HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 07:59 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
Unnecessarily high? He trained with Roberts this offseason. His BF% is lower than last season. Stop. Reread that last sentence. All current signs point to Roberts's program improving this kid. His BF, relative to one of the best teams in the AHL, is not elite. So what? Let's see the full effect of his training regime when he - I don't know - actually plays some games?
No games don't count. HF already decided how he will do this season and he MUST be traded to succeed.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Stay on topic or you will be removed from the discussion. That includes leaving the bickering, fan base bashing, etc. out of this thread.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
You appear to be the only person who is unaware.
Believe me. I'm aware.

Dirty bulking is pretty much stuffing **** down your throat. Burgers, fried chicken, whatever, just a lot. Usually the foods you eat contain a lot of fat and protein. There's no real diet pretty much.

What Kadri did was not a dirty bulk lol. No matter what, you're going to gain fat while gaining muscle mass or atleast its really difficult not to. There's stuff you can take to prevent that though.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:06 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
He could still bulk quickly by essentially forcefeeding wholesome healthy foods and keeping his macronutrients in check. If this was the case he likely wouldn't be coming into camp with an unnecessarily high BF%
He was very clear he's been eating very healthy foods, that it took time to get used to but he knew he had to do it.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:53 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
I would trade Kristo for Kadri right now if I could.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

If Kadri's body fat was high now, how would he survive in a city with Steamies, Poutine and Smoke Meat Pete? Be realistic now people. Perhaps Vancouver would work where the occassional munchies is no big thing.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
I would trade Kristo for Kadri right now if I could.
I would not complain about that.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:01 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
If Kadri's body fat was high now, how would he survive in a city with Steamies, Poutine and Smoke Meat Pete? Be realistic now people. Perhaps Vancouver would work where the occassional munchies is no big thing.
A change of scenery could be good for him and I'm thinking that him growing up a Habs fan could give him the drive to succeed in Montreal.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
topchowda

The only thing this has brought to light is that the leafs and marlies organization are very quick to throw their players under the bus and Kadri lacks the dedication to be a leader and show up to training camp in shape. He is an older prospect who should be expected to be mature by now. Show that you care a bit about trying to make the NHL. He should be benchmarking himself to NHL players, not AHL players

Old
09-28-2012, 09:30 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Kadri lacks the dedication to be a leader and show up to training camp in shape.
You are jumping to conclusions that don't exist. It's kinda frustrating to me.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
A change of scenery could be good for him and I'm thinking that him growing up a Habs fan could give him the drive to succeed in Montreal.
It was a joke. People complain he's eating junk food, but in Montreal he'd eat all day long. Mmmm, I love that food.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Maybe the rest of the Marlies just have a really, really good body fat percentage.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas: 09-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old
09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

When you're an established NHL player there's really no excuse. Kadri's only just gotten a taste of the big leagues. Whether you consider him a bust or not he's a kid; plenty of room to grow mentally and physically.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
What Kadri did was not a dirty bulk lol. No matter what, you're going to gain fat while gaining muscle mass or atleast its really difficult not to. There's stuff you can take to prevent that though.
My thoughts as well. One of the criticisms levelled at him over the last few years on here has been size and strength on the puck. Not entirely surprised he doesn't have super amazing body fat results while trying to fix that. The fact that he was able to drop his BF% while bulking up is fairly impressive to me as a layman. Probably par for the course as a professional athlete though.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
They're with the Schenn fanboys who declared "wouldn't get rid of Schenn after a summer with Barbara Underhill"
I don't see what that has to do with anything.

People have said all along...Schenn's biggest problem is skating. He fixes that and he's well on his way to being a good shutdown D that can chip in 20-25 points.

As far as Kadri goes...I don't know ANY prospect of any other team that is under more pressure than Kadri. Not even 1st overalls are scrutinized this much.

I can understand the media though. If there was no lockout, there wouldn't be this article. Since there is and we have nothing to talk about..might as well get something.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Off the top of my head Stamkos, Skinner, Neal attribute some (a lot?) of their success to Roberts. I believe Mike Smith trains with him as well. There are many more, but I'd have to do a quick google search.
I know Jordan Staal, Neal, & Stamkos all give him a lot of credit for helping them get to the next level conditioning wise. On the other end it only works if they are committed to the program. Roberts can't physically make them stick to a diet or continue training when he isn't around.

This all sounds like a maturation process. It takes some time for some players to realize how important this stuff is.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
He'll play great with Kessel.

(someone probably said this already but I'm too lazy to go through 7 pages)

Old
09-28-2012, 10:13 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Won't be concerned with him unless he regresses in the upcoming season. AHL should be a bit more competitive, and hopefully he takes that next step. He's not fat/out of shape, etc, and hasn't even gone through many of the fitness tests at the camp (camp started today).

Old
09-28-2012, 10:18 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Problem is living in Vancouver tends to increase the amount of times you get the munchies. I've heard some people are afflicted 3 or 4 times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Maybe the rest of the Marlies just have a really, really good body fat percentage.
You're being sarcastic, but you might be right.

