HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Man, if NHLPA doesn't take a 50/50 split then I don't know what.
And this is why the NHL has played this PR game perfectly. This deal has put everyone on the NHL's side with the expectation that the NHLPA should accept. 50/50 was what the NHL was aiming for all along. Pressure is on NHLPA now

This article explains it pretty well:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-hockey-strike

Well played Gary...

Old
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Not sure where some of these numbers are coming from but today was a good day.

50/50 - no complaints here at all. Fair offer from owners.
No salary loss - ditto
3 year ELC according to TSN - ditto
5 year max deal - player concession and not a big one IMO, in light of the rest.

Quote:
According to a source, the only one that remained in Tuesday's proposal was a maximum contract length of five years. The new league offer also called for unrestricted free agency to come into effect at age 28 or after eight years of service - one year later than the last CBA - and kept entry-level deals at three years.
We don't know the full details but this is a real offer and should form the basis of a good agreement hopefully.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Changing FB Page Name to be more reflective of new owner attitude, which is decidedly less greedy.

https://www.facebook.com/StandUpToNHLOwners

Still need to let them know we are more than happy to boycott their products if they deprive us of a season, but this is more reflective of the approach people should take in light of today's offer. I think the players will hopefully be receptive to this deal, assuming the owners didn't pad it with a bunch of "fuzzy math" on HRR, etc.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 10-16-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjmc View Post
While I agree with you that the players will argue about UFA being raised, in the end it really doesn't matter. 50% of HRR is 50% of HRR. ELC length, UFA age, contract length.... it's all about how that 50% gets divided among the players. Without a cap linked to revenue, UFA age is HUGE, now not so much.

I would like to see more details because nothing I have seen so far would address the asinine second contracts that we have seen since this cap was implemented. This is also why UFA matters less now because teams are locking up players with that second contract and very few "name players" are making it to UFA.
From what I've learned today...

They are trying to bump the ELC to two years. This way players are less likely to cash in on their second deals.

After seeing more details, I'm 100% sure the players will dig in their heels on length of contracts and push for 7 to 8 years.

Also heard this proposal will allow cap space to be moved in trades, up to 4 or 5 million.

This may get dicey for a week, but I have to try and go back to my original belief that common sense will prevail and then we all can get back to arguing about Tangradi and Martin.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

The PA won't like some of the details, but several players have said they know they have to take 50/50. Well, here it is and work around that. I do like the way the NHL went about this, just yesterday their focus group leaked and now all that PR thrown into the faces of the PA. Still not positive anything will happen (Parros just linked a site where you can buy lockout shirts that say "Let Them Play" ) but maybe this will get the ball moving.

Dreger says the PA conference call has ended and nothing is certain but a counter proposal is expected in the next 24-48 hours. He also included:
As we discussed on TSN's Sportscentre, NHL proposal includes the potential for retaining salary in trades.

Hmm, wonder how that works out

Old
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
From what I've learned today...

They are trying to bump the ELC to two years. This way players are less likely to cash in on their second deals.

After seeing more details, I'm 100% sure the players will dig in their heels on length of contracts and push for 7 to 8 years.

Also heard this proposal will allow cap space to be moved in trades, up to 4 or 5 million.

This may get dicey for a week, but I have to try and go back to my original belief that common sense will prevail and then we all can get back to arguing about Tangradi and Martin.
Thanks Jiggy, you are always informed on these matters. I just saw the 2 year ELC idea and I like it. Anything to put a drag on those second contracts is fine by me.

I also agree about contract length and suspect it was set so low as to allow it to be a bargaining point.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Gooch

I didnt have a problem with the previous length of contracts, I just had a problem with the fact they can sign them before they're 35 and then retire after 35 and the cap hit disappears off the books. If they were to eliminate that loophole then we wouldnt be seeing those 15 year cap circumventing contracts as no team wants to have a 41 year old player occupying a 6 mill cap hit with no ability to shove in the AHL to avoid it.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjmc View Post
Thanks Jiggy, you are always informed on these matters. I just saw the 2 year ELC idea and I like it. Anything to put a drag on those second contracts is fine by me.

I also agree about contract length and suspect it was set so low as to allow it to be a bargaining point.
Well we both know the players could give two left balls about ELC. So it won't be a huge point of contention.

For contract length, you have to think GMs want them longer so they can play with the cap and reduce the hit. Eight years is reasonable, but I hope it doesn't go beyond that.

Just heard on "That's Hockey" that Dreger said the players he talked to don't like the mechanism to protect their salaries. Said it is still a rollback/escrow. I'm assuming they are saying that because it is attached to growth? Dreger didn't clarify of course...

If they miss seven or eight games, it will cost them more than a rollback, which has no protection. Salary is gone forever. Gotta be smart fellas...

