with B. Schenn pretty well in all leagues. Excluding earlier junior years, and the NHL playoffs last year(which you can't hold against Nazem) There pretty even in PPG in the NHL. Schenn has like 3 more points this year in the AHL. I'm not saying Kadri is better than Schenn, because i'd take Schenn, ten times out of ten over Kadri, and he also has other components to his game that Kadri does not. But to say, Schenn has "put up serious numbers everywhere he went, played decent enough in his first year as a pro" and Kadri has not is not fair.

2nd bolded: Kadri is PPG in the AHL while their is no season in the NHL. Saying he isn't on track isn't fair either, but saying he is exceeding expectations is also wrong. I firmly believe if the season started in October, Nazem would've secured a spot in the top nine somewhere on the leafs. I believe he is ready for the big show, but who knows what the leafs brass are thinking. He's only 21, lots of time for him to make the NHL.
Nothing wrong with ripening prospects in the NHL.
Kadri now 31st in AHL scoring...Schenn now 3rd.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
4th best league? This year it's more like 5th or 6th best league in the world. However any other year only NHL and KHL are superior leagues.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Poor defensively, +1 in a 3-2 loss. Kadri had a good game.
+/- doesn't tell the whole story. Ian White had a better +/- than Shea Weber last year.

Last edited by SixthSens: 11-27-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Nothing I said in my post wasn't true.

+/- doesn't tell the whole story. Ian White had a better +/- than Shea Weber last year.
The thing with Kadri is, if he had been minus 1 it would be used agaisnt him, but if he were plus one like he was tonight, then he gets comments about how plus minus doesn't mean anything.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
The thing with Kadri is, if he had been minus 1 it would be used agaisnt him, but if he were plus one like he was tonight, then he gets comments about how plus minus doesn't mean anything.
That may be true, but I wouldn't use +/- to judge a player's defensive ability. I'm not saying that others wouldn't, because I'm sure they would, but I wouldn't.

He'll be better than a lot of posters here think he'll be. I definitely see him making the NHL. Where, though, is hard to say. I never said he's bad defensively, I said he didn't impress me in this game.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Thats why +/- stat is so arbitrary. Players should be judged by there performance not their statline. How does one know without watching that the -1 a player got was from just stepping on the ice as a goal is scored or making a horrible turnover?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
16 games in with 6 point difference...

If we're going to say it's too small of an example in one case, lets at least be consistent.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
birddog*

Quote:

Ottawa fan, just came to tell you Ottawa prospect is better.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:34 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
zeke is the same poster who said Bozak was better than Plekanec because of his ppg pace in his first season with the Leafs.

Stats tell little if almost nothing a lot of cases without context.
that was just around when you habs fans were comparing pleks to spezza, right?

11-12

J.Spezza (28): 80gms, 34gls, 84pts, +11, 19:55 (82gms, 35gls, 86pts, +11)
T.Bozak (25): 73gms, 18gls, 47pts, -7, 18:51 (82gms, 20gls, 53pts, -8)
T.Pleks (29): 81gms, 17gls, 52pts, -15, 20:45 (82gms, 17gls, 53pts, -15)

Career:

J.Spezza (28): 606gms, 226gls, 616pts, +77, 18:41 (82gms, 31gls, 83pts, +10)
T.Pleks (29): 551gms, 142gls, 363pts, +18, 18:00 (82gms, 21gls, 54pts, +3)
T.Bozak (25): 192gms, 41gls, 106pts, -41, 19:06 (82gms, 18gls, 45pts, -18)

Old
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Fun times: Small sample-size sure, but fatty is now PPG at both the AHL and NHL level in 12/13..

Old
01-22-2013, 08:41 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
I really don't get the hate for this kid, he's chippy and can produce offensively, he's definitely not soft(don't know where people get this from). Don't know much about his defensive game since I don't watch him much, but he stood out for me in last nights game for sure(maybe it was the goal he scored ).

Old
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
TMLFC
TheLuckySock-2016

vCash: 50
Sample size is small, but i see something in him.....he is starting to get creative with the puck, showing some great vision and awareness.

Look forward to him being a regular top 6 player.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Darylman

Don't know if this was mentioned, but the reason he looked so out of shape is because he lost about 15 pounds working with Roberts and so his body looked 'unsightly'. He has referred to this in interviews claiming only him and Gary really know the story, and that is he's in the best shape of his life. Eakins said one week later he looked great and obviously he's putting up the points now and looking very shifty doing so.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
RipCityPuckers

Very impressed with him thus far

Leafs best player through 2 games in my opinion

Old
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 1020
Kid has sick, sick hands.
Probably not going to be a first-line talent but can top at 3rd/2nd line scoring with some edge.

Media talking heads are talking out of their tushies as usual. Not every player comes in at 19-20 years old and settles into a first-line role. Some take longer and Kadri looks like one of those.
You have to wonder if the shift to Nonis helps his case though.

Last edited by BuckyDornster: 01-22-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Pineapples make fine juice.
Old
01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

For both games Kadri has been the most impactful player for the leafs. Every time he touches the puck he seems to produce a chance. It took Carlyle two games to realize that Kadri should be on the first PP unit. First game against Montreal, he saw the final 20 seconds in the first PP and scored a goal. He wasnt given PP time after this. We had about 3 minutes of two man advantage against Buffalo in the first period and Kadri didnt step foot on the ice. Only in the third did Carlyle run him. With 3 minutes to go we pull the goalie and sure enough Kadri is the extra man. Johnny on the spot and gets us back into the game.

He is hands down the most talented leaf player, but definitely not the most complete. Kessel is better because of speed and shot.

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 01-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
toewsintangibles

Dat 66.7% shooting

Old
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Look at all these posters in this thread pretending to know Kadri. Fools.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Kadri now has the same amount of points in 12 less NHL games, lol.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Kadri now has the same amount of points in 12 less NHL games, lol.
Specify.. IN THE NHL.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Fun times: Small sample-size sure, but fatty is now PPG at both the AHL and NHL level in 12/13..
Meanwhile Kessel is on pace for 0 goals and Lupul for 0 points.

Small sample sizes are small.

Closed Thread