HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash left game in Davos (Update: Not serious)

Old
09-29-2012, 04:45 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Let the players decide what's best for them themselves.
Aside from that, it's not like the NLA is some kind of bush-league, I'd probably rank them in the same category as the Finnish and the German league.
He'll get all the medical attention he needs, Switzerland generally has a very good health care system.
Just relax, guys.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
rather than being upset about the players playing overseas we should be grateful that they had the foresight to take nashy out instead of risking anything more serious happening to the shoulder.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
That's not so badddd. He'll do his due diligence to rest up the shoulder 100%. NYR will tell him to do that and he won't jeopardize things just to play early for Davos.

Better yet, the officiating people told officials and refs to not ref or officiate for any other league because it might risk injury.
The Ranger organization has absolutely no control over Nash until the lockout is over. They cannot tell him what to do or what not to do, they are not allowed to communicate with him in any way.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:28 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Ranger organization has absolutely no control over Nash until the lockout is over. They cannot tell him what to do or what not to do, they are not allowed to communicate with him in any way.
They can "pass along" messages through his agent. That's where they are getting their info about his injury.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
They can "pass along" messages through his agent. That's where they are getting their info about his injury.
I'm not sure that's correct--I remember reading somewhere that teams could not communicate with a player's agent either (although I've been too busy to take more than a quick stab at finding that tidbit). I could also see the NHLPA not allowing their members' agents to communicate with people who are part of the NHL structure too--teams could then threaten players through their agents or the agents themselves. In any case, there's plenty of ways for information to reach the Rangers (the Swiss league made an annoucement about Nash's condition). However, they have absolutely no ability under league rules to manage Nash's injury anymore than they can pass along possible contracts to Del Zotto's agent in the hopes of hitting the ground running when a new CBA is finalized. There is one certainty throughout this whole mess: Bettman will swing his fine and possibly take a way draft picks axe on any team violating the NHL's rules.

Old
09-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
I can't believe how some people can say "the players shouldn't play hockey during the lockout." just tells you how much some can't understand what hockey is and what it takes to maintain the level of physical ability you have once gained.

You seriously believe you'd be better off for having the players do nothing during the lockout instead of playing and skating?

I'll take players maintaining their abilites and risking a season over an injury over not skating and being dead weight and bad shape any time.
This. I'd rather our players be working on their skills and developing game shape.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Pascal85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
What I don't understand is how there's hitting in a Euro league?

??
WTF is wrong w/ you guys ?!? Rick Nash is a Hockey Player. Your League is not able to provide a Game Schedule. So what does a professional hockey player do? Playing HOCKEY ! RIGHT !!! WTF ?!?

Last edited by Pascal85: 10-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Pascal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Someone gave the Rangers the results to the Nash MRI.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
The rangers do have power over whether he's cleared to play or not when he comes back. And if he's not cleared to play he won't get paid until he is because he got injured outside of the NHL.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
The rangers do have power over whether he's cleared to play or not when he comes back. And if he's not cleared to play he won't get paid until he is because he got injured outside of the NHL.
Sure, the Rangers can always (as the old saying goes) cut off their nose to spite their face. And maybe they will prevent Lundqvist from suiting up too--if he plays in Sweden--because he got a hang nail there. Hagelin might bring back illegal food and they can prevent him from playing because he violated US Dept of Agriculture rules?

And players may very well continue to have certain rights to contest the decision under CBA rules, if it's not based on facts. Plus, Nash can still sue the organization because they are punishing him for taking a job while the league locked out the players.

Needless to say, we are entering theatre of the absurb--the Rangers are not going to punish Nash or any other player for playing abroad or wherever during the lockout..

Old
10-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Sure, the Rangers can always (as the old saying goes) cut off their nose to spite their face. And maybe they will prevent Lundqvist from suiting up too--if he plays in Sweden--because he got a hang nail there. Hagelin might bring back illegal food and they can prevent him from playing because he violated US Dept of Agriculture rules?

And players may very well continue to have certain rights to contest the decision under CBA rules, if it's not based on facts. Plus, Nash can still sue the organization because they are punishing him for taking a job while the league locked out the players.

Needless to say, we are entering theatre of the absurb--the Rangers are not going to punish Nash or any other player for playing abroad or wherever during the lockout..
Not what I mean.. If nash is 100% healthy he will play, but if he's not 100% healthy the rangers might consider making him sit for a while (versus letting him play hurt).