Old
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
If they miss seven or eight games, it will cost them more than a rollback, which has no protection. Salary is gone forever. Gotta be smart fellas...
At this point, a lot of it comes down to whether the players' advisers are honestly looking out for their clients' best interests or if they're more interested in winning a dick-measuring contest against the owners.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:45 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
At this point, a lot of it comes down to whether the players' advisers are honestly looking out for their clients' best interests or if they're more interested in winning a dick-measuring contest against the owners.
The problem with this may be convincing some of them that losing a season is bad when last time the NHL lost a season, many came out better. This is from an article I posted from the Star Tribune talking about the MN Wild and the NBA lockout last season. Older guys like Guerin, Andreychuk, and Modano questioned it, but...:

For every Guerin who lost $9 million that season, there were other, younger players who saw their salaries rolled back 24 percent as well but believe, seven years later, that they ultimately benefitted from that hard-fought deal.

Wild defenseman Nick Schultz is one of those guys.

"Now that it has passed, I don't even think about the money I lost," said Schultz, who had just signed a new three-year contract before the lockout. "It changed a lot of the rules. Now you see younger players coming out of their entry-level contract getting big deals. Before, you had to be 31 and work your way up before you earned your money.

"In that sense, it affected me: I became a free agent a lot younger than I would have, so I got more money sooner than I would have."

In 2008, Schultz signed a six-year, $21 million contract extension at age 25.

Here is the link again if you wan to read it all. But if they don't realize the consequences that they could be the Guerins and Modanos this time around...

Serious question, does anyone know how the NHLPA votes? Secret ballot or what?

Old
10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Owners NOT trying to change ELC length according to TSN. 3 Years stipulated in their proposal. Same as now. They ARE trying to change maximum contract length (5 years... probably a "start low" so they end up at 6 or 7 when the players say "8"), and UFA status (adding 1 year to current requirement).

Old
10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Serious question, does anyone know how the NHLPA votes? Secret ballot or what?
It's a secret ballot. It can be done online or in person, from what I recall.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:59 PM
stefanh

Another good part of the NHL proposal:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
stefanh

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...agues-proposal

Old
10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
It's a secret ballot. It can be done online or in person, from what I recall.
And do they vote on the NHL's proposals each time? I'm just wondering, as I'd be interested to know what the vote is around this time, even though Fehr may push them one way or another.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:50 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
Another good part of the NHL proposal:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.
I agree, but Crosby's contract is also frontloaded.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
I agree, but Crosby's contract is also frontloaded.
The frontloading doesn't matter in this instance. It's just that the cap hit would not disappear.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Yea its basically the 35+ contract, but for anyone whose contract is currently over 5 years long, regardless of age. How the cba used to be, if someone signed a huge deal at 34 years old or younger they could retire whenever and the hit went away. Now it counts no matter what, or they want it to I should say.

At least that's how I understand it.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yea its basically the 35+ contract, but for anyone whose contract is currently over 5 years long, regardless of age. How the cba used to be, if someone signed a huge deal at 34 years old or younger they could retire whenever and the hit went away. Now it counts no matter what, or they want it to I should say.

At least that's how I understand it.
That is how I took it too. I wonder if that includes injury retirements?

Old
10-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Owners NOT trying to change ELC length according to TSN. 3 Years stipulated in their proposal. Same as now. They ARE trying to change maximum contract length (5 years... probably a "start low" so they end up at 6 or 7 when the players say "8"), and UFA status (adding 1 year to current requirement).
The ELC length is still up for discussion as there is conflicting reports. Some saying 3 years and others 2 (Dreger mentioned as much last night). I honestly think 2 years is a great idea.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
That is how I took it too. I wonder if that includes injury retirements?
As long as said player is still on the team that originally signed him, they will just put him on LTIR until his contract ends. If said player is on another team, that team doesn't care about that or even worse, would want to hurt the other team by not putting him on LTIR. Now if the player still wants to get paid and not retire, then he can just say "I have a headache" and no one could prove otherwise. They should find a solution for this.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
The ELC length is still up for discussion as there is conflicting reports. Some saying 3 years and others 2 (Dreger mentioned as much last night). I honestly think 2 years is a great idea.
I think 2 has been confirmed now.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
And do they vote on the NHL's proposals each time? I'm just wondering, as I'd be interested to know what the vote is around this time, even though Fehr may push them one way or another.
I believe Fehr has to endorse a proposal before a vote can take place.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
stefanh

NHL actually posted their proposal on nhl.com:

Old
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
SidTheKid8787

Another thing the players should understand is, this was a last ditch effort by the league to save the full season. If the PA flubs this up things won't get better in terms of the owners being "fair".

I don't think many players have a problem with the 50/50. Cuz all the other major sports have that. The problem is the cash they expect from their contracts right now. They want that money and if they don't like the mechanism in which they get it back, this will go no where.

Closed Thread