Kadri was on a bulking up routine. You need to get a little fat on the frame to have fuel for the muscles, otherwise they will break themselves down to get energy.

You ever heard a skinny guy complain about not being able to put on weight? There ya go.
Easy to get lean once you have reached your goal size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
He'll play great with Kessel.

(someone probably said this already but I'm too lazy to go through 7 pages)
They can practice passing Big Macs to each other.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Daniel Sedin did not.

Also, most of the guys I mentioned barely played in the NHL at 21 or younger and if they did, their point totals were similar. That was my point.
The Sedins were playing the PK and third line duties for the first few years of their career.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Didn't read any of the posts. heard the Eakins interview

I see this as a great , great move by Eakins. Kadri MAY be out of shape. But i think they are trying to get the fullest effort out of this kid. Dallas knows the player he has is not a fragile feline who will cower if he is told he needs to shape up. He wants a fire lit under this kids ass, he wants to bring him down to earth and build him into a dedicated NHL player.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:45 AM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Well that would translate to 31.16 points in an 82 game season.

Lets look at others and how some others did:

Henrik Sedin: 29 points in 82 games at age 20. 36 points in 82 games at age 21. 39 points in 78 games at age 22(almost 23). He was given s much better opportunity to succeed is also worth noting.

Daniel Sedin: 34 points in 75 games at age 20. 32 points in 79 games at age 21. 31 points in 79 games at age 22 (almost 23). He was actually getting worse

Corey Perry: At the same age Kadri is now played 56 games, 25 points.

Loui Eriksson: at age 22, had 19 points in 59 games.

Patrick Sharp: Age 22 had 7 career points in 44 games. Age 24 had 31 points in 72 games. Age 25 had 35 points in 80 games.

Ryan Kesler: At age 23 he had 44 points in 158 career games. That would translate to 22.84 points over 82 games. Well below Kadri's pace.

These guys are all 3rd liners right?

Point is, he is ONLY 21. Tons and tons of guys make 0 impact until after that, too much talent to give up on.
Because I'm too lazy to check, how many of those players went back to the farm after being called up?

Old
09-29-2012, 12:55 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Well that would translate to 31.16 points in an 82 game season.

Lets look at others and how some others did:

Henrik Sedin: 29 points in 82 games at age 20. 36 points in 82 games at age 21. 39 points in 78 games at age 22(almost 23). He was given s much better opportunity to succeed is also worth noting.

Daniel Sedin: 34 points in 75 games at age 20. 32 points in 79 games at age 21. 31 points in 79 games at age 22 (almost 23). He was actually getting worse

Corey Perry: At the same age Kadri is now played 56 games, 25 points.

Loui Eriksson: at age 22, had 19 points in 59 games.

Patrick Sharp: Age 22 had 7 career points in 44 games. Age 24 had 31 points in 72 games. Age 25 had 35 points in 80 games.

Ryan Kesler: At age 23 he had 44 points in 158 career games. That would translate to 22.84 points over 82 games. Well below Kadri's pace.

These guys are all 3rd liners right?

Point is, he is ONLY 21. Tons and tons of guys make 0 impact until after that, too much talent to give up on.
Nazem is just over a week from his 22nd birthday, a week before his 22nd birthday Corey Perry had played 101 NHL regular season games (69 points) and was in the middle of a Cup run. Manipulation at its best because Kadri's birthday is a couple weeks after the cut off so you're trying to give him a whole year of development on Perry. Four OHL seasons and then two pro seasons later and Kadri is way, way, way behind where Perry was at the same stage with a fraction of the accomplishments. A seventh overall pick doing so little in the NHL his first two pro seasons has to be at least a little worrisome. Most of the guys listed didn't have Kadri's draft pedigree and as a result bloomed later (as they bloomed post draft). Kadri was drafted the same OHL round as Stamkos, MDZ, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Hodgson. He should be just as far as long or at least close to one of them. Hodgson severely jacked up his back and still has twice the NHL production. Kadri is definitely not a bust yet but I think his window to become an effective player for the Toronto Maple Leafs is shrinking. If they grew tired of Schenn so quickly I don't see why Kadri couldn't be out the door soon.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 09-29-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old
09-29-2012, 01:12 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
The fact that his body fat is actually lower then last season atleast means there has been progress. Im guessing Eakins expect a massive change this offseason, but body fat % means little to nothing in overall fittness. There is a large majority of 'fat' and overweight professional athletes who succeed to elite levels. Hell last season Ovechkin was chubby. His play on ice, endurance, and overrall strength (comparitive to lasti) in his game should dictate how well he worked this offseason, not his body fat %.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:20 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Anyone else find it strange that Byfugliens fat thread is only 5 pages in while Kadri's not the worst on his team but in the lower quarter of body fat % is on the 8th page?

Closed Thread