And FWIW, I'd rather have the players playing somewhere rather then sitting on their *****. If I sit on my ass for 2 weeks my body gets lazy and I feel like crap when I start working out again. I can't imagine what it's like for world class athletes to sit on their ass for any extended period of time.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Let the players decide what's best for them themselves.
Aside from that, it's not like the NLA is some kind of bush-league, I'd probably rank them in the same category as the Finnish and the German league.
He'll get all the medical attention he needs, Switzerland generally has a very good health care system.
Just relax, guys.
There's no way that the DEL or NLA are on par with the SM-Liiga. I agree with the rest of what you say though.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There's no way that the DEL or NLA are on par with the SM-Liiga. I agree with the rest of what you say though.
I think the SM-liiga is better for sure, but I don't really know how much. I've seen very little from DEL/NLA like the last handful of years.

Going back 5-10 years though, the DEL and NLA were very uneven leagues. There were a limit on forigners (3 I think), and those top 3 stars on each team could measure themselfs with the top 3 of any team in Europe. But the level of play between the national players on the lower lines and the stars on the top line differed alot. The result was that the top players played alot, which brought down the tempo some, and it created a certain type of atmosphere that wasn't perfect.

In Finland you have very sound hockey organizations in the SM-liiga. Teams over here has their own junior operation. Take TPS Åbo for example, a good SM-liiga team. Like a 5 year old can suit up for TPS Åbo. They have their own style of hockey more or less. Just like say Detroit or NJ or Philly. A pretty big portion of the roster in the SM-liigaa is also a result of that junior operation, and those kids i) are well trained and ii) born into the style of the men's team, so to speak. Natrually few stay with the same org from when they are 5 until they are 35, but its not unusual for vets to return from the NHL to their old team in Europe etc. Overall they get a great continuity. Since having a "good organization" can pay off so well (IE running your hockey operation well is basically twice as valuble as "drafting well" is in the NHL), it basically comes with the territory that organizations in Finland is very well run. You can also not only have an impact on the elite players on your men's team, these org's directly impacts how their 10 y/o's work out. And, you do not just work with your players in camp and during the season, off-seasons are always team events. You meet and work out as a group the entire off-season. If a coach says that they are going to work out as hard in the off-season as its humanly possible, a player will do just that unles he basically just don't show up or tells his coach to go F himself. Which of course never happens. There are no labor-agreements stipulating how many hrs during the season/summer can be put into training. In short, you need to run a state of the art organization in terms of training, tactics etc. Hence alot of effort is put into it.

Things in the DEL or the NLA are built on the same principles, but I still think that the SM-liigaa and SEL in these cases just are on a little higher level. Thats really the main diffrence. I think arguments could be made both ways in terms of money spent on rosters or results between the top teams of each league playing each other etc.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Not what I mean.. If nash is 100% healthy he will play, but if he's not 100% healthy the rangers might consider making him sit for a while (versus letting him play hurt).

And FWIW, I'd rather have the players playing somewhere rather then sitting on their *****. If I sit on my ass for 2 weeks my body gets lazy and I feel like crap when I start working out again. I can't imagine what it's like for world class athletes to sit on their ass for any extended period of time.
Sorry about that--it was late for me. And I agree too--if there is a season, players (and the teams they play for) who played in other leagues will definitely be at an advantage. Sather even agrees....

Quote:
Despite Nash’s scare — an MRI revealed no structural damage — Rangers general manager Glen Sather said he was not particularly worried about such a scenario.

"It’s no different playing over there than playing here because here you can get hurt playing in the American League (AHL) or you can get hurt playing junior," Sather said. "I don’t think it’s a huge risk for anyone to play.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17....html?page=all

Old
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Do the Rangers have a say?

10-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Do the Rangers have a say?
Sure they do--once the lockout is over (and I believe that's what Hockey Team meant).

Old
10-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Sure they do--once the lockout is over (and I believe that's what Hockey Team meant).
I dont follow. The lockout isnt over. Therefore the Rangers have zero say in how Davos employs Nash

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont follow. The lockout isnt over. Therefore the Rangers have zero say in how Davos employs Nash
Obviously, but I was responding to someone who was talking about after the lockout was over and Nash was still hurt from an injury that happened in Europe. Then the Rangers can prevent him from playing until he's recovered fully. Thankfully, this appears to be a moot point since Nash isn't badly hurt.